Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

I think if Price can play and a team is willing to not over work him to save him for the playoffs, then it would have to be a 3 way trade  were us and another team can eat some of his contract so the team getting him isn't getting a big cap hit.

For example 

We trade Price to a team like Arizona. We take on 4mil of his contract and get picks or maybe a prospect back.

The Arizona then flips Price to lets say Edmonton and Arizona takes on 3.5mil, they get back picks.

So Edmonton would now Only have a 3mil cap hit. Which is a lot better than it would be if it was just trading with us.

But anyway I think that's the type of trade we would need to do. But I guess it all depends on if Price can handle a playoff load. If not best thing might be to retire (which would be sad and suck) . 

8 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Wouldn't be enough. 

The "talk" I read/hear would be that Fitzgerald would start by asking that Guhle be added to that mix ... don't think I would do it ... but maybe any of the other LHD prospects plus a bit more.

13 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

.. But I guess it all depends on if Price can handle a playoff load. If not best thing might be to retire (which would be sad and suck) . 

That type of cap-hit reducing trade would undoubtedly be needed ... but before worrying about what workload he can handle Price has to show his "game" is at least at his 18/19 level ... 4 of the last 5 years his on-ice play likely wasn't worth the risk that "he'll up his game in the playoffs" to a potential new team.

2 hours ago, DON said:

Would Anderson and pick #26 to Devils be enough for pick #2? Not proposing, just thinking out loud.

In a perfect world, Anderson is a second liner.  You don't trade a 2nd overall pick for a second liner (plus a pick that could yield a second liner if all went well).  

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Maybe not NJD but SEA and PHI would be better fits for Anderson.

I wonder if Josh played for Trotorella in CBJ?

SEA needs to start winning more and Anderson could easily be a fan favorite in Seattle

Those picks are still top-5 and if Nemec or Jiricek drop... that would be perfect for the way I would like the Has to pick. Put any other top-5 would be a great pick for the Habs

Seattle wouldn't be wise to trade a top-10 pick for Anderson when they're in the process of building up their young talent.  They're not trying to win right like Vegas was so it's a slower building process.

Anderson did play for Tortorella in Columbus and had his best year with him.  He was also called out on multiple occasions and was wildly inconsistent.  Philly doesn't have the cap space to take on Anderson outright and their GM has talked more about doing player-player swaps to change up their core.  

1 hour ago, Habsfan89 said:

I think if Price can play and a team is willing to not over work him to save him for the playoffs, then it would have to be a 3 way trade  were us and another team can eat some of his contract so the team getting him isn't getting a big cap hit.

For example 

We trade Price to a team like Arizona. We take on 4mil of his contract and get picks or maybe a prospect back.

The Arizona then flips Price to lets say Edmonton and Arizona takes on 3.5mil, they get back picks.

So Edmonton would now Only have a 3mil cap hit. Which is a lot better than it would be if it was just trading with us.

But anyway I think that's the type of trade we would need to do. But I guess it all depends on if Price can handle a playoff load. If not best thing might be to retire (which would be sad and suck) . 

The big thing here is what type of return would the Habs require to hold back $16M of salary (it's not just cap hit, it's cap hit and salary; it has to be both).  For a team to make that much of a commitment for dead space for that long, we're talking multiple high draft picks to justify that type of cost based on precedents set in the last few years.  Price, given his injury situation, simply isn't worth that and Molson isn't going to sign off on paying that much money for someone not to play for them for next to no return.

In Arizona's case, they're about to have an attendance that's less than many junior teams for the next several years resulting in major cash flow (revenue) concerns.  For them to commit that much dead money in the retention to Edmonton simply doesn't make economic sense for them.  Weber was one thing because the salary was so much lower than the AAV; they could justify that to have to spend less in actual money to get to the cap floor.  Price's contract isn't structured that way though.  They simply can't afford $12M or so in dead money on their books to at best get back whatever they gave up to get him from Montreal.

For Price to have any trade value, he needs to get through all of next season and get back to playing at a high level.  I see no reason to think either of those have a chance at happening.  

35 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

For Price to have any trade value, he needs to get through all of next season and get back to playing at a high level.  I see no reason to think either of those have a chance at happening.  

Agree. That's the bottom line. Price has to prove he has returned to form before anyone takes a chance on him. It might not take a full season but at least 1/2 season of playing well and being healthy. Not optimistic that will happen. 

7 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Agree. That's the bottom line. Price has to prove he has returned to form before anyone takes a chance on him. It might not take a full season but at least 1/2 season of playing well and being healthy. Not optimistic that will happen. 

I had picked a full season as a 'prover' for health.  It's one thing to have a couple of good months but is it sustainable and will his knee hold up?  I think that longer stretch would be need to demonstrate to teams that he is back to form and isn't going to be back on IR two weeks later.

