Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

54 minutes ago, REV-G said:

Recently Bergevin was quoted as being "cool", not too interested in Laine. Do you think this is him trying not to  overplay his hand and appear not too interested or could there be something about Laine he doesn't like....besides all the goals he scores that we could certainly use. Do you think he'll make an offer? 

Thoughts? 

I think he likely has interest in Laine but has made preliminary inquiries and was "cool" to the return that Cheveldayoff expects ... doesn't mean MB won't circle back.

2 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

To get laine he has to give up Romanov +. For example  Domi/Romanov/1st round pick might be enough to get it done.  I just don't see him giving up on Romanov. So I don't see a trade between us and Winnipeg.

All the "buzz" I've read is that the motive for trading Laine would be to fill one of their needs ... a proven 2C or a legit NHL top paring defenceman ... Habs aren't moving Petry or Weber (IMO) and I don't think that Domi is considered near a proven 2C ... Danault might meet their need as they know what they are getting but would obviously expect other significant assets to be included.

Domi might interest them but not as the principal piece in a Laine deal.

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

I think he likely has interest in Laine but has made preliminary inquiries and was "cool" to the return that Cheveldayoff expects ... doesn't mean MB won't circle back.

Just not a fit at all...Jets need (and likely demanding?) a top 4 d-man+, so really is a non-starter for Habs.

4 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

If the Jets believe that he is a #1 70+ point centre is that not considerable value?

Sure, but only as a 2ndary part in a deal for Laine.

Need a very good d-man (Petry would do it) to make it make any sense at all for Jets.

Then Habs are down to 1 solid top pairing d-man and 3-4 others that are #4 or 5 d-men..

1 hour ago, Habsfan89 said:

To get laine he has to give up Romanov +. For example  Domi/Romanov/1st round pick might be enough to get it done.  I just don't see him giving up on Romanov. So I don't see a trade between us and Winnipeg.

My thoughts exactly.

Unless the Peg is in the hands of idiots, we're not getting Laine for castoffs. The return is going to hurt - as it should, when you're getting back a 22-yearold with four 30+-goal seasons under his belt.

10 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

My thoughts exactly.

Unless the Peg is in the hands of idiots, we're not getting Laine for castoffs. The return is going to hurt - as it should, when you're getting back a 22-yearold with four 30+-goal seasons under his belt.

Yeah people in here trend to over vaule players in the organization just because they're habs fan's.

7 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

There are many posters here that value Domi very highly - a first or second line centre and if Winnipeg values him that way then this is good value.

Kulak is a very strong second pairing Dman, Juulsen might be at least that and Fleury is certainly going to be that as well, add in a first pick and I think this is better value than most of you are giving it credit for.

Laine comes with a short contract, suspect work ethic and potential attitude issues - he will be due a serious raise soon as well.

I don't think this is too far off

We are not getting Laine unless one of two offers are made.  The first would have to be an offer that addresses Winnipeg’s need on D and that would mean Weber (or petry - bit pretty sure Winnipeg would be on his no go list), would have to be involved.  I’d be open to going this route as long as we could sign Laine long term - I don’t see MB moving either of those two.

the second offer that the Jets may go for is one that at a minimum includes Domi, a prospect like Romanov and a first. Which I would not do - it hurt enough watching sergechev and McDonough win the cup with another team, without ever getting a chance to play in Montreal.  Kulak is not going to be part of a package that brings in Laine unless we are giving up a lot more than just Domi and a first.

30 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Chiarot is not a top-four defenceman?

He and Edmundston are $3.5m d-men and wont be dealt to Jets and neither can fill Petry's role if he is dealt for Laine.

There are other teams better suited to trade with Jets for Laine and Habs maybe should shoot for a Hoffman, Hall or the like.

10 minutes ago, DON said:

He and Edmundston are $3.5m d-men and wont be dealt to Jets and neither can fill Petry's role if he is dealt for Laine.

There are other teams better suited to trade with Jets for Laine and Habs maybe should shoot for a Hoffman, Hall or the like.

Don I wonder if the habs go after and land Krug would they then look at offering up Romanov to Jets in trade talks about laine?🤔

I think the habs should go after Dadonov would be a cheaper option for them with high impact.

But i think the best trade partner for the jets for laine could be Nashville or Minnesota. Minnesota has Dumba and Nashville has Ellis and both teams could use a scorer like laine. I can see Minnesota as a trade partner as Dumba's name has been out there , not sure if Nashville would be willing to part with Ellis. 

