Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

I've been penning a Rangers piece for PHR for the last little bit and it's hammering home the fact that they need a cheap 2C and it's probably going to have to come through a trade.  If Montreal plans to move Dvorak (he has been speculated as a trade candidate even before the Dach deal), that feels like a logical landing spot.  I haven't thought this one through too much but a trade like this seems like it might be palatable for both sides.

To NYR

C Christian Dvorak (three years, $4.45M)

To MTL

D Nils Lundkvist (two years, $925K - ELC)

D Patrik Nemeth (two years, $2.5M) - assuming MTL isn't on his no-trade list

Lundkvist is a 2018 late first-rounder who just had his first season in North America and still needs a bit more time in the minors before being NHL-ready.  He's a right-shot player which is the need in Montreal's system with Wideman serving as a placeholder for the time being.  Nemeth is in there to match money a bit.  Hughes suggested he might want to add an LD following the Romanov trade and Nemeth could hold that short-term placeholder role and actually would complement Wideman's lack of defence relatively well on the third pairing.  Of course, this offer assumes that Montreal think Lundkvist still has second-pairing potential; if not, obviously this isn't an offer they'd want to do.  They gave up a first and a second to get him, used him for a year, and get a first (Lundkvist) back and might be able to flip Nemeth in 2023-24 for something small.

Montreal goes with Suzuki/Dach/Evans/Poehling down the middle which isn't great but Evans and Poehling are the oldest of the bunch.  If you want to give the youngsters a longer look, this is one way to do it.

Dvorak costs almost the same amount that Ryan Strome did on his set-to-expire deal so it doesn't drastically change New York's cap structure.  With three years left, it also gives them a bit of stability in that slot which helps knowing that Lafreniere, Chytil, and Miller are all up for deals a year from now.  Even if this specific move doesn't work, Dvorak feels like the type of centre they'd be after.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

I've been penning a Rangers piece for PHR for the last little bit and it's hammering home the fact that they need a cheap 2C and it's probably going to have to come through a trade.  If Montreal plans to move Dvorak (he has been speculated as a trade candidate even before the Dach deal), that feels like a logical landing spot.  I haven't thought this one through too much but a trade like this seems like it might be palatable for both sides.

To NYR

To MTL

Lundkvist is a 2018 late first-rounder who just had his first season in North America and still needs a bit more time in the minors before being NHL-ready.  He's a right-shot player which is the need in Montreal's system with Wideman serving as a placeholder for the time being.  Nemeth is in there to match money a bit.  Hughes suggested he might want to add an LD following the Romanov trade and Nemeth could hold that short-term placeholder role and actually would complement Wideman's lack of defence relatively well on the third pairing.  Of course, this offer assumes that Montreal think Lundkvist still has second-pairing potential; if not, obviously this isn't an offer they'd want to do.  They gave up a first and a second to get him, used him for a year, and get a first (Lundkvist) back and might be able to flip Nemeth in 2023-24 for something small.

Montreal goes with Suzuki/Dach/Evans/Poehling down the middle which isn't great but Evans and Poehling are the oldest of the bunch.  If you want to give the youngsters a longer look, this is one way to do it.

Dvorak costs almost the same amount that Ryan Strome did on his set-to-expire deal so it doesn't drastically change New York's cap structure.  With three years left, it also gives them a bit of stability in that slot which helps knowing that Lafreniere, Chytil, and Miller are all up for deals a year from now.  Even if this specific move doesn't work, Dvorak feels like the type of centre they'd be after.

Unless there is a huge upside I’m not seeing in Lundquist, I’d want more than that for Dvorak.

With the moves Hughes is making it looks like he is trying to get into the playoffs next year - I don’t think Lundquist is going to help in that.

10 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

... With the moves Hughes is making it looks like he is trying to get into the playoffs next year ...

I disagree ... HuGo have always spoken of a sustainable rebuild ... that doesn't happen in one draft/season ... I do think they are trying to accelerate the rebuild ... not make the 2022/23 playoffs.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

I disagree ... HuGo have always spoken of a sustainable rebuild ... that doesn't happen in one draft/season ... I do think they are trying to accelerate the rebuild ... not make the 2022/23 playoffs.

I assume the previous posts refer to the acquisition of Dach.  I don't look at that move as trying accelerate the rebuild although it may.  I think it was simply a case of having the opportunity to acquire a 21 year old who was thought highly enough of to be drafted #3 and who suffered a bad injury that really hindered his development. There may have been other factors but Hughes saw the chance to get him at a reasonable price and didn't want to pass it up. 

I think Romanov's ceiling is a 2nd paring defenseman, perhaps putting up a maximum of  20-25 points in a season while Dach's ceiling could be substantial 

I haven't followed Lundkvist enough to give an intelligent opinion on the trade proposal but I think Dvorak's time could be coming to an end as he is tradeable with Dach here.  Not sure you want to pay a 3rd line center 4.5m/year on a rebuilding team. Of course that is assuming that Dach can turn it around. No guarantee that will happen. 

• Like 1

Well, was noted Hughes said he tried to sell a package of picks 26 & 33, but couldnt find a taker to trade up with.

