Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

5 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

With the Stall trade ... Hockey30 (as is their very raison d'etre) speculates that Stall was moved to make room for Domi or Danault ... with the 22nd pick as part of the deal ... what/who else would be reasonable?

Kaapo Kakko would further enhance the Finnish flavour of the Habs ... but the 22nd and Kakko is not a "win now" move ... also, ***might*** take more than Domi or Danault

I think you're being generous with the 'might' take more.  It absolutely would take a lot more to get Kakko and a 1st round pick than one of Domi or Danault.  It would take considerably more than one of them to get Kakko alone.

They got rid of Staal since they have to re-sign DeAngelo, Strome, and Georgiev (among others).  They probably still need to clear money (the expected Lundqvist buyout would help, Brendan Smith is another buyout candidate to watch for) to keep what they have let alone add.

And a hypothetical trade of Kakko and a pick for Domi and Danault would make their cap situation substantially worse yet, so I can't see them going there (even ignoring the fact that D+D would not be enough).

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

With the Stall trade ... Hockey30 (as is their very raison d'etre) speculates that Stall was moved to make room for Domi or Danault ... with the 22nd pick as part of the deal ... what/who else would be reasonable?

Kaapo Kakko would further enhance the Finnish flavour of the Habs ... but the 22nd and Kakko is not a "win now" move ... also, ***might*** take more than Domi or Danault

The rangers would love Kakko for Danault AND Domi

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

I think you're being generous with the 'might' take more.  It absolutely would take a lot more to get Kakko and a 1st round pick than one of Domi or Danault.  It would take considerably more than one of them to get Kakko alone.

They got rid of Staal since they have to re-sign DeAngelo, Strome, and Georgiev (among others).  They probably still need to clear money (the expected Lundqvist buyout would help) to keep what they have let alone add.

Was attempting to be sarcastic/understate the ***might*** ... I always qualify Hockey30 posts as they are not a reliable source, much like HockeyBuzz, but the underlying concepts can prove interesting ... and wasn't suggesting it was likely ... but this is the silly season for trade rumours ... I've seen in a few places the NTRs supposed interest in Domi, but (IMO) it makes no sense ... the Rangers have Zibanejad and Strome ... Domi a may or may not be an upgrade on Strome but not enough to warrant a significant deal ... interest in Danault might make sense if they were looking for a high-end defensive centre ... Kappo's name was mentioned because I looked at the NYRs roster of forwards and found nothing much of interest that would/could be the necessary upgrade and available (IMO)

1 minute ago, GHT120 said:

Was attempting to be sarcastic/understate the ***might*** ... I always qualify Hockey30 posts as they are not a reliable source, much like HockeyBuzz, but the underlying concepts can prove interesting ... and wasn't suggesting it was likely ... but this is the silly season for trade rumours ... I've seen in a few places the NTRs supposed interest in Domi, but (IMO) it makes no sense ... the Rangers have Zibanejad and Strome ... Domi a may or may not be an upgrade on Strome but not enough to warrant a significant deal ... interest in Danault might make sense if they were looking for a high-end defensive centre ... Kappo's name was mentioned because I looked at the NYRs roster of forwards and found nothing much of interest that would/could be the necessary upgrade and available (IMO)

I actually think Domi makes a lot of sense for the Rangers.  No one trusts Strome and he's a year away from UFA status.  He showed some chemistry with Panarin but he's hardly reliable.  Domi's output is a little erratic in itself but he's safer than Strome would be and controllable a little longer.  But I agree, there isn't a great trade fit for him.

21 hours ago, tomh009 said:

And a hypothetical trade of Kakko and a pick 

Agree and i got a McDavid to Habs trade in mind.

Why in heck would the rangers trade the kid? :bonk:

56 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

If someone gives an offer sheet to Domi do you take the picks or match 🤔

Take them draft-picks and run, hooo! hooo! (Steve Miller Band)

image.gif

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Habsfan89 said:

If someone gives an offer sheet to Domi do you take the picks or match 🤔

If the offer sheet is for an AAV of $2,181,456 to 4,363,095 (which has compensation of a 2nd round pick) then match it ... $4,363,096 - $6,544,640 makes it interesting as the compensation is a first and a 3rd ... can't see any team going lower or higher than those ranges in an offer sheet

I have to wonder if Domi signs for less than $5 million and have to wonder if another team will risk $5+ million for multiple years on a player coming off a down season and a poor tournament ... 

7 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

Pat Hickey says the habs might get Laine if they offer; 

To Winnipeg

Domi, Kulak, Juulsen/Fleury and a 1st 2020

To Montreal

Laine

If this where true, wouldn’t this be an absolute yes? 

It would definitely be a yes.  But we are talking about Pat Hickey.  He rarely has a good game article, or any insight in something he saw, so I don’t see him suddenly getting insight in what the Jets would take for Laine.

9 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

To Winnipeg

To Montreal

Laine

You would have to take out kulaks add Romanov 

Domi Romanov Juulsen or fleury plus a 1st would get it done.

I would do it if we sign Krug to a contract.

7 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

To Winnipeg

To Montreal

Laine

Agreed ... which is why it wouldn't happen ... unless it is problem for problem (e.g., Galchenyuk for Domi) rarely do big name trades happen without the fans of both sides feeling they gave up too much ... 

