Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

20 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

I, too, would love to have an MVP-level forward who is highly skilled and a quick skater. But while quoting long-term numbers makes sense for the HoF, it is less relevant for assessing a player's current value.

Hall has not been that 73-point player for two years, neither in Arizona or in Buffalo. Admittedly he is only 29, but he is well off that pace recently (60-point pace last year and 48-point pace this year). That is indeed not better than Tatar (73- and 48-point pace).

Maybe he will regain his form. Maybe. But I think we already have enough veterans whose performance is flagging, and who we hope will regain their former performance levels. I'd rather not add another reclamation project.

Good post, agree 100%. You also have to ask yourself. Why did Taylor Hall sign a 1 year deal in Buffalo?  Who chooses to go to maybe the worst franchise in the NHL?  Maybe nobody else wanted him. Why would that be?

3 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Here is one reason why I was asking for what was proposed, I wanted to make this trade proposal:

To Montreal: Nick Bonino $4.1,M/1 year cap hit, 52.2 FO%

To Minnesota: Armia $2.6M/1year (they just lost Foligno) + Weal $1.4M (4th line center/depth)

Habs gain an experienced center for the 4th line, clear Weal from Laval to give room to Poehling, Vejdemo, Hillis, etc

Minnesota gain a possetion forward with (inconsisten) some scoring touch and a cheap center for depth that they can bury in the minors if they choose to.

Like the idea ... have also been tempted by Bonino as a 4C ... just don't know that Wild will have any use for Weal ... but if they like Armia they might make the deal with a draft pick as a sweetener

1 minute ago, GHT120 said:

Like the idea ... have also been tempted by Bonino as a 4C ... just don't know that Wild will have any use for Weal ... but if they like Armia they might make the deal with a draft pick as a sweetener

This trade and the return of Foligno would solidify their forwards and with Armia they will gain some secondary scoring

And Weal would give them depth once Foligno is back

1 minute ago, alfredoh2009 said:

This trade and the return of Foligno would solidify their forwards and with Armia they will gain some secondary scoring

And Weal would give them depth once Foligno is back

I get the logic ... but I just don't see anyone wanting Weal in any trade ... he has looked very AHL ordinary in too many of the games I've been able to watch on RDS ... but a sweetener (3rd?) could entice them to take Weal, knowing they could safely waive him to make cap space if needed

37 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Hall has not been that 73-point player for two years, neither in Arizona or in Buffalo.

Well, 52pts-62gms; 65.6 pt pace last year and not on great teams (Arzona 23rd, Devils 26th in scoring).

AND Buffalo....

The secon trade I was thinking of is:

To Montreal: Oleksiak (left-D, #2.1M/1yr) to play with Weber and

To Dallas: 1st draft pick in 2021, Tampa's 2nd draft pick 2021, Lehkonen($2.4M/1yr) to clear cap room and Jordan Harris to entice them

This year, Dallas has not played many games due to the covid and show as being out of the playoffs, if they manage to play the games they are missing with a more compressed schedule they may catch up; it is more likely that it is a year to rebuild.

This trade sees them loosing a very good D, but it gives them an OK prospect in Harris, two good draft picks and a bottom 6 player that may still score 15-20 goals on a good year.

This trade would make the has a contender

38 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

The secon trade I was thinking of is:

To Montreal: Oleksiak (left-D, #2.1M/1yr) to play with Weber and

To Dallas: 1st draft pick in 2021, Tampa's 2nd draft pick 2021, Lehkonen($2.4M/1yr) to clear cap room and Jordan Harris to entice them

This year, Dallas has not played many games due to the covid and show as being out of the playoffs, if they manage to play the games they are missing with a more compressed schedule they may catch up; it is more likely that it is a year to rebuild.

This trade sees them loosing a very good D, but it gives them an OK prospect in Harris, two good draft picks and a bottom 6 player that may still score 15-20 goals on a good year.

This trade would make the has a contender

That seems like a whole lot to give up for a pretty average depth defenceman. Dallas only had to give up a 4th round pick to get him a couple years ago. Has he suddenly blossomed?

