Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

How to make a Price trade if we're going to blow this up.  Price has 5 years left on his contract which works out great for us in a 5 year rebuild plan because we can eat the max amount of his contract and it will come off the books right when we're ready to come out of the rebuild. So now Price becomes a much easier trade for team's at a cap hit at 5.5mil then 10mil over the next 5 years. So if I'm Edmonton I need to improve on the D side of things and in net, i give Montreal a call and offer them this deal 

To Habs
2 1st  round picks , 2nd round pick Ceci, Koskinen, Foegele 

To Edmonton 

Price, Lehkonen and Chiarot 

This trade would improve Edmonton and put them as a cup favorite.

Habs can then move Ceci and Foegele else where.

17 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

How to make a Price trade if we're going to blow this up.  Price has 5 years left on his contract which works out great for us in a 5 year rebuild plan because we can eat the max amount of his contract and it will come off the books right when we're ready to come out of the rebuild. So now Price becomes a much easier trade for team's at a cap hit at 5.5mil then 10mil over the next 5 years. So if I'm Edmonton I need to improve on the D side of things and in net, i give Montreal a call and offer them this deal 

To Habs

To Edmonton 

Do we have the room to buy out a horrible contract? If we can take back an egregious contract, then trading Price might still make sense provided we get back high picks/impact prospects. Hell, I'd be happy to receive one blue-chip prospect with everything else being a wash. 

37 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Do we have the room to buy out a horrible contract? If we can take back an egregious contract, then trading Price might still make sense provided we get back high picks/impact prospects. Hell, I'd be happy to receive one blue-chip prospect with everything else being a wash. 

We have the room to eat up bad contracts to make them easier to trade IE Price we eat $4.50mil Gallagher we eat  3.5mil, Savard we eat at 1.5mil , Armia we eat at 1.5mil , Edmundson  we eat at 1.5mil. Drouin we eat 2.5mil. 

It would make those  contracts  easier to trade we could ask for  higher end prospects and picks in return for taking on that much of the contract. Then by the time our rebuild is done all that money comes off the books. Would also help us stay at the cap floor.  That would probably be the best way to do this rebuild with a lot of bad contracts on our team. 

29 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

We have the room to eat up bad contracts to make them easier to trade IE Price we eat $4.50mil Gallagher we eat  3.5mil, Savard we eat at 1.5mil , Armia we eat at 1.5mil , Edmundson  we eat at 1.5mil. Drouin we eat 2.5mil ...

I assume you mean we can eat money on three of those contracts as teams can only have retained salary for three contracts on their books in any one season ...  I don't expect any of the big name/money contracts to move THIS trade deadline ... depending how Price, Byron and other cap question marks work out, this season they could PERHAPS retain money on Chiarot to optimize the number of bidders and the return ... maybe Lehkonen as well; and/or, if the numbers work, then perhaps be the middleman to retain salary in a pending UFA trade.

5 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

As I recall, a team is only permitted to retain money on three contracts at a time. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Oh okay didn't realize that but then we do Price, Gallagher, Armia this year 

Savard, Edmudson, Byron next year

At the end of our rebuild we would have over 20mil in cap space.  Hopefully we can draft an elite 1st line center and elite RD and LD to add to our younger new cord group of players. 

3 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

At the end of our rebuild we would have over 20mil in cap space.  Hopefully we can draft an elite 1st line center and elite RD and LD to add to our younger new cord group of players. 

To my understanding, players occupy the "retained salaries" slots until their contracts expire ... so Price would be on there for four more seasons, Edmundson two more seasons and Byron one more.

45 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

To my understanding, players occupy the "retained salaries" slots until their contracts expire ... so Price would be on there for four more seasons, Edmundson two more seasons and Byron one more.

That's my understanding, too. So, retaining salary on three transactions will potentially handicap you for multiple years.