28 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

To Winnipeg

To Montreal

Laine

Of course it would be a yes, but it's a pipe dream.

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

It would definitely be a yes.  But we are talking about Pat Hickey.  He rarely has a good game article, or any insight in something he saw, so I don’t see him suddenly getting insight in what the Jets would take for Laine.

Yeah, I don't know where some of these beat writers come from. OK, yes, they go in the room and get quotes (which are very seldom of any value). Great. Beyond that, their work is mostly just a tissue of banalities with little insight, even though these guys have nothing to do all day except watch, think, and write about hockey. Then they eventually get canonized as a "legend" if they hang around long enough. Meanwhile, an internet poster like Commandant will provide more insight off the side of his desk than a Pat Hickey, even though Hickey is the one getting paid.

Anyway - the trade offer in question is basically a clutch bottom-half material (a C who has been bumped to the 4th line, a #4-5 defenceman, an average-quality prospect) plus a first, for an elite young goal scorer. If the Jets are moronic enough to take that back, then of course the Habs should grab Laine and run. What is ridiculous is for Hickey to get paid money to propose such nonsense.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, GHT120 said:

If the offer sheet is for an AAV of $2,181,456 to 4,363,095 (which has compensation of a 2nd round pick) then match it ... $4,363,096 - $6,544,640 makes it interesting as the compensation is a first and a 3rd ... can't see any team going lower or higher than those ranges in an offer sheet

I have to wonder if Domi signs for less than $5 million and have to wonder if another team will risk $5+ million for multiple years on a player coming off a down season and a poor tournament ... 

I think it's pretty safe to say that Domi's next deal starts with a 5.  That career year will still carry some weight in an arbitration hearing.  If the Habs gave him the current-day equivalent of the 'second bridge' that they gave Galchenyuk a few years ago, the price tag would be just over $5.3 million.  I think Domi has the stronger statistical history than Galchenyuk did at that time and I'm sure his agent is seeing it the same way.  He's going to cost more than people think which is why any expectations on spending the rest of the offseason need to be tempered.  They're almost capped out when you factor in projected deals for RFAs, filling out the roster, and leaving a buffer for in-season moves (and/or bonuses).

38 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

They're almost capped out when you factor in projected deals for RFAs, filling out the roster, and leaving a buffer for in-season moves (and/or bonuses).

it seems like crazy talk, but MB made the point at his end of season press conference that hothead Habs didn’t have as much cap Space as some thought 

18 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

To Winnipeg

To Montreal

Laine

There are many posters here that value Domi very highly - a first or second line centre and if Winnipeg values him that way then this is good value.

Kulak is a very strong second pairing Dman, Juulsen might be at least that and Fleury is certainly going to be that as well, add in a first pick and I think this is better value than most of you are giving it credit for.

Laine comes with a short contract, suspect work ethic and potential attitude issues - he will be due a serious raise soon as well.

I don't think this is too far off

20 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

To Winnipeg

To Montreal

Laine

That offer isnt worth discussing, Jets give him up without getting a top pairing d-man, high draft pick, or any of Romanov-KK or Suzuki coming back., 

When really it would cost something like; Petry, 1st and KK for Laine seems more like it.

Which is likely why MB isnt bothering and likely will kick tires on Hall and other free agents, hit on teams in cap trouble... or maybe another offer sheet?

27 minutes ago, DON said:

That offer isnt worth discussing, Jets give him up without getting a top pairing d-man, high draft pick, or any of Romanov-KK or Suzuki coming back., 

When really it would cost something like; Petry, 1st and KK for Laine seems more like it.

Which is likely why MB isnt bothering and likely will kick tires on Hall and other free agents, hit on teams in cap trouble... or maybe another offer sheet?

It seems like you agree with me then that Domi is not a 70+ point #1 centre then.

If the Jets believe that he is a #1 70+ point centre is that not considerable value?

Recently Bergevin was quoted as being "cool", not too interested in Laine. Do you think this is him trying not to  overplay his hand and appear not too interested or could there be something about Laine he doesn't like....besides all the goals he scores that we could certainly use. Do you think he'll make an offer? 

Thoughts? 

56 minutes ago, REV-G said:

Recently Bergevin was quoted as being "cool", not too interested in Laine. Do you think this is him trying not to  overplay his hand and appear not too interested or could there be something about Laine he doesn't like....besides all the goals he scores that we could certainly use. Do you think he'll make an offer? 

Thoughts? 

That could be very possible.  The truth is it would be irresponsible of Bergevin to not be kicking tires on Laine.  It’s also going to be tough for Winnipeg to get great value on Laine while Hall isn’t signed anywhere.  It’s also going to be tough due the the cap situation next few years as well as Laine will be looking for a raise after next season, which undoubtedly has teams worried.  I don’t expect a Laine trade until mid October at the earliest and probably to a team with some spare cap space.

54 minutes ago, REV-G said:

Thoughts? 

To get laine he has to give up Romanov +. For example  Domi/Romanov/1st round pick might be enough to get it done.  I just don't see him giving up on Romanov. So I don't see a trade between us and Winnipeg.