Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

Right. So Gorton/Hughes evaluate the offers next month, when the value is at a maximum, and then decide whether the offers are more valuable than keeping Lehkonen on the team.

Which is pretty much the same process that I would expect them to go through for any trade proposal that they receive. Not only do you want to maximize the offer, but you also want to make sure that what you get is more valuable than keeping the player you already have, especially in the context of the rebuild timeline (which they know but we don't).

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Amidst all the love for Lehks, we might keep in mind that he is turning 27 on an expiring contract, with his value at its highest it has ever been by far. If I’m him, I insist on term this time. In terms of cap management, this does not bode well for a “value signing.” 

I don’t know how much that matters on a rebuilding team. All I’m saying is that the folks currently suggesting that we keep Lehks might be the same voices later complaining about his next contract. 

He is almost the prototypical example of a player you should ship out at about this juncture, because a good organization will always have Lehkonens coming up through the system.

Yeah, I like Lekhs, and would have preferred signing him to more term, and wanted him signed long-term rather than Armia. That ship has sailed. Re-signing him now would probably require an Armia, or Byron type overpay.

Better to move him while his value is high.

Given; Habs rebuilding for next while, Leafs contending now.

Are there any realistic trade proposals to be made between these 2 teams, that makes sense?

14 minutes ago, DON said:

Are there any realistic trade proposals to be made between these 2 teams, that makes sense?

Price for Matthews 😁

25 minutes ago, DON said:

I proposed to send Petry there for TJ Brodie and a prospect like Niemela. It didn't stick

I believe Petry would be a great asset for them

31 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I proposed to send Petry there for TJ Brodie and a prospect like Niemela. It didn't stick

I think he would be a better fit in Colorado. He doesn't have to be a top guy or play top mins, play the 2nd pp unit. Plus they have some great young D prospects. Maybe if we took on about 2mil of his contract for a blue chip prospect on D, and bad contract to help them with cap

To Colorado 

Petry plus we take back 2mil of his contract 

To habs

Barron and Compher 

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

The Habs acquiring Brodie doesn't make sense. 

The Leafs giving up Brodie doesn't make sense. 

He's a 31 year old defenceman, who is very good right now. 

7 minutes ago, Commandant said:

The obvious trades with Toronto are 

1) Ben Chiarot

2) Jake Allen

3) Lehkonen. 

All three would fit their roster (not one trade of all three, but one of them... or two at most).

Thanks.

Would have to take contract back i assume and should they look for picks, or prospects from Leafs?

16 minutes ago, DON said:

Thanks.

Would have to take contract back i assume and should they look for picks, or prospects from Leafs?

I'd look at some of their prospects, and we could retain salary on 1 or 3 without much issue as their contracts end this summer.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

But how would we feel if we sent them a key piece and they went on to win the Cup? 

Repost: Frog Prince (Animation Post) – All work is now redirect to  WikiSimpsons (simpsonswiki.com)

It would be a billion times worse than the grief I gave my leads friends for that Courtnall for Kordic trade!

1 hour ago, Habsfan89 said:

... To Colorado 

Petry plus we take back 2mil of his contract ...

That would be $2 million for each of the next three seasons ... teams are only allowed three retained salary contracts in each season ... so could make moving some of the more "challenging" contracts difficult ... and/or limit opportunities to get paid to be the "other" team in deadline deals.

Is Barron that good?  Compher doesn't seem like anything special.

32 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

That would be $2 million for each of the next three seasons ... teams are only allowed three retained salary contracts in each season ... so could make moving some of the more "challenging" contracts difficult ... and/or limit opportunities to get paid to be the "other" team in deadline deals.

Is Barron that good?  Compher doesn't seem like anything special.

If we're rebuilding then taking back money shouldn't be an issue. 

It is an issue cause it limits the number of trades like this that you can make in the future. 

Also the value of retaining 6 million is quite significant based on previous cap space trades, so I want Colorado to pay for that, and in this trade, they aren't even paying enough to be worth Petry, never mind a premium for cap space. 

With 2 million retained, almost every playoff team would take Petry from us, and would pay way more than Compher and Barron. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Habsfan89 said:

I think he would be a better fit in Colorado. He doesn't have to be a top guy or play top mins, play the 2nd pp unit. Plus they have some great young D prospects. Maybe if we took on about 2mil of his contract for a blue chip prospect on D, and bad contract to help them with cap

To Colorado 

Petry plus we take back 2mil of his contract 

To habs

Barron and Compher 

Without the salary retention, this is the type of deal I could see them targeting (and yes, Colorado would need the retention for it to work).  But $6M (plus the rest of this season) in retention is a pretty significant amount of money.  If Hughes was to use a retention slot for that long (which is quite unlikely; there's a reason only a handful of players have ever been retained on for longer than a year and a half), they should be able to get more than that for him based on recent precedent for teams that retained on trades. 

4 hours ago, Commandant said:

yeah, I know.... like I said, it didn't stick

Read this on B/R though it was a smart idea never really thought of it, and it can open the door for us to get more teams in on Petry and get more for him. Their idea was offer up Weber's LTIR in a trade with  Petry to give team's cap room to make the trade. Kinda a smart move. 

8 hours ago, Habsfan89 said:

Read this on B/R though it was a smart idea never really thought of it, and it can open the door for us to get more teams in on Petry and get more for him. Their idea was offer up Weber's LTIR in a trade with  Petry to give team's cap room to make the trade. Kinda a smart move. 

Weber's own AAV counts against his team's cap, eating up whatever LTIR cap space would be created ... don't think the "math" works as suggested.

