Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

54 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Elliotte Friedman: Sabres are ‘wide open' for business amid rough season - Sportsnet.ca

With only Hall & Skinner having NMCs, and Okposo and Stall having M-NTCs, there are lots of possibilities ... and even those guys might want out considering that Buffalo is "battling" Ottawa and Detroit for worst in the league.

Reinhart having a breakout season (36g/82gm pace) and being a pending RFA would be very interesting, but expensive ... and Stall as a 4C would be terrific, allowing more use of the 4th line and I am certain he could handle time on LW in the top 9 if needed ... those potential deals would mean also having to move out contracts as well as picks/prospects ... logically Tartar, Danault, Lehkonen and Armia would be the cap-balancing options, undoubtedly also with some sort of plus(s) ... with "good enough" plus(s) even Byron might be moveable ... not suggesting any of those players should/must/etc. be traded, but deals for players of substance will require cap space to be moved out.

At the same time I saw Friedman's news about the Sabres, I heard a report that some NHL players have already managed to receive their Covid vaccination(s); expect it will be easier in the US than Canada ... wonder how that impacts Canada's cross-border quarantine?  If it reduces/eliminates the quarantine period that could have a major impact on the trade deadline.  I have submitted a question to Global Affairs Canada and will share if/when I get a response.  

i do not want any of the Sabre players contaminating the Habs team, except maybe Eichel or Dahlin (Which won’t happen)

50 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Tatar, Danault and Armia are all UFAs at the end of the season, making them rentals and reducing their trade value. On the other hand, moving them would make this year's playoff run substantially more challenging.

Having been vaccinated does not eliminate the quarantine requirement.

I am NOT suggesting that they have particular value in a trade (unless another playoff team has a surplus in an area that the Habs need and they need the Habs' player) or that they be traded as traditional rentals ... just saying that in order to acquire a player who makes the team better overall after the deal, the Habs might have to include one or more players for the specific purpose of creating the cap-space necessary to bring in the new player ... the other team may or may not have interest in re-signing the player but more likely would just take them on for the remainder of the season in order to make the trade and get the plus(s).

As for the effect of vaccination on quarantine, didn't say it did but wondered if it could change ... apparently the CDC is expected to issue revised Covid guidelines this week, which may include  quarantine revisions.

3 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

I am NOT suggesting that they have particular value in a trade (unless another playoff team has a surplus in an area that the Habs need and they need the Habs' player) or that they be traded as traditional rentals ... just saying that in order to acquire a player who makes the team better overall after the deal, the Habs might have to include one or more players for the specific purpose of creating the cap-space necessary to bring in the new player ... the other team may or may not have interest in re-signing the player but more likely would just take them on for the remainder of the season in order to make the trade and get the plus(s).

As for the effect of vaccination on quarantine, didn't say it did but wondered if it could see change ... apparently the CDC is expected to issue revised Covid guidelines this week, which may include  quarantine revisions.

ok, so what is the trade you are proposing? With which team ? And for which players on that other team?

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

ok, so what is the trade you are proposing? With which team ? And for which players on that other team?

Tone noted ... I'll use General NHL Discussion for such posts in future

How about Byron, Evans, Farrell, 2021 2nd and a 2022 3rd for Staal and Curtis Lazar from Buffalo ...

3 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Tatar, Danault and Armia are all UFAs at the end of the season, making them rentals and reducing their trade value. On the other hand, moving them would make this year's playoff run substantially more challenging.

Having been vaccinated does not eliminate the quarantine requirement.

I could see them as pieces in a trade with a non-playoff team like the Sabres.  Long-term the Sabres can cut contracts a d have more flexibility to move them to other USA based teams as rentals while resting 50% salary in the hopes of picking up more quality prospects and picks. That’s if their ownership get out of their knee jerk reactionary mode and look at the long game - which they are going to have to do clean up that mess.

for us to move guys like Danault or Tatar to fill other holes l, does not make sense, since we wouldn’t have the cap space to retain 50% of their salary.  On the other hand the Sabres could do that and increase the quality of the picks or prospects they get for retaining salary. Danault, Tatar, KK, 1st rounder, Brook, Poehling, Mete and a Prospect for Eichal?

