Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

11 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

It really doesn't get any bigger than that.

Well...NYC is bigger than that, California is big stage, or Dallas, Vegas, Toronto, Boston etc...and i would guess that he is not looking to go back to Quebec.

31 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

California is a big stage. But not for hockey.

Anyway, none of us know what's really driving him or what his priorities are. Although admittedly it's fun to speculate. 🤪

If Habs had of won a cup during Dubois's lifetime, i might see it differently.

Who was the last quebec player like Dubois to come to Habs?

It would be awesome if they could somehow add him though...but would be very costly.

46 minutes ago, DON said:

If Habs had of won a cup during Dubois's lifetime, i might see it differently.

Who was the last quebec player like Dubois to come to Habs?

It would be awesome if they could somehow add him though...but would be very costly.

Not sure what you mean by like Dubois but I’ll go with washed up Briere, or our current second line left winger.

PLD could mean markets like Rangers or Boston. Then again maybe he is talking about Canada. 

I do not believe MB is interested in changes right now nor do I think we have the trade tools/cap space to make this work. I suppose perhaps something around Danault is possible but I don’t see it

Yeah, I don't think Bergevin is looking to make more trades right now. On the other hand, if Kekalainen called him up and said "Listen, I need a solid two-way centre, if you give me Danault and blah blah, we could send Dubois your way", I'm quite sure he wouldn't hang up the phone.

Unlikely but I can dream, can't I? 😁

I would trade KK for PLD, it opens the current Habs window a bit more for a cup run and CBJ would be getting a decent young center in return 

I do not know what other players would need to be added from both teams to make it work but I think it is a good start 

I’m not even sure that PLD is an upgrade on Danault TBH. 

Point totals are roughly the same and Danault gets little PP time. Of course PLD is younger and still developing his game but Danault brings a hell of a lot besides points. 

A one for one swap might work but Danault is ufa so Columbus won’t do that

9 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Not sure what you mean by like Dubois but I’ll go with washed up Briere, or our current second line left winger.

6'3 22yr old, 61pt season under belt and i did completely draw a blank on Drouin for some reason.

PLD would look great in a Habs sweater.. but the cost isn’t going to be Danault.

You’re looking at KK plus Caufield or Romanov. Maybe toss in Byron and/or Mete to help with the cap.

13 hours ago, DON said:

Well...NYC is bigger than that, California is big stage, or Dallas, Vegas, Toronto, Boston etc...and i would guess that he is not looking to go back to Quebec.

If the issue is making money on endorsements... there is no bigger stage than being a francophone number 1 centre in Montreal.  The endorsement money in that would be greater than NYC, Dallas, Vegas, Toronto (where Matthews and Tavares and Marner already take all that money), Boston, Vegas, Dallas, California etc.... 

No bigger stage to make money on endorsements for him than Montreal. 

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

No bigger stage to make money on endorsements for him than Montreal. 

OK, his and most NHLers "preferred" destination would not be Montreal.

39 minutes ago, DON said:

OK, his and most NHLers "preferred" destination would not be Montreal.

Depends on what his goal is.  

Some players (see Tavares) want to play for their hometown team and boyhood club.  Some avoid it due to the media pressure.  It all depends on the person, and we don't know what Dubois feelings on it are.  The endorsements are also a big deal, could be worth 5-10 million per year on top of his contract.  Depending on how he performs and is loved in the community. 

That said, I don't see us trading for him so its all moot. 

26 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Depends on what his goal is.  

Some players (see Tavares) want to play for their hometown team and boyhood club.  Some avoid it due to the media pressure.  It all depends on the person, and we don't know what Dubois feelings on it are.  The endorsements are also a big deal, could be worth 5-10 million per year on top of his contract.  Depending on how he performs and is loved in the community.

Exactly.

37 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I think Laine for PLD is what is going to happen. 

I pity Laine if he has to play for Torts ... they just don't seem like a "good fit" ... 

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

I pity Laine if he has to play for Torts ... they just don't seem like a "good fit" ... 

LOL I certainly agree. I just don’t see a whole lot of options in this cap climate. 

Jackets and Jets want to get value and I don’t think anyone is giving up big prospects so this something. 

Who knows though if MB wants him bad then.  ••••

I think they will try to trade him before the trade deadline. Otherwise he'll have only a year (or less) left on his contract.

But I will suggest that, given the difficult cap situation and cash flow issues, it'll be a deal none of us were expecting, rather than one of the usual suspects. :) 

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

47 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

LOL I certainly agree. I just don’t see a whole lot of options in this cap climate. 

Jackets and Jets want to get value and I don’t think anyone is giving up big prospects so this something. 
Who knows though if MB wants him bad then.  ••••

Not certain Kekalainen would want Laine since he doesn't seem a good fit, unless Jarmo is re-tooling the team ... perhaps for a post-Torts era as John's last extension runs through this season ... this is Torts 6th season with CBJ and he, like all coaches, has an expiration date.

I'd like to read a contemporary pro scouting report on PLD. Is he a legit top-3 C? Top-6 C? Yes, he has a 61-point season as a young player, but he regressed last season. The thing is, it's not every day a French Canadian top-liner comes on the market...and even though the Habs suddenly have some depth at C, I'm not sure I'd look askance at a 60+-point C with size. If PLD is what his rep has made him out to be, the Canadiens would be stupid not to look very seriously at acquiring him.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I'd like to read a contemporary pro scouting report on PLD. Is he a legit top-3 C? Top-6 C? Yes, he has a 61-point season as a young player, but he regressed last season. The thing is, it's not every day a French Canadian top-liner comes on the market...and even though the Habs suddenly have some depth at C, I'm not sure I'd look askance at a 60+-point C with size. If PLD is what his rep has made him out to be, the Canadiens would be stupid not to look very seriously at acquiring him.

He's well on his way to being what we hope KK will be IMO.

2 hours ago, tomh009 said:

I think they will try to trade him before the trade deadline. Otherwise he'll have only a year (or less) left on his contract.

But I will suggest that, given the difficult cap situation and cash flow issues, it'll be a deal none of us were expecting, rather than one of the usual suspects. :) 

He will be RFA at the expiry of the contract. 

31 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Winnipeg doesn't feel like the Market that PLD wants. 

That is certainly true.  I’m not sure if they can change his mind in the time before ufa. 

If he does want to come here I would be okay with KK going the other way because I agree with you that they are the same. I can’t imagine adding a Caufield to that, no way