Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

6-0 loss on Sunday and all of 16pts in 27games, will Sabres have a fire-sale in-season? Or more likely make sweeping changes in the summer?

46 minutes ago, DON said:

6-0 loss on Sunday and all of 16pts in 27games, will Sabres have a fire-sale in-season? Or more likely make sweeping changes in the summer?

Good question 

Ignore the fact that the seller market is poor right now. I’m not sure if Buffalo is giving up yet. 

I have watched maybe 7 periods of Sabres hockey all season and all I can say is that I’ve never seen a more dysfunctional team

38 minutes ago, DON said:

I'd say both ... I expect them to try to peddle pending UFAs Hall, Staal, Reilly Sheehan and Brandon Mountour ...

• Staal is an obvious choice for the Habs to pursue but he has a 10 team NTC and I'm not certain he waives it for Montreal
  • Hall might be an option if Sabres retain 50% and he starts scoring (e.g., if Tartar doesn't pickup then Tartar for 50% retained Hall)
  • Sheehan might be a typical 4C pickup ... he is winning 56.5% of his draws
  • Montour might be a nice depth defenceman but doesn't address who should play with Weber

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

I'd say both ... I expect them to try to peddle pending UFAs Hall, Staal, Reilly Sheehan and Brandon Mountour ...

• Staal is an obvious choice for the Habs to pursue but he has a 10 team NTC and I'm not certain he waives it for Montreal
  • Hall might be an option if Sabres retain 50% and he starts scoring (e.g., if Tartar doesn't pickup then Tartar for 50% retained Hall)
  • Sheehan might be a typical 4C pickup ... he is winning 56.5% of his draws
  • Montour might be a nice depth defenceman but doesn't address who should play with Weber

Why would the Sabres want Tatar instead of Hall, while effectively keeping Hall's salary? Why would we want Hall, who is not scoring any better than Tatar? Even last year, when Hall scored 0.8 pts/game, Tatar scored 0.9. And this year both are at about 0.6, and only two of Hall's points are goals.

16 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Why would we want Hall,

Because he is highly skilled, quick skater and does have MVP in his back pocket.

And no one would confuse Hall and Tatar.

654games- 579points (73pts/82gms) isnt chopped liver and i doubt he is washed up at 29.

I think he might be exactly what Habs need, more skill on the left wing.

21 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Why would the Sabres want Tatar instead of Hall, while effectively keeping Hall's salary? Why would we want Hall, who is not scoring any better than Tatar? Even last year, when Hall scored 0.8 pts/game, Tatar scored 0.9. And this year both are at about 0.6, and only two of Hall's points are goals.

Apologies ... I omitted (and should have specified) what I've said many times before, it would be Tartar for cap purposes but picks and prospects to entice Sabres to make the trade ... and, as I stated in my post, Habs would only be interested if at the time of the trade Tartar isn't scoring and Hall is (i.e., he is actually a current season upgrade) ... 

5 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Apologies ... I omitted (and should have specified) what I've said many times before, it would be Tartar for cap purposes but picks and prospects to entice Sabres to make the trade ... and, as I stated in my post, Habs would only be interested if at the time of the trade Tartar isn't scoring and Hall is (i.e., he is actually a current season upgrade) ... 

i could see the sabres going for a deal like that if we it was for a 1st and a top prospect, than they would also trade Tatar.  But we need more help at D 0 not forward - unless its a top centre.

I think we have enough top end talent. I think we need a vet with playoff experience. Someone who’s won before, can play and bring some value into the dressing room.

IMO, most of our troubles are supratentorial.

1 minute ago, hab29RETIRED said:

i could see the sabres going for a deal like that if we it was for a 1st and a top prospect, than they would also trade Tatar.  But we need more help at D 0 not forward - unless its a top centre.

I don't disagree about priorities, but expect MB will not only look at those areas but also any deal that can make the team better coming out of the deal than going in

Just now, zumpano21 said:

I think we have enough top end talent. I think we need a vet with playoff experience. Someone who’s won before, can play and bring some value into the dressing room.

IMO, most of our troubles are supratentorial.

I don't really care if someone has one. I'd take a skilled top Dman over experience, or an upgrade centre.

34 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

which picks and which prospects?

please be more specific

3 hours ago, zumpano21 said:

Just putting this out there.

Does anyone think Caufield might be in play to acquire a piece that helps us win now?

I sure hope not, unless the player is young and part of the long-term core. 

41 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Sabres would likely flip Tatar too. 

