Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

On 3/16/2022 at 9:33 PM, alfredoh2009 said:

With Chiarot gone, this is the next BIG trade I would love to see:

To Montreal: Filip Forsberg(6.0M, pending UFA), Alexandre Carrier(RD $.733M until 2023) and 2nd 2023

To Nashville: Lehkonen, Hoffman($4.5M until 2024) and a throw-in like Niku or Wideman.

Montreal gets an aging 1st-line start on an expiring contract that they can evaluate for fit and try to sign. Most importantly, they get a top-4 RD

Nashville replaces Forsberg with Hoffman for their current play-off run without being saddled with another albatross contract like Duchene or Johansen. They also get Lehkonen who would improve their roster greatly. The defenseman throw-in fills the void left by Carrier but to a lesser degree.

Ok, revisiting this trade proposal after some digging. Using this article (from Feb 2) to re-think my proposal:

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2022/2/2/22909719/jeff-petry-trade-rumours-potential-destinations-detroit-anaheim-nashville-edmonton-return-package

To Montreal: 2022 1st, Alexandre Carrier, Eeli Tolvanen

To Nashville: Petry, Weber, Lehkonen and Hoffman

Montreal gets another 1st round pick, a decent RD and an NHL ready F prospect with good potential

Nashville gets a top-4 RD in Petry, Weber's contract to manage (per article), Hoffman is an improvement over Tolvanen in the short-term and Lehkonen provides scoring depth and PK awesomeness. This should imporves Nashville's chances in this playoffs and stretches a bit their current cup-window: where the Habs were.

10 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Ok, revisiting this trade proposal after some digging. Using this article (from Feb 2) to re-think my proposal:

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2022/2/2/22909719/jeff-petry-trade-rumours-potential-destinations-detroit-anaheim-nashville-edmonton-return-package

To Montreal: 2022 1st, Alexandre Carrier, Eeli Tolvanen

To Nashville: Petry, Weber, Lehkonen and Hoffman

Montreal gets another 1st round pick, a decent RD and an NHL ready F prospect with good potential

Nashville gets a top-4 RD in Petry, Weber's contract to manage (per article), Hoffman is an improvement over Tolvanen in the short-term and Lehkonen provides scoring depth and PK awesomeness. This should imporves Nashville's chances in this playoffs and stretches a bit their current cup-window: where the Habs were.

No way nashville has that much cap space

3 hours ago, Commandant said:

Its not relief in a midseason trade.  

image.png

Petry($6.25M) Hoffman($4.5M) Lehkonen($2.3M) = $13.05M is less than $51M (probably error)

$13.05M is above $10.24M , but Tolvanen ($1.45M) and Carrier ($0.733) = ($2.18M)  make it close enough (13.05M - $2.18M = $10.87M) for the Habs to keep some of Lehk's salaray cap and make it happen

Math is fun!

Edited by alfredoh2009
added salaries and calculation

6 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Yes, they have lots of cap space but they are also a budget team.  They won't want to add that much salary.

Oh, that is different than "not having" cap room.

So does that means they are conceding loosing in the playoffs again this season?

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Oh, that is different than "not having" cap room.

So does that means they are conceding loosing in the playoffs again this season?

I don't think they're conceding anything.  Not every playoff-bound team is going to spend right to the salary cap.

5 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

image.png

Petry($6.25M) Hoffman($4.5M) Lehkonen($2.3M) = $13.05M is less than $51M (probably error)

$13.05M is above $10.24M , but Tolvanen ($1.45M) and Carrier ($0.733) = ($2.18M)  make it close enough (13.05M - $2.18M = $10.87M) for the Habs to keep some of Lehk's salaray cap and make it happen

Math is fun!

Petry and Hoffman are both signed for next season, and Lehkonen is an RFA.

How are they going to sign Forsberg after this trade, something that they want to do?

6 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Weber's cap relief... should help

6 hours ago, Commandant said:

Its not relief in a midseason trade.  

Nor next season ... the advantage to Weber's contract is really only for a team that wants to only spend to the cap floor (or slightly above)

• 1 month later...

The more I read about the collapse of the WPG Jets, the more I think they may be a potential partners for an off-season trade.

