Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

6 minutes ago, Commandant said:

If you know they are that good... you would never take the chance that another team might draft them. 

Sure you could wait til the third round if you think they are a sleeper.  You don't wait til rounds 6 and 7 and give other teams multiple shots at them if you think they are franchise guys.  It shows you got lucky and they are better than you even thought.

I agree on some of that( yes I do agree with people). Which is why you see gm's trade up and down in the draft to try and get guys they want. But franchise guys are usually 1st overall picks. I think guys fall for different reasons. It all depends on what your team is looking for in players. That's the hard part you really don't know what a 18 year old player will turn into.

1 minute ago, Habsfan89 said:

I agree on some of that( yes I do agree with people). Which is why you see gm's trade up and down in the draft to try and get guys they want. But franchise guys are usually 1st overall picks. I think guys fall for different reasons. It all depends on what your team is looking for in players. That's the hard part you really don't know what a 18 year old player will turn into.

Yes, and thats why I say that its mostly luck when you get hall of fame players in the 6th and 7th round.  No one knew they would turn out to be that good. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Yes, and thats why I say that its mostly luck when you get hall of fame players in the 6th and 7th round.  No one knew they would turn out to be that good. 

I agree but still say it's more than just Luck it's a lot of really good scouting. 

But on that  note it was a very good discussion that didn't get out of hand so I think we can end it on that note.

Edited by Habsfan89
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, DON said:

Of the the Wings picks taken before Datsyuk and Zetterberg, 9 of 10 never made it, Jiri Fischer was only one.

Thats why I don't think its great scouting... its mostly luck when you hit on those late picks. 

12 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Thats why I don't think its great scouting... its mostly luck when you hit on those late picks. 

Mostly luck, yes. But I do agree with Habsfan89 to an extent: really good scouting will improve the odds on those late picks. You might have a 0.1% chance of an elite pick (one in a thousand) instead of 0.01% (one in ten thousand), or something like that. Need good scouting and luck!

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

Those quality scouts 

Drafted Carl Steen (Sweden) in the 5th round, and Tomek Valtonen (polish born, playing in Finland) in the 2nd round... before taking Datsyuk in the 6th round.  If the Euro scouts knew Datsyuk was so good, why did they take those two guys before him?

Drafted Jari Tosla (Sweden) in the 4th round and Andrei Maximenko (russia) in the 5th round.... before taking Zetterberg in the 7th.   If they knew Zetterberg was so good, why did they take the other two ahead of him?

4 guys... 0 NHL Games... taken ahead of Datsyuk and Zetterberg.

why did we take Lekhonen and De La Rose ahead of Mccaron?

Check that - why did we take Mccaron?

7 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

Because our gm was being an old school nut sack.

I think was more that the owner was tired of his team being called bunch of smurffs?

Can't wait for the 20-21 game mark to see what players may be available (from panicking teams) and where the CH stands.

For now, this team seems to be an upgrade from last year :gohabsgo:

#playofbound

23 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Can't wait for the 20-21 game mark to see what players may be available (from panicking teams) and where the CH stands.

For now, this team seems to be an upgrade from last year :gohabsgo:

#playofbound

They are on the bubble, right where they belong.

15 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

They are on the bubble, right where they belong.

I agree. Based on the play of Price and Weber so far. This team is built around depth, a star goalie and a star defenseman.

Forward depth is as good as you can ask for. 1B, 2A, 2B, 3B would be my ranking of the lines. a 1st line, two 2nd lines and a 3rd line.

Defensive depth is atrocious. Mete would not be a 2nd pairing guy on most teams. I like him and I'm rooting for him, but I'm not seeing the development. (#shouldadraftedQuinnHugheslikecommandosaid) The glaring, unfilled hole at #3 D is rearing its ugly head again this year.

Price has been OK but not elite. Weber is picking up points, but appears to be struggling in his own zone

There is no star forward. so that's a weakness too, but depth seems to be making up for it.

7 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

I agree. Based on the play of Price and Weber so far. This team is built around depth, a star goalie and a star defenseman.

Forward depth is as good as you can ask for. 1B, 2A, 2B, 3B would be my ranking of the lines. a 1st line, two 2nd lines and a 3rd line.

Defensive depth is atrocious. Mete would not be a 2nd pairing guy on most teams. I like him and I'm rooting for him, but I'm not seeing the development. (#shouldadraftedQuinnHugheslikecommandosaid) The glaring, unfilled hole at #3 D is rearing its ugly head again this year.

