Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

Habs should be looking for younger core pieces that may be a bit of a gamble, kinda like paying for potential, on shorter term deals.

What teams are about to get into a mess cap wise ?

Which of them have good young expendable RW or players in general ?

Guest Stogey24

Buy low on Yakupov. Take the risk that him and his buddy Chucky can find their chemistry again. A forward who can actually one time the puck is a missing piece on MTL's powerplay too.

I think the time to buy low on yakapov has passed. He was playing well before he got injured.

Buy low on Yakupov. Take the risk that him and his buddy Chucky can find their chemistry again. A forward who can actually one time the puck is a missing piece on MTL's powerplay too.

Guest Stogey24

I think the time to buy low on yakapov has passed. He was playing well before he got injured.

He was playing well beside mcdavid for sure. Now he's playing third line and off the power play.

There was also a Rumour that Yakupov may have been involved in a bigger trade than just Scrivens.

Problem with the Oilers is that they're looking for a young top four defenseman in the 23 to 26 years old. I personally don't think that RNH, Yakupov, or Eberle are players they want to trade. I think that they are players that they are willing to give up in exchange for what they want (young top 4 dman). Canadiens can't afford to give up a good young dman with Markov on the decline and likely finished after next season.

Can they afford to go another year with zero all-star forwards? Wouldn't impact be better if trade Beaulieu (who is #4-5 d-man) & a pick and add an Eberle to top six? And still have Price, Subban, Markov, Petry, Pateryn, UFA and X (experienced low budget d, maybe resign Gilbert) to defend

I agree with you Commandant that they would need to go hard after a top defenseman in the UFA market. I also agree that if the Habs can get a lights out deal for Beaulieu (or any other player) that they should go for it.

The problem I have with trading Beaulieu (other than Markov being gone after next season), is that the Habs have a young blueliner that can play on the second pair and has $1 mil cap hit this season and next (in Beaulieu). After that he's an RFA, which gives the Habs plenty of leverage to sign him to another cap friendly deal. Yandle is believed to be looking for between 5 and 6 mil long term on his next contract. I'm sure Hamhuis and even Goligoski (who is also a LHD and UFA) will be looking for close to the same. Will Beaulieu ever be a top pairing guy? Probably not. I see him more as a useful 2nd pairing guy that can be used on the PP. If the Habs sign him to an extension on July 1st they could probably get him for around 4 mil a season or less depending on term. The shorter the term, the less they would have to pay (or that seems to be the trend when it comes to young players/RFAs anyway). I'm hoping the Habs lock him and Galchenyuk up to extensions before next season. That is assuming that management believes those players will hit their ceilings and that those players are part of the future. Hopefully they don't repeat the mistake they made with Subban and wait until these guys break out and have to pay out the a** to keep them.

Debatable it was a mistake in Subban's contracts and if it is, it is splitting hairs.

Beaulieu is a young d-man who can skate and has puck skills, but to get a top notch forward in a trade it will likely be painful and cost some promising asset.

That's the dilemma. The only really alluring asset we have to offer in exchange for a good young FW is Beaulieu. But as I've said for years, Beaulieu has a very important structural role within our organization: he is effectively Markov's successor. I doubt he'll ever be as good as Markov, but that's another story.

So barring some other sort of move to upgrade at FW, the real question is: is it easier to find a top-4 LD or a top-6 W on the UFA market? If it's easier to get a FW, then keep Beaulieu. Otherwise, the only way out of the trap may be to trade him.

That's the dilemma. The only really alluring asset we have to offer in exchange for a good young FW is Beaulieu. But as I've said for years, Beaulieu has a very important structural role within our organization: he is effectively Markov's successor. I doubt he'll ever be as good as Markov, but that's another story.

So barring some other sort of move to upgrade at FW, the real question is: is it easier to find a top-4 LD or a top-6 W on the UFA market? If it's easier to get a FW, then keep Beaulieu. Otherwise, the only way out of the trap may be to trade him.

This summer, there are FAR, FAR more top 6 fwds on the market than LHD

Last summer was the opposite.

This summer, there are FAR, FAR more top 6 fwds on the market than LHD

Last summer was the opposite.

So, it sounds like we should shop Beaulieu around, then go all-in on whichever LHD fills the void. I don't like Hamhuis myself; he's played well since coming back from injury, be he was absolutely atrocious earlier in the year. IMHO he may be past his best-before date, no longer the reliable game-in game-out performer he was in his prime. Maybe Yandle's a better bet.

So, it sounds like we should shop Beaulieu around, then go all-in on whichever LHD fills the void. I don't like Hamhuis myself; he's played well since coming back from injury, be he was absolutely atrocious earlier in the year. IMHO he may be past his best-before date, no longer the reliable game-in game-out performer he was in his prime. Maybe Yandle's a better bet.

I'd say the opposite... keep Beaulieu and try to sign a top 6 out of the relatively large number that is available July 1st. At least this year.

CC I think you read that wrong my friend. We should keep Beaulieu because LHD are hard to find this year and go after a goal scorer.

CC I think you read that wrong my friend. We should keep Beaulieu because LHD are hard to find this year and go after a goal scorer.

Yeah, stupid misread on my part - sorry about that. (This is what happens when you post on 3 hours' sleep). Keep Nate the Grate, sign a UFA FW, got it.

Just woke up and I'm only on 4 hrs of sleep but my groggy mind was thinking.

How ridiculous would it be to trade the Captain for Stamkos AND Drouin??

I don't know how the contract extensions would have to be structured in order for all this to work under the cap but it would definitely be a move that would shake the core to its foundation.

Then again; maybe I should just go back to bed.