Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

8 million offer sheet to Nylander would cost us a 1st, 2nd, 3rd pick. As Cucumber said, if the first game is any indication then we are not a bottom team and are going to fight for a playoff spot. I would be comfortable with this offer sheet.

Leafs would match and that would set them up for long term trouble.

A Mathews offer sheet would cost us 4 1st round picks which is a lot! but it would screw the leafs completely and set us up with deep centre depth. Mathews - K2 - Poehling = YUM

We actually are in a position to cause the leafs much grief and Nylander, Mathews or Marner would really help us.

Interesting proposition

I see where ya'll coming from with the offer sheet; so I think MB should play the hand with Shanny; flat out tell him he will offer sheet him and make a trade. Laffs might get a body on D and we might be able to sign then less then the offer sheet. I would make a move of such SamPolockness or try anyway :D

(edit)

If MB looses 1/2/3 but signs 5yrs on the offer sheet at 8 per year then I think we paid a lot but fair

but

if MB sells the hand and manages a trade for idk, (kinda sick of being told:what your nuts! not here but...) we keep 1st round pick (hopefully) and maybe offer a little less then idk, because we would need to get Nylander on contract signed.

Kinda a wiifm technic (whats in it for me) in collections. Maybe stupid but u would be suprises how many times late payments come in with that :o

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

The Habs would have to cap their offer at five years at that rate if they wanted to stay at the 1/2/3 level.  Those would all be RFA years too which would be a tough pill for the Leafs to swallow.  That's also a pricey cap hit for the Habs (or any team that wanted to offer sheet him) to take on without buying out any UFA season.

Tough pill but losing him for that package would be much worse. 

More likely they trade him for a blue liner.

9 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Tough pill but losing him for that package would be much worse. 

More likely they trade him for a blue liner.

If they match an offer sheet, they can't trade him for 1 full calendar year. 

27 minutes ago, DON said:

Scherbak for a 4th round pick, or a bit younger similar valued prospect.

I would be happy if we got a 2020 third round pick if that means getting more value. 

A Deslaurier AHLer would be fine for me too, someone who can play hockey but also make sure our prospects do not get run over.

But ideally, I would love to get a late 2nd round pick in 2019 (I know it is too much)

I spent a lot of time this summer coming up with fun trade ideas for "unmovable" contracts like Price and Weber's (with a rebuild in mind). Scouring the needs of other teams, finding ways to match salary... it was fun.

But with his recent stint in the pressbox, I started trying to find possibilities for Karl Alzner. This is not fun. 

I got nothing. Pure blank. I can't figure out who would want him, nor what it would take to get him elsewhere as a cap anchor. The closest I could come was actually taking on a WORSE contract ala Bobby Ryan or Milan Lucic to at least get a guy who could crack the lineup, but that is obviously not ideal.

What have you got, guys? How do you trade Karl Alzner?

19 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

I spent a lot of time this summer coming up with fun trade ideas for "unmovable" contracts like Price and Weber's (with a rebuild in mind). Scouring the needs of other teams, finding ways to match salary... it was fun.

But with his recent stint in the pressbox, I started trying to find possibilities for Karl Alzner. This is not fun. 

I got nothing. Pure blank. I can't figure out who would want him, nor what it would take to get him elsewhere as a cap anchor. The closest I could come was actually taking on a WORSE contract ala Bobby Ryan or Milan Lucic to at least get a guy who could crack the lineup, but that is obviously not ideal.

You let this year pass and then its only two years . Then you suffer for one more year,  then buyout.  

5 hours ago, Trizzak said:

He's boat anchor.

Unless you're trading a pick or a prospect to a team like Arizona, he's not movable. 

You have to eat a percentage of his contract just to move him (and take back a bad deal but maybe a shorter one, so you give up cap space this year to a team who needs it) to get more cap space down the road.

Maybe something like ryan callahan from tampa.... we retain a percentage of alzner... they retain a percentage (but lower on callahan).  Tampa would add cap space this year and next year.  We would add cap space in years 3 and 4.

I would look at teams that have given too many goals against (Vancouver, St-Louis) or that have a older core of players for which the window is closing (Chicago, Pittsburgh)  for Alzner; I would pair him with someone like Scherbak or De la rose (potential 3rd liners in need of new start) and offer to retain salary or to accept a bad contract.

Also, for teams in need of scoring (Florida, Arizona), Scherbak would be the center piece and Alzner the contract they would need to take.

I would try to get a second round pick, from a team with multiple ones in 2019, or a 2nd in 2020.

That's three destinations scenarios and low expectations for return

7 hours ago, Trizzak said:

You don't.  The Habs have plenty of cap space right now so there's no need to deal him with salary retention at this time.  It's an anchor contract but considering the space they have, it's not really hurting them too much at the moment.  If things stay the way they are, he's someone that could easily be waived when Schlemko returns.

