Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

8 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

Are you kidding me.... He was never worth that. 

Maybe he never was. But he scored 68 points in 56 games in his final OHL season which is respectable. That would have been the right time to trade him, in retrospect.

1 minute ago, tomh009 said:

Maybe he never was. But he scored 68 points in 56 games in his final OHL season which is respectable. That would have been the right time to trade him, in retrospect.

Thats the OHL not NHL. Doesn't make him worth a 2nd round pick. He was never a blue chip prospect.

13 minutes ago, Meller93 said:

No? Not a fan of Norlinder?

His value has gone up a bit since being drafted but remember that he played at the second-tier level (Allsvenskan) last season.  He needs to do well in the SHL before his trade value really gets that boost.

4 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

Thats the OHL not NHL. Doesn't make him worth a 2nd round pick. He was never a blue chip prospect.

Well, at the time of draft many people thought he was a late-first/early-second round pick. Turned out not as well as expected.

My point was that we should have traded him earlier, and got something more than Dauphin in return.

1 minute ago, dlbalr said:

His value has gone up a bit since being drafted but remember that he played at the second-tier level (Allsvenskan) last season.  He needs to do well in the SHL before his trade value really gets that boost.

Ah, understandable. I have high hopes for him this season and perhaps value him higher than most

3 minutes ago, DON said:

Has 0 NHL games under his belt, so not yet, no.

I mean, Lafreniere also has no NHL games under his belt, so I don't think thats neccessary for value

Edit: Neither did Suzuki when we acquired him, or Romanov right now

3 minutes ago, Meller93 said:

I mean, Lafreniere also has no NHL games under his belt, so I don't think thats neccessary for value

Edit: Neither did Suzuki when we acquired him, or Romanov right now

I also question the lofty expectation for Romanov.

19 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

As a 4th year junior player (including his 2 years at the US NTDP)... with his size and ability to dominate a league of 16-20 year olds.... 68 in 56 game was never great, and I said it at the time. 

10 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Well, at the time of draft many people thought he was a late-first/early-second round pick. Turned out not as well as expected.

My point was that we should have traded him earlier, and got something more than Dauphin in return.

We never should have drafted him in the first round. 

6 minutes ago, Commandant said:

We never should have drafted him in the first round. 

Quite. But once THAT mistake had been made, they should have at least minimized the damage. Oh well. In the end it was a 25th-OA pick, not where you typically find elite players.

3 hours ago, Habsfan89 said:

Yeah but you need to be realistic. Would you take Domi kulak and other 4th liners for your best player in laine. People here would have Bergevin head if he gave up laine for that little. Just saying Habs fans in here (particularly) tend to over vaule the bottom 6 players on this team, and think they can get star players in return for them. I remember when people thought we could get a 2nd or 3rd round pick for McCarron. 

I would never make that deal if I was Winnipeg, but Laine isn’t there best player. That’s Scheifle.

1 hour ago, Meller93 said:

In a way you can look at what it took for Vegas to get Pacioretty from us: Suzuki, Tatar, and a second. Pacioretty however is a much older player, so the ask will naturally be even higher.

Tatar is the Domi type decent roster player

Suzuki = Romanov

and then we have the pick

I'd argue Suzuki/Romanov have similar level of value (at the time of the trade). Domi has perhaps a little more value than Tatar. 

However, Laine has significantly more value than Patch. I.e., we need to include atleast a first instead of a second, and perhaps even a little more besides.

How would people feel about

Domi, Norlinder, 2020 16th OA + lotto protected 2021 first rnd pick

for

Laine and a 2020 3rd

I have a feeling some here may actually like Norlinder as much as Romanov, so its likely too steep a price. It might even be too steep for me, but I'm just curious about your opinions

Two first rounders and Norlinder. No way. I’d think about it, without Norlinder and IF we could get him signed to an extension for a reasonable cap hit.

39 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

...or never drafted the bum.

