Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

1 hour ago, Habsfan89 said:

... How does this sound

To Columbus 

Petry + Kotkaniemi + rights to Tatar 

To habs

Jones + rights to Laine 

Depends on what CBJ are looking to do ... re-tool or rebuild ... not certain the Tartar/Laine component adds much in either case for either team

In a re-tool I expect it would certainly interest CBJ ... Petry to replace Jones ... and a top (?TBD?) centre ... is KK is going to be playoff KK going forward (i.e., 30+ goals/82 games)?  ... then it seems to be a bit rich, even if Jones is a top pairing D ... after last fall most thought that this past season would be a breakout year for KK towards that level, but it didn't happen ... makes assessing KK's trade value VERY tricky ...as for Laine ... don't know if Habs would want to re-sign him, or whether he would want to re-sign with the Habs (in theory countryman KK was an attraction)

In a rebuild CBJ likely would be interested in KK but would want picks and prospects to fill out the deal.

But there is significant opinion that Jones is overrated, so at this point I don't know what would be a good deal from the Habs side.

36 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Jones is the most overrated player in the league.  Do not want any part of that.

im not an analytics person outside of basic things like heat maps. What is it about his game that stinks? 

I don’t watch him enough to have a solid opinion on him but my general perception is that he is a smooth puck mover. 

15 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

im not an analytics person outside of basic things like heat maps. What is it about his game that stinks? 

I don’t watch him enough to have a solid opinion on him but my general perception is that he is a smooth puck mover. 

His defensive ability isn't that good. 

He backs off too much and has poor gap control.  He plays pretty passive on zone entries and collapses to the net which allows teams to get in the zone and cycle around a lot.  Honestly his defense looks like Weber, when Weber is struggling.  Not the good Weber who is very aggressive and physical, but the one who can get pinned in his zone and give up lots of zone time and scoring chances. 

Offensively he has typically put up points, but this season that cratered too.  Even when its worked though, there was some question as to how much it was Panarin inflating his totals before that.  I also think the real puckmover on his pairing and the guy who really makes things happen is Werenski.

I mean he's not a bad defenceman.. but he's really a 2nd pairing guy and ideally and not this franchise defenceman that he has been made out as.  And he's UFA in a year, and is already saying he wants to test free agency.  So maybe you can re-sign him, maybe you can't... but this is a guy who is looking for 9 million a season, and he has a reputation that says he should be in the Norris conversation and he's one of the top D in the league, and I'm sorry... he's a good top 4 guy, but he's not one of the best defencemen in hockey.

My Fear is that He's going to be overvalued as a trade asset and overvalued in his contract, and man, I want no part of that. 

Give me Zach Werenski in a heartbeat though.  That guy is great.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Commandant said:

His defensive ability isn't that good. 

He backs off too much and has poor gap control.  He plays pretty passive on zone entries and collapses to the net which allows teams to get in the zone and cycle around a lot.  Honestly his defense looks like Weber, when Weber is struggling.  Not the good Weber who is very aggressive and physical, but the one who can get pinned in his zone and give up lots of zone time and scoring chances. 

Offensively he has typically put up points, but this season that cratered too.  Even when its worked though, there was some question as to how much it was Panarin inflating his totals before that.  I also think the real puckmover on his pairing and the guy who really makes things happen is Werenski.

I mean he's not a bad defenceman.. but he's really a 2nd pairing guy and ideally and not this franchise defenceman that he has been made out as.  And he's UFA in a year, and is already saying he wants to test free agency.  So maybe you can re-sign him, maybe you can't... but this is a guy who is looking for 9 million a season, and he has a reputation that says he should be in the Norris conversation and he's one of the top D in the league, and I'm sorry... he's a good top 4 guy, but he's not one of the best defencemen in hockey.

My Fear is that He's going to be overvalued as a trade asset and overvalued in his contract, and man, I want no part of that. 

Give me Zach Werenski in a heartbeat though.  That guy is great.

Thanks Ben

I get it completely now. His Dzone coverage would drive me crazy. We may as well resign Gustafsson 

27 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Thanks Ben

I get it completely now. His Dzone coverage would drive me crazy. We may as well resign Gustafsson 

It will be interesting to watch Gustafsson in this series -- both how he plays and how Ducharme uses him. Is there potential for him to complement our big D-men? I can't see him getting a significant raise from his current $3M contract. But the first question is whether he can actually be a fit for the team.

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

It will be interesting to watch Gustafsson in this series -- both how he plays and how Ducharme uses him. Is there potential for him to complement our big D-men? I can't see him getting a significant raise from his current $3M contract. But the first question is whether he can actually be a fit for the team.

He played well for the most part last game and he has a clear positive impact in the offensive zone. 

The issue is that we are playing the most basic D style there is. We use bodies to force the opponents outside. It is effective but extremely taxing on the body and requires great strength and power. So Gustafsson has only to keep up for 6 mins a game currently, can he do that 20 mins a game?

But he did look good

He and Kulak are gonna have to take bigger minutes, especially early in the series.

As for his next contract.  I doubt anyone comes close to $3m after seeing him in Philly and with the flat cap.  He's likely looking at half that.

• 3 weeks later...

I was going through the potential Seattle expansion lists of the league, to see who had a weal defensemen list.

