Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

2 hours ago, DON said:

Not a chance in hell sir.

Both from the aspect of MB & Molson not likely to want him back ... and, from my perspective, that PK seems to have turned into a "dangerous trip" (slew foot/slew leg) machine ... two disciplinary actions in 8 days ... and I seem to recall a third incident earlier this season that went unpunished.

2 hours ago, DON said:

Not a chance in hell sir.

With the current management, you're absolutely right.  But if it's someone different at the helm, one that would be more willing to move someone like Gallagher (with their history, he'd probably want out if Subban returned), there'd be a small chance at least.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

With the current management, you're absolutely right.  But if it's someone different at the helm, one that would be more willing to move someone like Gallagher (with their history, he'd probably want out if Subban returned), there'd be a small chance at least.

To NJD: Gallagher

To MTL: Subban and a 1st

:P

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

What's the Gallagher/Subban history?

29 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I’d do that trade in a heartbeat - especially if there is no lottery protection. Subban’s contract is up at the end of the year, and Gallagher looks like he is going to decline. 

Time to blow it up!  Not just a reset or a rebuild.  No need to wait and see when Price returns.  Blow it up now!

This isn't panic after last night's loss either, but realistically the Habs are like a Battlestar Galactica episode.   

'A rag tag fugitive fleet on a lonely quest...for a shining planet'

Or in this case a win or two....

There is no 'team' in Montreal anymore.  Just a collection of spare parts, thrown together, hoping something clicks.

We have an aging goaltender, a star defenceman who is so badly beat up he most likely will never play again (at least not with out plenty of duct tape!), Gallagher isn't far behind, Drouin who still hasn't shown he is an NHL star (but we keep hoping, and every once in a while when the stars align - there is a sign...)

Then we have a bunch of third and fourth liners....   Armia and Lehknonen will never be the type of players to lead the team.  Anderson, Dvorak, Toffoli and Hoffman aren't either....

Suzuki is the cream of the crop but he is no McDavid or Draisatl....

Then we have Caufield.  Who could be the next Koivu...or could be the next Galchenyuk!   (I'd take Russ Courtnell at this point)

Our blueline is -to put it plainly and honestly - terrible!

Savard is (count on it) the next Alzner.  Edmundson peaked in the playoffs.  Chiarot is...well Chiarot....   Petry is on his way down the hill....   

And Romanov, at least so far, is far from advertised!

There is nothing - nothing - to get excited about on the farm.

So - blow it up.  Go with an AHL team.  We can't do much worse than last night.  And see who rises to the top.  Maybe there is a surprise!  And use the blow up to land picks and prospects.  As many as we can.

And it is time for Timmins to go!  Sorry, but his highness has had a long run - that coincides with the bleakest period in Habs history!  Why are we rewarding that?  Players obviously aren't being developed.  Solid picks are obviously not being made (even a broken clock is right once every 12 hours).  

We have fallen into the Great Canadian Sports Quandry -  Win now, win all the time or the fans and media will roast you!

Time to sit back, fan the flames, get roasted, and BLOW IT UP!

I have been saying for **years** that the Price/Weber window was closing and that as far as I could see, we had very little elite talent in the system to replace them.

I was routinely dismissed as a chronic pessimist by many on this board who bought into Bergevin’s crock of sh*t from 2018 about how we’ll be great in 3-4 years. 

I’ll give MB this much: by some epic wheeling and dealing two summers ago, he managed to give Price/Weber one last chance to reach the Finals before the window slammed shut. He deserves credit for brilliant short-term GMing on that front.

But that last blaze of glory for our aging superstars clearly did not change the deeper, underlying problem of organizational rot. MB sealed our fate in this respect when he traded Sergachev - the ONLY high-impact prospect he ever drafted other than Caufield, and the only hope this blueline had when the elderly combination of Weber/Petry aged out. (We used to hear Romanov described as a near-elite pick, but I no longer believe he will amount to much more than Emelin or Ulanov). 

I see no reason for hope that this team will be anything better than a bubble team for the foreseeable future (e.g., five years forward). This despite the fact that we were garbage from 2016-2020! What we are looking at is a decade of total suckage relieved by one great playoff run in 2021. 

The only thing that could save us from the toxic combination of inadequate on-ice talent and a prospect pool lacking in elite players will be further performances of magical, rabbit-out-of-the-hat GMing along the lines of summer 2020. When the foundation is rotting, you have no choice but to rely on constant, desperate patchwork jobs.

As for blowing it up, I come back to Habs29’s distinction between a retool and a rebuild. Either would be a valid option, but either involve moving out some number of core players to get prospects. It’s a question of degree. And yes - I don’t see how we can justify keeping the same scouting staff. While Timmmins’ record would look better had we kept Sergachev and Mcdonagh, even with those guys, the dearth of height-impact talent is still striking: Price, Patches, Gally, Subban, Sergachev, Mcdonagh, and (maybe) Caufield are the best he has to show for 20 years of work. Meh.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

... I’ll give MB this much: by some epic wheeling and dealing two summers ago, and Covid-19, he managed to give Price/Weber one last chance to reach the Finals before the window slammed shut. He deserves credit for brilliant short-term GMing on that front ...