They move Tatar and Danault for at least an additional 1st and two seconds?not thinking it would be a real deal possible during the season, just spitballing.  I actually thought Krueger would be a good choice - there was progression with him in Edmonton, until the oilers went with Mr. “No donuts for the Media” Eakins.  He also did great with the kids on the North American team that Eichal was a part of. However, with his use of players and some of the comments he’s been making, he should have been fired two weeks ago. That franchise is a mess and has been once since screwing over Lafontaine.

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

i do not want any of the Sabre players contaminating the Habs team, except maybe Eichel or Dahlin (Which won’t happen)

True.  But we can dream of a milbury moment, or a move like the Bruins trading away Thornton can’t we??  Nothing wrong with dreaming!!

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

True.  But we can dream of a milbury moment, or a move like the Bruins trading away Thornton can’t we??  Nothing wrong with dreaming!!

I am all about dreaming , I kept dreaming we would keep Patches and that we would sign Tavares...

I guess I was a bit annoyed at the lack of specifics on the thread proposal thread... just a bit :hammer:

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Tone noted ... I'll use General NHL Discussion for such posts in future

How about Byron, Evans, Farrell, 2021 2nd and a 2022 3rd for Staal and Curtis Lazar from Buffalo ...

Sorry buddy for being rude 

4 hours ago, GHT120 said:

As for the effect of vaccination on quarantine, didn't say it did but wondered if it could change ... apparently the CDC is expected to issue revised Covid guidelines this week, which may include  quarantine revisions.

The CDC is American and their recommendations would have no bearing on Canadian provincial quarantine requirements.  While I don't want to drag politics into this, I get the sense there is no political appetite to ease back restrictions on people coming into Canada at this time.  It might be relevant for next season but for now, vaccinated or not, traded players to Canadian teams will still be sitting in a hotel for 14 days.

15 hours ago, dlbalr said:

The CDC is American and their recommendations would have no bearing on Canadian provincial quarantine requirements.  While I don't want to drag politics into this, I get the sense there is no political appetite to ease back restrictions on people coming into Canada at this time.  It might be relevant for next season but for now, vaccinated or not, traded players to Canadian teams will still be sitting in a hotel for 14 days.

My apologies ...  I assumed that, like you, others would know that the CDC is a national public health institute in the United States, and a world leader in their field ... they do not control US Covid policy but are an important voice in the decision making process ... Canada and the US are in regular contact about the border ... if the US were to facilitate entry and reduce/eliminate quarantine for those who had been vaccinated there would undoubtedly be pressure on Canada to do the same ... both from the US and from certain business/political interests in Canada ... although the provinces implement quarantine requirements according to their own legislative authorities the same business/political interests would apply ... there are about 6 weeks until the trade deadline and I was merely suggesting that if changes were made that it could have an impact on player movement.

56 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

My apologies ...  I assumed that, like you, others would know that the CDC is a national public health institute in the United States, and a world leader in their field ... they do not control US Covid policy but are an important voice in the decision making process ... Canada and the US are in regular contact about the border ... if the US were to facilitate entry and reduce/eliminate quarantine for those who had been vaccinated there would undoubtedly be pressure on Canada to do the same ... both from the US and from certain business/political interests in Canada ... although the provinces implement quarantine requirements according to their own legislative authorities the same business/political interests would apply ... there are about 6 weeks until the trade deadline and I was merely suggesting that if changes were made that it could have an impact on player movement.

The US does not have any (federal) quarantine requirement at this time. Some states do, many of them are voluntary ("please") though.

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

The US does not have any (federal) quarantine requirement at this time. Some states do, many of them are voluntary ("please") though.