46 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

The big thing here is what type of return would the Habs require to hold back $16M of salary (it's not just cap hit, it's cap hit and salary; it has to be both).  For a team to make that much of a commitment for dead space for that long, we're talking multiple high draft picks to justify that type of cost based on precedents set in the last few years.  Price, given his injury situation, simply isn't worth that and Molson isn't going to sign off on paying that much money for someone not to play for them for next to no return.

In Arizona's case, they're about to have an attendance that's less than many junior teams for the next several years resulting in major cash flow (revenue) concerns.  For them to commit that much dead money in the retention to Edmonton simply doesn't make economic sense for them.  Weber was one thing because the salary was so much lower than the AAV; they could justify that to have to spend less in actual money to get to the cap floor.  Price's contract isn't structured that way though.  They simply can't afford $12M or so in dead money on their books to at best get back whatever they gave up to get him from Montreal.

The last part of my  post I had mentioned that Price needs to prove he can still play. If he can't play a full weeks schedule of hockey, he can't play playoff hockey. Which means his best beat is to retire all together. 

47 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

The last part of my  post I had mentioned that Price needs to prove he can still play. If he can't play a full weeks schedule of hockey, he can't play playoff hockey. Which means his best beat is to retire all together. 

Price may be a nice guy and all, but I don't think he's going to forfeit $31M in salary just so the Habs can have some cap space.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

The "talk" I read/hear would be that Fitzgerald would start by asking that Guhle be added to that mix ... don't think I would do it ... but maybe any of the other LHD prospects plus a bit more.

Guhle would be a very significant piece in any package given how he has continued to progress. He is almost guaranteed to be a top 4 NHL defenseman (in my opinion), who can be a real shutdown guy and eat up big minutes plus he is a leader.  You don't give up those guys easily. 

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

[...]Seattle wouldn't be wise to trade a top-10 pick for Anderson when they're in the process of building up their young talent.  They're not trying to win right like Vegas was so it's a slower building process. [...]

we were just chatting with @DON on the idea, not making a trade proposal. I would package Anderson with Waiver exempt prospects and a few extra picks in later rounds but only of a high first rounder falls to where the Habs would pick.

SEA's needs to add lots of prospects of all skillsets, 4th liners, AHLers, etc. etc.

3 hours ago, dlbalr said:

The big thing here is what type of return would the Habs require to hold back $16M of salary (it's not just cap hit, it's cap hit and salary; it has to be both) ...

I think the harder decision/sell for HuGo with Molson would be the cap impact, not the real dollars.

2 hours ago, Habsfan89 said:

But even if he can still play, there's the real dollar element that has to be taken into consideration.  If the Habs are going to pay for an extended part of his remaining contract, they're going to want a lot of value in return for that.  No goalie has high trade value nowadays.  And even if Price returns to form, Arizona can't afford the cash outlay to make that type of deal work.  That's a critical factor of your proposal, finding a third team to take on money.  It can't be Arizona because of the real dollar cost.

15 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

I think the harder decision/sell for HuGo with Molson would be the cap impact, not the real dollars.

There's a reason the Habs have had a very thin development staff, a thinner coaching staff, and were well under the cap until recently.  I suspect it's the same reason that Gorton stated he required some assurances from ownership before committing to join the Canadiens.  While public comments claim Molson is willing to spend what it takes, his actions over the long haul suggest otherwise.  The real dollar impact in this type of move would be significant. 

2 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Guhle would be a very significant piece in any package given how he has continued to progress. He is almost guaranteed to be a top 4 NHL defenseman (in my opinion), who can be a real shutdown guy and eat up big minutes plus he is a leader.  You don't give up those guys easily. 

Unless you get Drouin in return, right?

The good news is, Guhle’s performance in the WHL playoffs has made him an expensive commodity.  So a well managed trade should net a great return.  Not that I am saying anyone should be exploring trading him, just pointing out his value should be sky high right now.

38 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I understand that nobody is advocating for Guhle to be traded. 

There is no way they trade Guhle. He might be a future franchise Dman and we need those. 

That is true, nobody is advocating we trade him. He is a gem, just pointing out that he would have significant value.

I don't think he is going anywhere as he is certainly a future building block.  Eight goals and 16 points in 19 playoff games is not bad for a guy whose offense was supposed to be the weaker part of his game. He has stepped it up in the important games, a great sign. 

1 hour ago, DON said:

Guhle & #26 pick for #2 pick?(Nemec)

I see what you are going for here, but trading a much needed defensive prospect for an offensive one seems a little reckless.

My honest opinion, the only trade that should be acceptable that includes Guhle is for a slam dunk forward or more importantly an established young defensemen.  Basically trading the future for now.  The reality is nobody will trade a mid-20’s top-4 guy for a strong maybe in a couple of years.

9 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

...  Basically trading the future for now ...

And I don't think that the Habs are quite at the "future for now" stage ... right now anyway ... unless the deal is ridiculous ... for example purposes only, Makar or Fox.