Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

Swapping ugly contracts, take on extra term, toss away a pick...why would we do that? I don't think Bergevin will be jumping at that...hopefully not anyways.

Swapping ugly contracts, take on extra term, toss away a pick...why would we do that? I don't think Bergevin will be jumping at that...hopefully not anyways.

As I say if it means moving DD or Eller, I could see it. But no 2nd rounder, straight up maybe.

As I say if it means moving DD or Eller, I could see it. But no 2nd rounder, straight up maybe.

Why? Both Desharnais and Eller are better, cheaper, much younger and with shorter term. Not even close to fair for Habs to drag his slow old ass around for next 3 or 4 years.

Would rather see Desharnais simply bought out and trade Emelin.

Why? Both Desharnais and Eller are better, cheaper, much younger and with shorter term. Not even close to fair for Habs to drag his slow old ass around for next 3 or 4 years.

Would rather see Desharnais simply bought out and trade Emelin.

2013-14

Philadelphia Flyers NHL 78 20 32 52 103 11 7 0 3 3 6

2014-15

Columbus Blue Jackets NHL 77 28 32 60 100 1 -- -- -- -- --

2015-16

Columbus Blue Jackets NHL 79 23 26 49 112 -11

His last 3 years, I think he has a little life in him.

Eller:2013-14

Montreal Canadiens NHL 77 12 14 26 68 -15 17 5 8 13 18

2014-15

Montreal Canadiens NHL 77 15 12 27 42 -6 12 1 2 3 4

2015-16

Montreal Canadiens NHL 79 13 13 26 28 -13

DDD

2013-14

Montreal Canadiens NHL 79 16 36 52 24 11 17 2 6 8 6

2014-15

Montreal Canadiens NHL 82 14 34 48 11 1 2 3 4

2015-16

Montreal Canadiens NHL 65 11 18 29 20 -6

Seems like he has more life in him than those 2.

He is also 6 ft 2 in and 215 pounds.

According to TSN 1040 radio here in Van, Monster Macguire is peddling the idea that the Canuckleheads can trade washed-up broken-down Alex Burrows and his $4.5 million contract to the Habs. Wow, he clearly thinks Bergevin is an imbecile.

According to TSN 1040 radio here in Van, Monster Macguire is peddling the idea that the Canuckleheads can trade washed-up broken-down Alex Burrows and his $4.5 million contract to the Habs. Wow, he clearly thinks Bergevin is an imbecile.

More likely he gets bought out and invited to camp.

I hope he gets asked about this when he is on TSN 690 later.

Depends... would we take on Burrows for 1 year at 4.5 million to get rid of Emelin for 2 years at 4.1 million? Basically take on more cap hit now for more cap space next season (when Galchenyuk will be needing a big raise). A Gonchar for Moen type deal.

It's not impossible is all I'm saying.

Depends... would we take on Burrows for 1 year at 4.5 million to get rid of Emelin for 2 years at 4.1 million? Basically take on more cap hit now for more cap space next season (when Galchenyuk will be needing a big raise). A Gonchar for Moen type deal.

It's not impossible is all I'm saying.

I think I would keep Emelin instead.

Why would Columbus ever do that

Why don't you make a proposal so we can ask why a team would do that?

Columbus rids themselves of Hartnall's contract, they get younger with Eller (who their GM apparently likes), a good prospect in Scherbak and still picks in the top 10. Perhaps the deal would have to be sweetened, I don't know, it's a proposal thread, nobody is signing on the dotted line here in the GM's office.

That deal alone could potentially fix our top 6 if Puljarjarvi can make the team and have an impact

Guest Stogey24

Hey, you put the trade suggestion out there.

27 isn't young in the NHL. Eller is a 3rd liner, who's lucky to crack 25pts, while making 3.5 mill. Columbus saves themselves what like 1.25 mill, while subtracting point totals... Don't really see how that makes the trade worth while.

Sherbak just had a terrible rookie season as a pro, and has very little value in a trade.

