Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

Would Dylan Strome be a worthwhile addition ... Spector: Lebrun and Friedman have reported that the Hawks are getting/taking calls on Ryan's little brother ... if so ... Poehling, Lehkonen and Ylonen for Strome ... two prospects and Lehkonen could either fill a role in Chicago or be used in another trade (coaches love his type of player).

7 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Would Dylan Strome be a worthwhile addition ... Spector: Lebrun and Friedman have reported that the Hawks are getting/taking calls on Ryan's little brother ... if so ... Poehling, Lehkonen and Ylonen for Strome ... two prospects and Lehkonen could either fill a role in Chicago or be used in another trade (coaches love his type of player).

There isn't enough money moving the other way.  Yes, the Habs have ample LTIR room now but I think that would put them over when Price/Byron return.

2 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

isn't because he is an antivaxer?

They've been trying to move him for a year and a half.  I don't think it's vaccine-related.

30 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

There isn't enough money moving the other way ...

I am curious ... did the Habs replace Poehling on the 23-man roster?  CapFriendly hasn't updated Poehling's status but unless he was replaced I would have thought Lehkonen ($2.3M) and Poehling ($750K) would cover Strome's ($3M) AAV.

10 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Curious ... did the Habs replace Poehling on the 23-man roster?  CapFriendly hasn't updated Poehling's status but unless he was replaced I would have thought Lehkonen ($2.3M) and Poehling ($750K) would cover Strome's ($3M) AAV.

That's not the issue (and they didn't replace him yet, Niku will get that spot once activated).  That's with Price ($10.5M) on LTIR.  They're fine for that.  I'm talking about when he's off LTIR and it's Weber ($7.857M) as the only one on LTIR.  With a fully healthy roster (less Weber), they don't have much wiggle room and the little they have needs to be short-term injury insurance.  They're basically in a spot where they want to come very close to matching money in a trade.  That matching money has to come from players that will be on the fully healthy roster (not Poehling/Brooks/Belzile/Montembeault).

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

That's not the issue (and they didn't replace him yet, Niku will get that spot once activated).  That's with Price ($10.5M) on LTIR.  They're fine for that.  I'm talking about when he's off LTIR and it's Weber ($7.857M) as the only one on LTIR.  With a fully healthy roster (less Weber), they don't have much wiggle room and the little they have needs to be short-term injury insurance.  They're basically in a spot where they want to come very close to matching money in a trade.  That matching money has to come from players that will be on the fully healthy roster (not Poehling/Brooks/Belzile/Montembeault).

Thanks for the clarification ... makes sense

It would be wonderful if Bowman was a BIG fan of Paul Byron ... I'd even throw in a draft pick ... but I doubt Stan would give that a second thought.

Would then pretty much come down to Armia leaving ... despite his usefulness, he is a very pricey 4th liner once everyone is healthy ... tough call.

If you still want Strome, perhaps there's another way.  Chicago is shopping Andrew Shaw's contract as they want to get out of LTIR and be able to accrue cap space.  If the Habs are committed to using that for all of this season (which will probably yield a bigger bonus penalty than last season), they could pick up Shaw in the deal as well. 

They currently have enough LTIR room to absorb that deal; he'd then be added to the pool and when Price/Byron return, they'd still have an LTI pool of $11.75M to work with.  That'd be enough to safely absorb the difference between Lehkonen and Strome's salaries.  It would just depend on what the plus is with Lehkonen for also taking on Shaw's AAV and if the Habs are comfortable locking in the bigger carryover penalty which, if Weber is indeed done for next season as well, could be absorbed into Shaw's AAV as he has another year on his deal.

Wouldn’t shopping Shaw put them dangerously close to the cap if Strome is traded?

To the best of my knowledge, there is no benefit of LTIR unless the team is at the cap.  Currently, Shaw’s LTIR is what allows Strome’s $3m contract to work under the cap, so if they trade both, the are $875k from the cap without the ability to exceed it, like with the Shaw contact.

Or am correct so it makes the trade more valuable as the can trade Strome with the cap space, $3m of Shaw’s contract, so any team can afford it to get a bigger return.

1 hour ago, TurdBurglar said:

Wouldn’t shopping Shaw put them dangerously close to the cap if Strome is traded?