2 hours ago, Habsfan89 said:

To Habs

To Edmonton 

Don’t think the cap would work without retaining 50% of Price’s contract as well, so the question yikes have to ask is $5m for 4 years worth a 1st round pick by itself?  I don’t believe it is.

I think a more realistic trade is Allen for Koskinen and a 1st/2nd maybe a throw in prospect, while Edmonton retains salary to make it work under the cap.

I’ve been thinking of Edmonton wants Chiarot as well, with a bit of retention on both ends for Chiarot and Allen, they could do;

Allen + Chiarot

for

Koskinen + Broberg 

Adding filler picks to even if either way.  Edmonton gets a goalie and a top-4 defenseman and gives up their best defense prospect.  Montreal should go for a 1st as well but Broberg would be the prize.  I don’t think Price can work under the cap.

2 hours ago, Habsfan89 said:

To Habs

To Edmonton 

That’s a horrible trade for us. Chiarot on his own should be a 1st+.

if we are eating that amount of term on Price, AND throwing in Lekhonan, it would be stupid not to demand Bouchard, Broberg, or other top prospects along with the picks.

Regarding retention slots:

- It's a maximum of three per team at any time in place until the end of the league year (usually June 30). 

- No more than 50% can be retained on an individual player. 

- No more than 15% of the salary cap can be retained at any time (so Montreal's cumulative annual maximum retainable is $12.25 million).

- When you retain on a player, it's for the duration of the contract.  Montreal can't say they'll retain on Price this year and then not the rest of the way.  It's either retain for the rest of the contract or don't retain at all.

Hopefully that clarifies things for everyone.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Regarding retention slots:

- It's a maximum of three per team at any time in place until the end of the league year (usually June 30). 

- No more than 50% can be retained on an individual player. 

- No more than 15% of the salary cap can be retained at any time (so Montreal's cumulative annual maximum retainable is $12.25 million).

- When you retain on a player, it's for the duration of the contract.  Montreal can't say they'll retain on Price this year and then not the rest of the way.  It's either retain for the rest of the contract or don't retain at all.

Hopefully that clarifies things for everyone.

It definitely clarifies things. Thanks 

4 hours ago, Habsfan89 said:

No

Once price is retained he counts as 1 of the 3 for the rest of his contract.  You only get that spot back after his deal expires.

I keep being lured into the fantasy of trading Price for a high-value prospect, but the realities of his contract pretty much cause me to crash back to earth every time. The smart money says he'll retire a Hab *unless* he wants out really badly.

15 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I keep being lured into the fantasy of trading Price for a high-value prospect, but the realities of his contract pretty much cause me to crash back to earth every time. The smart money says he'll retire a Hab *unless* he wants out really badly.

I think if we retained salary, Edmonton may be a fit, and took back Koskinan+, Edmonton may be a fit if they continue to lose. They can’t afford to do lousy in the playoffs, or even worse miss the playoffs, so we may be able to get high end picks and prospects. Straight up, I think Price has zero value. By retaining salary for that many years, we should be able to get a really high return. I think a change in scenery would also probably be the best thing for Price as well.

14 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

No question his contract makes it difficult, the only way to get something decent back is to eat a chunk of his contract. If I am a betting man I would bet he doesn't get traded, very unlikely this year.  You need a partner that badly needs to win and needs a big upgrade in goal.  In my opinion that team is Edmonton but it's still complicated.  It's fun to talk though.

Edmonton has to do something, Holland will get absolutely roasted if he does nothing. 

28 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I think if we retained salary, Edmonton may be a fit, and took back Koskinan+, Edmonton may be a fit if they continue to lose. They can’t afford to do lousy in the playoffs, or even worse miss the playoffs, so we may be able to get high end picks and prospects. Straight up, I think Price has zero value. By retaining salary for that many years, we should be able to get a really high return. I think a change in scenery would also probably be the best thing for Price as well.