6 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I don't really care if someone has one. I'd take a skilled top Dman over experience, or an upgrade centre.

I think I just meant someone who’s career is defined by simply winning. Someone who just wills a way to win.

7 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

That seems like a whole lot to give up for a pretty average depth defenceman. Dallas only had to give up a 4th round pick to get him a couple years ago. Has he suddenly blossomed?

That’s me overrating him

I have not seen him play, but based on what I saw and what I think Dallas would want, a cocked up this trade

what would you give up for him?

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

That’s me overrating him

I have not seen him play, but based on what I saw and what I think Dallas would want, a cocked up this trade

what would you give up for him?

He's worth about a 3rd rounder at best; his previous two trades were both for fourths.  He's a third-pairing guy that is playing more than he should be this year.  I'm not giving up a 1st and a roster forward for someone who may be Montreal's fifth or sixth defenceman and then walks as a rental.

20 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

He's worth about a 3rd rounder at best; his previous two trades were both for fourths.  He's a third-pairing guy that is playing more than he should be this year.  I'm not giving up a 1st and a roster forward for someone who may be Montreal's fifth or sixth defenceman and then walks as a rental.

Ok

4 hours ago, dlbalr said:

3 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Ok

The other challenge is that even if a fair deal could be negotiated in the abstract, Dallas is still fighting for a playoff spot so unlikely to deal him ... Dallas has three D playing 23+ minutes, Oleksiak at 19:30 and the next closest D is at 15:47.

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

The other challenge is that even if a fair deal could be negotiated in the abstract, Dallas is still fighting for a playoff spot so unlikely to deal him ... Dallas has three D playing 23+ minutes, 

Oleksiak at 19:30 and the next closest D is at 15:47.

Maybe Mete for Oleksiak and a 3rd? If Dallas is out of contention at the trade deadline.

Oleksiak is an upgrade on Mete and Dallas can either play Mete and hope he develops and also draft a D that would develop into a decent prospect

43 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

No way we bring in a bottom pair Dman. 

Chairot will be back and things will be as they were. 

Only way we trade for a Dman is if there is a #1 available IMO 

Ekholm is available but we don't have the cap space unless MB spends assets to entice a team to take someone to clear salary e.g.,  Byron which he has said he will not do. 

Hasn't taken all that long to figure out who Ducharme isn't enamored with: Lehkonen and Mete. That's $3 135 000 that could head out the door in a deal, and I expect both players would interest a bunch of rebuilding teams quite a bit. Hell, he's probably the only coach in the NHL who doesn't love Lehkonen, so I dunno what's going on there.

I want a gamebreaker as much as the next guy but with the 2 week quarantine, how little most teams want to take on money this year in particular, and how little draft picks will be regarded for the draft in July... I really doubt this is the year it can happen.

If a right-handed, defensive centerman can be brought in for some center depth, and a right-handed defenseman can be scrounged up to play with Romanov until Chiarot is back playing, I'll be content. 

15 hours ago, zumpano21 said:

I think I just meant someone who’s career is defined by simply winning. Someone who just wills a way to win.

I get that. But you can say O’Reilly was that guy in St. Louis, and he hadn't been part of a team that had much success in a lot of years.  I’ll take a young skilled guy who is committed and works hard (doesn’t float), over an old cup winner, simply trying to pickup a player because he won before.

we have Perry who has won before. Edmondson’s a guy whose won. We have enough filler players and have always chased has beens in the past. Let’s go get someone who wants to be a winner and is skilled and works hard - not just more plumbers that were part of a winning team.

I still think that a top line  Dman should be the top priority and after that an upgrade over Danault. I want elite talent, not a resume.  I also don’t want to move a key young asset, unless it’s fir a guy with the skill level of Eichal (who unfortunately is injured).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Thinking that MB would bring Taylor Hall in his locker room after parting with Subban for "off ice reasons" is lunacy. 

