Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Absent the frozen cap the salary isn't much of an issue ... so:

Don't know about Pittsburgh (they are only $1.3M under the cap and MB wouldn't want to take salary back ... unless it was Crosby in a much larger trade) and I believe that all teams are already over the floor ... but I could see him being a fit in Columbus with Torts ... maybe Nashville

♩ ♫ ♭ ♩ ♭ Crosby ♩ ♫ ♭ ♫ Crosby ♩ ♫ ♭ ♭ Crosby ♩ ♫ ♭

hamillgargle.gif

Edited by alfredoh2009
animated GIF

3 minutes ago, Commandant said:

The frozen cap definitely makes Byron near impossible to trade without giving up something for another team to take him.

I first thought of proposing Josh Brook and Byron for Lafferty, but that seemed too much for Lafferty.

Mete is an upgrade for Pittsburgh over Juuso Riikola, Chad Ruhwedel, and Kevin Czuczman. I even think that Mete is better than Cody Ceci.

3 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I first thought of proposing Josh Brook and Byron for Lafferty, but that seemed too much for Lafferty.

Mete is an upgrade for Pittsburgh over Juuso Riikola, Chad Ruhwedel, and Kevin Czuczman. I even think that Mete is better than Cody Ceci.

Considering that would put Pittsburgh over the cap, it would cost a whole lot more than Brook to get them to take Byron on.  And Brook's stock isn't particularly high right now.  If you want to clear out a $3.4M contract for three years that's an overpayment, it's going to cost a lot to move, an asset that really stings.  Brook's not that asset.

I would suspect that the Penguins have Ceci and Riikola ahead of Mete on their hypothetical depth chart.  He'd be ahead of Ruhwedel and Czuczman but that's still only 7th on their depth chart. 

PLDubois wants out of Colombus.

What could be a fair return ? Colombus would be looking for a young center, KK, and since Dubois is more proven you have to add lets say Arnia, wich would not hurt because of RW depth. You were Kekalainen, would you do it ?

10 minutes ago, Easy Ryder said:

What could be a fair return ? Colombus would be looking for a young center, KK, and since Dubois is more proven you have to add lets say Arnia, wich would not hurt because of RW depth. You were Kekalainen, would you do it ?

I wouldn't do that if I was Columbus.  There needs to be another big piece heading their way for them to consider a package headlined by Kotkaniemi who hasn't shown he's a top-six player yet let alone a potential top-line centre.  Armia being one year from free agency doesn't move the needle much.

3 hours ago, Easy Ryder said:

3 hours ago, dlbalr said:

I wouldn't do that if I was Columbus.  There needs to be another big piece heading their way for them to consider a package headlined by Kotkaniemi who hasn't shown he's a top-six player yet let alone a potential top-line centre.  Armia being one year from free agency doesn't move the needle much.

An issue for CBJ trading Dubois is that whoever comes to Columbus has to play for Torts ... I've read talk of Dubois for Laine based trade, but can't see Laine playing in Torts system ... not certain KK is (as yet) a great fit for Torts ... but Danault would be (IMO) ... of course that means giving up more ... only other forwards that I see as "Torts players" (excluding the players acquired since the tournament would be Byron, Armia or Lehkonen ... might be a deal to build around that with some futures included. 

Also, the Habs making a trade for Dubois entered around KK (or Danault or Suzuki) for Dubois only delays the cap issues by a year as Dubois will need an extension by July 1, 2022 ... of course it would give MB a bit more leeway for summer 2021

9 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

An issue for CBJ trading Dubois is that whoever comes to Columbus has to play for Torts ... I've read talk of Dubois for Laine based trade, but can't see Laine playing in Torts system ... not certain KK is (as yet) a great fit for Torts ... but Danault would be (IMO) ... of course that means giving up more ... only other forwards that I see as "Torts players" (excluding the players acquired since the tournament would be Byron, Armia or Lehkonen ... might be a deal to build around that with some futures included.

That was the first thought I had as well but they need a centre back if they're going to move Dubois.  They can't go into next season with Domi as their only proven top-six centre.  That's going to be the challenge for Columbus - top centres rarely get traded and it's even rarer that one gets traded for another one.  Unless they can get one, there's no point in moving Dubois, even if he isn't thrilled with his situation.

Would Kekalainen even entertain the option of Danault/Dubois swap? Even assuming that this were done with Danault signed to a long-term contract?

As it is, even if Dubois grumbles, he will play. He has a contract, and it's in his personal interest to play well, it will reflect on his next contract.

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

Would Kekalainen even entertain the option of Danault/Dubois swap? Even assuming that this were done with Danault signed to a long-term contract?

