Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

3 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Generally speaking, a mid-second-round pick plus 26 could get a team to 18.  Is that all Petry is worth, a mid-second-round pick?  I think they're shooting higher than that.

One idea for Dallas proposals, don't forget about Anton Khudobin.  One year left at $3.33M and they are actively trying to move him.  If the Habs took that contract on (goalie depth might not be all that bad of an idea), they should be able to get a better pick/prospect return.

I think they are shooting higher than that but what is Petry worth given his age and contract ?   It's hard to say what  the market is for him. He will be 35 next year.  I hope Hughes can pull a rabbit out of a hat. 

I don't see them taking on Khudobin without other moves being made as they still have Jake Allen for another year and it seems like Carey Price will be back at training camp to check things out.  They have too many dollars tied up in goal right now. 

1 hour ago, PMAC said:

HuGort have not sold low on any of our players and I don't think that they are going to start with Petry.

I think any deal for Petry will likely have multiple pieces to make it work. I also think it will be harder for Hughes to pull a rabbit out of the hat this time (hope I am wrong) as he had the advantage at the trade deadline of having teams lined up trying to find the final piece to the puzzle to win the cup.  The worst trades for the buyer are usually at the trade deadline. It will be a little  harder now. 

56 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I think any deal for Petry will likely have multiple pieces to make it work. I also think it will be harder for Hughes to pull a rabbit out of the hat this time (hope I am wrong) as he had the advantage at the trade deadline of having teams lined up trying to find the final piece to the puzzle to win the cup.  The worst trades for the buyer are usually at the trade deadline. It will be a little  harder now. 

seems to me it is much easier to be sellers than buyers, getting rid of established NHLers versus trading for a missing piece.

Petry is a good #4 D, a good 2nd pair RD that can play decent minutes and hold down a top pair spot for a few games. Paired with the right LD, he is still a capable D

But term and cap makes him hard to trade. I would package him with a middling prospect and a pick to get rid of the contract because the Habs have a couple of extra D prospects and a few too many draft picks

21 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I would package him with a middling prospect and a pick to get rid of the contract because the Habs have a couple of extra D prospects and a few too many draft picks

What kind of return do you hope to get with that package?

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Petry is a good #4 D

I would argue that he's better than a 4D. He averaged 1.04 points/60 last season on a crappy last-place Habs team, good for 58th for D-men (with at least 1000 minutes). The contract may be a burden, but Petry is still more than a 4D.

4 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

I would argue that he's better than a 4D. He averaged 1.04 points/60 last season on a crappy last-place Habs team, good for 58th for D-men (with at least 1000 minutes). The contract may be a burden, but Petry is still more than a 4D.

Assuming his disastrous first half was an outlier, Petry is a legit #2 defenceman.

Petry played like a #6 D under DD, and legitmately played like a #1D under MSL there.  Given he was really good in 2020-21 and every year before that as a Hab, I think we can get a good package for him.  Teams will see the dip as 1/2 a season when he wasnt in a good personal situation with his family and hated his coach.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

Petry played like a #6 D under DD, and legitmately played like a #1D under MSL there.  Given he was really good in 2020-21 and every year before that as a Hab, I think we can get a good package for him.  Teams will see the dip as 1/2 a season when he wasnt in a good personal situation with his family and hated his coach.

Yep. We’re in no rush of moving Petry and I hope our new GM will play it like Sakic did with Duchene and wait for the best offer. 

• Upvote 1

sorry for the late reply

On Petry, @dlbalr has pointed out multiple times, on my trade proposals where i include him, how low I value him. He is right, so please take my skewed view into consideration.

I think that an established team that is missing offense from the back end, Petry fits well if not for cap hit.

He is not a good addition to a young team with weak leadership; think of him as the equivalent of Drouin with respect to leadership: a complementary piece you do not build on.

Petry has always performed poorly defending one on one or on physical games. He has excelled on the PP and when paired with an Edmundson: I praised Edmundson's signing because he makes Petry so much better.

All these considerations, makes it difficult to find the right trading partner. What would I expect to get in return for Petry: a late first and a D prospect with the potential of Norlinder or Harris. Or, in advanced stats, a replacement for:

Expected Goals differential of +6 to +12

Point Shares of +7

Points/Season: 40 to 50

image.png

Edited by alfredoh2009
added clarification on what to look for in Defenseman prospect. Removed Clague whom I consider to have the potential of Petry but where I am probably wrong
  • Like 1

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/necas-and-oettinger-lead-seven-offer-sheet-candidates-for-2022-nhl-offseason/

"1. Martin Necas
Right Wing, Carolina Hurricanes
Stats: 78 GP, 14 G, 26 A, 40 points
Pending RFA, Career Earnings: $3.046 million
Scoop: It doesn’t quite feel like this feud between the Canes and Canadiens is over, does it? First Sebastian Aho, then revenge with Kotkaniemi. Sure, there is a new regime in Montreal. But it’s the same owner, and the the same Montreal fan base, and they both have long memories. Carolina is in a bit of a cap bind. They have $19 million to spend on seven players. Montreal has money to play with, especially if Carey Price is going to be out. Necas certainly fits Montreal’s age range. They’ve got a bevy of picks. Could you imagine if Montreal repays the favor and lands the better player? We’re here for that chaos."