The Habs are entering their rebuild, while the Jets are in win-now mode

I wish the Habs had the trade chips to pry away P-L Dubois for Dvorak and a bucket of pucks, but there is no chance of that happening.

Here is my proposal:

Petry to WPG for an equivalent contract and some draft pick(s). The details of the trade would depend on value exchanged.

Why this makes sense for WPG? They mostly have LD prospects that may be ready to play in the NHL; also, a top-4 RD veteran that can produce points would be an asset for them. Petry has shown he can play at a first-pair level for short periods. If the Jets manage his minutes, he may be the missing piece for their cup run.

Why this makes sense for the Habs? It will help them get clarity on their veteran core doing the rebuild, specially of they get valuable pieces back

Some potential scenarios:

#1 ================

To WPG, Petry at 50% of his salary ($3.65 until 2025), Habs will eat a lot of salary = return the highest

To MTL, Dillon ($3.9M until 2024

To MTL, what WPG got in the Copp trade with NYR (Morgan Barron, 2022 2nd (NYR - #58) [may become 1st if NYR win 2 playoff rounds], 2022 2nd (STL - #56) [choice of this or NYR 2023 2nd])

#2 ================

all the options in between

#3 ================

To WPG, Petry ($6.25M/'til2025), Mailloux(RD)

To MTL, Dillon ($3.9M until 2024), 2022 2nd (STL - #56) [choice of this or NYR 2023 2nd])

38 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

The more I read about the collapse of the WPG Jets, the more I think they may be a potential partners for an off-season trade.

The Habs are entering their rebuild, while the Jets are in win-now mode

I wish the Habs had the trade chips to pry away P-L Dubois for Dvorak and a bucket of pucks, but there is no chance of that happening.

Here is my proposal:

Petry to WPG for an equivalent contract and some draft pick(s). The details of the trade would depend on value exchanged.

Why this makes sense for WPG? They mostly have LD prospects that may be ready to play in the NHL; also, a top-4 RD veteran that can produce points would be an asset for them. Petry has shown he can play at a first-pair level for short periods. If the Jets manage his minutes, he may be the missing piece for their cup run.

Why this makes sense for the Habs? It will help them get clarity on their veteran core doing the rebuild, specially of they get valuable pieces back

Some potential scenarios:

#1 ================

To WPG, Petry at 50% of his salary ($3.65 until 2025), Habs will eat a lot of salary = return the highest

To MTL, Dillon ($3.9M until 2024

To MTL, what WPG got in the Copp trade with NYR (Morgan Barron, 2022 2nd (NYR - #58) [may become 1st if NYR win 2 playoff rounds], 2022 2nd (STL - #56) [choice of this or NYR 2023 2nd])

#2 ================

all the options in between

#3 ================

To WPG, Petry ($6.25M/'til2025), Mailloux(RD)

To MTL, Dillon ($3.9M until 2024), 2022 2nd (STL - #56) [choice of this or NYR 2023 2nd])

Interesting thoughts ... but Petry has a 15-team no-trade list and wants to go to the United States

Not sure Montreal should want to do any of those deals even if Petry was to accept a trade out there.  Dillon doesn't fit the up-tempo, puck-moving type they want (he's the exact opposite) and eating 50% retention (and ultimately adding money for two years) for a collection of lesser pieces when they already have a surplus of draft picks or including Mailloux to get back a draft pick that will yield a worse prospect than Mailloux isn't great asset management.  They should be aiming higher in a Petry trade and should simply hold onto him if that type of move is the best they can get.

45 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Not sure Montreal should want to do any of those deals even if Petry was to accept a trade out there.  Dillon doesn't fit the up-tempo, puck-moving type they want (he's the exact opposite) and eating 50% retention (and ultimately adding money for two years) for a collection of lesser pieces when they already have a surplus of draft picks or including Mailloux to get back a draft pick that will yield a worse prospect than Mailloux isn't great asset management.  They should be aiming higher in a Petry trade and should simply hold onto him if that type of move is the best they can get.

I do not think Mailloux will even play for the Habs. On the one scenario where I give him up if WPG takes the salary, that would be the price to pay to get rid of Petry's contract.