I agree with everything you said. Straight up we couldn't give him away, Seattle could have had him for nothing.  But if we retain part of his contract then things are different. He can still be a difference maker in the playoffs, assuming he is healthy. 

50 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

But why does Edmonton (or anyone, for that matter) give up "a really high return" for a 34-year-old who hasn't played all year, may not play at all this year, and has statistically been below average in three of the last four regular seasons?  I'm just playing the other side here but Edmonton shouldn't be giving up the types of picks/prospects for Montreal to justify retaining $5.25M in a cap hit for four years.  A trade with 50% retention for that long is not the slightest bit feasible for Montreal and isn't for Edmonton with their future cap situation either.  Allen is the goalie they more realistically need, not Price.  He's easier to fit in on the cap and would represent an upgrade on what they have now.  That's the type of goalie move they can afford to make (him, Georgiev, etc), not taking on Price for a hefty future-based return with salary offsets that only last a year or two.

The path to trading Price now (which isn't really all that realistic) is to find a team with an underperforming high-priced starter that's willing to swap that player and another asset for Price at a lot less than 50% retention because of the high-priced starter going the other way.  The one that comes to mind is Seattle - with the year they've had and Grubauer playing lousy, does that change their approach to make them more open to Price?  If the Habs retained, say, 20% ($2.1M), that's only a net increase to Seattle's cap of $2.5M - one they can afford - and they get out of the contract a year sooner than Grubauer.  And with Price waiving his NMC for expansion, perhaps he's open to considering Seattle.  The lower retention makes that other asset much more realistic, not an elite prospect/high pick, etc.  Maybe it's a shorter-term salary offset.  That's not a really high return but such a return isn't going to be on the table.

The notion of the Habs retaining 50% on Price in order to get a top-notch return sounds good in theory but in practicality, it makes little sense.  No team is parting with multiple high-end future assets for a player whose health is in question and whose recent regular season track record isn't great.  Montreal, meanwhile, isn't retaining $5.25M in cap hit (plus the related salary and signing bonus, actual money which is a real factor here) for a collection of middling assets which is what teams would be offering for him at this time.  This is not a good time to trade Price if the goal is to get the best return possible. 

8 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

But why does Edmonton (or anyone, for that matter) give up "a really high return" for a 34-year-old who hasn't played all year, may not play at all this year, and has statistically been below average in three of the last four regular seasons? 

I don't think anyone is saying it's likely to happen but Edmonton is one team where it might be a fit. First of all Price would have to be healthy and ready to play this year or none of this is going to happen. 

You need a team desperate to win and who needs a goaltending upgrade, that's Edmonton.

I disagree with you when you say Edmonton can't fit in Price at 5.25M in the future. If they want good goaltending then they will have to fit someone in, why not Price?  Koskinen's contract expires and they will have to sign someone, Smith is 40.  Do you think there is a goaltender out there who will take Edmonton to the promised land for much less than 5.25M? I don't think so. 

48 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I don't think anyone is saying it's likely to happen but Edmonton is one team where it might be a fit. First of all Price would have to be healthy and ready to play this year or none of this is going to happen. 

You need a team desperate to win and who needs a goaltending upgrade, that's Edmonton.

I disagree with you when you say Edmonton can't fit in Price at 5.25M in the future. If they want good goaltending then they will have to fit someone in, why not Price?  Koskinen's contract expires and they will have to sign someone, Smith is 40.  Do you think there is a goaltender out there who will take Edmonton to the promised land for much less than 5.25M? I don't think so. 

I see where you're going with this.  The problem is the retention.  Retaining $22m of salary has value.  Price at $5.25m has value.  On the flip side, Price is 34, with a history of injuries and his best days behind him.  In a world where Price is $5.25m the return isn't going to be great, a first at absolute best. 

The problem comes in with Montreal needing compensation for the $22m they are paying Price to play for Edmonton.  Montreal wants compensation for it and without it, Price has little value.  Price's value, no matter what way you swing it, is a goalie, with a history of injuries and a cap hit of $10.5m for 4 more years. 

