Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

In terms of trading Allen, is that even wise? 

We don’t know with certainty that Carey Price will play again. Even if he does, we don’t know how durable or effective he will be. And even before this latest injury, Price-Montembault would have been a reversion to the terrible pattern of the pre-Allen era, where Price has to play 65 games because the other guy can’t be trusted. Price is too old and too broken-down to be able to do that.

Folks will say “who cares? It’s a rebuild.” But we also want our young players to develop confidence and the belief that their team can compete. Sabotage a team with bad goaltending and you risk undermining the “winning culture” that Hugh-Gort are trying to build. I’d suggests that we want a configuration in net that is at least average. I’m not sure Carey Price and a C-grade goalie can do that.

Given that this team will not be ready to compete before Allen's contract expires, and that he's on a very friendly deal that many teams can get under the cap with, I'm fine with moving him if the return is right and then signing another Backup goalie in the summer. 

4 hours ago, Habsfan89 said:

I think Detroit would be the best trading partner with us in a trade for Petry. It's his home town, they got 10mil in cap space so we wouldn't have to take back any of his salary cap, plus they got 4 ufa's on d so they would need a puck mover like Petry that's under contract. 

If Montreal is going to sell lower than we think, Detroit makes sense.  While they have the money, Yzerman doesn't seem to be interested in adding to his veteran core just yet; they'll be selling at the deadline, not buying.  If it's a straight cap dump, I could see Detroit wanting him but I think they're putting a pretty high price tag on him which probably scares off any non-contenders.

Would PHX do this trade

To PHX 

Petry

To habs 

Our 1st and 2nd picks back, hults and gostisbehere 

Their going to trade Chychrun would need a guy like Petry on the back end or they can flip him somewhere else next year or year after? Taking gostisbehere is to lesson the cap for Arizona so we wouldn't have to take back salary. 🤔

15 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

Would PHX do this trade

To PHX 

Petry

To habs 

Our 1st and 2nd picks back, hults and gostisbehere 

Their going to trade Chychrun would need a guy like Petry on the back end or they can flip him somewhere else next year or year after? Taking gostisbehere is to lesson the cap for Arizona so we wouldn't have to take back salary. 🤔

The Coyotes are in full-scale rebuild.  They'd never trade picks away for a declining veteran.  If they move Chychrun, they'll probably wind up taking a cap dump defenceman back that will be his replacement until their prospects are ready to move up.  Arizona is telling teams that they'll take on big contracts but those deals will need picks attached to them; they're not going to trade picks away to get them.

Any chance Rangers would trade this young guy to Habs, instead of a pick, for an older Hab?

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=202373

Braden Schneider
Defense -- shoots R
Born Sep 20 2001 -- Prince Albert, SASK
[20 yrs. ago]
Height 6.02 -- Weight 202 [188 cm/92 kg]
Drafted by New York Rangers
- round 1 #19 overall 2020 NHL Entry Draft

Braden Schneider hockey player photo

Just saw noted, they have RH Fox & Trouba and some other RH d prospect, so could afford to deal him? And just seems like would be a great fit on rebuilding Habs.

With the news of Muzzin on LTIR, I want to tweak my trade proposal with TOR. I think they will make a desperate move to perform well in the playoff:

To Toronto:

* Jeff Petry (34yr, $6.25M->2025)

To Montreal:

* Holl (30yr, $2,0M ->2023)

* Topi Niemela (RD drafted #64 in 2020)

* 1st round pick in 2022

I really believe Petry is meant to be a Toronto Maple Leaf. He has that blue glow around him... and the white and blue attitude

On 2/8/2022 at 12:11 PM, alfredoh2009 said:

These was my thinking on Petry to TOR:

"GM Kyle Dubas said on Sunday that he wants to wait to find out “exactly” what the Maple Leafs need, but just shy of six weeks to the deadline, it appears clear from here. The Leafs need a right-shooting defenseman to partner with Jake Muzzin and shore up Toronto’s second pair."

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/frank-seravalli-trade-deadline-war-room-atlantic-division-objectives/

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

To Toronto:

* Jeff Petry (34yr, $6.25M->2025)

To Montreal:

* Holl (30yr, $2,0M ->2023)

* Topi Niemela (RD drafted #64 in 2020)

* 1st round pick in 2022

I really believe Petry is meant to be a Toronto Maple Leaf. He has that blue glow around him... and the white and blue attitude

I see your logic, but don't know that Toronto would want three more years of Petry ... per CapFriendly, they only (currently) have $8.7M in cap space for next season with only 13 players on the NHL roster ... Petry would drop that to $4.45M.

AND

Given Petry's very recent improved play (admittedly not difficult) I don't know that (a) a better return might not be available soon and (b) I want to see him with the LAFFS for three seasons.

