Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

Totally different player. in case you didn't know, Dats, and Berg aren't power forwards. Our two power forwards are Gio and Gally which is tough on them for obvious reasons.

How do you know teams were calling about Plex...or Moen for that matter. Pleks being our best all around forward kind of explains why we've been so bad for so long. If you want to acquire a good player by trade you have to take chances or give something good in return. You aren't getting Simmonds or Coburn for Moen,Gorges,Diaz types or Bournival, Pateryn type prospects

Plekanec has been getting calls of interest per RDS. He's a solid 2-way center that teams obviously are kicking tires on. He would improve any team's penalty kill. I could see why we wouldn't want to lose him, but at the same time trade him since he has value.

What do you mean bad for so long? Do you hate everyone on the Canadiens?

And seriously, I never said we should trade spare parts for Simmonds and Cobourn.

What exactly is in it for Winnipeg? They downgrade their franchise forward for Desharnais and a prospect/pick? That doesn't sound ideal for them (and I'm not a big fan of Kane, his off-ice issues will be a massive distraction in Montreal if they were to continue). As for centres, they have Jokinen, Little (RFA), Frolik, Slater, Thorburn, and Scheifele. I don't think they really need a centre - maybe a defensive #3 but that's not Desharnais - and Burmistrov played the wing a lot of the time anyways.

I forgot about Scheifele, if anything, Burmistrov's departure gives him a better chance of finally playing a full season in Winnipeg if he's ready.

JCC10-- I have edited my post to say value rather than talent if that would help in the explaination. I am quite aware of all the roles of players. I got to see more out of Stewart before I put him in the class you have suggested. He was a no-show in the playoffs, but yeah a really nice season. Sorry, but at this stage PleKanec is much more valuable at least in my humble opinion.

Winnipeg and Blake Wheeler haven't signed a contract yet. They did give a qualifying offer so they still retain his RFA rights. There is also talk of Byfuglien being trade bait for them.

No idea on what the price would be for those two but it'd be interesting if Bergevin inquired.

I noticed that people have been saying we have been "bad for so long"... we were awful for a while but lets just look at some facts.

In the last six years...

Won Division 2 Times (07-08, 12-13)

Won Conference 1 Time (07-08)

Made it to the Conference Final Once (09-10)

Missed Playoffs Once

The Six Years before lockout we missed the playoffs 4/6 years. We were bad back then but we have come along way and have had some serious success.

Obviously we want cups, but we be proud of what the team has accomplished. More then any of the other Canadian teams recently (other then Vancouver).

I noticed that people have been saying we have been "bad for so long"... we were awful for a while but lets just look at some facts.

In the last six years...

Missed Playoffs Once

The Six Years before lockout we missed the playoffs 4/6 years. We were bad back then but we have come along way and have had some serious success.

Obviously we want cups, but we be proud of what the team has accomplished. More then any of the other Canadian teams recently (other then Vancouver).

Someone here actually tried to claim the Briere contract was worse than any move Gauthier or Houle made. People can have really, really terrible hockey opinions even when they cheer for the same team as you.

Someone here actually tried to claim the Briere contract was worse than any move Gauthier or Houle made. People can have really, really terrible hockey opinions even when they cheer for the same team as you.

Gauthier was the true architect of the Great Gomer Saga

Houle = Complete destruction of Stanley Cup winning team... leading to the longest payoff drought in team history.

Edit: Okay wasn't the longest ever. Tied with the three year absence from 1919-1922. Course I'm pretty sure the year before this started was when we had players die from influenza....

No Briere isnt crazy bad, could of been worse and have been Squid or Horton; but Briere is pretty much scrapping bottom of barrel. 1 year might of been OK, but 2 years sucks.

The Habs since Gainey's first rebuild got rolling have been what Gauthier said they were, believe it or not: a pretty good franchise that has not been able to vault into that "next level" of genuine Stanley Cup contender. As you'd expect of a team with this profile, we've had some golden seasons and playoffs where everything went our way (2008, 2010, 2013) and some disastrous years where everything went wrong (the second half of 2009, 2012), but mostly between the two. Because we've been a good organization, not a great one.

