Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

(Don’t get me wrong, I have enormous respect for the way he carved out an NHL career against all odds. But this isn’t five years ago. He’s done as a reliable contributor IMHO).

That's harsh.  He made some legendary plays in these last playoffs and was a reliable positive contributor.  Not relative to his contract value of course, but he still helps the team win.  The problem is how many decent middle to bottom-6ers we have making a million more than their production is worth.

15 minutes ago, Neech said:

That's harsh.  He made some legendary plays in these last playoffs and was a reliable positive contributor.  Not relative to his contract value of course, but he still helps the team win.  The problem is how many decent middle to bottom-6ers we have making a million more than their production is worth.

Solid point. NHL is a large sample size, so over the last 3 years, Byron certainly hasn't lived up to his contract, but there have been some HUGE moments where I'm sure nobody complained. He may have scored the nicest goal in all of the playoffs. Also an extremely timely goal.

• 2 weeks later...

Not really a trade proposal but close.

Jets are terminating the contract of 25-year-old RHD Sami Niku. 

Sami Niku has really struggled in the NHL but he looked a good prospect when he was in Finland and AHL.

I wouldn't be surprised if a team needing a puck moving RHD would take a chance. Cheap One-year deal with two-way so he can be waived and put in the AHL if its not working.

9 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Sami Niku has really struggled in the NHL but he looked a good prospect when he was in Finland and AHL.

I wouldn't be surprised if a team needing a puck moving RHD would take a chance. Cheap One-year deal with two-way so he can be waived and put in the AHL if its not working.

he may play right D but shoots left... and his numbers are worst than Gustafsson...

it's a X NO X for me

21 hours ago, Commandant said:

If the Habs hadn't have signed Wideman, I think Niku would have been a decent fit in that 6/7 offensive role.  He's not great in his own end but he really hasn't had much of a look yet in the NHL.  What really surprises me is that they couldn't find a taker on a contract that is below the minimum salary.  That's a strong indictment on his league-wide value.

He's left handed too, but can play the right side as well (and often did in the AHL). 

I think the deal has to be a 2-way one if no one wants his current 1-way deal that is still really cheap. 

Start him in the AHL and call him up?

I'd rather him than Goloubef. 

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Commandant said:

... I'd rather him than Goloubef. 

23 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

At least Niku has some future potential. Maybe.

Goloubef is just a PTO so no commitment yet, right?

Two different players ... taking on Niku (waivers or as a post-termination signing) would be an attempt to resurrect his long-term NHL potential ... signing Goloubef would be as a veteran to support the Rocket d-corps and only for emergency NHL purposes

3 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Two different players ... taking on Niku (waivers or as a post-termination signing) would be an attempt to resurrect his long-term NHL potential ... signing Goloubef would be as a veteran to support the Rocket d-corps and only for emergency NHL purposes

Niku has already proven to be an excellent AHL player.  A better AHL player than Goloubef is currently. 

As far as veteran support, they have guys like Ouellet, Schueneman and Belpedio already there on the blueline, plus upfront they will have Roy, Belzille, Dea.  How many vets do they need?  Id' take the better player in the AHL and if he pops off and we call him up, maybe someone like Wideman goes down, or you can always find a vet hanging around who would take an AHL deal.  

7 hours ago, Commandant said:

Niku has already proven to be an excellent AHL player.  A better AHL player than Goloubef is currently. 

As far as veteran support, they have guys like Ouellet, Schueneman and Belpedio already there on the blueline, plus upfront they will have Roy, Belzille, Dea.  How many vets do they need?  Id' take the better player in the AHL and if he pops off and we call him up, maybe someone like Wideman goes down, or you can always find a vet hanging around who would take an AHL deal.  