11 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Weber's own AAV counts against his team's cap, eating up whatever LTIR cap space would be created ... don't think the "math" works as suggested.

Not to mention that such a move then opens the Habs up to potential recapture liability.

3 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Not to mention that such a move then opens the Habs up to potential recapture liability.

For those who are curious, per CapFriendly

2022-23     $5,357,143

2023-24     $7,357,143

2024-25     $7,357,143

2025-26     $7,357,143

2026-27        $500,000

2027-28         $500,000

2028-29         $500,000

2029-30         $500,000

Nashville had 4 years where they paid him $14M but only the $7,857,143 AAV counted against the cap ... Habs had two years where $12M was paid but after that the pay actually dropped below the cap hit.

dlbair: how is the recapture split (rough proportions)?  Seems like most of it should fall to the Preds.

19 hours ago, Commandant said:

These was my thinking on Petry to TOR:

"GM Kyle Dubas said on Sunday that he wants to wait to find out “exactly” what the Maple Leafs need, but just shy of six weeks to the deadline, it appears clear from here. The Leafs need a right-shooting defenseman to partner with Jake Muzzin and shore up Toronto’s second pair."

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/frank-seravalli-trade-deadline-war-room-atlantic-division-objectives/

Habs get a cheaper ($1.25M less) RD), younger (3 years less) and shorter term (1 year less) RD. An upgrade on David Savard ;)

Leafs get an upgrade on their 2nd pair RD:

Petrys    37gp    1g    5a    6p    0.16ppg    22:47toi    -7 (down year on a horrible team)

Brodie's 43gp    3g   8a   11p    0.26ppg    21:00toi    10 (on a stacked team)

Why the Habs should do it IMO: to give our prospects time to develop and to have a veteran RD for a couple of years to shelter them

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

For those who are curious, per CapFriendly

2022-23     $5,357,143

2023-24     $7,357,143

2024-25     $7,357,143

2025-26     $7,357,143

2026-27        $500,000

2027-28         $500,000

2028-29         $500,000

2029-30         $500,000

Nashville had 4 years where they paid him $14M but only the $7,857,143 AAV counted against the cap ... Habs had two years where $12M was paid but after that the pay actually dropped below the cap hit.

dlbair: how is the recapture split (rough proportions)?  Seems like most of it should fall to the Preds.

Those numbers above are the buyout cost (which would be 100% charged to Montreal) - recapture is something different altogether.  The majority of the liability falls on Nashville.  I've broken down the full numbers here if you're interested.

Once Montreal has paid more in cumulative salary to Weber than cumulative cap hit charged, they won't have any outstanding recapture liability.  That won't happen until partway through next season.  If they're going to trade him - which at some point is a real possibility - they'd be wise to wait until after that point if they can.

• Upvote 1

About the chychrun rumors...

How much better would we be next year with him and shane wright (if we win the lottery) on the team + the return of Price and Edmundson? Would it be worth trading next years 1st rounder for Chychrun?

3 minutes ago, Dalhabs said:

About the chychrun rumors...

How much better would we be next year with him and shane wright (if we win the lottery) on the team + the return of Price and Edmundson? Would it be worth trading next years 1st rounder for Chychrun?

Your expectation for Wright might be too high and pick this year probably wont be impact player, next year at least?

And Chychrun would be very expensive, i would assume.

from Bob Mackenzie bit on rankings;

"Here is a sampling of comments from some scouts who still have Wright at No. 1 but are expressing some reservations:

“His engagement has been good, his production underwhelming given the expectations,” one said. “Overall, I could say [Wright] is an above-average prospect but not where you would think a No. 1 overall pick should be.”

“He’s not played with enough urgency or determination,” said another scout. “He’s not been carrying his team or competitive enough in puck battles. He really needs to step it up in the second half.”

“Just alright in my viewings,” said a third scout.

“His performance has not been special in any way,” said a fourth scout, who anticipated Wright would, in fact, be special. “He does not have a lot of energy in his game right now.”

“He has not played with the vigour or passion to score as he has in years past,” said a fifth scout, who feels Wright could solidify No. 1 if he rediscovers his game. “If he plays the way he did [at the U-18] in Texas las year, he’ll run away with No. 1.”

No one doubts Wright has the tools to be a good NHL player, but if he’s going to be No. 1, he will have to demonstrate them on a more consistent basis. But he’s still at the top of the draft pile. Not every scout is sounding the alarm.

“I don’t have a big issue [with his game],” a sixth scout opined. “He is still over a point per game and the problem is a lot of people expect him to be at 2.5 points per game. He’s going to be a second-line centre in the NHL. He’ll be reliable and coaches will love his work ethic, tools and hockey sense.”

And many scouts still rave about his shot and conscientious commitment to play an all-around game, featuring maturity beyond his years when he doesn’t have the puck.

As for Wright’s competition for No. 1, there’s the rub. The feeling amongst scouts is that Wright’s challengers have yet to fully make their own case as a No. 1 overall.

Beyond Wright, or even including him for that matter, it’s not so much welcome to the (2022 draft) jungle as much as it welcome to the “jumble.” There is a wide divergence of opinion from the scouting community on who should be No. 2, as well as the ordering for the top 5 and top 10. It’s all over the hockey map, quite literally, in a heavily Euro-flavoured top 10.

The leading contender to knock Wright off the No. 1 perch is USA Under-18 forward Logan Cooley, a 5-foot-10 centre who is as savvy and skilled offensively as any prospect in the draft. All he appears to lack is being six feet or taller, which is the preferred size standard for an elite No. 1 pivot.