Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

It's the 20th game mark, and I cannot help taking one last crack at a trade (now based on this https://thehockeywriters.com/canadiens-available-assets-roster-upgrade/)

To Montreal:

Jonas Brodin

To Minnesota:

Tatar, Kulak, Hudon and Chicago's 2nd

Our highest point producer, one NHL calibre LD, a borderline NHLer with scoring potential and a decent draft pick. 

For Brodin, I would go as high as Mete instead of Kulak, but no more than that.

8 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

It's the 20th game mark, and I cannot help taking one last crack at a trade (now based on this https://thehockeywriters.com/canadiens-available-assets-roster-upgrade/)

To Montreal:

Jonas Brodin

To Minnesota:

Our highest point producer, one NHL calibre LD, a borderline NHLer with scoring potential and a decent draft pick. 

Ouch. I would think that if the Wild continue to struggle they might want pics more than players. I think your proposal minus Tatar plus another pick might do it. I don’t think trading Tatar this season would be in the team’s best interest 

9 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

To Montreal:

Jonas Brodin

To Minnesota:

Complete overpayment. MINN wouldn't think twice about that move. You'd even add Mete instead of Kulak? This is crazy talk...

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

To Montreal:

Jonas Brodin

To Minnesota:

If anyone becomes sellers they're going to want 1st and 2nd round picks , young NHL ready players or players who will become Ufa's at the end of the year. And Hudon  and Kulak won't get you a top 4 D.

Kulak you can probably get a 4th or lower draft pick and Hudon  the same.

I'd probably look to the Muzzin trade from last season as a blueprint for a Brodin trade, although Muzzin puts up more points. That deal was a 1st (22nd OA), Sean Durzi (former 52nd OA), and Carl Grundstrom (former 52nd OA).

So take that and subtract til you feel okay trading it for Brodin.

Tatar's stock has gone up substantially since arriving in MTL. Think of what Vegas gave up to get him and not what Montreal gave up. He's been back to his Detroit form last year and 20 games in this year (if not better) I don't believe we are a better team with Brodin in and Tatar, Kulak (Mete) and a 2nd out. Geese, why would anyone be so quick to give up Mete. He's 20 and has been playing in our top 4 for multiple seasons now. His confidence is rising almost daily! I want to continue with this Meate experiment and only want to bring in a true top left D... 

Brodin is not the guy id want at least. I'd personally want to make a play for Werenski or Slavin even though Torts hates MTL with a passion and CAR is in no hurry to deal with us since Aho.

And im Not saying they are available. Just that those are the types of players Id want playing with Mete Petry and Weber and pushing for a major splash. Otherwise Id be thinking of just swapping a right handed d prospect for a left d prospect just for balance... throw in picks as well for a blue chip.

Werenski(Slavin) - Weber

Mete L- Petry R

Chiarot L- Fleury R

Kulak L - Juulsen R

Reilly - Follin

Romanov - Brook

Norlinder  

Harris

So who do we give up?

Start with our 1st and one of our 2nd's. Add 2 prospects and a roster a player.

Is that too much? probably... but the player coming back is worth it, not Brodin!

I believe MB will pick up a rental this season only if we don't have any unforeseen slumps prior to the deadline. And will rely on Romanov joining the mix next season.

On LW, the CH will go with Drouin and probably Domi once Suzuki and Kotka establish themselves at center 

that makes Tatar available for an upgrade at LD

Chiarot and the new LD would make Kulak expendable 

Edited by alfredoh2009

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

On LW, the CH will go with Drouin and probably Domi once Suzuki and Kotka establish themselves at center 

that makes Tatar available for an upgrade at LD

Chiarot and the new LD would make Kulak expendable 

Hold that though until Drouin gets back from IR. One positive from missing two wingers is that Suzuki and Kotkaniemi will get to play a lot at center and to show their talent

12 hours ago, PMAC said:

Ouch. I would think that if the Wild continue to struggle they might want pics more than players. I think your proposal minus Tatar plus another pick might do it. I don’t think trading Tatar this season would be in the team’s best interest 

If they view Dubnik like we view Price, they may go for help in forwards in the 25 to 30 range to build around their top-3 defensemen. 

Now, with Drouin out, we do not have scoring wings to spare. 

12 hours ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Complete overpayment. MINN wouldn't think twice about that move. You'd even add Mete instead of Kulak? This is crazy talk...