To the best of my knowledge, there is no benefit of LTIR unless the team is at the cap.  Currently, Shaw’s LTIR is what allows Strome’s $3m contract to work under the cap, so if they trade both, the are $875k from the cap without the ability to exceed it, like with the Shaw contact.

That's what they're aiming for.  They want to get out from being in it and actually try to bank some cap space.  They have a lot of regulars with bonuses in their contract and they're trying to avoid (or reduce) the bonus overage penalty at a minimum and if they stay healthy and bank some space between now and the deadline, then they give themselves an opportunity to add a piece.  It also would get them out of being in the same situation as this season.

Do we think bergy is looking to fill 3C or try and fix the D situation via trade?

Only forwards I see moving would be Lehkonen or maybe Armia...

On defense given the term we have on guys maybe he trades for a pending UFA? Flips Kulak or something for one since the team never has trusted him?

Any of these names inspiring?

Det: Leddy, DeKeyser

Buff: Butcher, Miller, Hagg

Nashville: Boroweicki

Columbus: Kukan

NJ: Subban lol

Edited by Plutarch

5 hours ago, Plutarch said:

Do we think bergy is looking to fill 3C or try and fix the D situation via trade?

Neither at this moment.

Would be a big deal needed to actually upgrade the d and assume 3 games lost isnt gonna cause any real panic or cause him to make a deal he didnt or couldnt make in Aug or Sept. 

15 minutes ago, DON said:

Neither at this moment.

Would be a big deal needed to actually upgrade the d and assume 3 games lost isnt gonna cause any real panic or cause him to make a deal he didnt or couldnt make in Aug or Sept. 

Agree 100% with your assessment.  It's only been 3 games. I wouldn't want a GM that went into panic mode every time the team lost 3 in a row. 

16 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Agree 100% with your assessment.  It's only been 3 games. I wouldn't want a GM that went into panic mode every time the team lost 3 in a row. 

Agreed ... but that said, he could have been working on a deal since before the first game (e.g., the oft rumoured desire of Chicago to move Dylan Strome) and it only now comes to fruition ... so I don't TOTALLY exclude the possibility of a trade

• 2 weeks later...

Saw this, and thought

<

Edmundson is on the verge of being reactivated, when that happens I would:

trade to LAK, Kulak

to MTL Jaret Anderson-Dolan, 2023 conditional 2nd round if Kulak plays 41 games

I think the LAK has room if they move Walker to LTIR

the Habs would get a waiver exempt centre that would provide depth along with Poehling and Brooks. Out of the three, one should emerge as the clear 3C later this season.

They want a right-shot defender, not a lefty.  Kulak isn't worth the 2nd rounder on its own let alone Anderson-Dolan who is one of their better prospects.  Kulak's trade value is a late-round pick (maybe a mid-rounder with 50% retention at the deadline), not someone who could yield two impressive pieces.  The Habs don't want Kulak - they're not getting much, if any, value in a trade as a result.

3 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Saw this, and thought

<

Edmundson is on the verge of being reactivated, when that happens I would:

trade to LAK, Kulak

to MTL Jaret Anderson-Dolan, 2023 conditional 2nd round if Kulak plays 41 games

I think the LAK has room if they move Walker to LTIR

the Habs would get a waiver exempt centre that would provide depth along with Poehling and Brooks. Out of the three, one should emerge as the clear 3C later this season.

I doubt if it get could get a 3rd rounder for Kulak. 

13 hours ago, dlbalr said:

They want a right-shot defender, not a lefty.  Kulak isn't worth the 2nd rounder on its own let alone Anderson-Dolan who is one of their better prospects.  Kulak's trade value is a late-round pick (maybe a mid-rounder with 50% retention at the deadline), not someone who could yield two impressive pieces.  The Habs don't want Kulak - they're not getting much, if any, value in a trade as a result.

10 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I doubt if it get could get a 3rd rounder for Kulak. 

I am overvaluing a Habs player on a trade again. If Kulak plays well on this roadtrip, IMHO he will increase hos trade value. The Habs do not show confidence on him, but he has good advanced stats and when he is playing with confidence he is a viable #4 on a bottom 10 team.

We are that team right now, and I think we can do a hockey trade where the Habs send him to a team with too many centre prospects like LAK.