Obviously that trade makes us better. We're moving basically nothing for a top 3 pick.

Hey, you put the trade suggestion out there.

27 isn't young in the NHL. Eller is a 3rd liner, who's lucky to crack 25pts, while making 3.5 mill. Columbus saves themselves what like 1.25 mill, while subtracting point totals... Don't really see how that makes the trade worth while.

Sherbak just had a terrible rookie season as a pro, and has very little value in a trade.

Obviously that trade makes us better. We're moving basically nothing for a top 3 pick.

27 years old is younger than 34 years old whether in the NHL or not. Two more years of Eller at 3.5 vs three more years of Hartnell at 4.75 is much more appealing for a budget team. Eller is a third liner on the Habs but can easily step into a second line center role on a team that desperately needs centers. More opportunity for Eller equals more points.

I wouldn't say Scherbak has very little value, he is a first round pick and is only 20 years old. I didn't see or read a whole lot about him so I'm not an expert on him by any means, but a little early to call him a bust.

The number 9 pick still gives them a chance at a high end player in that spot. Like I said, there are pieces that are likely interesting for both sides, just a matter of making something work.

Since my earlier Hartnall proposal got shredded, how about:

Hartnall and #3 for #9, Eller and Scherbak

Part of what Columbus wants to do with moving Hartnell is shed some payroll. All else being equal, I think they'd rather a $1M fourth liner over a $3.5M third liner, even if Eller's a lot better than the $1M fourth line guy.

Scherbak was one of the youngest players in the AHL last year. Of course he was going to struggle to some degree (he struggled a bit more than I thought but I wouldn't call his year terrible). His season shouldn't really tank his trade value, especially since he still has three year left on his ELC. He's still one of Montreal's top prospects and is one of their top trade chips if they want to move future help for present help.

Eller is NOT a second liner and never will be. He is a 30-point guy with the offensive sense of a stanchion, except for those little tears when he gets hot.

I find it absolutely amazing that even though he's 27 and has had many NHL seasons in which to prove himself, some Habs fans still cling to the fantasy of L'il Baby Lars blooming with untapped potential.

Guest Stogey24

Part of what Columbus wants to do with moving Hartnell is shed some payroll. All else being equal, I think they'd rather a $1M fourth liner over a $3.5M third liner, even if Eller's a lot better than the $1M fourth line guy.

Scherbak was one of the youngest players in the AHL last year. Of course he was going to struggle to some degree (he struggled a bit more than I thought but I wouldn't call his year terrible). His season shouldn't really tank his trade value, especially since he still has three year left on his ELC. He's still one of Montreal's top prospects and is one of their top trade chips if they want to move future help for present help.

I'm just saying Sherbak's value isn't in a trade.

Eller is NOT a second liner and never will be. He is a 30-point guy with the offensive sense of a stanchion, except for those little tears when he gets hot.

I find it absolutely amazing that even though he's 27 and has had many NHL seasons in which to prove himself, some Habs fans still cling to the fantasy of L'il Baby Lars blooming with untapped potential.

Is Eller a second liner on a contender? Not likely but he'll do in a pinch. Is he a second liner on the center-starved Columbus Blue Jackets for the next two seasons? Why not? 30 points a season playing on the third line with interchangeable random scrubs the last few seasons doesn't exactly equate to putting up numbers. Nobody is saying he is all the sudden going to rip up the league, but he is a solid hockey player who is capable of being more productive if he had better line mates and a more offensive role, in my opinion. Plekanec had a slow start to his career as well, and has had some sub standard seasons sprinkled in along the way. He doesn't really generate much offense by himself either and plays his best with better players. We've had this discussion plenty of times before and I suppose we'll never find an answer until the situation changes.

