Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

3 hours ago, habs rule said:

We need a big scoring center, MB knows that, and I am confident he is working towards that. When our injuries come back or defence is not that bad but another solid guy like petry would be a huge advantage. I think we 2 players away from a cup run, so GO MARC GO, gitter done NOW.

"would like to add" not "need"

Habs are doing fine as they are, arnt they?

4 minutes ago, habs rule said:

They are doing fine when we have a parade on ST Catherines st.

Although it could be glib and a throwback to the dynasties of yesteryear, this urgency is legitimate.  We won't be hanging around 1st place in five years with all the young talent that's been drafted into the league coming into its prime at that point.  This roster - outside of whatever miracles we can get out of Carey - is built for the next five years at most.  We need a top line Center in his 20's for that stretch if we're serious about the Cup - Duchene fits the bill.  If it takes Sergachev that's the price you have to pay.  We've been lucky in Montreal that we've been able to retool on the fly without bottoming out completely, but that can't last forever.  The time to win is now in the life-death cycle of this franchise.  

I think getting Duschene would be incredible and although Sergachev projects to be amazing, Duschene is a certified 1st line NHL guy. 

The Habs have to win the cup soon, might as well take the shot if thats they only way to improve the top 6. 

1 hour ago, JMMR said:

I think getting Duschene would be incredible and although Sergachev projects to be amazing, Duschene is a certified 1st line NHL guy. 

The Habs have to win the cup soon, might as well take the shot if thats they only way to improve the top 6. 

Well lets just say Duchene is a top six centre, not a great #1 but very good #2 at worst. At present he is 47th in NHL centre scoring and that is about what he is.

But agree Galchenyuk-Duchene as top two centres would be an upgrade.

Imo, Sergachev isn't going anywhere. Not for anyone. Trading Tavares would be suicide for a refurbished Brooklyn franchise.

Duchene for Plek Juulsen and a 1st would be my limit. Maybe with a second tier youngster like Ghetto or Carr to tip the scale.

I'm still hoping for Hanzal and Duclair.

20 hours ago, DON said:

An unproven junior d-man for Duchene, I will take that deal in a heartbeat!

We traded an unproven college dman for a guy we thought was a perennial 60 point centre with a big contract a few years ago, how'd that work out?

2 hours ago, JMMR said:

Is he a certified number one, or is he the 60 point guy he's been for several years (a lower tier #1, a top tier #2)?  To me he doesn't move the needle enough to make it worth a prospect of Sergachev's level. 

48 minutes ago, nihilz said:

Imo, Sergachev isn't going anywhere. Not for anyone. Trading Tavares would be suicide for a refurbished Brooklyn franchise.

Duchene for Plek Juulsen and a 1st would be my limit. Maybe with a second tier youngster like Ghetto or Carr to tip the scale.

I'm still hoping for Hanzal and Duclair.

i'm not sure Colorado would go for that trade!

17 hours ago, Commandant said:

We traded an unproven college dman for a guy we thought was a perennial 60 point centre with a big contract a few years ago, how'd that work out?

My thoughts exactly. If you've got a kid who projects to be a stud defenceman, for pity's sake don't trade him except for a truly elite FW.

18 hours ago, Commandant said:

SO, of course never ever do that again. Gomez = every 25 yr old centre to ever be traded and McDonagh = every high pick d-man, sorry forgot that bit.:bonk:

7 minutes ago, DON said:

SO, of course never ever do that again. Gomez = every 25 yr old centre to ever be traded and McDonagh = every high pick d-man, sorry forgot that bit.:bonk:

IF Duschene is a 60-point player, then don't make the trade. A stud defenceman has more value than a quite-good C.

1 minute ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

IF Duschene is a 60-point player, then don't make the trade. A stud defenceman has more value than a quite-good C.

Potential stud d-man, are lots of those who don't pan out and getting an upgrade at centre will be costly and painful one way or the other. So pick your poison and Habs do not have a lot else to offer a rebuilding team to pry away a quality centre, do they?

Duchene is 62point/82game player, has had one 70point season, 30 goal season last year and is on 30goal pace again and is just turning 26 soon.

16 minutes ago, DON said:

The point is that you don't trade elite prospects, for a forward who is less than elite. 

Right now we are looking at a ~60 point guy.  This being his third straight season with those kind of numbers. 

At 26 he is what he is.  He looks like he'll continue to be a 60 point guy... I wouldn't expect a big increase or decrease for several years. 

14 minutes ago, DON said:

Potential stud d-man, are lots of those who don't pan out and getting an upgrade at centre will be costly and painful one way or the other. So pick your poison and Habs do not have a lot else to offer a rebuilding team to pry away a quality centre, do they?

Duchene is 62point/82game player, has had one 70point season, 30 goal season last year and is on 30goal pace again and is just turning 26 soon.

It depends how much faith you have in Sergachev. I wouldn't trade a #1 defenceman for a non-elite C. Remember, this team got 4 years older at the #1 d-man slot - we will need a replacement in the medium term.

Looking at Duchene's numbers, he had two killer seasons, but on the whole he's nothing all that great. A legit top-6 player, not a franchise centrepiece.

I just spent a few minutes looking at Duchene's career stats. He's had three really good seasons, but besides that, I'm not impressed with his stats. I wouldn't give up Sergachev for Duchene. 