As much as he's skilled,  Taylor Hall is a team killer.  Let other teams kill themselves.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Hasn't taken all that long to figure out who Ducharme isn't enamored with: Lehkonen and Mete. That's $3 135 000 that could head out the door in a deal, and I expect both players would interest a bunch of rebuilding teams quite a bit. Hell, he's probably the only coach in the NHL who doesn't love Lehkonen, so I dunno what's going on there.

I want a gamebreaker as much as the next guy but with the 2 week quarantine, how little most teams want to take on money this year in particular, and how little draft picks will be regarded for the draft in July... I really doubt this is the year it can happen.

If a right-handed, defensive centerman can be brought in for some center depth, and a right-handed defenseman can be scrounged up to play with Romanov until Chiarot is back playing, I'll be content. 

I’d rather try and package a young player with Byron and eliminate DD’s (over)use of him.

13 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I get that. But you can say O’Reilly was that guy in St. Louis, and he hadn't been part of a team that had much success in a lot of years.  I’ll take a young skilled guy who is committed and works hard (doesn’t float), over an old cup winner, simply trying to pickup a player because he won before.

we have Perry who has won before. Edmondson’s a guy whose won. We have enough filler players and have always chased has beens in the past. Let’s go get someone who wants to be a winner and is skilled and works hard - not just more plumbers that were part of a winning team.

I still think that a top line  Dman should be the top priority and after that an upgrade over Danault. I want elite talent, not a resume.  I also don’t want to move a key young asset, unless it’s fir a guy with the skill level of Eichal (who unfortunately is injured).

Good post 👍

The only move we should make is a game breaker - ideally LD

Ive said before that if we can find a taker for Tatar we should trade him. Byron can do what Tatar is doing and Lehkonen is too good to sit. 

What about Ekholm 50% retained

for Kulak, 1st, prospect dman(Struble/Harris) and prospect forward(Poehling/Ylonen)

Kulak salary would be close to equal Ekholm salary at 50% retained i believe.

4 hours ago, MFT77 said:

What about Ekholm 50% retained

for Kulak, 1st, prospect dman(Struble/Harris) and prospect forward(Poehling/Ylonen)

Kulak salary would be close to equal Ekholm salary at 50% retained i believe.

NASH could eat some of the salary, they have the space because of so many injuries. Their core is aging and I believe there was talk of starting a rebuild after last year disappointment

* https://thehockeywriters.com/predators-need-rebuild-it-wont-be-easy/

* https://atozsportsnashville.com/what-would-a-total-rebuild-of-the-nashville-predators-look-like/

I do not think Kulak would interest them for the same reasons he is not a solution for the Habs. I wish we could swap Chiarot for Ekholm, but that will not be possible.

They have a couple of D prospects in Farance, Fabro and Davis but I do not know how far they are in their development or how good they may be.

I would try:

To Montreal: Ekholm ($3.75M/2yr) and Eeli Tolvanen ($0.9M/1yr)

To Nashville: 2021 1st and (CHI) 3rd,  Lehkonen($2.4M/1yr), Armia($2.6M/1yr) and Struble

It gives them NHL players that are in-line with what seems to be the current coach's mentality (Defensive first), it gives them a couple of interesting picks and a decent D prospect.

The Habs get a top pair LD and a decent LW prospect.

The Habs should certainly be working hard to be in on Ekholm. But I doubt that we’ll get it done; I wouldn’t trade Caulfield for a top-4 LD who is 30 years old, and that’s probably who NSH will insist on. Alfredoh’s proposal above is not crazy, however, and does represent some meaningful value for the Preds *if* you value the picks. 

I like Trizzak’s point about Ducharme being the only coach on entire planet who does not like Lehkonen. That said, I’m not a gigantic Lehkonen fan myself. He is defensively impeccable but not of much use when your team is trying to roll four lines that can manufacture offence; he is pretty much an offensive black hole. 

10 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

How about Tatar/Byron as the cap dump with a prospect on Poehling’s level along with whatever draft picks it takes? 

Sure, and Youppi as a throw in, he is a washed up has-been hall of famer that cannot score in OT