Price has been OK but not elite. Weber is picking up points, but appears to be struggling in his own zone

There is no star forward. so that's a weakness too, but depth seems to be making up for it.

While I see Price as being "pretty good" so far but indeed "not elite," I'm not too worried about him. Weber, on the other hand, has clearly entered his decline. That said, our FW depth looks very good, and by a happy stroke of fortune, Petry has proved to be a late bloomer, emerging as an elite D-man at exactly the time Weber started to regress. The real concern with Weber is that we'll be carrying that $8 million contract for another eight years (!!).

The LD situation is a debacle, but hey, we can't possibly expect a GM to fix a glaring hole in only 2-3 years, right? It takes our guy about a half-dozen years to get around to doing that. But that's OK because he is the only man in the entire hockey world who doesn't believe in "windows." 🙄

The good news is that if, by some miracle, MB gets off his hammock and actually manages to add an impact LD, I suspect the team will hit another level. The team's not far away from vaulting over the playoff bar; it's just handicapped by this joke of a LD.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

The real concern with Weber is that we'll be carrying that $8 million contract for another eight years (!!).

Should he retire 3+ years from now, our cap hit would be negligible, Nashville would take the hit. Or more likely Nashville would want to get him back on a trade and bury his contract in LTIR.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

🐟🐠🐡 Fishing for #PKvsWeber comments?  🐟🐠🐡  

Of course a bit, but primarily from those who ranted and raved  endlessly about Subban headed to hall of fame and his future was so much brighter than washed up old man Weber.

And I like hearing positive stories about our captain and I thought was interesting Bergy saying he was looking for a change (Subban gone) from day 1.

Sorry to reopen old trade, couldn't help myself.:devil:

3 hours ago, DON said:

Of course a bit, but primarily from those who ranted and raved  endlessly about Subban headed to hall of fame and his future was so much brighter than washed up old man Weber.

And I like hearing positive stories about our captain and I thought was interesting Bergy saying he was looking for a change (Subban gone) from day 1.

Sorry to reopen old trade, couldn't help myself.:devil:

The usual rant/complain has been less this year. The CH seems to finally be trending in the right direction. Loved PK and I like what healthy Weber brings. All is good

Here is an idea:

to Chicago:
Chicago's 2nd round pick, Josh Brook and Christian Folin (to make room on the NHL roster)

to Montreal:

Erik Gustafsson 

On a contract year, Gustafsson would coe to Montreal like Petry did and may fill the LD hole.

Chicago gets a draft pick, a good prospect and an NHL RD which they seem to be lacking.  

17 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Here is an idea:

to Chicago:
Chicago's 2nd round pick, Josh Brook and Christian Folin (to make room on the NHL roster)

to Montreal:

Erik Gustafsson 

On a contract year, Gustafsson would coe to Montreal like Petry did and may fill the LD hole.

Chicago gets a draft pick, a good prospect and an NHL RD which they seem to be lacking.  

He did put up a lot of points last year but Josh Brook and a 2nd seems like a lot to give up for a guy who will likely be a rental. I am really high on Josh Brook and hate to give him up but in the right deal it may be worth it. 

22 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

He did put up a lot of points last year but Josh Brook and a 2nd seems like a lot to give up for a guy who will likely be a rental. I am really high on Josh Brook and hate to give him up but in the right deal it may be worth it. 

Maybe Juulsen? But definitely a D prospect

Personally, I wouldn't give up Brook or a second rounder for Gustafsson let alone both.  (Someone probably will but it better not be Montreal.)  He put up points last year but hasn't done much at that end this season and he's a liability in his own end.  He's not the solution to play with Weber as they will want someone that can actually defend to make that pairing the matchup one.  They can't do that with Gustafsson.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

That is what I was looking at, and this year he seems to have ok statistics

21 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Personally, I wouldn't give up Brook or a second rounder for Gustafsson let alone both.  (Someone probably will but it better not be Montreal.)  He put up points last year but hasn't done much at that end this season and he's a liability in his own end.  He's not the solution to play with Weber as they will want someone that can actually defend to make that pairing the matchup one.  They can't do that with Gustafsson.

I was thinking of how Petry had good offensive numbers and terrible defensive numbers and how it took a couple of years in Montreal to become the player he is.

But you are probably right on Gustafsson

Here is another trade proposal:

To Montreal:

Jacob Larsson(LD), drafted  27th in 2015. 

To Anaheim:

Juulsen and maybe a draft pick

Both need to be protected in the expansion draft with Larsson having more scoring potential

Edited by alfredoh2009