1 hour ago, Habsfan said:

I just spent a few minutes looking at Duchene's career stats. He's had three really good seasons, but besides that, I'm not impressed with his stats. I wouldn't give up Sergachev for Duchene. 

Which is typical for HabFans, we can trade ton of mediocre stuff for a quality player, but to actually give up something of value to get value back...NO WAY!

Which makes little sense but go back over the 215 pages and 99.9% of proposed deals involve players many fans simply don't like and seem to think if you can package up a bunch of those, some GM will part with an Eberle, Hopkins, Duchene or the like for a pile of crap.

I proposed Gallagher in some deal and every one seems to quickly chime in, "Not a chance I would part with him, he is the heart and soul of team!"

But. toss out Desharnais, Emelin, Plekanec for player X and 100% are all on board with that proposal.

Before the draft "we should trade 9th pick for a top 4 d-man" but people read all the hype over Sergachev, so now he is a core player and see him as 2nd coming of Lidstrom or Zubov, when in fact he is just as likely to be a #3 or 4 d-man like a Petry (who cost a 2nd round pick).

3 hours ago, DON said:

Before the draft "we should trade 9th pick for a top 4 d-man" but people read all the hype over Sergachev, so now he is a core player and see him as 2nd coming of Lidstrom or Zubov, when in fact he is just as likely to be a #3 or 4 d-man like a Petry (who cost a 2nd round pick).

This is the crux of the matter.  We got incredibly unlucky with McDonagh, who I still maintain should never have been included for Gomez's albatross of a contract that few teams would touch.  Sergachev has been hugely hyped, but he may still be finding his stride in 4 years, which is fine for a D-man but doesn't jive with our Cup window.  He's certainly not a sure thing. 

A young, 60 point C is the best you can get for an unproven prospect, who is no McDavid or Matthews, by the way.  No one is giving up a ppg guy for a package with Sergachev as the centrepiece.  A 60 point player like Radulov or Pacioretty makes a huge difference on the ice.  Kessel is coming off two 60 point seasons and he probably deserved the Conn Smythe.  

3 hours ago, DON said:

This is the crux of the matter.  We got incredibly unlucky with McDonagh, who I still maintain should never have been included for Gomez's albatross of a contract that few teams would touch.  Sergachev has been hugely hyped, but he may still be finding his stride in 4 years, which is fine for a D-man but doesn't jive with our Cup window.  He's certainly not a sure thing. 

A young, 60 point C is the best you can get for an unproven prospect, who is no McDavid or Matthews, by the way.  No one is giving up a ppg guy for a package with Sergachev as the centrepiece.  A 60 point player like Radulov or Pacioretty makes a huge difference on the ice.  Kessel is coming off two 60 point seasons and he probably deserved the Conn Smythe.  

Even if Sergachev becomes as good as McDonagh, don't we have to cash in our chips and go all in at some point?  Isn't that time about now with our roster makeup?

7 minutes ago, Neech said:

Given what Provorov and Werenski are doing this year... I wouldn't assume that Sergachev is four years away. 

6 minutes ago, Neech said:

Even if Sergachev becomes as good as McDonagh, don't we have to cash in our chips and go all in at some point?  Isn't that time about now with our roster makeup?

He projects to be better than McDonagh. 

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

He projects to be better than McDonagh. 

And Duchene projects to be better than Gomez...

but this is besides the point because even if the Sergachev/Duchene deal did happen it is not the same as the McDonagh/Gomez.

1) Duchene's contract is no Albatross,

2) He has been consistently good for years on a team that has been Mediocre at best, (30 goal, 60 point seasons are very good in this league)

Also

3) He fills a need that the Habs have had for years. (Scoring)

4) Quality Defencemen can be found every year at the trade Deadline or off season.  While scoring centers are much harder to acquire. 

I think if there is a deal to be made Bergy should do it.  

Think about it this way, if Sakic called Bergy and offered a highly touted D prospect for Galchenyuk would he take it, probably not, but put the shoe on the other foot and we don't even want to give up the prospect.  You have to give something to get a player like Duchene, and it will probably be more than just Sergachev.

The point is that he's not elite.  

And Galchenyuk is a 60 point player at 22 not 26.... its not the same. 

if you want to trade Sergachev for MacKinnon I'm all ears, but Galchenyuk is improving, MacKinnon is improving... at 26 Duchene is what he is. 

Also

Patches Galchenyuk Radulov

Lehkonen Duchene Gallagher 

Byron Danault Shaw

McCarrron Plekanec Flynn/Mitchel

That Bottom Six is all interchangeable 

That looks like a team ready for a deep playoff run...Injuries will happen and players will shuffle around

6 minutes ago, Commandant said:

The point is that he's not elite.  

And Galchenyuk is a 60 point player at 22 not 26.... its not the same. 

if you want to trade Sergachev for MacKinnon I'm all ears, but Galchenyuk is improving, MacKinnon is improving... at 26 Duchene is what he is. 

I agree with you that Duchene is what he is and he is not elite, but I just took a look at his Stats....he has had some good years.  67 points in his sophomore year, and he has been very close to a point per game for a couple of years.  He would make our team substantially better for a long time as his "prime" years are still ahead of him.     

I don't actually think it would happen but its cool to speculate. Him playing with Lehkonen would be great. In a year or so when Lehkonen really finds his game he will need someone who can keep up with him and Duchene has speed to burn.