But the Feds do control who can enter the country ... ***if*** they were to decide to accept proof of vaccination rather than the current testing requirements to enter the country that would likely have trickle down effects, including reciprocity from Canada ... but it is all hypothetical and only time will tell ... NHL not likely to be that lucky.

5 hours ago, GHT120 said:

But the Feds do control who can enter the country ... ***if*** they were to decide to accept proof of vaccination rather than the current testing requirements to enter the country that would likely have trickle down effects, including reciprocity from Canada ... but it is all hypothetical and only time will tell ... NHL not likely to be that lucky.

I think Canada fir the most part has much stricter measures than the USA.  The fact that they require the 14 day quarantine now, while the USA doesn’t, suggests they don’t need to have some requirements.

if anything with all of the politician travelling scandals, I can’t see governments making allowances for professional athletes.

18 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I think Canada fir the most part has much stricter measures than the USA.  The fact that they require the 14 day quarantine now, while the USA doesn’t, suggests they don’t need to have some requirements.

if anything with all of the politician travelling scandals, I can’t see governments making allowances for professional athletes.

I agree ... wasn't suggesting NHLers would get special treatment ... just that a potential/hypothetical GoC policy change could have impacts for the NHL

On 3/8/2021 at 5:40 PM, hab29RETIRED said:

They also have some arenas with partial attendance.

I’m afraid that the Leafs or jets might snag Ekholm which would be very unfortunate imho. 

26 minutes ago, PMAC said:

I’m afraid that the Leafs or jets might snag Ekholm which would be very unfortunate imho. 

Just now, tomh009 said:

They have even less cap space than we do.

And they could potentially acquire Ekholm and his $3.75M cap-hit by including Kerfoot (maybe getting Nashville to eat $250K to make it cap-hit in for cap-hit out) ... the unknown would be the picks/prospects TO will have to include to get Nashville to agree to the deal ... there is a difference in hockey-value between Kerfoot and Ekholm to be offset, and there may need to be a sweetener needed to get the Preds to take on the next two years of Kerfoot's deal ... he has dipped from the 20 goals scorer in his rookie year in Colorado to 15 his second and 11g/82gm the last two years, especially as those last two seasons have been with one of the top offences in the league).

MB danced around the concept but moving a roster player as PART of a deal to balance cap-hits for a player that makes your team better, even considering the player lost, *** is *** (or should be) an option for every team ... it is admittedly a bit more complex an "equation" for GMs than the typical picks/prospects for a player that we are used to seeing around this point of the season to the deadline.

9 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

And they could potentially acquire Ekholm and his $3.75M cap-hit by including Kerfoot (maybe getting Nashville to eat $250K to make it cap-hit in for cap-hit out) ... the unknown would be the picks/prospects TO will have to include to get Nashville to agree to the deal ... there is a difference in hockey-value between Kerfoot and Ekholm to be offset, and there may need to be a sweetener needed to get the Preds to take on the next two years of Kerfoot's deal ... he has dipped from the 20 goals scorer in his rookie year in Colorado to 15 his second and 11g/82gm the last two years, especially as those last two seasons have been with one of the top offences in the league).

MB danced around the concept but moving a roster player as PART of a deal to balance cap-hits for a player that makes your team better, even considering the player lost, *** is *** (or should be) an option for every team ... it is admittedly a bit more complex an "equation" for GMs than the typical picks/prospects for a player that we are used to seeing around this point of the season to the deadline.

most certainly a tough thing to accomplish but cap space can be created, it just costs 

Leafs will gamble Habs will not IMO

6 minutes ago, zumpano21 said:

Just putting this out there.

Does anyone think Caufield might be in play to acquire a piece that helps us win now?

No, but if is for an all-star forward, i am all for it. Otherwise, i hope not.

7 minutes ago, zumpano21 said:

Just putting this out there.

Does anyone think Caufield might be in play to acquire a piece that helps us win now?

Doubt it ... and I wouldn't ... unless it was as part of a package for Eichel/Aho/Connor ... young, proven 30+ goal scorer ... but that isn't likely to happen