Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

He is and might not re-sign. Word is that he wants a seven year deal. You get Callahan? You're getting him on a Clarkson contract.

Isnt he just a grinder and character guy and not the offensive upgrade Habs should be looking for, long term.

if wants big bucks, no thanks

He is and might not re-sign. Word is that he wants a seven year deal. You get Callahan? You're getting him on a Clarkson contract.

Ryan Callahan is a lot closer to being worth Clarkson money than Clarkson is. Then again, he's not exactly a huge difference maker. At least his value isn't inflated by winning a few fights.

Ryan is a 25g45 point man, not big 5'10' . A good player but we already got better guys that do the exact same thing. If he was a 35 goal scorer now we would be maybe talking. But if Sather who loves to spend money can't sign him, we do not want him.

These trade proposals are actually really thought out for both sides

Except for that horrible AHL defense it leaves us with.

No thanks on Callahan. He's too injury prone, and for all the chatter about his demands, he's still the captain of the New York Rangers, one of the best jobs in hockey. He'll bend and resign. The intangibles, imo, will get you another year or mil on a deal like Prust and Gorges, they aren't getting 7 years/6 million unless you also fight for some odd reason. He'd be great for a team of young players like Florida or Edmonton.

No thanks on Callahan. He's too injury prone, and for all the chatter about his demands, he's still the captain of the New York Rangers, one of the best jobs in hockey. He'll bend and resign. The intangibles, imo, will get you another year or mil on a deal like Prust and Gorges, they aren't getting 7 years/6 million unless you also fight for some odd reason. He'd be great for a team of young players like Florida or Edmonton.

I agree. If we're going to shell out for a big signing, I'd rather it be for a bigger difference maker than a 45 point player.

The great teams like Chicago and Boston have built through the draft, but they've also made very shrewd free agent singings.

Any GM who says they are 4 to 5 years away from being a contender should be fired. 5 year plans are a crock and clutch to use as an excuse for job security.

Unless you inherit this year's Buffalo Sabres, most GM's should be aiming to turn the team around in 2 to 3 years, or should be fired before even being hired. A team with the resources as the Montreal Canadian, Toronto Maple Leafs and NYRs should be able to put a contending team together, as long as they don't make political moves like signing Briere over Jagr or throwing stupid money on average players like Clarkson, or signing the pretty UFA's to stupid deals like Gomez, Drury, Redden, Gaborik.

In MB's defense, I think the 4-5 year comment was about us becoming a serious contender on an annual basis. There are significant differences between: 1. "turning the team around"--which I think MB has done; 2. Having a contending team--albeit a longshot--which we are in the middle being and 3. of being perenial powerhouse/ cup favorite--which is what everyone on the board impatiently wants.

You are right that the first two stages can be done relatively quickly....it is the last stage where the five year plan does come into play. It is the cumulative effect of good long-range planning in scouting, drafting and trading that allows teams to remain at the top for extended periods of time.

I know that it is frustrating to see other teams make moves and we don't--or when the move doesn't work--at least in the short-term. (See: Briere, D; Jagr, J.). However, I don't know of many GM's who lost their jobs or screwed the team by being too patient. An impatient gm can bring futlility (Burke, B.) or disaster (JFJ, Houle, R.).

In short, MB has been on the job for less than 2 seasons. There are many positive signs and a few causes for worry, but it is far too early to evaluate what his overall effect will be

• Upvote 1

In MB's defense, I think the 4-5 year comment was about us becoming a serious contender on an annual basis. There are significant differences between: 1. "turning the team around"--which I think MB has done; 2. Having a contending team--albeit a longshot--which we are in the middle being and 3. of being perenial powerhouse/ cup favorite--which is what everyone on the board impatiently wants.

You are right that the first two stages can be done relatively quickly....it is the last stage where the five year plan does come into play. It is the cumulative effect of good long-range planning in scouting, drafting and trading that allows teams to remain at the top for extended periods of time.

