Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

4 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

unless you want to use Savard in full tank mode... :ph34r: just saying

You mean Petry ISN'T in full tank mode?
😉

1 hour ago, DON said:

#1 RH d-man, even as bad as he is playing, cant be dealt without a top 4 RH d-man being traded for.

If he can just get closer to his normal form, Petry could command a king's ransom at the deadline. 

And who cares how bad our D becomes this season? We're already on track to be one of the worst Habs' teams ever assembled. If you can deal Petry and his contract for an impactful return (analogous to what we did with Patches) then strike first and sort out the D later.

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

unless you want to use Savard in full tank mode... :ph34r: just saying

I guess, but is next year or two to consider and filling top 2 RH spots, with no one in the pipeline could be big problem.

1 minute ago, DON said:

I guess, but is next year or two to consider and filling top 2 RH spots, with no one in the pipeline could be big problem.

Trade Petry (assuming improvement) and Chiarot at deadline. That leaved Edmundson and Savard, plus Romanov. Norlinder should be ready next year. Then it's a choice of Kulak, Brook, Niku, Wideman and whoever is available on the open market (hopefully not a 30+ plodder). Guhle should surely spend a year in the AHL.

I buy into the concept of matching up two D-men with different styles, so ideally we should have three Clydesdales and three puck-movers.

2 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

... Edmundson and Savard, plus Romanov. Norlinder should be ready next year. Then it's a choice of Kulak, Brook, Niku, Wideman and whoever is available on the open market (hopefully not a 30+ plodder) ...

That would put them in the race for Connor Bedard

17 minutes ago, DON said:

Yes, need at least 1 top pairing quality d, i would think.

With ... HOPEFULLY ... Shane and Connor they could trade one of those two or Suzuki or (in a package) Dvorak for a legit top-pairing D.

What’s the hype on Shane Wright?  I watched a couple of his game and he had major, bone-headed defensive lapses in both games.  A few of which lead to goals.  

One of which he let a guy just skate past him in on the inside the neutral zone, didn’t do anything or even attempt to chase.  All while having body position and everything.

He, honestly, reminds me of Yakupov.

9 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

What’s the hype on Shane Wright?  I watched a couple of his game and he had major, bone-headed defensive lapses in both games.  A few of which lead to goals.  

One of which he let a guy just skate past him in on the inside the neutral zone, didn’t do anything or even attempt to chase.  All while having body position and everything.

He, honestly, reminds me of Yakupov.

Wright the clear-cut top choice in McKenzie's first 2022 Draft Ranking
by Bob McKenzie

Let’s make one thing clear from the get-go: The 2022 NHL Draft is the Shane Wright Draft.

The Kingston Frontenacs’ centre is the unanimous No. 1 on TSN’s Pre-Season 2022 NHL Draft Rankings. Ten out of 10 scouts surveyed by TSN identified the 6-foot, 185-pound Burlington, Ont., native as the clear-cut choice.And, until further notice, they say it’s not even close ...

Doubt 2 games constitutes further notice.

1 hour ago, DON said:

Next year seems so far away, that I would make the change this year and take a chance. Specially if the Habs can get a very good return on Petry and if he gets the chance to win a cup with another team.

Just now, DON said:

Hope Edmundson coming back gets Petry going.:pray:

Agreed ... but I wonder if one practice is enough to put him in tomorrow night.

21 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Agreed ... but I wonder if one practice is enough to put him in tomorrow night.

17 minutes ago, DON said:

3games in 4 nights upcoming.

Not certain what you are saying ... he still has only had one practice after being out all season to date ... and "need" is not a reason to play someone if they aren't ready.

11 hours ago, Commandant said:

I thought he was practicing for about a week.  I thought this was just his first practice in the top 6

I thought it was skating versus actual practicing ... or if practicing, in a non-contact sweater

29 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

I thought it was skating versus actual practicing ... or if practicing, in a non-contact sweater

I saw he was non-contact at optional practice maybe a week ago, then saw listed in top six at practice, yesterday/day before?

2 minutes ago, DON said:

I saw he was non-contact at optional practice maybe a week ago, then saw listed in top six at practice, yesterday/day before?