How to ruin a player like Sami Niku (offensive-minded D who skates well but isn't strong physically) -- with a bonus Mete reference!

https://twitter.com/JhanHky/status/1440024067457880072?s=20

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/21/2021 at 6:10 PM, tomh009 said:

How to ruin a player like Sami Niku (offensive-minded D who skates well but isn't strong physically) -- with a bonus Mete reference!

https://twitter.com/JhanHky/status/1440024067457880072?s=20

I don’t think we ruined Mete because I never accepted that Mete was anything all that great, BUT this is a great thread which absolutely nails a fundamental problem with NHL coaching. 

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I don’t think we ruined Mete because I never accepted that Mete was anything all that great, BUT this is a great thread which absolutely nails a fundamental problem with NHL coaching. 

Basically the coaching approach is equivalent to "the beatings will continue until morale improves."

😍😍😍😍😍

:pray::pray::pray: Let's reclaim Juulsen :pray::pray::pray:

If he doesn't work out, I think the Habs would be able to put him back on waivers and since they are currently the second to last team: he could be sent to Laval :)

Chiarot-Juulsen wouls be a great 3rd pair ! Having Romanov-Savard :)

Edited by alfredoh2009
added idea of how it may work out

10 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

If he doesn't work out, I think the Habs would be able to put him back on waivers and since they are currently the second to last team: he could be sent to Laval :)

If the Habs claimed Juulsen and re-waived him later in camp, it's likely that Florida would simply reclaim him at that time (he has to go through full waivers each time).  As they're the one losing the player, they're the team with the potential to claim him and send him to the minors if no one else puts a claim in at that time.  That's usually what happens in these situations.

47 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

If the Habs claimed Juulsen and re-waived him later in camp, it's likely that Florida would simply reclaim him at that time (he has to go through full waivers each time).  As they're the one losing the player, they're the team with the potential to claim him and send him to the minors if no one else puts a claim in at that time.  That's usually what happens in these situations.

ah! thanks, I was confused (obviously)

If Juulsen is healthy, he is a better option than Wideman; and he would be great in the lineup:

Edmundson-Petry

Romanov-Savard

Chiarot-Juulsen

and Kulak rotating in/out of the lineup

Wideman and Niku can be waived and if not claimed they would provide excellent depth to the  Habs!

So here's the thing with Juulsen - he hardly played at all last season (4 games with Florida).  If you go back to the last two seasons combined (NHL and AHL), it's 22 games.  There's really no way to know if Juulsen still has any upside remaining.  Florida's back end isn't all that strong and they're waiving him quickly, fully knowing that he needs regular reps to get there.  He's not getting that in the NHL.

I'm no Chris Wideman fan but I'd have him ahead of Juulsen in terms of ability to help a team now.  Niku would also be ahead at this stage simply because he hasn't missed a bunch of time due to concussion and vision trouble.  I'd also be leery of claiming Juulsen knowing they don't have a lot of space under LTIR once Byron's back and I'd hate to see a big chunk of that go towards someone who very well could be on IR for big chunks of the year.  I like Juulsen but the worst thing career-wise that could happen for him is to be claimed and moved into a 7/8 role which is where he'd be with the Habs.

If you want to add a former Hab d-man on waivers, wait for Cale Fleury to be made available.  I'm not sure he cracks Seattle's opening roster.

13 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

If you want to add a former Hab d-man on waivers, wait for Cale Fleury to be made available.  I'm not sure he cracks Seattle's opening roster.

I like that idea. Let's bring Fleury back :)

To LAK:

Kulak (LD, $1.85M/1yr) and Ylonen

To MTL:

Sean Walker (RD, $2.65M/3yr)

Montreal gets a 3rd pair puck moving defenseman capable of playing in the NHL this year, more established than Niku and Widemand

Los Angeles gets a good LD that can play in the two pottom D pairs and a forward prospect with good offensive potential.

I don't know where to post this, so here it goes:

Is Ryan MacInnis a more viable option to center the 4th line than Poehling?

He seems to be projected to be an NHLer but his scoring upside and consistency are in question. He seems to have done ok as a 4th liner in CBJ for short periods