Mete instead of Kulak is overpayment. Kulak for Brodin is underpayment. Tatar at his highest makes it happen. But that was before the injuries

3 hours ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Tatar's stock has gone up substantially since arriving in MTL. Think of what Vegas gave up to get him and not what Montreal gave up. He's been back to his Detroit form last year and 20 games in this year (if not better) I don't believe we are a better team with Brodin in and Tatar, Kulak (Mete) and a 2nd out. Geese, why would anyone be so quick to give up Mete. He's 20 and has been playing in our top 4 for multiple seasons now. His confidence is rising almost daily! I want to continue with this Meate experiment and only want to bring in a true top left D... 

Brodin is not the guy id want at least. I'd personally want to make a play for Werenski or Slavin even though Torts hates MTL with a passion and CAR is in no hurry to deal with us since Aho.

And im Not saying they are available. Just that those are the types of players Id want playing with Mete Petry and Weber and pushing for a major splash. Otherwise Id be thinking of just swapping a right handed d prospect for a left d prospect just for balance... throw in picks as well for a blue chip.

Werenski(Slavin) - Weber

Mete L- Petry R

Chiarot L- Fleury R

Kulak L - Juulsen R

Reilly - Follin

Romanov - Brook

Norlinder  

Harris

So who do we give up?

Start with our 1st and one of our 2nd's. Add 2 prospects and a roster a player.

Is that too much? probably... but the player coming back is worth it, not Brodin!

I believe MB will pick up a rental this season only if we don't have any unforeseen slumps prior to the deadline. And will rely on Romanov joining the mix next season.

As far as top LD goes: NYR's Skjei and DAL's Lindell would be perfect; on the younger side: Det's Cholowski and VAN's Juolevi would alos be great.

I do not think the CH has the assets to get those players. I would not trade draft picks until the CH has a strong organization with elite talent. 

22 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

As far as top LD goes: NYR's Skjei and DAL's Lindell would be perfect; on the younger side: Det's Cholowski and VAN's Juolevi would alos be great.

I do not think the CH has the assets to get those players. I would not trade draft picks until the CH has a strong organization with elite talent. 

Just as an FYI, Juolevi has serious long-term injuries and has played something like 70 games over the past three seasons. He's done.

The Habs have a strong organization right now. As for "elite talent," where's it going to come from? As a bubble team, we're going to be drafting in the middle of the pack of better. The Canadiens have a consistent pattern of drafting good-not-great players, and there seems to be no particular reason to expect that to change (unless we get lucky, of course, but that can happen to any team at any time, as can a stroke of terrible luck).

This is why I'm much less convinced than the majority of Habs fans seem to be that we should be hoarding assets and not risking *any* picks or youth to fix the LD problem. I doubt that in three years the Habs will be dramatically better than the team now. Sure, Suzuki and KoKo will be more mature, but Weber, Petry, and Price will be three years older. So will Gallagher, incidentally, who is 27. There are no super-elite, franchise-type players in the system, and we aren't likely to add any such players in the foreseeable future.

This is not an argument to go "all in" on this group and fire-bomb the system in order to WIN NOW. What I'm saying is that we should be willing to put a quality young player/prospect in play if we can get back an impact LD who is either young or in his mid-20s. Fix the gaping hole. Then see where your team really is.  

4 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Just as an FYI, Juolevi has serious long-term injuries and has played something like 70 games over the past three seasons. He's done.

Juolevi is out with a "lower-body injury", not related to his earlier injuries. No word how long-term it is. He's been injured a number of times, whether it's because he's injury-prone or he's just had bad luck. And, no, I'm not advocating trading for him.

But I do support trading some youth for a top LD, provided that it's a player that we really want (and fits into our lineup and system), and that the cost is acceptable.

2 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Juolevi is out with a "lower-body injury", not related to his earlier injuries. No word how long-term it is. He's been injured a number of times, whether it's because he's injury-prone or he's just had bad luck. And, no, I'm not advocating trading for him.

But I do support trading some youth for a top LD, provided that it's a player that we really want (and fits into our lineup and system), and that the cost is acceptable.

The issue is that Juolevi's development has been hampered by the injuries. There is no substitute for playing games and I don't think he's seen as a future #1 LD at this point. 

As for other issues in the thread. 

My target would be Jake Bean who is being held back by Carolina's depth.

Lets be real Slavin and Werenski are not available. Carolina isn't moving their #1 D man, its not happening.  Its as much a pipe dream as asking the Leafs for Auston Matthews or asking the Oilers for McDavid.  These deals just aren't realistic. I also don't think the Stars will move Essa Lindell after signing him long-term on a team friendly deal. 

As for Domi, I don't think we should assume he will be a LW long-term.  He can also play RW and I still think its likely he goes back to C where he's been at his best. So the idea that the Domi and Drouin push Tatar out seems misguided too. 