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I would look at teams that have given too many goals against (Vancouver, St-Louis) or that have a older core of players for which the window is closing (Chicago, Pittsburgh)  for Alzner; I would pair him with someone like Scherbak or De la rose (potential 3rd liners in need of new start) and offer to retain salary or to accept a bad contract.

Also, for teams in need of scoring (Florida, Arizona), Scherbak would be the center piece and Alzner the contract they would need to take.

I would try to get a second round pick, from a team with multiple ones in 2019, or a 2nd in 2020.

That's three destinations scenarios and low expectations for return

No team is taking on Alzner's contract to add a Scherbak or a de la Rose, players whose trade value isn't any higher than a third rounder on their own.

14 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

No team is taking on Alzner's contract to add a Scherbak or a de la Rose, players whose trade value isn't any higher than a third rounder on their own.

I am not so sure, look at what we got for Simon Bouque and for Pleks: examples of CH getting more back than we (fans) expected 

27 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Brian, your article makes good points about trading Scherbak: http://www.habsworld.net/2018/10/the-nikita-scherbak-quandary/

I say add Alzner, retains salary and send to Florida or Chicago

Edited by alfredoh2009

3 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I am not so sure, look at what we got for Simon Bouque and for Pleks: examples of CH getting more back than we (fans) expected 

Plekanec was an expiring contract which is a much different situation than Alzner who has three years left after this one.

As for Bourque, he wasn't actually wanted by the Jets.  His inclusion was simply because Montreal had to send something the other way and instead of calling it future considerations, they threw him in to clear a contract slot.  It's not that Bourque was worth that much - it was actually the opposite in that his value was so low that he became the 'bag of pucks' going the other way.  His contract was terminated by the Jets last week after Bourque declined to go to the ECHL.

you can go the W. Redden way but might not be ideal, still he would be close to MTL (for famely reasons and needs) and can act like coach on skates in Laval maybe, could justify paying high pay for double duty and pave way for after playing days, maybe, honestly idk I'm just spitting here :/

3 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Plekanec was an expiring contract which is a much different situation than Alzner who has three years left after this one.

As for Bourque, he wasn't actually wanted by the Jets.  His inclusion was simply because Montreal had to send something the other way and instead of calling it future considerations, they threw him in to clear a contract slot.  It's not that Bourque was worth that much - it was actually the opposite in that his value was so low that he became the 'bag of pucks' going the other way.  His contract was terminated by the Jets last week after Bourque declined to go to the ECHL.

Ok, I'll concede that it is close to impossible to get a 2nd rounder for our spare parts. But that is the minimum return I believe makes sense for the CH.

Then the only alternative I see is to delay a decision until next week and decide after #15 has played 5 games

He can be sent down for a few games, To be able to play Scherbak until Deslaurier is back.

at worst, Deslaurier can be waived at the risk of loosing him

Alzner, Scherbak and De la rose will gain value if they play; they would provide best value at the trade deadline. 

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, let's see if I can guess a potential trade right.

To Dallas: Scherbak to bolster their secondary scoring, with some upside 

To Montreal: Dallas' 2nd round pick (dreaming of 1st round but don't know what it would take). It would give the CH some value instead of loosing in waivers or expansion draft

If Scherbak plays tonight, I will be happy for him and have hopes of this happening :)  

43 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Ok, let's see if I can guess a potential trade right.

To Dallas: Scherbak to bolster their secondary scoring, with some upside 

To Montreal: Dallas' 2nd round pick (dreaming of 1st round but don't know what it would take). It would give the CH some value instead of loosing in waivers or expansion draft

If Scherbak plays tonight, I will be happy for him and have hopes of this happening :)  

Scherbak would be lucky to fetch a 4th at the moment.  Players that sit for a full month and aren't deemed good enough to get into the lineup aren't going to be moved for a high draft pick, even if they were a first rounder originally.

14 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Scherbak would be lucky to fetch a 4th at the moment.  Players that sit for a full month and aren't deemed good enough to get into the lineup aren't going to be moved for a high draft pick, even if they were a first rounder originally.

Of all of Bergevin's faults as a GM, his insistence on trading players at their lowest value might be the most frustrating. Scherbek needs to play. 

55 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I may have struck out this time, but I'll be back to bat one of these "spare part" players off the CH's roster

OFFByMortisGhostBanner.png

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking..

anyone think the laffs would trade Marleau and 1st for Plecky (loll again) edit: add maybe something

Pros for laffs they get rid of 6.25 mill on cap to make things happen elsewhere for next year and take less cap hit this year

for Habs, the 1st and C to show how it's done to the young guy on the Team and maybe even how to take face offs to a couple of other folks too.

idk any1 else think might be good?