Seems likely some bigger contract (or two) is shipped out in the next week. Not keen on seeing Dvorak or Anderson be dealt but seem the 2 most likely candidates to go and not a clue when Petry will be dealt, July or March 2023?. 

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Unless there is a huge upside I’m not seeing in Lundquist, I’d want more than that for Dvorak.

With the moves Hughes is making it looks like he is trying to get into the playoffs next year - I don’t think Lundquist is going to help in that.

He was pegged as a two-way d-man with a lot of speed which got him into the first round.  He seems like the type of defender they'd like to bring in assuming that hasn't changed.  That said, it has been a few years since he was picked so the overall trajectory could be different now.

I am updating my trade proposal, now that Klingberg has indicated he won't be coming back to Dallas:

On 3/4/2022 at 10:10 AM, alfredoh2009 said:

I am updating my trade proposal based on Blair's post on Klingberg

How about:

To Dallas: Petry ($6.25M) and Allen ($2.85M)

To Montreal: Klingberg ($4.25M, maybe $8M next year) Holtby ($2M/pending UFA) and Jack Bar

[...]

To DAL: Petry ($6.25M/2025) and Armia ($3.4M/2025)

To MTL: Mavric Bourque (20 yr., 2020 # 30, $0.894M/2025) and 2023 (late) 2nd or

Jacob Peterson (22 yr., 2017 # 132, $0.842M/2023) and 2023 (late) 1st

It is an underpay by some estimates, but it allows Dallas to replace Klingberg (4.25M) and Radulov ($6.25M) cap hits ($10.5M) with similar cap hit ($9.65M) but similar goal production (10g 59a) vs (12g 29a); assists were down this last season but it should be closer to Petry (12g 30a) + Armia (12g 15a)

Out of the DAL prospects, there are not that many in the 20-21 years old range. Also, I doubt they would be giving up a defenseman. Adding these two players to Dallas may help them stay in contention for the remaining of Jamie Benn's contract (until 2025), before they have to rebuild.

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I am updating my trade proposal, now that Klingberg has indicated he won't be coming back to Dallas:

It is an underpay by some estimates, but it allows Dallas to replace Klingberg (4.25M) and Radulov ($6.25M) cap hits ($10.5M) with similar cap hit ($9.65M) but similar goal production (10g 59a) vs (12g 29a); assists were down this last season but it should be closer to Petry (12g 30a) + Armia (12g 15a)

Out of the DAL prospects, there are not that many in the 20-21 years old range. Also, I doubt they would be giving up a defenseman. Adding these two players to Dallas may help them stay in contention for the remaining of Jamie Benn's contract (until 2025), before they have to rebuild.

I like the thought process ... IMO part of the "return" has to be considered to include the cap space cleared ... my offer would simply be for their 2023 first ... I would add the Habs 2023 3rd (Dallas doesn't have one) to the two vets ... I expect it likely isn't quite enough ... perhaps take back Luke Glendenning (33 yrs-old, $1.5 AAV for one season, 3rd/4th line TOI last season - 4th line in playoffs) if the Stars want to move some cap hit for next season. ... and/or add their choice of Struble or Norlinder.

24 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

I like the thought process ... IMO part of the "return" has to be considered to include the cap space cleared ... my offer would simply be for their 2023 first ... I would add the Habs 2023 3rd (Dallas doesn't have one) to the two vets ... I expect it likely isn't quite enough ... perhaps take back Luke Glendenning (33 yrs-old, $1.5 AAV for one season, 3rd/4th line TOI last season - 4th line in playoffs) if the Stars want to move some cap hit for next season. ... and/or add their choice of Struble or Norlinder.

I would be thrilled with their 2023  1st  but I think it will be difficult to extract a 1st round pick next year given how strong a draft it will be but I would be pushing for it.  Might have to throw in something else.  I don't think Dallas would be interested in Armia. 

Given that Klingberg is likely out the door you would think that Dallas will be asking about Petry unless another UFA makes sense to them. 

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Dallas adds nearly $10 million with either option, leaving less than $9 million to re-sign Jason Robertson and Jake Oettinger.  They simply can't afford to add that much money.  Armia is someone they'd have zero interest in unless they're sending someone like Faksa back to offset the money.

I saw this trade proposal on the Leafs board and I had to laugh. Norris is 23 and had 35 goals in 66 games  last year.  Kerfoot is a UFA in a year. Talk about living in dreamland. 

Alex Kerfoot (after his bonus is paid, leaving him with $750 000)
For
Murray (50% retained)
Josh Norris

On 7/9/2022 at 4:33 PM, dlbalr said:

To NYR

To MTL

Great proposal, fills needs of both teams. The RD is one of the weaker spots in our (fairly strong) system 

Good quality draft in 2023, two 1st picks already (weaker Florida team should help a bit).