Out of the WPG Ds, Dillon is the only one I thinkt they may move to improve. A defensive sluggish D (if I read right). WPG has young LDs that seem to be on the cusp of making the NHL roster and this move would free a spot for them.

Just a trade proposal with a team with orthogonal needs to the ones the Habs have. Because of that orthogonality, there is a possibility to make a hockey trade that makes sense for both teams.

34 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I do not think Mailloux will even play for the Habs. On the one scenario where I give him up if WPG takes the salary, that would be the price to pay to get rid of Petry's contract.

If Petry is back to form like he was in the latter part of the year  then you don't have pay to get rid of the contract. He is worth every penny of his contract if he is the Petry of old and tradeable without throwing things in. 

Some suggest Mailloux may be the Habs best prospect and it is  possible he may not play here. If the Habs plan to trade him at some point then the best place would be some place far away (ie. California) where he can really have a fresh start.  He would still be under a lot of scrutiny in another Canadian city. 

36 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Out of the WPG Ds, Dillon is the only one I thinkt they may move to improve. A defensive sluggish D (if I read right). WPG has young LDs that seem to be on the cusp of making the NHL roster and this move would free a spot for them.

Just a trade proposal with a team with orthogonal needs to the ones the Habs have. Because of that orthogonality, there is a possibility to make a hockey trade that makes sense for both teams.

Fair enough on Mailloux but they may be able to do better than a late 2nd if he has a good season next year.  If they opt not to sign him, they get a late 2nd anyway (63rd in 2024) so there's no risk to holding onto him for now if that's the best they can get.

Dillon's definitely in play but I just don't see the Habs having any interest in him.  As you note, he's a left-shot D.  That's where Montreal's organizational surplus is as well; there really isn't a spot for him.  Hughes has said he would want a veteran D to replace Petry but his preference is probably one that they actually have a spot for in the lineup.  I expect Dylan DeMelo will be out there as well as long as they're content with Schmidt on the right side (but even if you sub him in, it's still not an ideal swap for Montreal).

There isn't a good fit for a Petry trade with Winnipeg since he has made it known he wants to go to the US.  That's going to rule Winnipeg out right away.  Look further south for trade opportunities.

Since it’s not even clear he will ever play again, no team is taking Price. 

And I seriously doubt Family Man Price is going to waive his NMC and uproot his family to spend a couple of years in Edmonton anyway, even if it is closer to Anahim Lake. 

EDM should have been thinking big regarding Price 3-4 years ago. They are fools who have been trying to patch up an entire roster around their big two C. 

43 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Assuming both players agree to the trade and assuming the oilers bust again:

To Edmonton 

Price (assuming his knee is ok)

Petry

Gallagher

To Montreal 

Smith

Broberg

Nurse

Edmonton’s window won’t last forever 

So the Oilers take on 23M in salary and give back about 12M?  A steal for the Habs. Hughes would win GM of the year with this trade. 

28 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

To Edmonton 

Petry

Gallagher

To Montreal 

Smith

Broberg

Nurse

Oilers are facing elimination in Game 6 ... but still two huge assumptions ... Petry wants to go to the US, so unlikely to waive his NTC for Edmonton ... and ... from the "clickbait" reports Price has allegedly been told the same thing by his second opinion as he was told by his first, that he needs surgery to be able to play again ... so IMO no team is going to even consider a deal for Price until he plays half the games (or more) for a significant stretch next season ... AND ... plays at a high level ... AND ... passes a physical.

And then there are the cap considerations ... Habs ship out $23.25M in cap hit and take back about $12.3M ... and no way I want to retain enough salary to make it work.

BUT ... if it were possible to make the trade as presented (i.e., no salary retained) I'd do it in a heartbeat, and say a prayer for Ken Holland's job.

3 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

To Edmonton 

Petry

Gallagher

To Montreal 

Smith

Broberg

Nurse

No way is Edmonton making that trade even if Price was healthy next year. Three old decking guys would be dumb. Holland has made stupid signings and dumb moves, but even he is not dumb enough to gut his D. There is also no way Edmonton isn’t on Petry’s list of teams he wouldn’t go to.