3 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

I see your logic, but don't know that Toronto would want three more years of Petry ... they only (currently) have $1.7M in cap space for next season with only 10 players on the NHL roster ... AND ... given Petry's very recent improved play (admittedly not difficult) I don't know that (a) a better return might not be available soon and (b) I want to see him with the LAFFS for three seasons.

(b)

he belongs there 

Just now, alfredoh2009 said:

(b)

he belongs there 

Perhaps ... but if gets his head straight I don't really want him playing the Habs in blue&white

11 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Given Petry's very recent improved play (admittedly not difficult) I don't know that (a) a better return might not be available soon and (b) I want to see him with the LAFFS for three seasons.

I think that would be a good return for Petry, I just don't think he would want to go to another Canadian team. 

20 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I think that would be a good return for Petry, I just don't think he would want to go to another Canadian team. 

That's certainly true and as GHT mentioned, they simply can't make the cap work beyond this season.  

2 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

That's certainly true and as GHT mentioned, they simply can't make the cap work beyond this season.  

Yes, Toronto would have some work to do to make it fit next year.  I guess it might depend on what Muzzin decides to do long term if his health is compromised, hopefully he recovers fully. 

Petry is not an easy trade to make to almost any team for just that reason.

I know that the cap doesn't work next season, but the Leafs either make it to the finals or they fire everyone and re-set. In either case, they will need to change their roster and decide if they make room for Petry or not.

2 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I know that the cap doesn't work next season, but the Leafs either make it to the finals or they fire everyone and re-set. In either case, they will need to change their roster and decide if they make room for Petry or not.

Agreed, there is a lot of pressure on the Leafs to advance this year, Dubas must feel like his time is running out.  If Muzzin is on LTIR until the end of the year then it is almost guaranteed they will make a big move this year and try and work things out next year for the cap. 

I thought the trade proposal was pretty reasonable and I would take it if I were the Habs GM. 

11 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Taking a 'we'll worry about the cap next season' approach isn't a viable strategy to team-building (for most teams, at least).  Backing yourself into a corner on the cap would undoubtedly hurt their leverage last summer and Dubas, as we've seen, isn't great in those situations (paying a 1st to getting out of Marleau's contract, caving to Nylander, the deals for Matthews/Marner, etc).  This Muzzin thing gives them some short-term flexibility but if they add someone with term, it'll be for someone on a team-friendly deal.

At any point, it's moot as there's no possible way that Petry, whose trade request stems in part for family reasons due to COVID restrictions, would accept a trade to another Canadian jurisdiction that basically has had the same COVID restrictions as Montreal has.  Kind of defeats the purpose of the trade request.

13 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Taking a 'we'll worry about the cap next season' approach isn't a viable strategy to team-building (for most teams, at least).  Backing yourself into a corner on the cap would undoubtedly hurt their leverage last summer and Dubas, as we've seen, isn't great in those situations (paying a 1st to getting out of Marleau's contract, caving to Nylander, the deals for Matthews/Marner, etc).  This Muzzin thing gives them some short-term flexibility but if they add someone with term, it'll be for someone on a team-friendly deal.

At any point, it's moot as there's no possible way that Petry, whose trade request stems in part for family reasons due to COVID restrictions, would accept a trade to another Canadian jurisdiction that basically has had the same COVID restrictions as Montreal has.  Kind of defeats the purpose of the trade request.

That is true but there have been many examples (Marleau as you pointed out) where teams have taken the  "lets win this year and worry about the cap next year" approach.  Not a great strategy but that approach has happened before and will happen again.  Leafs have about as much pressure to win as any organization right now. 

14 minutes ago, Commandant said:

If they add a RH shot with the Muzzin money, its far more likely to be someone like John Klingberg, whose contract expires in the summer.

Of course that would create a 20+ TOI hole on the blueline of a team chasing a wild card spot ... Petry might then fit there ... I expect Klinberg would only be moved if the Stars plummet and/or if they are certain they cannot re-sign him and need  a longer-term replacement

20 minutes ago, Commandant said:

If they add a RH shot with the Muzzin money, its far more likely to be someone like John Klingberg, whose contract expires in the summer.

Agreed, that would make more sense for the Leafs although it's hard to say what Dallas will do as they are very much in the hunt for a wild card spot. 

32 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Of course that would create a 20+ TOI hole on the blueline of a team chasing a wild card spot ... Petry might then fit there ... I expect Klinberg would only be moved if the Stars plummet and/or if they are certain they cannot re-sign him and need  a longer-term replacement

Dallas has all but admitted that they won't match his asking price, hence Klingberg's trade request.