Anderson-Dolan may become a 3rd line winger for LAK, he would be a good 3C prospect for MTL

45 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

... If Kulak plays well on this roadtrip, IMHO he will increase hos trade value ...

Perhaps ... but IMHO likely not to the level of getting Anderson-Dolan, or perhaps even a 2nd rounder ... I expect it would take a much longer stretch of very strong play to elevate his trade potential to that kind of return.

One might note that Kulak is currently the top-scoring Habs D-man, with three points from eight games (although Niku does beat him on the points/game basis). Kulak, Wideman and Niku are the only D-men better than +0.

I'm not quite sure what this tells us, though. Except that Petry and Chiarot, in particular, have not been performing at the expected level.

What are the chances of us landing Eichel, on a quantity vs quality type deal??

the names being thrown around in Calgary don’t make sense to me from a Buffalo perspective, considering  the limited years of tram control (ie Tkachuk- who I really can’t see resigning in Buffalo). 

Buffalo needs a centre back, leadership, D prospects, and picks.

could a deal like Dvorak, Gallagher, Romanov, a 1st (excluding our pick if it’s a lottery this year, and whatever we owe the Coyotes - if coyotes get our 1st next year, this years first wr have from the canes goes to Buffalo). Is that enough for a basis for a deal??

20 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

the names being thrown around in Calgary don’t make sense to me from a Buffalo perspective, considering  the limited years of tram control (ie Tkachuk- who I really can’t see resigning in Buffalo). 

could a deal like Dvorak, Gallagher, Romanov, a 1st (excluding our pick if it’s a lottery this year, and whatever we owe the Coyotes - if coyotes get our 1st next year, this years first wr have from the canes goes to Buffalo). Is that enough for a basis for a deal??

By the sounds of it, that trade you are proposing, Buffalo would jump on. 

28 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Notwithstanding that Gallagher likely has Buffalo on his no-trade list (and that Buffalo wouldn't want that contract), your proposal isn't as good as the one Calgary has which includes a first-round pick (I believe unprotected unlike your proposal), a first-round prospect, and two other good prospects.  That's a better fit for them than a series of more win-now assets that don't fit the timeline they're looking for.  Tkachuk's control is an issue as you've identified but he could be flipped for other future assets.  And Montreal would need to pay a higher premium for an in-division trade and consent to Eichel's desired surgery which few teams are willing to do (that's why it's basically Calgary and Vegas; only one or two others are willing to sign off apparently).

19 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Notwithstanding that Gallagher likely has Buffalo on his no-trade list (and that Buffalo wouldn't want that contract), your proposal isn't as good as the one Calgary has which includes a first-round pick (I believe unprotected unlike your proposal), a first-round prospect, and two other good prospects.  That's a better fit for them than a series of more win-now assets that don't fit the timeline they're looking for.  Tkachuk's control is an issue as you've identified but he could be flipped for other future assets.  And Montreal would need to pay a higher premium for an in-division trade and consent to Eichel's desired surgery which few teams are willing to do (that's why it's basically Calgary and Vegas; only one or two others are willing to sign off apparently).

Is it really because they are the only two teams willing to sign off on the surgery, or the only two willing to give up significant assets to acquire Eichel - given the risks. 

Valamacki is reported to be one of the other significant assets, and there is no guarantee that he will be that much better than Romanov. If Buffalo is on Gallagher’s no trade list, that would be the bigger stumbling block. As far as tkachuk, from the talk in town here, he is going to play out to free agency. Sabres need control, and guys who they aren’t going to be in a situation or to have to trade or lose for nothing. The way Calgary is playing right now, and considering how weak their division is, I don’t think they will be a lottery tram anyways, so no lottery protection doesn’t really matter. If we had to, I’d add another prospect. But the more and more I think about it, I’d be willing to trade anyone but Suzuki, or Caufield, amd roll the dice that in spite of the health risks, Eichal can be the type of player we haven’t had in 40 years.

Not a trade proposal but more of a FA proposal/discussion?
With Chiarot, Kulak, Wideman and Niku UFA's next season....

Anyone rumors of a Subban return on the right side may be in the cards?

Depth puckmoving right shot d? What do people think his $$$ will be?