Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

22 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

I don't think the Habs should be so desperate to clear cap room -- especially as we will have more young players next year and after -- as to basically give away Lehkonen (who will be RFA not UFA this year) and Hoffman.

When Price returns, his LITR goes up. If they do a “transformation” instead of a rebuild they may get a couple of high priced UFAs this summer (Bunny’s job) so I am fine just clearing cap space and giving away Hoffman and Lehkonen. I wish we could ask for a 1st but that seems like too much. I would love to ask for Fabro but he seems to be playing top minutes in NHS

Carrier seems to have more pedigree than (near bust) Allard but given the type of LDs in the Habs pipeline he seems like the complement needed

but heck, what do I know :spamafote:

41 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

When Price returns, his LITR goes up. If they do a “transformation” instead of a rebuild they may get a couple of high priced UFAs this summer (Bunny’s job) so I am fine just clearing cap space and giving away Hoffman and Lehkonen. I wish we could ask for a 1st but that seems like too much. I would love to ask for Fabro but he seems to be playing top minutes in NHS

Carrier seems to have more pedigree than (near bust) Allard but given the type of LDs in the Habs pipeline he seems like the complement needed

but heck, what do I know :spamafote:

Colorado might lose Kadri to UFA this season so maybe they would be willing to take Dvorak as a cheaper replacement for him.  Would clear his cap space off our books .

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

If I read cap friendly correctly, Nashville has lots of cap room. So here goes another trade proposal:

To NSH: Lehkonen($2.3M/UFA'22) and Hoffman($4.5M/'till 2024)

To Montreal: Frederik Allard(RD, $750k/1yr) and a 2nd pick

Habs clear cap room and get a high risk/return RD, they plug the RD prospect pipeline with this trade and Petry's above

Preds get a scorer and a great 2way forward for their playoff hunt. Scoring has been lacking in NSH for a while and this helps their organization until their prospects develop

Unless Hughes knows he's getting a high-quality free agent with the money freed up here, I don't think attaching arguably one of their best trade assets to get out of the two years of Hoffman's deal is the right approach.  If it was Gallagher's contract - a much bigger and onerous one - that'd be one thing but to clear up two years, that's not a great return.

You had Petry in your other proposal but he's a great fit with Nashville as well.  I think they're the best fit for him overall, actually.

19 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

Colorado might lose Kadri to UFA this season so maybe they would be willing to take Dvorak as a cheaper replacement for him.  Would clear his cap space off our books .

The problem for Colorado is that they won't be able to afford to re-sign all of their free agents which inherently means they won't be able to afford Dvorak either; they'll spend most of what they have keeping however many they can keep.  If Kadri walks, I suspect top prospect Alex Newhook will be the new second-line centre with the Avs adding a cheaper third liner to help their depth.

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

If they do a “transformation” instead of a rebuild they may get a couple of high priced UFAs this summer ...

Based on what Gorton and Hughes have said to date, and the fact that they traded away Toffoli, I really don't think they are planning a one-year reset.

But that's just my impression. None of us know this for sure.

2 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Based on what Gorton and Hughes have said to date, and the fact that they traded away Toffoli, I really don't think they are planning a one-year reset.

But that's just my impression. None of us know this for sure.

Honestly I think we just need a Dcore reset we never really have found the replacement to Markov.

54 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

Honestly I think we just need a Dcore reset we never really have found the replacement to Markov.

Honestly I don't think that signing up some UFA D (and shipping out Toffoli, Lehkonen and Hoffman -- or similar) would turn us into a contender for next season and beyond. But that, too, is just my opinion.

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Unless Hughes knows he's getting a high-quality free agent with the money freed up here, I don't think attaching arguably one of their best trade assets to get out of the two years of Hoffman's deal is the right approach.  If it was Gallagher's contract - a much bigger and onerous one - that'd be one thing but to clear up two years, that's not a great return.

I would agree, with Lehkonen you hold out until there is an offer you can't refuse. With Hoffman there is only 2 years left on his contract so I don't see that contract as a big albatross, perhaps next year's trade deadline or the summer you get a decent offer.  Petry, like Lehkonen you hold out for the right offer.  Gallagher will be a tough one to get rid of, MB certainly rewarded him for prior work, he was underpaid at 3.25 now he will be overpaid for a while. 

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

Honestly I don't think that signing up some UFA D (and shipping out Toffoli, Lehkonen and Hoffman -- or similar) would turn us into a contender for next season and beyond. But that, too, is just my opinion.

100% correct.

Habs dont even have 1 all-star forward and havent since Kovalev (and he wasnt even a  top ten scorer). I think this needs to be addressed before become serious about a cup.

(Top Hab Suzuki tied 120th in scoring)

22 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I would agree, with Lehkonen you hold out until there is an offer you can't refuse. With Hoffman there is only 2 years left on his contract so I don't see that contract as a big albatross, perhaps next year's trade deadline or the summer you get a decent offer.  Petry, like Lehkonen you hold out for the right offer.  Gallagher will be a tough one to get rid of, MB certainly rewarded him for prior work, he was underpaid at 3.25 now he will be overpaid for a while. 