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

Chiarot is not a top-four defenceman?

The Jets let him walk rather than sign him to the deal that Montreal offered just one year ago. 

Do we think he now has the value to be the key piece in a deal for Laine?

4 minutes ago, Commandant said:

The Jets let him walk rather than sign him to the deal that Montreal offered just one year ago. 

Do we think he now has the value to be the key piece in a deal for Laine?

PERHAPS a supplemental piece ... but not a key piece

48 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

PERHAPS a supplemental piece ... but not a key piece

This is what I was thinking. A year ago the Jets were not desperate for D. Now they are.

The only way this deal happens is if the Jets really want Domi (or Danault, but I think that's less likely). I'd say 10-1 against it happening.

2 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

This is what I was thinking. A year ago the Jets were not desperate for D. Now they are.

The only way this deal happens is if the Jets really want Domi (or Danault, but I think that's less likely). I'd say 10-1 against it happening.

A year ago they should have been desperate for D.... Myers had already left... Trouba was already traded.  They were already losing two of their top 4.  The only change from when they let him go to now was Byfuglien going MIA.  They also seemed to get lucky in Pionk being much better than expected so while that doesn't replace Buff, it was a top 4 d they didn't expect. 

5 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

i can't see them moving Laine for a top 4 dman.  has to be someone who is top pairing.

28 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

... The only way this deal happens is if the Jets really want Domi (or Danault, but I think that's less likely). I'd say 10-1 against it happening.

Interesting ... I was thinking the opposite, only because Domi is more of a role of the dice ... OK if it turns out that 18/19 is his norm (28g, 72 pts) but not if 19/20 is his reality (20g, 50 pts) ... you can be pretty certain of what Danault will give you and defence doesn't tend to be as variable as offence ... of course it would also take significant other pieces ... and all-in-all I don't expect a deal is possible.

37 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Interesting ... I was thinking the opposite, only because Domi is more of a role of the dice ... OK if it turns out that 18/19 is his norm (28g, 72 pts) but not if 19/20 is his reality (20g, 50 pts) ... you can be pretty certain of what Danault will give you and defence doesn't tend to be as variable as offence ... of course it would also take significant other pieces ... and all-in-all I don't expect a deal is possible.

Only one of us is right ... wait, no, actually both of us may well be out to lunch on this! 🤣

Except that both of us are probably right that a Laine deal isn't happening, at least not for the Habs.

22 hours ago, Habsfan89 said:

Yeah people in here trend to over vaule players in the organization just because they're habs fan's.

38 minutes ago, Blazer said:

I believe that would apply to fans from all teams.

Equally, for every team, there is a segment of the fanbase that undervalue their players.

As a corollary, every team has fans who always overvalue or undervalue players on other teams ... its is what makes trade proposal discussions soooooooo interesting.

1 hour ago, Blazer said:

I believe that would apply to fans from all teams.

Yeah but you need to be realistic. Would you take Domi kulak and other 4th liners for your best player in laine. People here would have Bergevin head if he gave up laine for that little. Just saying Habs fans in here (particularly) tend to over vaule the bottom 6 players on this team, and think they can get star players in return for them. I remember when people thought we could get a 2nd or 3rd round pick for McCarron. 

2 hours ago, Habsfan89 said:

... I remember when people thought we could get a 2nd or 3rd round pick for McCarron. 

There was a time that was true ... maybe through his rookie season as a pro ... but it disappeared quickly thereafter.

In a way you can look at what it took for Vegas to get Pacioretty from us: Suzuki, Tatar, and a second. Pacioretty however is a much older player, so the ask will naturally be even higher.

Tatar is the Domi type decent roster player

Suzuki = Romanov

and then we have the pick

I'd argue Suzuki/Romanov have similar level of value (at the time of the trade). Domi has perhaps a little more value than Tatar. 

However, Laine has significantly more value than Patch. I.e., we need to include atleast a first instead of a second, and perhaps even a little more besides.

How would people feel about

Domi, Norlinder, 2020 16th OA + lotto protected 2021 first rnd pick

for

Laine and a 2020 3rd

I have a feeling some here may actually like Norlinder as much as Romanov, so its likely too steep a price. It might even be too steep for me, but I'm just curious about your opinions