The only way he is valuable right now if his next 4 year's actual salary is far cheaper than his cap hit, going to an Arizona or Ottawa to hit the cap floor without actually paying out that much money.  I know I could look this up to see what it is, but I'm being lazy about this hypothetical situation.  Bottom line is Price won't get traded during this season, maybe at all.

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Next season, Edmonton has about $11M in cap room (after taking Klefbom on LTIR off).  They have to sign 10 players minimum to fill that including an arbitration-eligible Puljujarvi.  They can't have one player take up nearly half of that.

In 2023-24, they have $57M in commitments to 6 players.  The cap is pegged to be $83.5M that season.  That leaves $26.5 million for at least 14 players. considerably less than that after the RFAs sign.  It's not really manageable then either.  They need goalies, yes, but they'll be shopping in the bargain range; I don't think they can commit $5.25M to a goalie tandem given that situation let alone a single starter.

Cheap goalies are what they're going to be looking for out of necessity.  That's not Price.

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

But why does Edmonton (or anyone, for that matter) give up "a really high return" for a 34-year-old who hasn't played all year, may not play at all this year, and has statistically been below average in three of the last four regular seasons?  ...

I agree with your logic, and don't think it is likely that Price gets traded (and almost certainly not this season) ... IMO the possibility of a trade depends on another GM "believing" that Price is the Carey they saw in the 2020-21 playoffs (and the "playoffs" the year before), and not in the three of the last four regular seasons ... desperate GMs sometimes do desperate things ... making around the draft a more likely (if still unlikely) time for a Price trade if an elite team flamed out in the first round. 

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

Next season, Edmonton has about $11M in cap room (after taking Klefbom on LTIR off).  They have to sign 10 players minimum to fill that including an arbitration-eligible Puljujarvi.  They can't have one player take up nearly half of that.

In 2023-24, they have $57M in commitments to 6 players.  The cap is pegged to be $83.5M that season.  That leaves $26.5 million for at least 14 players. considerably less than that after the RFAs sign.  It's not really manageable then either.  They need goalies, yes, but they'll be shopping in the bargain range; I don't think they can commit $5.25M to a goalie tandem given that situation let alone a single starter.

Cheap goalies are what they're going to be looking for out of necessity.  That's not Price.

A cheap goalie is going to get Holland fired and waste the best years of McDavid/Draisaitl.  Whether it's Price or someone else the Oilers need much better goaltending or they aren't going anywhere.  If it means they have to move someone else to do it they will do it.  Holland has shown he is not afraid of veteran goalies as he signed Smith to a 2 year contract and he is 40!  Price is 34. 

The Oilers need better goaltending. It's the most obvious need of any team with hopes of winning the cup. 

2 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

A cheap goalie is going to get Holland fired and waste the best years of McDavid/Draisaitl.  Whether it's Price or someone else the Oilers need much better goaltending or they aren't going anywhere.  If it means they have to move someone else to do it they will do it.  Holland has shown he is not afraid of veteran goalies as he signed Smith to a 2 year contract and he is 40!  Price is 34. 

The Oilers need better goaltending. It's the most obvious need of any team with hopes of winning the cup. 

All of that is true which makes overpaying Duncan Keith for four more years a major mistake. 

53 minutes ago, Commandant said:

All of that is true which makes overpaying Duncan Keith for four more years a major mistake. 

Keith only has 1 more year after this but it is an overpay, his best years are well behind him.  Holland has made some mistakes and has tough decisions to make.  He have up 2 x  2nd round picks for Andreas Athanasiou and he scored a grand total of 1 goal for the Oilers. That's a huge mistake, 2 round picks are valuable, you don't just throw them away. 

Holland could have 1 more bad trade in him and if he does it might as well be with the Habs. He is desperate right now.