Just now, Habsfan89 said:

That pick is when our prospect pool went down hill. They went for size and grit over skill and speed.  Thinking old school hockey could still win you games. 

back to the 1990s ... Stevenson over Tkachuk and Brodeur ... Bilodeau over Glen Murray, Martin Rucinsky, Ray Whitney, etc, ... David Wilkie ... Brad Brown ... Terry Ryan over Iginla and Giguerre ... Matt Higgins over Marco Sturm, Daniel Briere ... Jason Ward over Marion Hossa ... Eric Chouinard over Robyn Regher and Simon Gagne ... 

I think it will be interesting to see what happens with Josh Anderson in Columbus. He has proven difficult to sign in the past, and he took a pretty big step back this year before getting hurt. Do they believe in him enough to sign him to a deal like Wennberg (which has been a huge misfire) or could they decide to just move on? If so and if Domi really is on the market, then that could be an interesting match. Montreal needs a winger with that kind of potential and Columbus has a big, gaping hole at center on the 2nd line.

4 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

back to the 1990s ... Stevenson over Tkachuk and Brodeur ... Bilodeau over Glen Murray, Martin Rucinsky, Ray Whitney, etc, ... David Wilkie ... Brad Brown ... Terry Ryan over Iginla and Giguerre ... Matt Higgins over Marco Sturm, Daniel Briere ... Jason Ward over Marion Hossa ... Eric Chouinard over Robyn Regher and Simon Gagne ... 

All teams have a list of "ones that got away" when it comes to drafting.

That said, the late 1990s were an especially abysmal time for the Habs' scouting department. What do you expect when that utter clown Reggie Houle is running the show.

22 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Two first rounders and Norlinder. No way. I’d think about it, without Norlinder and IF we could get him signed to an extension for a reasonable cap hit.

This is why proposals are interesting lol, Dons says No way Jets do it, but you say we’d have to remove Norlinder for you to think about it!

I personally thought it was a pretty hefty but reasonable offer for an elite talent.

i agree I’d want an extension if I made a trade that big.

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

in the 90’s and early 2000’s, the habs were particularly bad in their European and Russian scouting.  I think, Koivu and Markov were the only really good picks, and the younger Bure wasn’t a bad puck, but they missed a lot of elite players that could have been had.  It seemed they were always drafting lousy players with size - that continues with Gainey and MB  in picks like Tinordi and McCarron.

2 hours ago, Meller93 said:

This is why proposals are interesting lol, Dons says No way Jets do it, but you say we’d have to remove Norlinder for you to think about it!

I personally thought it was a pretty hefty but reasonable offer for an elite talent.

i agree I’d want an extension if I made a trade that big.

Oh, I don’t think the Jets would do it either.  I just don’t want to give up any more solid D prospects, considering the age of our two best dmen.  I don’t think 2 first picks would be enough for Winnipeg, but I wouldn’t trade two first picks and one our two best D prospects for a winger along with Domi.

I’ve said it in previous posts and I’ll say it again, I’d move Weber or Petry for Laine - preferably Weber.  I just don’t think we can be a serious contender for at least 2 to 3 years - and that’s if Caufield, Romanov and Norlinder pan out and Suzuki and KK take the next steps and become dominant centres.  I don’t think saying we hit a price anything can happen if we get into the playoffs, because Roy was able to lead us to cups.  Price doesn’t and hasn’t had the same team in front of him that Roy had.  The rise price strategy hasn’t worked for years we made the playoffs the past 8 or 9 years and I don’t see it working when he’s getting older.  We lost a couple of games where price pretty much stood on head, but we got shutout.

What’s the cap situation like in Toronto after the Kapanen deal ?

Could  Domi + 16th for Nylander + 44th be a starting point for somerhing ?

37 minutes ago, JoeLassister said:

What’s the cap situation like in Toronto after the Kapanen deal ?

Could  Domi + 16th for Nylander + 44th be a starting point for somerhing ?

About $5M in cap room and they need to re-sign Dermott and Mikheyev plus another cheap forward or two.  They also will want to add a defenceman or two.  They keep saying they don't want to move one of their top-four forwards so I think they'll focus on moving someone like Kerfoot or Johnsson if they want to free up more cap room.