Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

Subban is not going anywhere, this is all made up blown up stuff by the media. These guys need fans to go to their websites, read their articles, follow them on twitter, etc to keep their jobs. What better way to do that then put up rumors about one of the games biggest personalities in one of the biggest markets. It might be a poor example but ever notice how Eklund constantly mentions Montreal, he's just trying to draw parts of the large fan base to his site.

Let's be honest and look at MB's track record with Montreal. Do you really think he's making a big time risky play trading Subban? He's done nothing but low risk moves. This is like someone going from dipping their toe in the kiddie pool to diving into shark infested waters with no in between.

dlbalr, thanks for the Lang reference. That turns out to have been a pretty good trade for the Habs: Lang was invaluable until he got destroyed (bad luck there) and Pateryn is a useful piece. Although to this day I think it was dodgy to trade a legit #2 C from a team with a dearth of talent at C.

On Subban, boy, Bob Mackenzie is quite explicit: the Habs are entertaining offers on Subban, and they are getting serious offers. This is quite different from saying that Bergy is actively 'looking' to trade Subban. But the chance to draft Pierre-Luc Dubois is apparently extremely important to the organization (which sounds unnervingly like a directive from ownership to me); so presumably any deal involves a top-5 pick as well (obviously) as other pieces.

Living in Van, I'm trying to work out what kind of offer the Canuckleheads could make that could possibly cause Bergevin to move. The 5th pick + Ben Hutton or Alex Edler + Jake Vrtanen?

Hee hee, gonna be a fun couple of days!

Darren Drager said that from talking to all hockey people he has lately, he said Bergevin has been busy/very active, but that he is more "looking to add not subtract", so I assume that means trading up isn't plan 'A'.

(which is :thumbs_up: by me) ​

Darren Drager said that from talking to all hockey people he has lately, he said Bergevin has been busy/very active, but that he is more "looking to add not subtract", so I assume that means trading up isn't plan 'A'.

(which is :thumbs_up: by me) ​

Yeah. I think the rumours around the Habs are more than just click-bait - Bergevin has been in the forefront of the rumour mill, not just in Montreal, but all over the NHL, and this hasn't been the case in past seasons. Clearly, he is being very aggressive this year in trying to get something significant done. That includes taking offers on Subban, but in no way implies that the eventual deal(s) will include Subban.

Only team that could maybe (not saying I like it) pull it off is Calgary. They have fifth overall, three excellent defencemen, and some offensive weapons. I could see their fifth and Dougie Hamilton at the centre of a deal and Bergevin considering if the flames add Poirier and take Emelin off our hands. That could be enough to convince it's an overpayment and we can still compete.

Not that Hamilton can fill Subban's skates or anything.

dlbalr, thanks for the Lang reference. That turns out to have been a pretty good trade for the Habs: Lang was invaluable until he got destroyed (bad luck there) and Pateryn is a useful piece. Although to this day I think it was dodgy to trade a legit #2 C from a team with a dearth of talent at C.

On Subban, boy, Bob Mackenzie is quite explicit: the Habs are entertaining offers on Subban, and they are getting serious offers. This is quite different from saying that Bergy is actively 'looking' to trade Subban. But the chance to draft Pierre-Luc Dubois is apparently extremely important to the organization (which sounds unnervingly like a directive from ownership to me); so presumably any deal involves a top-5 pick as well (obviously) as other pieces.

Living in Van, I'm trying to work out what kind of offer the Canuckleheads could make that could possibly cause Bergevin to move. The 5th pick + Ben Hutton or Alex Edler + Jake Vrtanen?

Hee hee, gonna be a fun couple of days!

Back in 2008, did we really know Grabovski was going to be a legitimate #2 C? He was 24 and coming off 9 points with 24 games with the Habs that season (one that he famously left the team to ponder his future at one point). We knew there was potential upside but he was far from being established.