Along with the idea that

-it's been a decade of futility, and that

-Plekanec is a playoff bust

there's another myth that needs killing, which is that "no free agents want to come to Montreal." I'd thought the 2009 frenzy, when Gainey ran the table on high-profile UFAs, would have put that chestnut to rest once and for all, but the proposition has come up again and again this summer. I think it's bunk. Briere was in demand. He chose us.

Now I'm not crazy about Briere myself, not by a long shot. But contractually the deal will hurt us only if some stud UFAs come on the market next summer and we lack the cap space to lure them. If this summer's crop is any indication, that is not exactly a huge millstone.

I am relieved that Begevin didn't give David Clarkson, Ryane Clowe, or Vincent Lecavalier those anchor contracts..

Briere is making 4M, but its only for 2 years..Parros is below 1M and is an UFA at the end of the season...2 great contracts to let our youth develop while staying somewhat competitive...I still think Begevin isn't done on the trade market, though..

I agree, Demon. Something about the current forwards doesn't feel right.

LW: Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, Bourque, Prust, Moen

RW: Briere, Gionta, Gallagher, Parros

C: Plekanec, Desharnais, Eller, White

Now Bourque can be played LW or RW and Parros will be scratched for a lot of games but I'm still not convinced that's the lineup we're going in with. If the plan is to make Briere a centerman, then one of the centers (Plekanec, Eller, Desharnais) in the top nine have to go. If the plan is to keep Prust playing left wing in the top nine, that means either Bourque or Gionta seems the odd man out (likely Bourque). If we're hoping to have Prust on the fourth line and a strong left wing depth, that means Moen is gone. Something in that just doesn't seem to work for me.

There's a rumour on Twitter that Montreal currently wants Lars Eller and Alex Galchenyuk with Daniel Briere next season. Three natural centers on one line but with Galchenyuk and Briere likely to the wings. If that's the case it's hard to say where everyone else goes. That said, if I was to work some deduction on that concept:

Galchenyuk - Eller - Briere

Pacioretty - Desharnais - Gallagher

Prust - Plekanec - Gionta

Moen - White - Bourque/Parros

That puts Bourque as the odd man out of the top nine. And he makes no sense being paid $3.25M on the fourth line. I think he might be moved before the end of the summer. Just thinking aloud.

Now Bourque can be played LW or RW and Parros will be scratched for a lot of games but I'm still not convinced that's the lineup we're going in with. If the plan is to make Briere a centerman, then one of the centers (Plekanec, Eller, Desharnais) in the top nine have to go. If the plan is to keep Prust playing left wing in the top nine, that means either Bourque or Gionta seems the odd man out (likely Bourque). If we're hoping to have Prust on the fourth line and a strong left wing depth, that means Moen is gone. Something in that just doesn't seem to work for me.

There's a rumour on Twitter that Montreal currently wants Lars Eller and Alex Galchenyuk with Daniel Briere next season. Three natural centers on one line but with Galchenyuk and Briere likely to the wings. If that's the case it's hard to say where everyone else goes. That said, if I was to work some deduction on that concept:

That puts Bourque as the odd man out of the top nine. And he makes no sense being paid $3.25M on the fourth line. I think he might be moved before the end of the summer. Just thinking aloud.

None of these 4 RW can play LW at all ??

Simple solution to your puzzle

Bourque - Plekanec - Gionta

Prust - White - Moen/Parros

As your bottom 6.

The only issue here is that all 3 RWs are small.

As your bottom 6.

I considered that too, just moving Prust or Moen to the right wing but it isn't natural for them. I also don't think after such a great season they are going to keep Prust on the fourth line.

I just don't see Bergevin looking at the current roster and saying the pieces are set for 2013-2014.

I considered that too, just moving Prust or Moen to the right wing but it isn't natural for them. I also don't think after such a great season they are going to keep Prust on the fourth line.

