Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

1 minute ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Our 30 year old captain who is also our best goal scorer, rather than a hypothetical lottery pick that has little guarantee of being extremely high. In order to acquire Nugent Hopkins? Although I didn’t specify that the 1st round pick would be this year, yes I would. And I’m fine with being in the minority on that. Pacioretty will regress but he is one of the best goal scorers in the league. 

So you are fine with giving a guy you know is going to regress, an 8 year deal at 7 million+ (cause that's what he'll be looking for). 

Look at Andrew Ladd before and after his free agent contract.... thats what you are looking at with giving Pacioretty a big money long-term deal. 

I'll take the 18-year-old top 10 (and maybe top 5) pick on a cost-controlled salary. 

9 minutes ago, Commandant said:

So you are fine with giving a guy you know is going to regress, an 8 year deal at 7 million+ (cause that's what he'll be looking for). 

Look at Andrew Ladd before and after his free agent contract.... thats what you are looking at with giving Pacioretty a big money long-term deal. 

I'll take the 18-year-old top 10 (and maybe top 5) pick. 

Yup, it’s to each their own. I do feel as though keeping Pacioretty is actually a slightly safer move whereas keeping the draft pick has a higher risk-reward component. 

I obviously like Pacioretty and would like to think he deserves 7 million. 8 years makes it look ugly but it’s also not a guarantee that his contract would be that long. A lot of the counter arguments seem to be futuristic “written in stone” numbers and names that aren’t actually certain.

Pacioretty’s name, style of play and statistical capability are all well evident. Some people hate him for what he brings. I on the other hand will miss his scoring when he’s gone. 

I also have to repeat that after this year, used cap space has become one of my least worries when it comes to a discussion of an elite player. Pacioretty deserves 7 million wherever he goes. 

I was trying to facilitate the discussion about acquiring Nugent-Hopkins in order to address a need we have at center. And trying to do so without giving up a core piece ourselves. 

We could just as easily keep Pacioretty and draft high as well. 

3 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

I think a few of my points were proven there  because Alzner is not a #6 dman, and wasn’t when he was on a contender. 

Then you’ve given reasons why both teams shouldn’t do the trade. Et voila.  That’s how most realistic trades should be. 

Alzner was the #6 dman for Washington in last year’s playoffs.

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

We aren't the only team who will be after RNH.

Look at Columbus, Look at San Jose, look at a few other teams as well.... 

You are going to have to give something significant to beat those teams. 

Pacioretty is damned significant return, one unlikely to be topped by those teams.

That said, he would be much *more* significant if EDM were looking to add major firepower for a Cup drive. Since this is not the case, it will drive down Patches' value for them; this summer, they'll be looking at him as a 30-year-old impeding UFA rather than the guy who could help them win a Cup in the immediate term. That's why I was expressing disappointment that EDM is out of the playoff hunt.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Pacioretty is damned significant return, one unlikely to be topped by those teams.

That said, he would be much *more* significant if EDM were looking to add major firepower for a Cup drive. Since this is not the case, it will drive down Patches' value for them; this summer, they'll be looking at him as a 30-year-old impeding UFA rather than the guy who could help them win a Cup in the immediate term. That's why I was expressing disappointment that EDM is out of the playoff hunt.

Pacioretty absolutely is. 

My point was more to the idea of trying to get this done without Pacioretty, Galchenyuk or Gallagher included

8 minutes ago, Commandant said:

And was even scratched at times.

He was injured for basically the first time in his career. 

(To Habs29) Look at their depth chart from last year and Alzner was their #1 LD

I dislike Alzner but no #6 defenseman would be the second most sought out defenseman in any free agency year. Overpaid no doubt, but he’s not the only free agent that has been. 

4 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

I dislike Alzner but no #6 defenseman would be the second most sought out defenseman in any free agency year. Overpaid no doubt, but he’s not the only free agent that has been. 

Carlson is there #1

Orlov #2

Niskanen #3

Orkip #4

Alzner was there #5

Venn_Ds.0.png

Skater Time on Ice Statistics

Even Strength   Power Play   Short Handed
Rk Player Pos Shift GP   TOI
CF% Rel GF/60 GA/60   TOI CF% Rel GF/60 GA/60   TOI CF% Rel GF/60 GA/60
1 Matt Niskanen D 0:51 82   19:23 -0.7 2.3 2.0   2:24 -3.0 9.3 0.3   2:51 -5.6 0.3 6.1
2 Karl Alzner D 0:45 82   18:28 -3.1 2.3 1.8   0:03 -9.6 20.6 0.0   2:50 -4.9 0.3 5.4
3 John Carlson D 0:45 56   18:13 -1.1 2.9 1.9   3:18 4.8 8.0 0.6   2:10 0.8 0.5 4.4
4 Brooks Orpik D 0:43 41   17:32 -0.8 3.5 2.7   0:01 12.7 0.0 0.0   2:14 4.7 0.7 4.6
5 Nate Schmidt D 0:53 72   16:40 -0.2 2.4 1.9   0:03 10.3 6.9 0.0   1:20 3.1 0.0 6.8
6 Alex Ovechkin LW 0:57 79   16:00 4.0 3.3 2.1   4:17 15.9 9.2 0.9   0:00   0.0 0.0
7 Dmitry Orlov D 0:54 82   15:21 4.2 3.1 2.6   0:31 -6.6 3.8 2.5   0:08 17.2 0.0 5.2
8 Nicklas Backstrom C 0:41 75   15:12 1.4 2.7 1.7   3:04 5.1 9.6 0.8   0:53 -1.5 0.0 5.4
9 Evgeny Kuznetsov C 0:53 82   15:11

3 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Yup, it’s to each their own. I do feel as though keeping Pacioretty is actually a slightly safer move whereas keeping the draft pick has a higher risk-reward component. 