I wouldn't worry too much about the Subban talk. From the sounds of it, unless Bergevin were to get an offer too good to refuse, he's not going anywhere. And if he gets an offer that's too good to refuse, then at least in theory it should be a very good trade as he won't be dealt for spare parts.

I don't see a great fit from Vancouver. Edler's too old to really be a long-term piece (3 years left under contract) and I don't view Tanev as a top pairing guy (or Hutton for that matter). On top of things, Vancouver's intending to spend in free agency so somewhere in there the Habs would be stuck taking Burrows and/or Higgins back; I don't see the opportunity to free up any sort of substantial money which would be one of the potential benefits in dealing Subban away.

Georges Laraque @GeorgesLaraque

Someone around the Oilers organization just confirmed to me that the Canadiens asked for Draisaitl and the 4 pick for Subban!

Maybe it's just me but I've never entirely been sold on Draisaitl as a top line centre. I think he's a very good #2 down the road but not a #1. If (and considering the source, that's a big if) that is the asking price, clearly there would have to be a second move in place to add a blueline replacement (absorbing whoever that would be into Subban's vacated $9M).

Maybe it's just me but I've never entirely been sold on Draisaitl as a top line centre. I think he's a very good #2 down the road but not a #1. If (and considering the source, that's a big if) that is the asking price, clearly there would have to be a second move in place to add a blueline replacement (absorbing whoever that would be into Subban's vacated $9M).

That's the trouble with this rumour...it destroys our blueline

MB makes a play for Shattenkirk?

And if he misses, the team is absolutely screwed for years. That's a terribly heavy gamble. Also depends on Shattenkirk gelling with the club.

Exactly. Can't do this deal unless MB is sure that he gets Shattenkirk and extends him. Way too many moving parts IMO.

Draisaitl and the 4th would be where I'd start. There would have to be something else in line for defence, because ours would not be playoff caliber without PK. Also, if we trade him because of Therrien, that's about the most embarrassing thing imaginable. That could send me to being a fan of another team. That would be the ultimate as bush league.

Edit: Shattenkirk would be reasonable enough to make this interesting. MB would have to know he could make the deal with Shattenkirk signed before pulling the trigger on dealing PK.

My son just said McDavid. I'd be good with that. Lol

Second edit: maybe ignore Shattenkirk as I hear Klefbom could come over if we toss in the 9th. Fascinating.

Winnipeg Rumor...

Trouba, Dano, and the 2nd pick for Subban and the 9th..

Interesting... Lots of chatter regarding PK.. Is it clickbait or something to it?

Winnipeg Rumor...

Interesting... Lots of chatter regarding PK.. Is it clickbait or something to it?

It's not click-bait. Too many credible sources have confirmed that Bergevin is taking offers on Subban and getting good, serious offers back.

My wild guess is it's 60-40 he's a Hab by July 1.

Winnipeg Rumor...

Now that's an interesting proposal...

I absolutely hate the rumored Edmonton deal.

I prefer Subban to stay a Hab for entertainment alone, and the return better be monstrous if it is going good to happen

Now that's an interesting proposal...

I absolutely hate the rumored Edmonton deal.

I prefer Subban to stay a Hab for entertainment alone, and the return better be monstrous if it is going good to happen

The Edm offer thing is questionable in almost every way you look at it.

Hall is their best "available" player, but a party animal that wouldn't work in Mtl.

Eberle is not a player that stands out, or carries a team.

Draisaitl probably is not a #1 C.

Nurse is not comparable to Subban, and not a great replacement D man.

RNH is not my choice as "the player I'd like to acquire to fix these Habs"

Yak's value is low, not in this discussion.

The 4th pick, that's not bad but not top 3, where the best players are.

I'd keep Subban.

It's not click-bait. Too many credible sources have confirmed that Bergevin is taking offers on Subban and getting good, serious offers back.

My wild guess is it's 60-40 he's a Hab by July 1.

My wild guess, MB likes his balls too much to trade PK.

Winnipeg Rumor...

But Habs should also be able to keep 9. Having two top ten picks would be OK.