Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

On 5/13/2022 at 7:03 PM, dlbalr said:

Two of the three players you had coming back are in negative value territory (Dadonov and Patrick).  Martinez is fine but Petry's better so why not aim higher than that in a trade?

I've never been a big Nick Paul guy - I find he's a bit overrated relative to his limited offensive production.  32 points when you play almost every game and log over 16 minutes a night isn't anything special and he turned down $2.5M on a multi-year deal before the deadline.  He's a decent player but a supporting cast piece that's looking to be paid for a bigger role than that.

Mikheyev fits the model of size and speed and could be a fit depending on what other wingers get moved out of Montreal but he's going to be looking at something in the mid-$3M range.

Nick must have read your post :) 

p

On 5/13/2022 at 6:55 PM, alfredoh2009 said:

Some commentators mentioned Palat as a good UFA fit for Suzuki and Caufield. I was looking for other alternatives

image.png

Time to and raid the MakeBelieves UFAs; from The Athletic:

The Leafs’ UFA list is headlined by Jack Campbell, but Ilya Mikheyev, Mark Giordano, Jason Spezza, Colin Blackwell and Ilya Lyubushkin are all up as well. The RFA group will mean raises for Liljegren, Rasmus Sandin, Pierre Engvall and Ondrej Kase.

28 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Time to and raid the MakeBelieves UFAs; from The Athletic:

The Leafs’ UFA list is headlined by Jack Campbell, but Ilya Mikheyev, Mark Giordano, Jason Spezza, Colin Blackwell and Ilya Lyubushkin are all up as well. The RFA group will mean raises for Liljegren, Rasmus Sandin, Pierre Engvall and Ondrej Kase.

Mikheyev really impressed me this year, he will get a big raise from someone. I just don't see this being the year the Habs chase UFA's.  Too much other work to do first (ie. clear salary space).  The Leafs have a tough decision on Jack Campbell, certainly not his fault they lost. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Mikheyev really impressed me this year, he will get a big raise from someone. I just don't see this being the year the Habs chase UFA's.  Too much other work to do first (ie. clear salary space).  The Leafs have a tough decision on Jack Campbell, certainly not his fault they lost. 

I watched parts of the game where the Leafs erased a 2-0 deficit and won, so I stopped watching thereafter in case I was the independent variable 😉 So, tell me - whose fault was it that they lost? WHY did this group, faster than TB and just as talented, manage to blow it yet again? 

41 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

It will be interesting to see who is willing to pay Mikheyev based on one break-out season ... but I agree this is not the offseason for Habs to be free-agent hunting ... a third experienced defenceman to help stabilize the defence (assuming Petry is moved) is a need but not much else ... Campbell will be another VERY interesting case ... he wasn't the reason they lost (actually allowed one fewer goal than Vasilevskiy in the series) but neither was he even close to being their playoff hero; his regular season was good, but not elite .. . but at 30 this is may well be his last chance to score a big/big-ish contract.

1 hour ago, DON said:

Is Letang a realistic UFA option to replace Petry? Or will he still demand too much salary?

I'm pretty sure he'd cost more (and with more remaining term) than Petry.

1 minute ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I watched parts of the game where the Leafs erased a 2-0 deficit and won, so I stopped watching thereafter in case I was the independent variable 😉 So, tell me - whose fault was it that they lost? WHY did this group, faster than TB and just as talented, manage to blow it yet again? 

Manifest destiny.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, DON said:

Is Letang a realistic UFA option to replace Petry? Or will he still demand too much salary?

That is the $64,000 question ... his past relationship with Hughes as his client may engender a higher level of trust than with other teams ... possibly a shorter term at a reasonable salary with the trust that if his play warrants it Hughes will re-sign him.

Will he prove to be the elusive proven NHL star with something left in the tank who WANTS to play with the Habs to end his career?

20 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

When you lose 2-1 it's not the goaltending. Hard to pick one thing with the Leafs. They are close but need to find a way to get over the hump. 

7 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

...Hard to pick one thing with the Leafs. They are close but need to find a way to get over the hump. 

image.jpeg

• Upvote 1

If we trade Petry, there’s a player I would LOVE to see the Habs trade for. This guy is Sean Durzi of the LA kings.

This year he got a lot of opportunity because Drew Doughty was down. But even before that, he was playing so well they couldn’t keep him off the roster. 

27 points in 64 games as a rookie d man, he stepped straight into a top 4 role, as well as top PP and never looked back, this guy is also an excellent shot blocker, and has a little bit of a mean streak. 

Why would LA trade a 23 year old d man like this? Well their was only much room for him because Doughty went down. With him back, we have him, Troy Stecher, Matt Roy, and top prospect Brandt Clarke all vying for time on the right side. There’s simply no room. Plus, Durzi is an RFA and will need a new contract.

If Petry goes, I think there is an amazing fit here as MTL will have a glaring hole on the right.

we also have an embarrassment of draft picks to sweeten a deal, and enough left defence prospects to make it work. I do think Durzi has some value now so it wouldn’t be a freebie here.

Poehling, Norlinder and a second for Durzi.

After the way he played down the stretch and in the playoffs, I dont see the Kings trading Durzi at all.

And if im wrong and they do trade him, that deal is not close to the value they will want.  

2 hours ago, Meller93 said:

Why would LA trade a 23 year old d man like this? Well their was only much room for him because Doughty went down. With him back, we have him, Troy Stecher, Matt Roy, and top prospect Brandt Clarke all vying for time on the right side. There’s simply no room. Plus, Durzi is an RFA and will need a new contract.

Or they let Stecher walk as a UFA and Clarke go back to the OHL for one more year.  That's probably a better solution for them.

20 minutes ago, DON said:

What should Petry's value be, or what should Hughes realistically try and get for him this summer?

Honestly ... no idea ... hoping we get some rumours from credible sources to give us some idea.

4 hours ago, Commandant said:

After the way he played down the stretch and in the playoffs, I dont see the Kings trading Durzi at all.

And if im wrong and they do trade him, that deal is not close to the value they will want.  

Damn, I wonder what they’d be looking for 

19 minutes ago, Meller93 said:

Also what kind of ceiling/future do you think Durzi has?

I think he is definitely a 3/4 defenceman. Hes already showing he can handle that. 

Given that and his age.  They probably move Roy if they think Clarke is ready.  But like DLb said, probably let Clarke simmer another year before that happens.

Doughty had a heck of a bounce back this year but hes not going to have too many great years left either.

23 minutes ago, Meller93 said:

Damn, I wonder what they’d be looking for 

The Kings have one of the best prospect groups in the NHL.

If they are moving any young players they will be looking for a top 6 winger who can score.

Maybe not for Durzi... but they could be a landing spot at next years trade deadline for Drouin before he becomes UFA.  Drouin will need a good year though.

And with their pool, you might still get a nice asset if you have something they want.

10 hours ago, Commandant said:

Maybe with Bergevin, and with Danault, and losing Dustin Brown, they could be a landing spot for Gallagher.  You wont get much for him though.

OK by me. That’s one of those contracts that encroaches upon the rebuild - we should ship it out if we can IMHO.