Arizona seems like a good candidate to target.

image.png

I would try to trade to them Kulak which is probably a better D to protect than Lyubushkin

To Arizona: Kulak and 2021 first round pick + rights to Leskinen

To Montreal: Victor Söderström who seems to be a solid prospect RD

Arizona would get a very good NHL D at a reasonable price that they can protect, they get a 1st round pick this year and a fringe/depth defenseman that they could actually play and would improve their D

Montreal gets an RD prospect with good potential that they do not need to protect, mitigating the potential loss of a D. Also, Kulak seems to have been passed by Romanov

• 4 weeks later...
59 minutes ago, Neech said:

To MTL:

Eichel

To BUF:

Drouin (for salary)

KK

Romanov

Guhle

1st rounder

Love a reasonable looking (painful) proposal.:clap:

47 minutes ago, DON said:

Love a reasonable looking (painful) proposal.:clap:

It’s an overpay given the health concerns with Eichal and the Sabres pretty much have to move him. I don’t see anyone else that would give up to hat much. That almost crashed enough for Eichal and dahlin.

18 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

It’s an overpay given the health concerns with Eichal and the Sabres pretty much have to move him. I don’t see anyone else that would give up to hat much. That almost crashed enough for Eichal and dahlin.

Any trade offer for Eichel would have to be contingent on a medical, or at least a review of all associated medical files.

The flat that you, and undoubtedly some other Habs fans, feel it is an overpayment likely means it is in the range of reasonable ... IMO any trade proposal where fans of the team "proposing" it are happy to make is almost always not a sufficient offer.

57 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Any trade offer for Eichel would have to be contingent on a medical, or at least a review of all associated medical files.

The flat that you, and undoubtedly some other Habs fans, feel it is an overpayment likely means it is in the range of reasonable ... IMO any trade proposal where fans of the team "proposing" it are happy to make is almost always not a sufficient offer.

Do you think what the Oilers paid for Keith was reasonable?? Not a fan of the Oilers; but given the cap hit, I thought it was a gross overpay. Even more so, given the Suter and Yandle buyouts that folllowed.

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

That's a fair point, if we are happy with it then it is likely not enough.

Having said that, I think it is an overpay. Eichel won't come cheap but by giving up Romanov, Guhle and a 1st rounder, you are severely restricting Montreal's ability to rebuild their ageing defence and by paying Eichel 10 Million a year there won't be much left over for free agents. 

7 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Do you think what the Oilers paid for Keith was reasonable?? Not a fan of the Oilers; but given the cap hit, I thought it was a gross overpay. Even more so, given the Suter and Yandle buyouts that folllowed.

Agree 100%, the Habs now have some options on defence to replace Weber at a much lower cap hit. Don't know if Suter or or Yandle are interested in coming here. Holland had some much cheaper options if he had waited a few days. Bad timing for him, maybe good timing for the Habs. 

9 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

That's a fair point, if we are happy with it then it is likely not enough.

Having said that, I think it is an overpay. Eichel won't come cheap but by giving up Romanov, Guhle and a 1st rounder, you are severely restricting Montreal's ability to rebuild their ageing defence and by paying Eichel 10 Million a year there won't be much left over for free agents. 

It would certainly depend on at least a couple of Norlinder, Harris and Struble panning out in the near future, and would certainly mean some patching next season ... the team's style would also significantly change, becoming more offensively oriented ... the chance to play with Eichel, Suzuki and an emerging KK could attract UFA forwards, or even defencemen,  on a reasonable deal ... but the shift in team orientation is what makes me believe MB is unlikely to pursue Eichel.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

We'd probably have to add a top prospect or two more.  Basically a dollar (Eichel) for 3 quarters, 4 dimes, and a few nickels.  Buffalo could probably get more elite talent elsewhere, which is why trades like this are pretty rare.

To Montreal: Giordano ($4.04M, 1yr) and 3rd-round pick (#77)

To Calgary: Kulak ($1.85M, 1yr) and 1st-round pick (#30)

Calgary gets salary cap relief, a player they know who has gotten better with time and another 1st round pick. They can use the extra cap space and added assets in their negotiations with their pending UFAs/RFs or to trade

Habs get a top-4 capable defenseman on a 1-year deal and a third round pick that could payoff this year of a player slips through other organization's scouting. It is a very unpredictable year for the draft

7 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Calgary gets salary cap relief, a player they know who has gotten better with time and another 1st round pick. They can use the extra cap space and added assets in their negotiations with their pending UFAs/RFs or to trade

Habs get a top-4 capable defenseman on a 1-year deal and a third round pick that could payoff this year of a player slips through other organization's scouting. It is a very unpredictable year for the draft

Gio is probably picked up by Seattle 

4 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Gio is probably picked up by Seattle 

could a trade be conditional on the players not being picked off by Seattle ?

Just now, alfredoh2009 said:

could a trade be conditional on the players not being picked off by Seattle ?

They’d likely then just wait until after the expansion draft. 

4 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

We'll have to see until after the trade freeze is lifted is lifted post-expansion draft ... it would spend a lot of Weber's LTIR without filling the hole on the right-side.

And would Calgary really retain $2.5+ million of Giordano's cap-hit?

1 minute ago, revvvrob said:

They’d likely then just wait until after the expansion draft. 

I am all stressed out and would like to put this to rest... but, yeah! you are right

offer sheet proposal, I do not know how to put one of these together but her it goes:

Cal Foote (if not taken by SEA)

$3.5Mx6yr

front loaded, to make it hard for TBL to match this off-season.

Habs get a legit RD prospect that can play in the NHL this coming season, they only loose a mid-to-late first round pick. If TBL matches, it will make it tougher on TBL to three-peat