I just don't see Bergevin looking at the current roster and saying the pieces are set for 2013-2014.

Even if the forward group was kept entirely intact heading into October and Prust was forced to start on the 4th line, it probably wouldn't take long for him to move up when someone got hurt (heck, if Gionta can't go opening night, he'll already move back up). Having ten top-nine forwards shouldn't necessarily be thought of as a logjam given that one of them is going to be hurt more often than not, Prust would still see 3rd line ice time fairly regularly. That isn't a bad luxury to have at the end of the day.

In the last six years...

Missed Playoffs Once

I'm disappointed as a long time Hab fan. Proud ? Are you serious ? We used to make fun of the Bruins hanging Adams division title banners.We've made 1 conference final appearance in 20 yrs (and we got steamrolled). I guess the younger fans consider making the playoffs a success. i don't need a cup to be a success.but in my opinion,if you don't make the conference finals it's a disappointing season. We haven't been a legit contenderr,except for 2 or 3 seasons since '93.We won 2 regular season division and one regular season conference. Big deal.It's the epitome of mediocrity .That's the fact.I'd honestly like to see a poll about what constitutes a successful season,and then break that down by age groups.Once again i'm not saying it's Stanley Cup or nothing. i would just like to go into a season and/or playoff thinking we had a shot at one

As your bottom 6.

Sorry,Pleks isn't a 3rd line center on our team,and Eller certainly isn't ready for the 1st line. It's debatable if he's even a 2nd liner at this point of career

I thought Bourque played well last season and is one of our more physical players. I would prefer MB keep him. But if Habs sign Jagr, then he goes.

It probably makes more sense to dump either Gionta or Desharnais but those two would be hard to trade before the seasons starts.

If Jagr doesn't sign, then I could see Plekanec/Moen being packaged for a defenseman.

I'm not giving up on Bourque, just yet...Gionta's time is coming to an end in MTL...The guy has had 2 major injuries to his arms and that spells trouble...Gionta has 1 year left and will be gone after this season, IMO..

I really don't get why people don't like Bourque, especially when the team lacks size and physicality in the forward lines..

I don't think Bergevin is done tweaking because I believe he does have something cooking in a trade, but if this is the team we are going with, I will be extrememly disappointed..

Bourque is anywhere near as physical as he should be, and doesn't play anywhere near as big as he should be.

I say that as someone who catches when Moen uses his body despite people constantly comparing him to Prust and claiming he doesn't.

Bourque is really just Montreal getting extra years of Andrei Kostitsyn at the same price.

Even if the forward group was kept entirely intact heading into October and Prust was forced to start on the 4th line, it probably wouldn't take long for him to move up when someone got hurt (heck, if Gionta can't go opening night, he'll already move back up). Having ten top-nine forwards shouldn't necessarily be thought of as a logjam given that one of them is going to be hurt more often than not, Prust would still see 3rd line ice time fairly regularly. That isn't a bad luxury to have at the end of the day.

Agreed 100%, the luxury of Prust is his ability to play all three forward positions. When paired with Eller-Galchenyuk last year, he was at RW. He's played LW. He's played Centre. He can be on the fourth line or in the top 9. His versatility is a real asset.

Bourque is anywhere near as physical as he should be, and doesn't play anywhere near as big as he should be.

I say that as someone who catches when Moen uses his body despite people constantly comparing him to Prust and claiming he doesn't.

Bourque is really just Montreal getting extra years of Andrei Kostitsyn at the same price.

That's actually a great analogy.

Just rewatched all of Bourque's goals from last season. Most came from within 5 feet of the net, and most involved some kind of power move to the net.

He averages over a hit a game, has been suspended twice for illegal checks (and has actually worked towards not being a dirty hitter) and constantly goes to the dirty areas... how much bigger does he need to play?

I swear, sometimes I think Thor himself could play for Montreal and we'd nitpick his play. "That pussy? He had a chance to crush Chara's skull with Mjölner and didn't. A guy his size should literally be killing opposing players on the ice. How bout Thor, Desharnais and a 2nd for Hercules?"