Chiarot and Kulak are really the only people we have to trade by the deadline.  We can ask for a 1st round pick, but if its 2:55 pm on trade deadline day and the best offer is a third rounder, you have to move him and take the deal. 

Like CC says in another thread, I'd want to trade Gallagher sooner rather than later before all the other 31 teams realize his value is nil. If someone makes an offer, yeah you dump him now. 

All the rest, we should stick to a fair valuation and if we don't get that before the deadline, they can be traded in the summer... all of them have some value and none of them are tanking their value by keeping them longer.

13 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Chiarot and Kulak are really the only people we have to trade by the deadline.  We can ask for a 1st round pick, but if its 2:55 pm on trade deadline day and the best offer is a third rounder, you have to move him and take the deal. 

Like CC says in another thread, I'd want to trade Gallagher sooner rather than later before all the other 31 teams realize his value is nil. If someone makes an offer, yeah you dump him now. 

All the rest, we should stick to a fair valuation and if we don't get that before the deadline, they can be traded in the summer... all of them have some value and none of them are tanking their value by keeping them longer.

I think the other 31 teams have figured out his value, I expect Gallagher to be a Hab for a while.  However it wouldn't surprise me at all to see Gallagher score 20+ goals again, he is still only 29 (almost 30). The year has been a write off for him, I wouldn't bet against Gallagher having a bounce back year next year. 

12 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I think the other 31 teams have figured out his value, I expect Gallagher to be a Hab for a while.  However it wouldn't surprise me at all to see Gallagher score 20+ goals again, he is still only 29 (almost 30). The year has been a write off for him, I wouldn't bet against Gallagher having a bounce back year next year. 

I agree with the bounce back and him being able to score 20 again in the right situation/line. 

I also think that most teams have figured out that his value is dropping, that said we always see stupid GMs make trades based on reputation and not current play... so if someone wants to give us something and take his full contract, I'd do the deal.  Maybe no one out there is offering that, but I'm hopeful that some GM will make a dumb choice like that.  I'm not expecting much in return though.  

19 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I agree with the bounce back and him being able to score 20 again in the right situation/line. 

I also think that most teams have figured out that his value is dropping, that said we always see stupid GMs make trades based on reputation and not current play... so if someone wants to give us something and take his full contract, I'd do the deal.  Maybe no one out there is offering that, but I'm hopeful that some GM will make a dumb choice like that.  I'm not expecting much in return though.  

That's exactly what we need stupid GM's making dumb choices. Let's keep our fingers crossed for that.  (Not the Habs GM though). 

Bergevin and Danault might "be supportive" of the Kings looking at Gallagher ... yes ... I buy lottery tickets.

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Sure, he may score 20 or more goals again, but how. The issue is for how many of his remaining years is he going to be injury free and be able to do that? The spirit may be willing, but the body is pretty broken down.

6 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Sure, he may score 20 or more goals again, but how. The issue is for how many of his remaining years is he going to be injury free and be able to do that? The spirit may be willing, but the body is pretty broken down.

I don't expect a lot of years, certainly not enough to justify his contract.  Just saying that it wouldn't surprise me to see him score 20 again. I don't think he is over the hill at 29 but his best years are most definitely behind him.  

His serious injuries have all been to his hands, and he's scored 30 after those injuries, so asking for 20 again with the right linemates is certainly possible. 

A better PP in general will also help as he can still bang in goals close to the net. 

4 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

@dlbalr you are right the Petry fits in NSH, but I do not know what I would ask in return for him. 
what ever it takes, just ship the bum out of Montreal 

This isn't a situation where Petry has to go and if he keeps improving under St. Louis, there might be a benefit to holding onto him through the deadline.  Philippe Myers is someone I've thought of as part of a possible return to offset some of the money - he's having a dreadful year but is young enough that a return to some sort of NHL-level form can't be ruled out.

3 hours ago, Commandant said:

I also think that most teams have figured out that his value is dropping, that said we always see stupid GMs make trades based on reputation and not current play

Well ... not just stupid GMs. Just as we discount the value of a super high performance year (ahem, Pitlick) as an aberration, a poor year can also be an aberration. The trick is for the scouts and the analytics teams to figure out how much of the fabulous/crappy performance is due to other factors, and how much is expected to be sustainable.

So, Petry still attracts interest. And not only from stupid GMs. 🙂

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Well ... not just stupid GMs. Just as we discount the value of a super high performance year (ahem, Pitlick) as an aberration, a poor year can also be an aberration. The trick is for the scouts and the analytics teams to figure out how much of the fabulous/crappy performance is due to other factors, and how much is expected to be sustainable.

Good post, agree with your analysis. 

32 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Petry clearly has value.

My post was on Gallagher.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Petry clearly has value.

My post was on Gallagher.

Yes. But I do think Gallagher, too, has value if he can regain the form of the past few seasons. Maybe not as much as his contract, but part of that can be retained if the deal makes sense.

5 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Yes. But I do think Gallagher, too, has value if he can regain the form of the past few seasons. Maybe not as much as his contract, but part of that can be retained if the deal makes sense.

You talking thinking deadline or summer deal?