46 minutes ago, DON said:

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/necas-and-oettinger-lead-seven-offer-sheet-candidates-for-2022-nhl-offseason/

"1. Martin Necas
Right Wing, Carolina Hurricanes
Stats: 78 GP, 14 G, 26 A, 40 points
Pending RFA, Career Earnings: $3.046 million
Scoop: It doesn’t quite feel like this feud between the Canes and Canadiens is over, does it? First Sebastian Aho, then revenge with Kotkaniemi. Sure, there is a new regime in Montreal. But it’s the same owner, and the the same Montreal fan base, and they both have long memories. Carolina is in a bit of a cap bind. They have $19 million to spend on seven players. Montreal has money to play with, especially if Carey Price is going to be out. Necas certainly fits Montreal’s age range. They’ve got a bevy of picks. Could you imagine if Montreal repays the favor and lands the better player? We’re here for that chaos."

Carolina is in better shape cap-wise than Montreal is.  The only bright spot is about $2.1m to $4.1m it will only cost Montreal’s 2nd round pick.  Which is the range he will sign for.

This likely has been discussed earlier in this thread somewhere but since we're a few days from the draft and then free-agency, and because evidently Pierre-Luc Dubois has told Winnipeg he is going to try free agency in two years (sounds like he wants out), do you think there is any way we could swing a trade for Pierre-Luc Dubois without including one of Suzuki or Caufield? 

35 minutes ago, REV-G said:

This likely has been discussed earlier in this thread somewhere but since we're a few days from the draft and then free-agency, and because evidently Pierre-Luc Dubois has told Winnipeg he is going to try free agency in two years (sounds like he wants out), do you think there is any way we could swing a trade for Pierre-Luc Dubois without including one of Suzuki or Caufield? 

NO thanks.

2 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Because they are choosing the Sloff?

Even if ... it's only two years. One year likely out of the playoffs, and a second year likely an early exit. Why would we spend cap space and picks/prospects in order to improve those two years?

8 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Even if ... it's only two years. One year likely out of the playoffs, and a second year likely an early exit. Why would we spend cap space and picks/prospects in order to improve those two years?

As discussed earlier, you would only trade for Dubois if:

1) he agreed to a reasonable extension

2) the price paid wasn't too ridiculous

3) you were planning on drafting Slafkovsky

Very doubtful all those things line up but you never know.  I prefer to continue with draft and develop. 

16 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

I agree that it would not be smart at all. It’s the only reason we would consider trading for PLD. 

I fully expect we choose Wright 

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I agree that it would not be smart at all. It’s the only reason we would consider trading for PLD. 

If he was a offensive 24yr old RH d-man, i could see it, but he isnt.

Listening to the end of the conference call, Hughes was asked about Petry.  He seemed to be very open to Petry coming back and when you think about, it's also a good negotiating ploy to make it seem like there is no panic at all to trade him. If there is not a decent offer then Petry likely stays. 

19 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Listening to the end of the conference call, Hughes was asked about Petry.  He seemed to be very open to Petry coming back and when you think about, it's also a good negotiating ploy to make it seem like there is no panic at all to trade him. If there is not a decent offer then Petry likely stays. 

I expect him gone before the draft but Hughes said the issue was an unvaccinated mother in law and Canadian border restrictions. 

That issue isn’t solved per se but she can cross the border now at least. 

26 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Yeah, we don't need a big centre who can put up 60 points. 

😄

As you know, of course, the issue is in imagining a trio of Suzuki/Wright/Dubois down the middle. Assuming Wright works out, that will be a TON of cap space eaten up at C...prima facie, not the best use of cap dollars, considering we could fill the third-C slot with a cheaper up-and-comer on an entry-level deal.

Then again, we would basically be indestructible down the middle. Possibly the best C depth in the league. And if flipping one of them to W is viable, there'd be that possibility too. That kind of strength and depth is indeed how contenders are made.

And as I've noted before, if the Habs end up with one of the top wingers for their pick, then dealing for Dubois makes a lot of sense. I still think the Dubois rumours, if there's anything to them, have to do with the Habs exploring the possibility of drafting someone other than Wright.