I obviously like Pacioretty and would like to think he deserves 7 million. 8 years makes it look ugly but it’s also not a guarantee that his contract would be that long. A lot of the counter arguments seem to be futuristic “written in stone” numbers and names that aren’t actually certain.

Pacioretty’s name, style of play and statistical capability are all well evident. Some people hate him for what he brings. I on the other hand will miss his scoring when he’s gone. 

I also have to repeat that after this year, used cap space has become one of my least worries when it comes to a discussion of an elite player. Pacioretty deserves 7 million wherever he goes. 

I was trying to facilitate the discussion about acquiring Nugent-Hopkins in order to address a need we have at center. And trying to do so without giving up a core piece ourselves. 

We could just as easily keep Pacioretty and draft high as well. 

You’re assuming PACs resigns in Montreal, which in my opinion is unlikely.

if he walks after next season you’ve lost him for nothing.

2016-17 Washington Capitals Defence - Time on Ice per game

Regular Season

1) John Carlson 22:42

2) Matt Niskanen 22:10

3) Kevin Shattenkirk 20:12

4) Karl Alzner - 19:47

5) Dmitry Orlov - 19:32

Playoffs

1) Niskanen 22:38

2) Carlson 22:24

3) Orlov 21:24

4) Shattenkirk 18:27

5) Schmidt 16:38
6) Orpik 15:55

7) Alzner 15:45

51 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Which is the problem with free agency, and why i don't want to sign Pacioretty long-term

The NHL, more and more is skewing to a younger age group in terms of star players, and the faster the game gets the more players start to drop off in their early 30s.  Learn the lessons here of Plekanec, Andrew Ladd, and how many other free agents signed at 29/30 years old. 

I don't think Pacioretty would drop much, but he certainly wouldn't become better. We got plenty of options at left wing and there's nothing he provides as a leader to make him too valuable to lose. Why not get something good in return for him? The only thing I'm hearing from folks is nostalgia because he certainly was no hero for us in the playoffs. We tried, it didn't work, move on.

• Like 1

Trade idea.. majority of you will hate it..

Montreal trades Pacioretty, McCarron, and 3rd round pick to LA

LA trades Kale Clague, Jaret Anderson-Dolan, Gabriel Vilardi, and Dustin Brown (2 million salary retained per year)

LA gets cap space to resign Pacs and a C project to fill the gap left by trading two and Montreal stocks the cupboard while replacing Pleks with Brown next season at a cap hit of 3.8 

42 minutes ago, zumpano21 said:

Weber to EDM for their 1st Rd 2018 pick. 

I could see Edmonton being interested in Weber, but I think there would have to be more pieces moving in this deal.  Oilers can't absorb Weber's cap hit without sending a fairly big contract back..

4 minutes ago, John B said:

I could see Edmonton being interested in Weber, but I think there would have to be more pieces moving in this deal.  Oilers can't absorb Weber's cap hit without sending a fairly big contract back..

I could see

Weber +rose 

To oilers 

For RNH

14 minutes ago, Metallica said:

I could see

Weber +rose 

To oilers 

For RNH

Oilers will not move RNH simply to bring back a more expensive cap hit in the deal.  The Oilers have the McDavid contract to deal with.  Getting rid of RNH when no one wants Lucic or Russell will be their solution.

they need to cut somewhere.  Cicarelli loaded his team with braindead contracts on lucic and russell.

I wish I knew what the Kings were thinking. 3 points out of a playoff spot, the Gaborik/Phaneuf swap was... a thing. You would think Pacioretty could be a target but it would be crazy for them to trade a guy like Villardi when Carter is 33 and often injured. Were they making room for a winger? And what would they actually give up?

Also, it's funny they have $2.5M in cap used up for dead space.

does anyone think a trade can be made for: (VGK) S.Theodore and a 1st Round Pick  for MaxPac? Or is that unrealistic? 

(edit) i guess not very good as still doesn't fix the (unicorn) #1C but will help D corp no?

Edited by ehjay

Insiders are saying vegas wont sell but also wont be trading 1st rounders or their best prospects as buyers.

That said value is pretty close

Maybe for us... Theodore + suzuki, but no picks would work.  But again thats not what mcphee was looking at.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ehjay said:

does anyone think a trade can be made for: (VGK) S.Theodore and a 1st Round Pick  for MaxPac? Or is that unrealistic? 

(edit) i guess not very good as still doesn't fix the (unicorn) #1C but will help D corp no?

It is an interesting question. What *exactly* do we want back for Max anyway?

A lot of people on this board want a legit #1C back, or at least a prospect with serious #1C potential. No team would trade a fully-developed #1 NHL C for Patches, however; so if we want to leverage Max to find that Unicorn C we'd need to send back significant additional assets, or else settle on the aforementioned prospect.

That's why I've been lobbying for a top-6 C plus a significant prospect, preferably a D. Fill two holes with quality, even if you don't land the Stud C.

But focusing on a d-man instead of a C is a whole other strategy. Shea Theodore would sort of replace Sergachev organizationally. But if you look at the big picture, he'd mean we effectively traded MaxPac and Sergachev for Drouin and Theodore...on the face of it, not exactly awesome, unless that 1st rounder (which is close to being a 2nd rounder) really pans out.

I'd like to get a bit more than that, if possible. Still, I could probably live with that trade; it has some nice upside.

• Like 1