Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

It's not easy to get top 4 defensemen. You either have to develop your own (Oilers are trying with Bouchard, Broberg, Nurse) or overpay on the free agent market (they couldn't afford Hamilton at 9M/year) or overpay in a trade as nobody is giving them away.  Guys like Cale Makar don't grow on trees. 

McDavid is still only 25, Draisaitl is 26. There is still time.  Making the final four is better than a lot of teams did. 

Sure. But being willing to give up a 2nd for Kulak (not that I’m complaining), but unwilling to move your first is ludicrous. If you think there is a chance that you are not going to be a playoff team NEXT year, and risk losing a lottery pick, you shouldn’t bother being a GM. 

Didn’t move Koskinan, even if he Imifnit costed him something - strike 1. Keith deal - strike 2. Paying frigging Nurse, more than Draisaitl- strike 3.

Nurse is a legit #1 dman.

He was playing the playoffs on a torn hip muscle apparently.

But his regular season shows he hit that level.  

Kulak was a good add for them.

Bouchard is young and coming along.

Barrie has a role and Id take him in Montreal but hes not needed in Edmonton as both Nurse and Bouchard are PP guys.

Ceci and keith are problems, especially at that money 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Nurse is a legit #1 dman.

He was playing the playoffs on a torn hip muscle apparently.

But his regular season shows he hit that level.  

Kulak was a good add for them.

Bouchard is young and coming along.

Barrie has a role and Id take him in Montreal but hes not needed in Edmonton as both Nurse and Bouchard are PP guys.

Ceci and keith are problems, especially at that money 

Is Nurse a a#1 dman. Sure. But not every #1 dman is worth $9m.

if that was the case you could say Suzuki is a $10m or $11m centre.

everytime has to have an internal salary structure, and being up against the cap already, Holland fxcked up his.

Nurse is not the problem on a team paying nearly 6m to Sekera, Turris, Lucic, and James Neal.

A team paying over 3 million to zach kassian

A team paying over 5 to keith, over 3 to Ceci.

Paying 3.5 to koskinen

Nurse is a legit top defender, and worth what he's making. He is the least of the oilers cap issues

• Like 1

8 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I think he had more potential to still be a 2nd/3rd winger, while Armia is a good 4th line, sometimes 3rd line winger.

Hair splitting.

Bottom line, Habs dont need any more grinders who may score every once every 8 games. Dime a dozen player.

He had 14 goals and 36 points in 65 games this year.  He's already a 2nd line player and not a dime a dozen type. 

We are looking at 45 points over 82 games. 

Had 15 goals and 25 points in 55 games last year too. 

40 minutes ago, Commandant said:

He had 14 goals and 36 points in 65 games this year.  He's already a 2nd line player and not a dime a dozen type. 

We are looking at 45 points over 82 games. 

Had 15 goals and 25 points in 55 games last year too. 

I agree that there is still some untapped potential with Puljujarvi.  Showed a good work ethic and attitude this year.  I think he could be a consistent 25 goal scorer, maybe higher in a good year. 

It will be interesting to see if he gets any RFA offers as I think he is the ideal candidate. Would the Oilers match a 4million a year offer sheet?  I would have no problem giving up a second for him as compensation. 

Obviously a rough guide, but this suggests we go package 26+33 and get up to 17 or even 16. Could be worth it if you really like someone who slipped there. 

Or could you keep 26, and package 33, 62 (EDM) and 65 to move up to select back to back 25/26?

Would be pretty crazy to have 3 1sts
NHL Draft

8 hours ago, Commandant said:

Nurse is not the problem on a team paying nearly 6m to Sekera, Turris, Lucic, and James Neal.

A team paying over 3 million to zach kassian

A team paying over 5 to keith, over 3 to Ceci.

Paying 3.5 to koskinen

Nurse is a legit top defender, and worth what he's making. He is the least of the oilers cap issues

I respect your opinion on Nurse, but disagree he is worth his contract.  $6m-$7m maybe, but there isn’t a single aspect of his game that is elite. His contract suggests he has multiple aspects of his game that is elite.

Capfriendly lists 10 defencemen being paid over $9m a season.  Karlsson, Doughty, Werenski, Fox, McAvoy, Jones, Nurse, Josi, Hamilton and Makar.  Jones and Nurse are easily the 2 worse on that list and Jones has been regarded as one of the worse contracts in the NHL.