Made a slight edit ... IMO sans the Covid- realignment last years team doesn't make the playoffs ... but admittedly, my opinion can no more be proven than the opposite opinion that they would have.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

This despite the fact that we were garbage from 2016-2020! What we are looking at is a decade of total suckage relieved by one great playoff run in 2021.

Really, it was a decade of purgatory (as a bubble team), not total suckage (a la Detroit, Buffalo, Edmonton, Ottawa etc). So, for the most part, we got mid-range draft picks only, not the top picks the tanquiste teams got.

4 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Really, it was a decade of purgatory (as a bubble team), not total suckage (a la Detroit, Buffalo, Edmonton, Ottawa etc). So, for the most part, we got mid-range draft picks only, not the top picks the tanquiste teams got.

At least Edmonton, Detroit, and Ottawa see a light at the end of the tunnel and Edmonton has two of the top 5 players on the game.

On 11/4/2021 at 2:10 PM, alfredoh2009 said:

It's nice to dream.  I'd love to be rid of Gallagher's contract, especially for a substantial return, but I can't see it with how bad Gallagher has looked and the term left on his contract.

1 hour ago, Neech said:

Sam Girard is reportedly on the block for the Avs who are looking for a second line winger.  We have a surplus of wings and a hole at LD, not to mention he's a homeboy.

He's not on the block. 

I feel a little responsible for starting this as I was the first one from any aggregator type of site to cite that article and it has blown out of proportion from there over the last couple of days as others have picked it up and not provided the proper context.

The crux of the article is that the writer thinks Girard could be expendable based on how Byram has performed so far.  If they have a spot to fill up front, Girard could be a player going the other way.  Nowhere in that article does it say that he is available or even could be available down the road.  It's an opinion, nothing more.

3 hours ago, dlbalr said:

He's not on the block. 

I feel a little responsible for starting this as I was the first one from any aggregator type of site to cite that article and it has blown out of proportion from there over the last couple of days as others have picked it up and not provided the proper context.

The crux of the article is that the writer thinks Girard could be expendable based on how Byram has performed so far.  If they have a spot to fill up front, Girard could be a player going the other way.  Nowhere in that article does it say that he is available or even could be available down the road.  It's an opinion, nothing more.

This is what I saw. Unfortunately, we'd be sending back a longterm cap hit (unless they want Drouin, which I doubt).

Who can afford Drouin?  
Who needs the extra forward depth, ancillary scoring threat?

His value has to be rebuilding, has a “feel good story” and wonder if this is why they are so quiet on his status? 

10 hours ago, Neech said:

This is what I saw. Unfortunately, we'd be sending back a longterm cap hit (unless they want Drouin, which I doubt).

So he was reportedly involved in talks for Eichel, a franchise player.  Okay - the Habs don't have one of those types of players to move.  It also doesn't mean he's actively being shopped.  And in that tweet, the word 'believe' or 'think' appears three times.  That's speculation, not a valid report that he's on the block.

I don't have a trade proposal, but I am feeling like this today

" Hello, hello, is there trade to make  out there"

(quite appropriate, with the "No more excuses" sign over the stage)

Edited by alfredoh2009

Not really a proposal so much as a musing...but one team that is in straits almost as dire as the Habs in Vancouver. They publicly stated that their goal was to make the playoffs this year, but they are floundering. Their young core is playing awful and I wonder whether Dim Jim Benning could be tempted to shake it up.

Is there a deal here? E.g., could we maybe pluck Boeser in return for someone like Petry+? I dunno, just wondering.

15 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Not really a proposal so much as a musing...but one team that is in straits almost as dire as the Habs in Vancouver. They publicly stated that their goal was to make the playoffs this year, but they are floundering. Their young core is playing awful and I wonder whether Dim Jim Benning could be tempted to shake it up.

Is there a deal here? E.g., could we maybe pluck Boeser in return for someone like Petry+? I dunno, just wondering.

Vancouver did have high expectations this year, something is going to happen there. 

22 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

6 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Vancouver did have high expectations this year, something is going to happen there. 

Would be wonderful if they thought the needed Price and Gallagher.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Boeser is a RW which is where the Habs have plenty of organizational depth already (Toffoli, Anderson, Caufield, Gallagher, and Armia).  He also has a poison pill with a $7.5M qualifying offer that he can take and go straight to UFA in 2023.

50 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Would be wonderful if they thought the needed Price and Gallagher.

Absolutely 100% agree on that. That would definitely help the rebuild. Habs would have to take on a contract or 2 to make that work and that might be the deal killer.  I guess we could take on Hughes.  LOL

Looking at the WSH lineup, and their roster, I figured that it would be nice if we could make this trade:

To WSH: Armia ($3.4M/4y)

To MTL: Eller ($3.5M/2yr) and 2nd round pick in 2022

The Caps get a solid RW that can help them right now while Mantha is out. He is younger than Eller and is signed for 4 years. He will be a good asset for them in the playoffs and help them during the season on the PK and secondary scoring on the odd night

MTL gets off two years of Armia off their books, can send Poehling to Laval to continue developing and if WSH accepts, they get a good pick on the draft.

• Upvote 1