Clearing cap for some 'picks-prospects-youth' in return next Feb also wont hurt.

https://montrealhockeynow.com/2022/07/15/improved-atlantic-division-a-blessing-in-disguise-for-montreal-canadiens/

PREPARE TO UNLOAD CONTRACTS THROUGHOUT SEASON

If they aren’t moved during the offseason, the Canadiens will have the ability to trade some pretty interesting contracts at next year’s trade deadline. Players like Evgenii Dadonov, Jonathan Drouin, Jake Allen and Paul Byron will all be free agents in the summer of 2023 and could fetch interesting returns if the Canadiens want to acquire more youth and prospects to help them be more aggressive next summer. Other contracts like those of Mike Hoffman or Jeff Petry may also be easier to move at that point if they are able to perform up to their standards, with less risk and term on their deal than at present.

33 minutes ago, Dalhabs said:

I hope somehow both Detroit and Ottawa will pass Florida in the division.

I do too ... but suspect that would take bad seasons from both Knight and Bobrovsky. 

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

I do too ... but suspect that would take bad seasons from both Knight and Bobrovsky. 

That's definitely possible but on paper, that team has been weakened this summer.  Chiarot, Giroux, and Marchment out while Duclair is injured.  In are Colin White, Nick Cousins, Rudolfs Balcers, Marc Staal, and Eric Staal.  I like most of those signings for the Panthers but there's no denying they're a worse team on paper.  If their secondary players don't fare as well in Paul Maurice's system as they did under Quenneville/Brunette's, I think they'll come back to the pack a little bit.

What d'yall think about the persistent rumours that P.L. Dubois is gonna be a Hab soon? I know that there have been Dubois to MTL rumours forever, and I normally don't pay attention to them, but for some reason, these latest rumours are making me think that this might happen. What I read was that the Habs offered Dvorak, 2023 1st round pick(the one we got from Florida) and another young prospect (ie. Norlinder) Apparently that wasn't enough for Winnipeg. 

11 minutes ago, Habsfan said:

What d'yall think about the persistent rumours that P.L. Dubois is gonna be a Hab soon? I know that there have been Dubois to MTL rumours forever, and I normally don't pay attention to them, but for some reason, these latest rumours are making me think that this might happen. What I read was that the Habs offered Dvorak, 2023 1st round pick(the one we got from Florida) and another young prospect (ie. Norlinder) Apparently that wasn't enough for Winnipeg. 

If places were reversed, I wouldn't let PLD go for Dvorak, a mid-to-late first and a B/C level prospect ...if Winnipeg decides it is time to rebuild it will take more in terms of pick(s) and prospects and if they remain in "now" mode it would take more "current talent" than just Dvorak.

The benefit of such a deal is that a new contract can be a bit cheaper as it buys out two RFA years rather than signing as a UFA ... but a question that comes to mind is whether it is certain that PLD is a centre ... I've read/heard reports he should be a LW ... that impacts his value.

1 hour ago, Habsfan said:

It seems that these new rumours are being fanned by PLD’s agent.  For Winnipeg this is bad, PLD wants out and everyone has seen what he plays like when he wants out.  It will lower his value, especially as I believe he only has 2 more RFA years, I could be wrong about this.

52 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

It seems that these new rumours are being fanned by PLD’s agent.  For Winnipeg this is bad, PLD wants out and everyone has seen what he plays like when he wants out.  It will lower his value, especially as I believe he only has 2 more RFA years, I could be wrong about this.

Youbare correct. 2 yrs left on rfa!

On 3/10/2022 at 6:09 PM, alfredoh2009 said:

Just in case it happens:

To Montreal: Teddy Blueger (4C, $2.2M/2023, 54.8 FO%) and 2022 1st

To Pittsburgh: Lehkonen and Poehling

Habs get another 1st round pick and replace Poehling with someone who can center the Habs bottom-6 with Blueger, Dvorak, Evans or Dauphin competing for 2C.

Pens get a cheap center that may become a 3C and a hot LW/RW that will probably do well on the top 2 lines but that will give them lots of depth on the wings if he plays on the 3rd line. Lehkonen would do well in Pittsburgh

I got Poehling right on this proposal, but couldn't align the others to win at B-I-N-G-O

I hope Poehling finds his game with his new team, it makes me happy to see young people develop and become successful

I'm actually torn as to what to think about Dubois.  The strange thing is that I have always had him in my long term arm chair GMing plans, but lately I'm not so sure.  The Habs seem to be cursed with Centers that were picked 3rd overall.  ex:  Chucky, KK, Drouin, and now Dach (still unknown).

41 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

That's primarily why I question if he is a good idea.  Imagine the Habs give up players to get him, sign him long term, and he eventually becomes unhappy.  It seems like whenever he doesn't get his way he turns into a huge problem and wants out, like Petry last year.   If you have a star player making big $ with many years on their contract who is playing like crap and is publicly requesting a trade that would be a major nightmare.  

Plus, now that the Habs have Dach, if he works out well and they get Dubois it would screw all the C prospects for years.  i.e. Suzuki, Dubois, Dach for 5-10 yrs.  The Habs will lose on the future trades of the C prospects they dont have room for because they will lack NHL experience to know their value.  

There are numerous Con arguments against trading for Dubois. 

I'd wait until he is a UFA and by then it should be known if Dach will turn out, and if he doesn't then sign Dubois.