As for solving the LD issue via prospects and draft, I get that we look at the C problem and the only way to solve that was to draft top 5 and it couldn't be solved later in the draft. This isn't the same when we look at LD.  Look at the number 1 d-men around the league.  Over half have been taken at pick 15 or later in the draft (with a good 45% being 2nd round or later).  Filling a defence hole later in the draft, is much easier than getting a number 1 C later in the draft. 

This is why its worth asking... will one or more or Romanov, Harris, Norlinder, Struble, Brook, or Fleury, develop into top pair defencemen?

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

"The Habs have a strong organization right now. [...] a bubble team [...] drafting in the middle of the pack"

[...] What I'm saying is that we should be willing to put a quality young player/prospect in play if we can get back an impact LD who is either young or in his mid-20s." 

This duality of having a strong organisation AND being a bubble team is why I was not originally targeting a top-pair LD but a second-pair LD from teams that may trade for assets the CH has. Minnesota seems like a good candidate, as well as Anaheim.

I am proposing to act this year and not to wait and see because of the "closing window" you mention.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

[...] As for other issues in the thread. 

My target would be Jake Bean who is being held back by Carolina's depth.

As for Domi, I don't think we should assume he will be a LW long-term.  He can also play RW and I still think its likely he goes back to C where he's been at his best. So the idea that the Domi and Drouin push Tatar out seems misguided too. 

I do not think teams like Carolina, Tampa or Toronto will be willing trading partners with the CH.

As for Domi, Drouin and Tatar. I was not trying to say that D& D push out T. I was saying that Kotka and Suzuki seem to be pushing out Domi to the wing and that if that works Tatar will become a trading asset to get a top-4 LD

56 minutes ago, Habber31 said:

I highly doubt Carolina wants anything to do with the Habs. It may be out of sheer arrogance by Dundon, but I don't see them being a trade partner 

I think the only time Carolina looks the habs way is to sign one of our top RFA's to a pay back contract.

I think if a deal makes sense for carolina, then carolina will make the deal.  Dunden is a business man, and waddell is an experienced gm.  They both know that you dont let emotion get in the way of a good deal.

That said, its gotta be a deal that really addresses one of the canes needs or they arent doing it.

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

I think if a deal makes sense for carolina, then carolina will make the deal.  Dunden is a business man, and waddell is an experienced gm.  They both know that you dont let emotion get in the way of a good deal.

That said, its gotta be a deal that really addresses one of the canes needs or they arent doing it.

Only time Carolina makes a deal with the habs is if they really want a player from Montreal badly. Other wise I think Bergevin's number is block and his emails go straight to the junk folder lol.

50 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

Only time Carolina makes a deal with the habs is if they really want a player from Montreal badly. Other wise I think Bergevin's number is block and his emails go straight to the junk folder lol.

I doubt that.  There are 30 people to do business with. I doubt you blackball one over an offer sheet. If the deal helps his team,  the owner and gm will consider it. Feelings and business are normally separated.  That's why corporations have so many sociopaths in key positions. 

• Upvote 1

On 11/21/2019 at 9:34 AM, Easy Ryder said:

What would be a right price to pay for Toffoli ? 

Juullsen +

Optional second round in 2020 if he signs Mtl.

Looking for a top 9 right winger to play with Domi and Suzuki. Arnia should go back with KK.

Still think a 23-25minute/gm LH d should be priority over a forward.

36 minutes ago, DON said:

Still think a 23-25minute/gm LH d should be priority over a forward.

You are so right. And we *absolutely* shouldn't be moving picks or prospects for FW at this juncture...only for LD, in my opinion.

26 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

You are so right. And we *absolutely* shouldn't be moving picks or prospects for FW at this juncture...only for LD, in my opinion.

Disagree.. LD is obviously the biggest need but that shouldn’t prevent MTL from looking to upgrade other areas.

Toffoli would be a great top 6 addition.. keep Armia on the third, Weal on the fourth.

31 minutes ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

Disagree.. LD is obviously the biggest need but that shouldn’t prevent MTL from looking to upgrade other areas.

Toffoli would be a great top 6 addition.. keep Armia on the third, Weal on the fourth.

Nothing wrong with upgrading, but picks and prospects have to be handled strategically. Trading some for upgrades to our current area of strength (FW depth) leaves fewer available for addressing our one area of comical, ongoing weakness (LD). And we are certainly not at the point where we should be going all-in and selling the farm for immediate upgrades in general.So I stand by my assessment.