42 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

which picks and which prospects?

please be more specific

Primeau, Caufield, Norlinder, Harris, Struble and Guhle ... although the Sabres would have to thro in a second rounder

17 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Primeau, Caufield, Norlinder, Harris, Struble and Guhle ... although the Sabres would have to thro in a second rounder

For Hall?

38 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

For Hall?

Too much

;)  

7 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Too much

;)  

then what _IS_ the trade proposal you posted in the trade proposal thread?

I am not sure I understand what you are proposing

Just now, alfredoh2009 said:

then what _IS_ the trade proposal you posted in the trade proposal thread?

I am not sure I understand what you are proposing

After a multi-party, multi-post, wide-ranging discussion you ask me for a specific proposal?

Must admit I feel singled out.
Perhaps I should start a new Topic for General Trade Discussions ... not a specific proposal, not a credible rumour but this type of discussion about trade possibilities.

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

I think this was obviously meant as a joke. Giving up all your top prospects for Hall, a guy who has scored 2 goals in 27 games and will play only 1/2 year for you.  Giving up Caulfield alone would be too much. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

After a multi-party, multi-post, wide-ranging discussion you ask me for a specific proposal?

Must admit I feel singled out.
Perhaps I should start a new Topic for General Trade Discussions ... not a specific proposal, not a credible rumour but this type of discussion about trade possibilities.

I usually like your comments, and I am looking to comment but cant find it inthe thread

Maybe I am overthinking it.

6 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I think this was obviously meant as a joke. Giving up all your top prospects for Hall, a guy who has scored 2 goals in 27 games and will play only 1/2 year for you.  Giving up Caulfield alone would be too much. 

It few over my head, I missed the joke. Thanks!

2 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

It few over my head, I missed the joke. Thanks!

It happens to everyone, sometimes you can't see the forest for the trees. I am not a fan of giving up much for Taylor Hall. There is a reason the best the Oilers could get for a supposedly marque young player was Adam Larsson who is a solid defenceman but has nowhere near the ability Hall has. 

2 hours ago, DON said:

Because he is highly skilled, quick skater and does have MVP in his back pocket.

And no one would confuse Hall and Tatar.

654games- 579points (73pts/82gms) isnt chopped liver and i doubt he is washed up at 29.

I think he might be exactly what Habs need, more skill on the left wing.

I, too, would love to have an MVP-level forward who is highly skilled and a quick skater. But while quoting long-term numbers makes sense for the HoF, it is less relevant for assessing a player's current value.

Hall has not been that 73-point player for two years, neither in Arizona or in Buffalo. Admittedly he is only 29, but he is well off that pace recently (60-point pace last year and 48-point pace this year). That is indeed not better than Tatar (73- and 48-point pace).

Maybe he will regain his form. Maybe. But I think we already have enough veterans whose performance is flagging, and who we hope will regain their former performance levels. I'd rather not add another reclamation project.

• Like 1

Here is one reason why I was asking for what was proposed, I wanted to make this trade proposal:

To Montreal: Nick Bonino $4.1,M/1 year cap hit, 52.2 FO%

To Minnesota: Armia $2.6M/1year (they just lost Foligno) + Weal $1.4M (4th line center/depth)

Habs gain an experienced center for the 4th line, clear Weal from Laval to give room to Poehling, Vejdemo, Hillis, etc

Minnesota gain a possetion forward with (inconsisten) some scoring touch and a cheap center for depth that they can bury in the minors if they choose to.

2 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

I, too, would love to have an MVP-level forward who is highly skilled and a quick skater. But while quoting long-term numbers makes sense for the HoF, it is less relevant for assessing a player's current value.

Hall has not been that 73-point player for two years, neither in Arizona or in Buffalo. Admittedly he is only 29, but he is well off that pace recently (60-point pace last year and 48-point pace this year). That is indeed not better than Tatar (73- and 48-point pace).

Maybe he will regain his form. Maybe. But I think we already have enough veterans whose performance is flagging, and who we hope will regain their former performance levels. I'd rather not add another reclamation project.

Good points ... If there was a way to add Hall without moving Tartar that would add scoring skill depth rather than just swapping it in/out ... for cap purposes example only, Byron and Armia (total $6M) for 50% Hall ($4M), Riley Sheehan ($700K) and Tage Thompson ($1.4M) totalling $6.1M ... but then there is the whole question of what Sabres would want in terms of picks/prospects to motivate them to make the deal.