Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

1 hour ago, JoeLassister said:

What’s the cap situation like in Toronto after the Kapanen deal ?

Could  Domi + 16th for Nylander + 44th be a starting point for something ?

Extrapolating from what dblair posted, moving Nylander will be a last resort ... and IF they move Nylander I doubt it will be for a forward and a first rounder ... they need help on the blueline (Top 3 quality) now if they don't want another "wash, rinse, repeat" playoff performance.

2 hours ago, JoeLassister said:

What’s the cap situation like in Toronto after the Kapanen deal ?

Could  Domi + 16th for Nylander + 44th be a starting point for somerhing ?

You're trading one problem for the same problem. They both want to play center not wing.

I'm seeing Detroit fans chattering about trading Mantha because he'll be UFA before the Wings can get serious about contending. Whether the team has the same thoughts is a whole different question though.

29 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

I'm seeing Detroit fans chattering about trading Mantha because he'll be UFA before the Wings can get serious about contending. Whether the team has the same thoughts is a whole different question though.

He is an interesting target ... "local" kid ... BIG ... good skater ... career 26g/82 games; 30/82 the last two seasons ... only concern is that he has missed 67 games over the last 4 seasons ... maybe some home cooking would help

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

33 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

He is an interesting target ... "local" kid ... BIG ... good skater ... career 26g/82 games; 30/82 the last two seasons ... only concern is that he has missed 67 games over the last 4 seasons ... maybe some home cooking would help

I have posted a couple of time trade proposals for Mantha, I friend of mine who is a high school teacher and knew him from when he was a kid told me a couple of years ago to keep an eye on him.

But his has a history of injuries , I think that at least one of them was from a fight (broken finger or hand). 

I would swap Juulsen for Mantha and Ikonen (late 2nd rounder in 2017) or the CH's late 2nd (#57) in 2020

Juulsen (26th in 2015) and Mantha (#20 in 2013) are both 1st rounders but Juulsen is a bit younger. Ikonen's development has been slowed by injuries but he has upside potential.

47 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I have posted a couple of time trade proposals for Mantha, I friend of mine who is a high school teacher and knew him from when he was a kid told me a couple of years ago to keep an eye on him.

But his has a history of injuries , I think that at least one of them was from a fight (broken finger or hand). 

I would swap Juulsen for Mantha and Ikonen (late 2nd rounder in 2017) or the CH's late 2nd (#57) in 2020

Juulsen (26th in 2015) and Mantha (#20 in 2013) are both 1st rounders but Juulsen is a bit younger. Ikonen's development has been slowed by injuries but he has upside potential.

Juulsen and Ikonen for Mantha is nowhere close to fair value.  Detroit would hang up the phone and block your phone number for even suggesting it. 

Two players whose NHL careers are in jeopardy due to injury for a proven 30 goals scorer?  Forget about draft position, it means nothing at this point. 

49 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

We’re dealing with Yzerman, not Milbury.  No way Detroit would even consider this. It doesn’t matter what round Juulsen amd Mantha were drafted in, Juulsen’s accomplished squat up to now, while Mantha has proved he can score. Adding Ikonen - another player who’s been injured or a 2nd rounder isn’t going to cut it either.

This is like Detroit offering us Fabri  and a 2nd for Suzuki, because they are both first rounders - except that Fabri has actually accomplished and shown he can be an NHL’er unlike Juulsen or Ikonen.

33 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Juulsen and Ikonen for Mantha is nowhere close to fair value.  Detroit would hang up the phone and block your phone number for even suggesting it. 

Two players whose NHL careers are in jeopardy due to injury for a proven 30 goals scorer?  Forget about draft position, it means nothing at this point. 

18 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

We’re dealing with Yzerman, not Milbury.  No way Detroit would even consider this. It doesn’t matter what round Juulsen amd Mantha were drafted in, Juulsen’s accomplished squat up to now, while Mantha has proved he can score. Adding Ikonen - another player who’s been injured or a 2nd rounder isn’t going to cut it either.

This is like Detroit offering us Fabri  and a 2nd for Suzuki, because they are both first rounders - except that Fabri has actually accomplished and shown he can be an NHL’er unlike Juulsen or Ikonen.