4 minutes ago, DON said:

https://montrealhockeynow.com/2022/06/06/nhl-draft-the-cost-of-moving-up-in-the-nhl-draft/

Need to over pay #s wise to move up, gotta entice a team to drop down with added value.

That's a good article. The Edmonton pick will be 62 as they made the final 4 plus it dropped 1 spot because Minnesota gets an extra 2nd round pick for not signing an earlier 1st round pick. 

15 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

I respect your opinion on Nurse, but disagree he is worth his contract.  $6m-$7m maybe, but there isn’t a single aspect of his game that is elite. His contract suggests he has multiple aspects of his game that is elite.

Capfriendly lists 10 defencemen being paid over $9m a season.  Karlsson, Doughty, Werenski, Fox, McAvoy, Jones, Nurse, Josi, Hamilton and Makar.  Jones and Nurse are easily the 2 worse on that list and Jones has been regarded as one of the worse contracts in the NHL.

I don't disagree that Nurse seems highly paid when you compare him to a Makar or Fox. The dilemma the Oilers faced is that Nurse would have been approaching free agency. Not a chance they could have signed him to the same term at 6-7M per year and they couldn't afford to lose their #1 defensemen in a bidding war.  I would rather have Nurse at 9.2 than Karlsson at 11.5   I would also rather have Nurse than Hamilton at the same price although I know some will disagree. Nurse is tough as hell, a great teammate and better defensively than Hamilton. I will give Hamilton the edge on offense. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

Edmonton is always going to have to pay slightly more, thats a factor of the market and being the coldest place in the entire NHL.  So thats a factor too. 

I'm of the philosophy that you pay your best players, its in the middle part and bottom part of the team that you can screw up your cap, and yes Edmonton has screwed it up. 

22 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

Sometimes it's the whole package that makes a player elite, even if they dont have 1 elite traits. Nurse is a rare blend of physicality and offense. Few players post the amount of Hits, blocks, shots and points like him.

These are guys like Trouba, Weegar, Seider, and Letang. There aren't many like him and I consider them elite at what they do.

1 hour ago, Meller93 said:

Obviously a rough guide, but this suggests we go package 26+33 and get up to 17 or even 16. Could be worth it if you really like someone who slipped there. 

Or could you keep 26, and package 33, 58 (EDM) and 65 to move up to select back to back 25/26?

Would be pretty crazy to have 3 1sts

Nice chart, I've highlighted the Habs picks and were thrading the extra first and second picks would put them:

14 (WPG)

15 (VAN)

16 (BUF)

17 (NSH)

Buffalo and Nashville may want a quantity of picks and may trade their 1st. But is is very unlikely from what a lay person like me may be able to guess.

DAL, LAK, WSH, PIT, ANA are next and those picks are getting close to the Habs pick to justify a trade for the Habs.

image.png

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Nice chart, I've highlighted the Habs picks and were thrading the extra first and second picks would put them:

14 (WPG)

15 (VAN)

16 (BUF)

17 (NSH)

Buffalo and Nashville may want a quantity of picks and may trade their 1st. But is is very unlikely from what a lay person like me may be able to guess.

DAL, LAK, WSH, PIT, ANA are next and those picks are getting close to the Habs pick to justify a trade for the Habs.

image.png

Pittsburgh is an interesting option since their prospect pool is so shallow. Maybe they’d be interested in restocking. 

21 for 26/62/65 IF someone we love is there. 

we’d select 1st, 21st, and 33rd 

Same idea with the capitals 

2 hours ago, Meller93 said:

Pittsburgh is an interesting option since their prospect pool is so shallow. Maybe they’d be interested in restocking. 

21 for 26/62/65 IF someone we love is there. 

we’d select 1st, 21st, and 33rd 

Same idea with the capitals 

I'll pass. Too expensive for my taste.

