Alrighty let's have some fun.

Montreal is in win now mode, right?

To Montreal

- Henrik Zetterberg

To Detroit

- Artturi Lehkonen

- 1st Round Pick 2018

- 1st Round Pick 2019

The Detroit Red Wings are $3.9M over the cap and still have someone to sign. They need to cut some of their cap to play this season. They are also in a rebuilding stage (but in denial about it) so they would need skilled young players.

Zetterberg is 36 with four more years left on his contract but the deal was signed before he was 35 and the final two years are at only $1M (he could also play all four years just fine). He had 67 points last year and can play left wing and centre.

Zetterberg allows you flexibility with Alex Galchenyuk. He can either be your #1 centre with Chuck on the LW, or he creates a 1A/1B situation with Pacioretty with Chuck at centre. Losing Lehkonen sucks but Montreal needs a Cup in the next two years. With Zetterberg, Montreal could potentially have a Top 10 offence in the league. There's no real sign of his game dropping as he had his best offensive season since 11-12 despite the Wings having their worst season in like 30 years. While only six points in his last 14 playoff games, he's in the past been a real gamer. Multiple Cups. He might be real hungry to win another before he retires.

If this team is going after the Cup, those first round picks won't mean much. This is about getting one of the best in the league, maybe older, but still elite. Top 25 in the league, 13th among centres. You want a top centre? Here's what you can do to get it. It ain't Tavares but that's a pipe dream anyway. This is realistic, and could make the Habs an actual threat in the East.

Way too much.... way too much.

He'll be 37 before the season starts.  We'd be giving up a very promising young player and 2 first rounders. 

I'm fine with trading that, but not for a guy who is 37. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Man, relax. I don't know what's up with you and Lovett, but for my part, all I said was that his production has dropped substantially over the last two seasons. Now that's just a fact, and his career points-per-game average occludes that fact rather than bringing it to the fore. Therefore, i suggested that we might want to think harder about the difference between an 80-point and a 66-point C, and where we see Tavares falling on that continuum in the future as opposed to the past. I'd also feel better if there were an explanation for his rather dramatic drop in production, because Lovett is correct on the following specific point: we've seen other stars have explosive early careers before settling into lesser production levels, and there is no particular reason to assume that Tavares is different.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying this to attack anybody (including Tavares), nor to score cheap debating points. Why would I? What do I care, particularly, about John Tavares? But there is often a gap between a player's rep and his actual performance, and I find it interesting to consider that this might be the case with him. That's all. (And I certainly wouldn't deny that even as a 66-point guy, he would still be the best C the team has had since pre-injury Koivu).

I think Tavares has had huge upheaval on his wings in New York.  Ladd replacing Okposo didn't work and was a significant downgrade and that has effected his overall production. Thats why they went out and got Eberle this off-season. 

7 hours ago, Commandant said:

I think Tavares has had huge upheaval on his wings in New York.  Ladd replacing Okposo didn't work and was a significant downgrade and that has effected his overall production. Thats why they went out and got Eberle this off-season. 

Makes sense. In any case, we'll have much of this season to observe his performance. If he continues on as a 60+-points guy, then I would call that a red flag that his days of really top-end production are over.

As for Gallagher for Nuge, I'd do it. The odds of JT being available are very unclear.

10 hours ago, DON said:

I wonder what else Oilers GM would demand with Gallagher for Hopkins? Habsterix posed it, sounds good to me, unless Oiler demand would be too much.

"I still feel like a deal based on RNH and Brendan Gallagher (add here or there) makes a lot of sense for both teams."

I agree with the foundation of Nugent-Hopkins and Gallagher.  I remember reading an Edmonton writer acknowledging that on paper it makes sense but the team apparently has no interest in Gallagher.  (I can't find it now, of course, but I do remember reading it.)

19 hours ago, illWill said:

Re: Tavares

Mr. Lovett, what you’ve just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever read. At no point in your rambling, incoherent responses were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this thread is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Billy Madison is one of my favorite movies

Middle school humor meant for small minds. Maybe you ought to write fart jokes on your own time instead of burping up your daily dose of baloney on here?

"Duhhhh...faith in Bergevin...duhhh...Carey Price yo...duhhh Shea Weber's ma boy...duhhh."

Did I come close to what you do on here, moron?

And now, for our near-daily request to stop with the personal insults.  If you can't post without resorting to personal insults, please do everyone a favour and not bother posting that comment.

If you're the one responding to a pot shot, be the bigger person and bite your tongue (or in this case, fingers).  If you're the one making it, refer to the above.  Use the ignore list if you need to.

This is not that difficult of a request, it's common courtesy that is exercised in daily life.  If you can do so in your day-to-day exploits, you can certainly do so here as well.  You've all shown yourself to be capable of doing so in the past so it's not like we're asking you to drastically change here.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, dlbalr said:

And now, for our near-daily request to stop with the personal insults.  If you can't post without resorting to personal insults, please do everyone a favour and not bother posting that comment.

If you're the one responding to a pot shot, be the bigger person and bite your tongue (or in this case, fingers).  If you're the one making it, refer to the above.  Use the ignore list if you need to.

This is not that difficult of a request, it's common courtesy that is exercised in daily life.  If you can do so in your day-to-day exploits, you can certainly do so here as well.  You've all shown yourself to be capable of doing so in the past so it's not like we're asking you to drastically change here.

Yeah, what's going on this summer anyway? Way too much personal animosity on here.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Stogey24 said:

How long before RNH is in Habs jersey 

The Oilers are in no real rush to move him as they still have plenty of cap room.  It's quite likely that they'll wait until next offseason to trade him.

Guest Stogey24
11 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

The Oilers are in no real rush to move him as they still have plenty of cap room.  It's quite likely that they'll wait until next offseason to trade him.

I was sort of thinking the same thing.

They might as well run with him as long as they can. Mcdavid,Draistl, Hopkins ain't too bad down the middle. 

5 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Well that sucks!

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

With Zajac out 4-6 months, New Jersey moving one of their extra centres may be off the table.

I'm thinking they might want to give Pavel and Nico some time at C. Plus Boyle is probably their #2 or #3 C.

Just looking at their roster, RW seems to be a weakness. 

Maybe Pleks and Gallagher plus a prospect for Henrique and a pick

1 hour ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

I'm thinking they might want to give Pavel and Nico some time at C. Plus Boyle is probably their #2 or #3 C.

Just looking at their roster, RW seems to be a weakness. 

Maybe Pleks and Gallagher plus a prospect for Henrique and a pick

Don't forget the Hall-Henrique connection back in junior, those two are very close.  I imagine they'll go Henrique-Hischier-Zacha-Boyle (maybe flip 2/3 depending on Hischier's readiness).  I also think Zajac's the one they'll inevitably want to move.

1 hour ago, ehjay said:

Nicklas Bäckström for Max Pac + 2x 1st round picks. Would that work?

I would not give up a 40 goal scorer for a 25 goal scorer and 2 1st's. We need offence that means goals.