So what is fair value for Mantha?

I had thought about proposing Domi for Mantha straight up, but thought of Mantha's injury history. Also, I think some forum members would say that is too high to pay for the Habs.

I also thought about offer sheet'ing for Mantha but Detroit has enough cap space. Detroti also has a bunch of picks this season and next and some good prospects so the Habs would not pry Mantha away by sending oneof our prospects... I think.

12 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

So what is fair value for Mantha?

I had thought about proposing Domi for Mantha straight up, but thought of Mantha's injury history. Also, I think some forum members would say that is too high to pay for the Habs.

I also thought about offer sheet'ing for Mantha but Detroit has enough cap space. Detroti also has a bunch of picks this season and next and some good prospects so the Habs would not pry Mantha away by sending oneof our prospects... I think.

Domi for Mantha is not so far fetched ... both 2013 draftees ... for better or for worse Domi went straight into the NHL while Mantha got 70 AHL games mixed in to his first two pro seasons) ... Mantha has proven to be a significantly better goal scorer (26.5 vs 17.7 goals per 82 games) ... although Domi is the better set-up guy (37.2 vs 28 assists per 82 games) ... expect fans on both sides can argue for their team needing to get more ... as a big winger Mantha may fit Habs' needs better, although Domi is more durable (played every game the last 3 seasons, while Mantha missed 45 games)

18 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Domi, too, can be a UFA in two years so that doesn't really work for the Wings. Think more along the lines of Mete, Poehling, Ylonen -- and/or draft picks.

I know it's a crazy idea given how no one has thought of it yet but if I'm Detroit, I'd just sign Mantha long-term and be done with it.  I don't understand why people think they're willing to move him.  He's 25 and in a couple of years from now when they have a shot at being good again, he'll still be in his prime, not over the hill.

44 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I know it's a crazy idea given how no one has thought of it yet but if I'm Detroit, I'd just sign Mantha long-term and be done with it.  I don't understand why people think they're willing to move him.  He's 25 and in a couple of years from now when they have a shot at being good again, he'll still be in his prime, not over the hill.

same goes for most of the scoring physical RWs we think the Habs would want:

- under 30

- on RFA deal (to be cheap, which puts him at around mid-20’s years old)

- playing over 12min a game (at least third liner by TOI)

- scoring at least 15g a year with potential for more

- playing like Gallagher, but having the size and weight of Armia

Mantha comes close to that.

what would it take to pry him away from Detroit?

Edited by alfredoh2009

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

That would take all the fun out of it ... this discussion seems to have started by tomh009 reading some Wings fans discussing trading Mantha ... I have read occasional stories about Yzerman not being enamoured of Mantha, as I have equally read stories of Yzerman wanting to extend him ... none of us knows who is available and who isn't ... some (like you) undoubtedly have better connections and but even Bob McKenzie doesn't know about everybody on the block.

I have no idea what MB is up to but with the draft happening tomorrow I think we will see some player movement soon! We may go into this draft with no first round picks or perhaps we will have 2 (Domi trade).

I expect that MB has some potential deals on the table but we are waiting for the first move to get an idea of value under the present circumstances. There certainly seems to be some big fish available and some teams are in cap trouble like Tampa. Our problem is that while we have lots of picks to deal and several prospects available, we don't have any A list prospects that we could deal (OMG MB better not deal Romanov).

If the trade route fails (maybe every potential trade partner is demanding Romanov) then perhaps we can throw a large offer at Hall on a one or two year deal. Friedman has reported that Hall is willing to take a short term deal so maybe this is plan B. 2 years of Hall at a large cap hit until Caufield is ready? IDK how much we would need to offer though, perhaps 9.5 million?

Plan C is likely Kovalchuk and while I was excited for him to be here last season and wanted him signed for the upcoming season, I no longer think he can help us and I hope it doesn't come to this!

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I have no idea what MB is up to but with the draft happening tomorrow I think we will see some player movement soon! We may go into this draft with no first round picks or perhaps we will have 2 (Domi trade).

