Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

As much as I don’t really like Smith, I wonder if we could get more assets by offering up Allen for Smith? Oilers get a more stable backup (who I think cost less??) and with Koskinan coming off the books can go after a more legit starter.

I also wonder if the oilers would be an option to get a guy like Puljujarvi,

or another younger player for a guy like Gallagher, or Savard, if we also took on one of their overpaid bums like Ceci or Barrie?

I doubt if we able to get a Broberg or Savoie, but they may not be able to qualify Puljujarvi, and they need to stabilize their D, get goaltending, and get some legit wingers so McDavid and Draisaitl can give them the basis for two solid lines.

16 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

As much as I don’t really like Smith, I wonder if we could get more assets by offering up Allen for Smith? Oilers get a more stable backup (who I think cost less??) and with Koskinan coming off the books can go after a more legit starter.

or another younger player for a guy like Gallagher, or Savard, if we also took on one of their overpaid bums like Ceci or Barrie?

I doubt if we able to get a Broberg or Savoie, but they may not be able to qualify Puljujarvi, and they need to stabilize their D, get goaltending, and get some legit wingers so McDavid and Draisaitl can give them the basis for two solid lines.

If Gallagher has a bounce back year he might be a trade deadline asset. Right now his contract is rough. But if he can rebound to a 25 goal 50 point pace with his work like a dog quality, maybe we could actually get something for him.

I suppose smith could work in a write-off rebuild year. 

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Not a bad idea and the Oilers have to do something in goal. I just don't think Smith  is interested in playing on a rebuilding team but if he retired that would be fine too. Broberg is the guy I have always wanted to pry from Edmonton, terrific skater. 

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

... Oilers get a more stable backup (who I think cost less??) and with Koskinan coming off the books can go after a more legit starter.

Habs are currently just under a $1M over the rumoured $82.5 ceiling (total contracts plus 2nd last season of Alzner buyout and $1.1325M in bonus carryovers because they were in LTIR last season) ... Weber's $7,857,143 (either going to Vegas or onto LTIR) is likely largely eaten up by re-signing Romanov & Rem Pitlick, and whichever 13th forward they decide to keep ... so the Habs ability to take on even semi-significant contracts will depend on who Hughes can offload and/or whether Price goes onto LTIR for the full season ... and I doubt HuGo want to be in LTIR if they can help it as it ties their hands in-season and kicks any rookie bonuses onto 23/24 cap.

4 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Edmonton's cap situation hasn't changed.  If the trade proposal involves them adding salary, they can't afford it.  It's basically that simple. 

Would they prefer Allen over Smith?  Probably.  But they can't afford it and they certainly can't afford Gallagher even with an offset as again, it would add salary.  If they want a winger for those two, they're going to try to clear out money to keep Kane.

3 hours ago, DON said:

Not a Puljujarvi fan for the Habs. Is he any better than Armia, dont think so.?

Armia has little to no upside, and is probably unmovable. Puljujarvi still probably has a lot more upside. I think a trade could help him to take the next step, like it did with Naslund.

3 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Habs are currently just under a $1M over the rumoured $82.5 ceiling (total contracts plus 2nd last season of Alzner buyout and $1.1325M in bonus carryovers because they were in LTIR last season) ... Weber's $7,857,143 (either going to Vegas or onto LTIR) is likely largely eaten up by re-signing Romanov & Rem Pitlick, and whichever 13th forward they decide to keep ... so the Habs ability to take on even semi-significant contracts will depend on who Hughes can offload and/or whether Price goes onto LTIR for the full season ... and I doubt HuGo want to be in LTIR if they can help it as it ties their hands in-season and kicks any rookie bonuses onto 23/24 cap.

I don’t see Petry being here past the draft, it just depends who they get in return, and what they replace him with.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

Edmonton's cap situation hasn't changed.  If the trade proposal involves them adding salary, they can't afford it.  It's basically that simple. 

Would they prefer Allen over Smith?  Probably.  But they can't afford it and they certainly can't afford Gallagher even with an offset as again, it would add salary.  If they want a winger for those two, they're going to try to clear out money to keep Kane.

I think they’d probably prefer Kane, but after scoring like he did, I think a bankrupt Kane is probably going to try and cash in, i what could be his last big contract.

inthink we’d probably have to take a a Ceci, or Barrie.

39 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I think they’d probably prefer Kane, but after scoring like he did, I think a bankrupt Kane is probably going to try and cash in, i what could be his last big contract.

I expect Kane to go to the highest bidder as well.

Gallagher makes $6.5 million, Ceci and Barrie less than that.  Moving one of them in a deal for Gallagher would therefore increase their cap charge and they can't afford that.  If your trade proposal involves them adding to their cap in any way, it's not a viable one for them.

Just now, dlbalr said:

Gallagher makes $6.5 million, Ceci and Barrie less than that.  Moving one of them in a deal for Gallagher would therefore increase their cap charge and they can't afford that.  If your trade proposal involves them adding to their cap in any way, it's not a viable one for them.

Not by much if we are also swapping goalies, isn’t Smith making around a $1m-1.5m more than Allen?

Russell’s contract ia also expiring. The key for them is if can they move 2 out of their top 4 D, and get more quality players. I think all their dman are overpaid for what they bring. Hell, for one Year i would even be willing to take Keith, but I doubt if he waives to go to a lottery team.