I know that it is frustrating to see other teams make moves and we don't--or when the move doesn't work--at least in the short-term. (See: Briere, D; Jagr, J.). However, I don't know of many GM's who lost their jobs or screwed the team by being too patient. An impatient gm can bring futlility (Burke, B.) or disaster (JFJ, Houle, R.).

In short, MB has been on the job for less than 2 seasons. There are many positive signs and a few causes for worry, but it is far too early to evaluate what his overall effect will be

Well done sir, cant agree more; Cept the Jagr reference, a Tyrell Owens-Randy Moss were awesome players, but like Jagr the Ego/selfishness is also part of package and Bergy as well as 28 other GMs not real keen on bringing that into a room. Cant simply look at stats without looking at what baggage also comes with a signing.

I have proposed Byfuglien as trade target, but many point to couple aspects as scary, in his weight problem and not real keen on working hard in the defensive zone.

Also I think Steve Ott would be a nice addition, but again many arnt fond of his "Marchand/Avery" like play.

So for most trades/signings, the intangibles and not just the production have to factor in to a GMs decision, I would think.

But, yes Bergevin must be given time and totally agree on value on patience comment. (and feel bad for Flames fans, with Egomaniac Burke in charge now, we all know that wont end well)

Andrei Markov (to help the kings 28th ranked pp)

Rene Borque

Our 2014 4th and 5th rounders

for

Dwight King (RFA summer 2014)

Jake Muzzin (RFA summer 2015)
LA s 2014 1st round pick

Help LA out on the powerplay, we get some some well needed size and physicality.

Thoughts?

Rene Borque

for

LA s 2014 1st round pick

Help LA out on the powerplay, we get some some well needed size and physicality.

Thoughts?

I don't hate this at all.

1. "turning the team around"--which I think MB has done;

I don't see how MB can take much credit for turning the team around. All the key players are from previous regimes. The best player signing he's made has been Brandon Prust, a glorified 4th liner. Acquiring Stéphane Waite was a good move, but all his other managerial choices are highly questionable.

He took over a team that wasn't as bad as its record, which then performed above its talent level for a shortened season. Now we're pretty much in the same bubble team position that we've been in for the past decade. I don't see how Bergevin deserves plaudits for this.

Rene Borque

for

LA s 2014 1st round pick

Thoughts?

I doubt LA gives up two roster players before the playoff run. It sounds like they want a forward like Moulson or Cammalleri, but I could see them going for Markov. They'd give up picks and prospects for him, though.

It's just too early to judge MB. All we can really say we know about him is that he does not seem to move impulsively and appears to take a longer-term, builder's view. Frankly, that's not much to go on at all.

It's just too early to judge MB. All we can really say we know about him is that he does not seem to move impulsively and appears to take a longer-term, builder's view. Frankly, that's not much to go on at all.

He seems way to passive. Last year when he moved Cole, I thought we should have been able to get someone better than a retread (the number of retreads is also a concern - MT Ryder, Bouillon), but at least he moved quickly when i looked like Cole didn't have the attitude post-lockout you want from a veteran player. Since than he seems to be more afraid of making a mistake than willing to take a chance.

The Prust signing was the only good UFA signing, but he is a 4th liner - hardly a bold move. Murray was okay, but there were other options out there at around the same salary (Hainsey). Going after Lecavalier and Briere were safe chases that would appease the french media, Briere was a mistake and I think even if he had signed Vinny that would have been a mistake as well. Why he didn't sign Jagr is beyond me - especially since it would have FINALLY given Pleks a real winger and a guy who he has a successful history with.

On the other hand you had another new GM in Nill (who I wanted in Montreal), come in and make some bold moves. We could never have made a deal with BOston, but I think had Nill taken the job, he would have shown the same boldness in Montreal, in bringing in a true game changer. the 5 year plan is what really infuriates me. How many russian 5 year plans do we have to endure??