Believe it was yesterday ... so one REAL day of practice

5 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Believe it was yesterday ... so one REAL day of practice

While Ducharme doesn't expect to have the veteran bluelinder in the lineup against the Sabres on Friday night, things are clearly trending in the right direction in his case.

To VAN:

Gallagher 

Petry

To MTL:

Boeser 

Myers 

Hamonic 

Win now move for VAN, we get longterm cap relief and a potential building block in Boeser.  Our D becomes even more of a tire fire in the short term.

22 hours ago, Neech said:

To VAN:

Gallagher 

Petry

To MTL:

Boeser 

Myers 

Hamonic 

Win now move for VAN, we get longterm cap relief and a potential building block in Boeser.  Our D becomes even more of a tire fire in the short term.

I'm all over this. Plus the comedy of watching that D would be hard to beat.

On the other hand, Brian has noted that "Boeser also has a poison pill with a $7.5M qualifying offer that he can take and go straight to UFA in 2023." So I guess we're looking at paying him a minimum of 7.5 on a longer term deal, which maybe isn't great for an injury-prone 30-goal scorer.

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

... On the other hand, Brian has noted that "Boeser also has a poison pill with a $7.5M qualifying offer that he can take and go straight to UFA in 2023." So I guess we're looking at paying him a minimum of 7.5 on a longer term deal, which maybe isn't great for an injury-prone 30-goal scorer.

Of course they would be losing Gallagher's $6.5M AAV in return for a player:

• 5 years younger (4 years and 325 days to be exact, ignoring leap years)
  • 4 inches taller
  • 24 pounds heavier
  • who scored at a 30+/82 games pace in 4 times in his NHL career (6th season this year) versus Gallagher's hitting the 30 pace first in his 6th season
  • who got 65+ points in 4 of his 6 seasons versus Gallagher doing it once ih nis first 6 season

A $7.5M extension might not be totally out of place despite the injury issue ... it would depend on a medical analysis of his past issues ... also, I think that Brian's caution may have been in response to a proposal that did not remove as much AAV from the Habs ... of course the M-NTCs for Meyers and Hamonic are also problematic.

11 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Of course they would be losing Gallagher's $6.5M AAV in return for a player:

• 5 years younger (4 years and 325 days to be exact, ignoring leap years)
  • 4 inches taller
  • 24 pounds heavier
  • who scored at a 30+/82 games pace in 4 times in his NHL career (6th season this year) versus Gallagher's hitting the 30 pace first in his 6th season
  • who got 65+ points in 4 of his 6 seasons versus Gallagher doing it once ih nis first 6 season

A $7.5M extension might not be totally out of place despite the injury issue ... it would depend on a medical analysis of his past issues ... also, I think that Brian's caution may have been in response to a proposal that did not remove as much AAV from the Habs ... of course the M-NTCs for Meyers and Hamonic are also problematic.

Yeah, I’d still do the deal.

In another thread I posit that our goal should be to contend by the time Slick Nick is 27-28. That would place Boeser toward the end of his likely prime years (29-30). But I still think the opportunity to pick up Boeser (assuming Van is receptive) should be seized. Yes, he has limitations (contract, injury history) - but that’s why he might possibly be available. 

27 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

My concern was partly contractual and partly positional.  He's a RW and the team still has Anderson, Toffoli, Caufield, and Armia (with Gallagher gone in this proposal).  If you're going to consider committing $7.5M or more long term, he needs to be a top player and with some of those others in fold, that's not a given especially with how he has played this year.

From a money perspective, this proposal doesn't work for Montreal as things currently stand both this season and next with their current cap situation.  They can't add afford to add money this season (when Price/Byron return, they can't afford a full-sized roster) or next (they already need to clear up cap room to cover Suzuki's extension).

I tend to agree that it doesn't make sense from a positional point of view. Unless one or more of Anderson, Toffoli or Armia is going to be gone soon, too, which is certainly possible, too, with all of them in their late 20s already.

As for contracts, though, I'm pretty sure a bunch of them are going to be gone by the time this season is over and Gorton starts his rebuild, and I don't expect cap space to be an issue for the short to mid term.