Watching Lehkonen do so well, after being drafted #55 makes me thing that out of #26, #33 and #62 the Habs should have another player at least as good. Shances are at about 1 in 3 in that range

this article about Alex Tuch being captain in BUF, made me think of a trade proposal:

https://lastwordonsports.com/hockey/2022/06/09/alex-tuch-should-be-next-buffalo-sabres-captain/

To Montreal: BUF 2022 draft pick #16 (from VGK)

To Buffalo: MTL 2022 draft pick #26 (from CGY), Luke Tuch(LW, 2020#47), Logan Mailloux (RD, 2021#31)

Buffalo gets Mailloux to play shotgun to Owen Power, BUF is a small market which should benefit Mailloux

BUF also gets Luke, Alex's brother and a 4th line prospect that may develop better being close to his brother

BUF also keeps a 1st round pick this year

Montreal gets closer to elite talent than from #26, which is what they need. They may (at worst) select a RD with more potential than Mailloux and less off-ice issues. Or some elite FW that may fall

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

this article about Alex Tuch being captain in BUF, made me think of a trade proposal:

https://lastwordonsports.com/hockey/2022/06/09/alex-tuch-should-be-next-buffalo-sabres-captain/

To Buffalo: MTL 2022 draft pick #26 (from CGY), Luke Tuch(LW, 2020#47), Logan Mailloux (RD, 2021#31)

Buffalo gets Mailloux to play shotgun to Owen Power, BUF is a small market which should benefit Mailloux

BUF also gets Luke, Alex's brother and a 4th line prospect that may develop better being close to his brother

Montreal gets closer to elite talent than from #26, which is what they need. They may (at worst) select a RD with more potential than Mailloux and less off-ice issues. Or some elite FW that may fall

Not a bad proposal as I get the feeling Hughes would move Mailloux at the first good opportunity and moving up in the draft is something they will likely try and do. It would depend on whether there is someone at 16 they badly want. I definitely think Mailloux is better off in another market (not CDN) away from the media microscope.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Not a bad proposal as I get the feeling Hughes would move Mailloux at the first good opportunity and moving up in the draft is something they will likely try and do. It would depend on whether there is someone at 16 they badly want. I definitely think Mailloux is better off in another market (not CDN) away from the media microscope.  

My only concern is that there have been some reports that Mailloux is as good or better than any of the Habs defence prospects ... makes me think that it could be important to see more of him before trading him ... it could indicate he should be kept or at least increase his trade value ... he only played 12 games this past season but scored 3 goals, got 6 assists, had 13 PIMs and was a +7 ... he is also the test case for the "improved" off-ice support programs of HuGo. 

1 minute ago, GHT120 said:

My only concern is that there have been some reports that Mailloux is as good or better than any of the Habs defence prospects ... makes me think that it could be important to see more of him before trading him ... it could indicate he should be kept or at least increase his trade value ... he only played 12 games this past season but scored 3 goals, got 6 assists, had 13 PIMs and was a +7 ... he is also the test case for the "improved" off-ice support programs of HuGo. 

I agree and I would be hesitant to trade him until we see more of him but I have no doubt that other teams are fully aware that he has a pretty high ceiling and Hughes may move him sooner rather than  later for the right deal.  I would wait but Hughes may not. 

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I agree and I would be hesitant to trade him until we see more of him but I have no doubt that other teams are fully aware that he has a pretty high ceiling and Hughes may move him sooner rather than  later for the right deal.  I would wait but Hughes may not. 

I am ready to move Mailloux now if the Habs can pickup a stud RD this draft. Why hesitate if we can do better?

Even if Mailloux becomes a stud RD somewhere else, I much rather have an RD prospect we can actually see play in MTL in the near future

3 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Interesting.  The value I think is a little steep but it depends on their valuation of Mailloux.  If they're not signing him, they'd peg his value at the compensation pick which is a late 2nd and if that's substituted in for him in your proposal, the value is pretty close.  Slide down ten picks, get a decent prospect and a future late 2nd in return.  Sounds reasonable if Buffalo is looking for extra depth.

I'm one of the ones that thinks Mailloux has more upside than what's out there and I think Tuch is primed for a bounce-back year next season so I'd hold onto him in the hopes his value rebounds (and becomes signable) so I wouldn't do that deal myself but it's a decent proposal.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

... I much rather have an RD prospect we can actually see play in MTL in the near future

I guess you are assuming that Mailloux will never play in Montreal as he is likely closer to the NHL than anyone drafted mid-first this season ... you may well be right, but I am not so certain.