45 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Ceci and Barrie are still credible right-handed D-men, are they not, albeit somewhat overpaid?

5 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Where Kane ends up has a lot to do with how his grievance hearing with San Jose turns out. If San Jose wins and are free and clear of any obligations then likely the highest bidder.  Anything other than that and it gets complicated. 

I just don't see Gallagher going anywhere. Not a great contract for anyone to take on. He needs to come back and have a good year before there is any chance of trading him. 

21 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Not by much if we are also swapping goalies, isn’t Smith making around a $1m-1.5m more than Allen?

Russell’s contract ia also expiring. The key for them is if can they move 2 out of their top 4 D, and get more quality players. I think all their dman are overpaid for what they bring. Hell, for one Year i would even be willing to take Keith, but I doubt if he waives to go to a lottery team.

Smith makes less than Allen, not the other way around.  CapFriendly and PuckPedia are two great resources out there, one of those sites should be the first place people look at when they're pondering trade ideas.

We've gone through the money several times - I'm well aware of who's expiring.  I'm also well aware that they don't have enough money to keep their current players let alone take on more expensive ones from elsewhere.

12 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Where Kane ends up has a lot to do with how his grievance hearing with San Jose turns out. If San Jose wins and are free and clear of any obligations then likely the highest bidder.  Anything other than that and it gets complicated. 

I just don't see Gallagher going anywhere. Not a great contract for anyone to take on. He needs to come back and have a good year before there is any chance of trading him. 

I expect a settlement to come at some point in that grievance hearing.  Can Kane really risk it being an all or nothing proposition in his situation?  That'd be a risky call.

I agree that Gallagher isn't going anywhere.  No team would take him with his contract and the year he just had.

24 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Ceci and Barrie are still credible right-handed D-men, are they not, albeit somewhat overpaid?

I think Ceci is a pylon. Barrie is better offensively, overpaid, and I wouldn’t want either if I thought we were legit team.

that’s what I don’t get about the oilers You would think a team that had McDavid and Draisaitl in their prime, would try harder to get legit goaltending and better dmen (rather than go out and get Keith - let alone pay Nurse MORE than Draisaitl?).

18 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Smith makes less than Allen, not the other way around.  CapFriendly and PuckPedia are two great resources out there, one of those sites should be the first place people look at when they're pondering trade ideas.

We've gone through the money several times - I'm well aware of who's expiring.  I'm also well aware that they don't have enough money to keep their current players let alone take on more expensive ones from elsewhere.

Oh, and oilers friend had said that he was signed for $3.5m/yr for two years. I guess that wouldn’t work.

I do think that The Kings and oilers are a potential for at some point for Gallagher. Gallagher is the aging/declining type of player Holland has overpaid for in the past. I don’t know too many GM’s

who would have made the Duncan Keith deal.

12 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I think Ceci is a pylon. Barrie is better offensively, overpaid, and I wouldn’t want either if I thought we were legit team.

Even Ceci still scored 28 points, Barrie scored at a 45-point pace. Not first-pairing, but neither are they completely without value.

2 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Armia has little to no upside, and is probably unmovable. Puljujarvi still probably has a lot more upside. I think a trade could help him to take the next step, like it did with Naslund.

Upside? He is 25, 46g in 259 NHL games, he is what he is, just like Armia a 10-15g guy.

Dont need any more bottom six guys, do they?

• Upvote 1

Puljujarvi scored 14 goals this year, and that's including spending some time with McDavid.

Armia can at least do both PP and PK (yes, he's also more expensive).

2 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

that’s what I don’t get about the oilers You would think a team that had McDavid and Draisaitl in their prime, would try harder to get legit goaltending and better dmen (rather than go out and get Keith - let alone pay Nurse MORE than Draisaitl?).

It's not easy to get top 4 defensemen. You either have to develop your own (Oilers are trying with Bouchard, Broberg, Nurse) or overpay on the free agent market (they couldn't afford Hamilton at 9M/year) or overpay in a trade as nobody is giving them away.  Guys like Cale Makar don't grow on trees. 

McDavid is still only 25, Draisaitl is 26. There is still time.  Making the final four is better than a lot of teams did. 

53 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

It's not easy to get top 4 defensemen. You either have to develop your own (Oilers are trying with Bouchard, Broberg, Nurse) or overpay on the free agent market (they couldn't afford Hamilton at 9M/year) or overpay in a trade as nobody is giving them away.  Guys like Cale Makar don't grow on trees. 

McDavid is still only 25, Draisaitl is 26. There is still time.  Making the final four is better than a lot of teams did. 

Nurse needs to get more consistent. 9.2 cap hit till 2030 is crazy.

3 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Even Ceci still scored 28 points, Barrie scored at a 45-point pace. Not first-pairing, but neither are they completely without value.

They are playing with McDavid and Draisaitl. They are gong to get their points.

Hell, Bernie Nicholle scored 70 goals playing with Gretzky. Kings  Didn’t do much in the playoffs with Nicholls though.

2 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Puljujarvi scored 14 goals this year, and that's including spending some time with McDavid.

Armia can at least do both PP and PK (yes, he's also more expensive).

I think he had more potential to still be a 2nd/3rd winger, while Armia is a good 4th line, sometimes 3rd line winger.