I expect that MB has some potential deals on the table but we are waiting for the first move to get an idea of value under the present circumstances. There certainly seems to be some big fish available and some teams are in cap trouble like Tampa. Our problem is that while we have lots of picks to deal and several prospects available, we don't have any A list prospects that we could deal (OMG MB better not deal Romanov).

If the trade route fails (maybe every potential trade partner is demanding Romanov) then perhaps we can throw a large offer at Hall on a one or two year deal. Friedman has reported that Hall is willing to take a short term deal so maybe this is plan B. 2 years of Hall at a large cap hit until Caufield is ready? IDK how much we would need to offer though, perhaps 9.5 million?

Plan C is likely Kovalchuk and while I was excited for him to be here last season and wanted him signed for the upcoming season, I no longer think he can help us and I hope it doesn't come to this!

I do get the sense that once a trade happens the dominoes will start to

fall.  What’s this about Domi for a first?  Is there a trade in the works I missed?

Reports are saying Hall is willing to sign short term to win now.  That would rule the habs out, no?  I don’t think with what has been done so far, the addition of Hall would turn the habs into contenders.  I also don’t believe the cap spec is available to sign what is needed to do so either.

13 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

What’s this about Domi for a first?  Is there a trade in the works I missed?

Adding more prospects i think is lower priority.

Trading a Domi package for a top six NHL winger i think is more likely.

Adding a 2nd 1st pick sounds good to me though.

The only time Timmins had 2 1sts (2007) he did awesome.

Before that was 2001 and they took Komisarik and Perezogin, so not quite as well.

2 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Plan D is offer sheet?

1 hour ago, TurdBurglar said:

I do get the sense that once a trade happens the dominoes will start to

fall.  What’s this about Domi for a first?  Is there a trade in the works I missed?

Reports are saying Hall is willing to sign short term to win now.  That would rule the habs out, no?  I don’t think with what has been done so far, the addition of Hall would turn the habs into contenders.  I also don’t believe the cap spec is available to sign what is needed to do so either.

No I would take hall on a short term deal. We have a 2 year window to win now with this group of guys.  Something worries me on giving hall a 7mil dollar deal of 7 years. He tends to disappear from time to time on the ice.

Plus don't forget we got Danault, Gallagher, Suzuki, Kotkaniemi all going to need new contracts.

1 hour ago, TurdBurglar said:

... Reports are saying Hall is willing to sign short term to win now.  That would rule the habs out, no?  I don’t think with what has been done so far, the addition of Hall would turn the habs into contenders ...

33 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

No I would take hall on a short term deal. We have a 2 year window to win now with this group of guys ...

I think TurdBurglar's point is that from Hall's perspective, if he is going to go short-term then a team already closer to being a legit Cup contender makes more sense for him

3 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Plan D is offer sheet?

I don't think the Habs have enough cap space to make a serious offer sheet unless they move salary out.  If they do an offer sheet is has to be a worthwhile offer so the other team doesn't match.  They have 19 of 23 roster spots filled and about $10.2M.  So not so sure that it's an option for now.  We'll see what moves are made before free agency begins.

10 minutes ago, John B said:

I don't think the Habs have enough cap space to make a serious offer sheet unless they move salary out.  If they do an offer sheet is has to be a worthwhile offer so the other team doesn't match.  They have 19 of 23 roster spots filled and about $10.2M.  So not so sure that it's an option for now.  We'll see what moves are made before free agency begins.

Domi (if he stays), Mete and Juulsen need contracts. Mete and Juulsen will not be expensive.

There are some potentially good offer sheet targets in the sub-$5M range, substantially below what Hall would cost.

This is a trade proposal thread, so how about one out of nowhere without any basis, I’m not even sure it’s it would be legal.

Habs find out what team Pietrangelo or Hall wants to play for, sign one for 2-3 years at $8-$8.5mil and trade them to that team while retaining salary?  

For instance, sign Pietrangelo 2 years at $8mil, trade him to Winnipeg for Laine, while retaining $1.25mil of his salary to make the salaries even.  Winnipeg has some cap space, but players to sign.

I do see all types of issues with contract length for Pietrangelo, but in theory is that even legal under the CBA?