Is Eller a second liner on a contender? Not likely but he'll do in a pinch. Is he a second liner on the center-starved Columbus Blue Jackets for the next two seasons? Why not? 30 points a season playing on the third line with interchangeable random scrubs the last few seasons doesn't exactly equate to putting up numbers. Nobody is saying he is all the sudden going to rip up the league, but he is a solid hockey player who is capable of being more productive if he had better line mates and a more offensive role, in my opinion. Plekanec had a slow start to his career as well, and has had some sub standard seasons sprinkled in along the way. He doesn't really generate much offense by himself either and plays his best with better players. We've had this discussion plenty of times before and I suppose we'll never find an answer until the situation changes.

Yeah, no point in re-hashing the argument; but if I'm Columbus and I want a 2nd line C, I would have no reason to settle for Lars Eller rather than someone who actually has top-6 talent. 'Oh, if he had good linemates he'd get more points.' That's true of anyone; but it doesn't prove he has the offensive tools of a top-6 player. Lars Eller is a perfectly decent 3rd line C whose natural role is that of a checking, shut-down C. Unless the Jackets are stupid, they'll know that.

Is Eller a second liner on a contender? Not likely but he'll do in a pinch. Is he a second liner on the center-starved Columbus Blue Jackets for the next two seasons? Why not? 30 points a season playing on the third line with interchangeable random scrubs the last few seasons doesn't exactly equate to putting up numbers. Nobody is saying he is all the sudden going to rip up the league, but he is a solid hockey player who is capable of being more productive if he had better line mates and a more offensive role, in my opinion.

Columbus has Dubinsky, Wennberg, and Jenner (who had more goals than Eller had points last year) down the middle. They're not exactly centre-starved. I have a hard time saying Eller would crack their top six regardless of position.

Yeah, no point in re-hashing the argument; but if I'm Columbus and I want a 2nd line C, I would have no reason to settle for Lars Eller rather than someone who actually has top-6 talent. 'Oh, if he had good linemates he'd get more points.' That's true of anyone; but it doesn't prove he has the offensive tools of a top-6 player. Lars Eller is a perfectly decent 3rd line C whose natural role is that of a checking, shut-down C. Unless the Jackets are stupid, they'll know that.

I think he has the offensive tools but the problem may in fact be that he doesn't have the tool box. I see the talent and skill there but he hasn't put it all together consistently. As a player, sometimes it's hard to be in sync with lesser skilled players, resulting in sub par output. Or as you've stated, perhaps he isn't top 6 material at all. I am still optimistic that this isn't the best he can do. Regardless, I am fine with him playing his current role on the team and I am also fine trading him. He isn't the albatross that some seem to think he is

Columbus has Dubinsky, Wennberg, and Jenner (who had more goals than Eller had points last year) down the middle. They're not exactly centre-starved. I have a hard time saying Eller would crack their top six regardless of

position.

Yeah, maybe reporters know that Columbus is unhappy with their choices at centre in the top six after trading Johansen but I get the feeling it's more that they saw Johansen go and came to the conclusion that Columbus didn't have anyone to fill. Jenner looked great at centre around the end of the season with Columbus and will likely slot there with Saad on his wing next year. He's the Johansen replacement.

I think he has the offensive tools but the problem may in fact be that he doesn't have the tool box. I see the talent and skill there but he hasn't put it all together consistently. As a player, sometimes it's hard to be in sync with lesser skilled players, resulting in sub par output. Or as you've stated, perhaps he isn't top 6 material at all. I am still optimistic that this isn't the best he can do. Regardless, I am fine with him playing his current role on the team and I am also fine trading him. He isn't the albatross that some seem to think he is

I'll agree that Eller isn't really an 'albatross.' He's a solid 3rd line C. He's overpaid, but it's not like the Emelin contract (where the pay-grade is completely out of whack for what the player brings). Based solely on last season's performance I'd have to conclude that DD is a much bigger waste of cap space.

I'll agree that Eller isn't really an 'albatross.' He's a solid 3rd line C. He's overpaid, but it's not like the Emelin contract (where the pay-grade is completely out of whack for what the player brings). Based solely on last season's performance I'd have to conclude that DD is a much bigger waste of cap space.

The thing there is that DD is just one more year. Eller is two. So it's not just two $3.5M contracts. It's $7M vs. $3.5M.