Habs29, I hear you, brother. I too prefer a GM who isn't afraid to make bold and ruthless moves, and I think this team probably does need such moves. But the REAL time for them will be at this year's deadline and then again in the summer. So personally, I give him that window to start really putting his stamp on the club. If we go into next year with yet another patchwork lineup passively praying that Eller gets better and that washed-up geezers somehow defy the downward arc of their careers, then I'll definitely begin to say we have a body of work that shows a GM who is happy on cruise control. But declaring it now just seems too impatient to me.

I doubt LA gives up two roster players before the playoff run. It sounds like they want a forward like Moulson or Cammalleri, but I could see them going for Markov. They'd give up picks and prospects for him, though.

I know it is 2 roster player but they would be getting 2 roster players in return. Markov takes Muzzin s spot and Bourque takes Kings.

Markov is definitely an offensive upgrade on Muzzin and could really help out they re horrible PP which could really help them in the playoffs.

Bourque has shown better offence than King in the past and is a big body about the same size as King.

It might be asking a bit much from LA but id would offer the same trade minus King and Bourque and our 4th rounder.

Some other team desperate to do something for a little size and offence will definitely give us a pick or two for Bourque.

Rene Borque

for

LA s 2014 1st round pick

Thoughts?

LA doesn't have the cap space to do anything like this. With including King and Muzzin, they can barely afford Bourque let alone adding Markov.

LA doesn't have the cap space to do anything like this. With including King and Muzzin, they can barely afford Bourque let alone adding Markov.

Dustin Brown to Habs? Kings cant score and could likely use a Markov

Brown is gritty and averages 48pts/season, but Brown is very high salary and signed till 2021-22 (so never mind, dumb idea).

Dustin Brown to Habs? Kings cant score and could likely use a Markov

Brown is gritty and averages 48pts/season, but Brown is fairly high salary.

He's also their captain. I don't think the Kings are moving him for a rental in Markov and I'm not sure the Habs want to take on a player signed through 2021-22 at just under $6 mil per. The Habs would also need to retain salary as the difference in salary is greater than LA's cap space. The Kings aren't a good trading partner given their cap constraints unless the trade is for a depth guy.

He's also their captain. I don't think the Kings are moving him for a rental in Markov and I'm not sure the Habs want to take on a player signed through 2021-22 at just under $6 mil per. The Habs would also need to retain salary as the difference in salary is greater than LA's cap space. The Kings aren't a good trading partner given their cap constraints unless the trade is for a depth guy.

Ya, I scrooled down on saw total deal is hasn't even started (too much too long deal), but I also didnt mean simple swap of markov-He.

But Kings supposed could use a d-man and lost 5 of 6 (I think it is) so are floundering also.

But Kings supposed could use a d-man and lost 5 of 6 (I think it is) so are floundering also.

They always seem to flounder now during the season but will be fine when the playoffs start. If they want to add a d-man with some offensive ability, Diaz makes a lot more sense for them right now in terms of being able to squeeze him under the cap.

IMHO MB has not turned this team around. This is the same team for probably the last 5 years. We still need scoring. We still have the smurfs. The biggest moves that this team has made was BigBob dumping everybody and getting Gomez Cammy and some other guy while giving up one of the best defence prospects we have had in a while. The faces change but the results are the same. It is why I call the Habs stodgy. They are afraid to make any really bold moves. The owner insisted that they sign Briere for advertising purposes. Boy did that work out great. Hey Geoff hows that beer selling with Briere's name on it. Oh not so good? If he still had that forking torch he could maybe light his a$$ on fire. MB has got to make a statement with some deals, or he is just another in the long line of Houle wanna be's. This is the end of my rant for today. GO F'ING HABS GO.

People love to bring up the donation of mcdonagh to the rangers as one of the biggest mistakes this organization has made in the last decade and to be fair it was, but.. if we had not traded him there is a significant chance our 2011-12 season would not have been as bad as it was and we never would have had the opportunity to take Galchenyuk at #3. So hypothetically if it were possible, would anyone trade Galchenyuk for McDonagh and 2012 1st round pick between 12-24? Bear in mind the reliability of the draft outside the top 5 or top 10.