As it is, even if Dubois grumbles, he will play. He has a contract, and it's in his personal interest to play well, it will reflect on his next contract.

It would require at couple of significant "pluses" to even get his attention

I think a Dubois trade would be kinda big trade, maybe even a few teams involved.

Columbus would want a center and a dman I think espacially if the is centered (ha! centered!) around Danault, imho 

PLD's desire for a trade seems to be confirmed

"I'm going to be the best player I can be, the best teammate I can be, the best person I can be," Dubois said when asked if anything resulting from the contract negotiations will be a distraction going forward. "I don't want it to be a distraction, so I think that's the only way. I think if I go out there and I work hard in practice and have a good attitude, work hard in games, play well, I think it's not a distraction."  

By Torts as well

20 minutes ago, Fanpuck33 said:

Well this sucks. Jarmo has been great at bringing in talent, but at what point do you have to look at the fact that he seems to alienate so many players?

Unless it was a bad-faith RFA negotiation (which I did not think it was), I wouldn't expect a player to have all that much interaction with the GM, a conflict with the coach would seem much more likely.

31 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Unless it was a bad-faith RFA negotiation (which I did not think it was), I wouldn't expect a player to have all that much interaction with the GM, a conflict with the coach would seem much more likely.

A player doesn't have to have direct contact with the GM if he is fully informed on how it is going between GM and agent ... over the "summer"  reports seemed to indicate not necessarily bad faith but perhaps better called intransigent negotiations, with Jarmo not moving the bar or seeming open to move the bar ... NOT to ever exclude the possibility of issues with Torts, who is a tough, demanding and intense coach.

One hypothesis suggested by CBJ fans is that he's not happy about the arrival of Domi, because now he's no longer a lock for 1C. After Domi's arrival (coincidence?), Dubois told the team he was no longer willing to consider a bridge or a long-term deal.

But Dubois is not talking either way.

18 hours ago, tomh009 said:

One hypothesis suggested by CBJ fans is that he's not happy about the arrival of Domi, because now he's no longer a lock for 1C. After Domi's arrival (coincidence?), Dubois told the team he was no longer willing to consider a bridge or a long-term deal.

That’s interesting if it’s true.  I would take PLD as 1C almost any day over Domi.  Domi was demoted down the lineup with a rookie, a sophomore who spent the season in the AHL and let’s face it, Danault is a good 2nd line center.

20 hours ago, tomh009 said:

If that is the case, then I don't think he is suited to be the #1 center I thought he was.  A player with his talent can't be that insecure about having a little competition over ice time. Sure, Crosby and Malkin are an extreme example of the benefits of having two centers who are not negatively impacted by having a 1a/1b situation, but he's gotta realize that depth just opens doors and creates matchups he wouldn't necessarily get otherwise.

2 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

That’s interesting if it’s true.  I would take PLD as 1C almost any day over Domi.  Domi was demoted down the lineup with a rookie, a sophomore who spent the season in the AHL and let’s face it, Danault is a good 2nd line center.

Good post - I was going to say the same thing. Domi is not a quality #1C on a strong team. I see him more as an 'expansion team' type, who can get minutes and put up points on a team that is in no position to be fussy about things such as faceoff % and defensive-zone play. Since PLD is generally regarded as having bona-fide #1C potential, this is an odd concern for him to be expressing. Then again Columbus seems to have a bit of a history of bleeding players, so maybe he is just the latest to want out...

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Domi is not a quality #1C on a strong team. I see him more as an 'expansion team' type, who can get minutes and put up points on a team that is in no position to be fussy about things such as faceoff % and defensive-zone play. Since PLD is generally regarded as having bona-fide #1C potential, this is an odd concern for him to be expressing. Then again Columbus seems to have a bit of a history of bleeding players, so maybe he is just the latest to want out...

It could be the Tortorella Treatment (TM) combined with Domi's arrival making him feel insecure.

6 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

Agree. What chance was there ever for us to trade Domi for PLD? Zilch.  That’s about the chance Domi would have of taking over the #1 centre position from PLD.  More likely explanation is that it’s either Torts, or he doesn’t really find it too appealing living in Columbus any longer than he has to.

2 hours ago, tomh009 said:

It could be the Tortorella Treatment (TM) combined with Domi's arrival making him feel insecure.

I can see the Tortorella Treatment being a factor.  You would thing, if anything, adding a young guy with some scoring punch would make PLD stay instead of want out.  Especially since Domi was primarily a winger before Montreal.

A new wrinkle ...

Would being the Francophone star in montreal be a big enough stage?

Also, guess it rules out Winnipeg.

20 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Would being the Francophone star in montreal be a big enough stage?

It really doesn't get any bigger than that.

But, I think the odds of such a deal are still very, very slim.