Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

1 minute ago, Commandant said:

Beaudin is intriguing, but Left handed.

I believe the Habs have better options withing their organization of left-handed Ds that can play RD, better than any waived LDs that may come down the pipe

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Beaudin is intriguing, but Left handed.

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I believe the Habs have better options withing their organization of left-handed Ds that can play RD, better than any waived LDs that may come down the pipe

I expect that *****IF***** Beaudin were of interest, it would be because HuGo feel Nicolas has more potential than Fairbrother or Norlinder, not necessarily as a possible RD solution ... if claimed, they would have to keep him on the roster (likely as the 7D) and maybe try to sneak him through waivers later in the season.

19 hours ago, GHT120 said:

I expect that *****IF***** Beaudin were of interest, it would be because HuGo feel Nicolas has more potential than Fairbrother or Norlinder, not necessarily as a possible RD solution ... if claimed, they would have to keep him on the roster (likely as the 7D) and maybe try to sneak him through waivers later in the season.

If they look at Beaudin or any LD guy, it probably comes with Harris being shifted more regularly to the right side.  Then, they'd have Savard, Wideman, and one of Barron/Harris in the lineup on any given night (the other perhaps in Laval?).  The new LD would probably take the spot of Schueneman who is tanking his NHL chances quickly in the 7D spot.

• 2 weeks later...

Inspired by the speculation from Francois Gagnon of RDS that the Habs at least pondered the idea of claiming Mike Reilly off waivers coupled with a short-term need to add a semi-competent veteran defender, here's a half-hearted attempt at a trade idea:

To Montreal:

D Mike Reilly ($3M through 2023-24)

F Nick Foligno ($3.8M in 2022-23; pending waiving of partial NTC)

To Boston:

F Mike Hoffman ($4.5M through 2023-24)

F Cam Hillis (balancing the number of contracts...plus I had a dream a while back that I wrote something about him being traded to Boston)

Why for Montreal: Short-term LD help with Matheson out long-term and probably Edmundson and he dabbled on RD with the Habs in the past.  Frees up $1.5M on the cap in 2023-24.  This assumes that Byron won't be back this season or least until late in the year when they've been able to move out a veteran or two.

Why for Boston: Saves $2.3M (full-season) this year.  Once McAvoy and Marchand return, they'll be out of LTIR and needing to free up cap space.  This would solve that.  They have enough depth defensively to absorb Reilly's loss with Stralman signing and Foligno is doing nothing up front; Hoffman can't be any worse.  They're in win-now mode and this deal helps on that front in the form of cost savings and the potential of adding scoring help.  Granted, they can free up similar money by burying these two in the minors so a lot comes down to whether they think Hoffman can fill a void.

I think Drouin ($5.5M) could be subbed in - less short-term savings for Boston but they clear more off the cap next year.  I'm not sure the Habs want to add $3M so in that scenario, I imagine they might ask the Bruins to retain a small chunk of Reilly's deal (say, $750K - 25%). 

Both are complicated deals to fill a small void but with so many teams capped out, even a small move isn't always the easiest to make.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Inspired by the speculation from Francois Gagnon of RDS that the Habs at least pondered the idea of claiming Mike Reilly off waivers coupled with a short-term need to add a semi-competent veteran defender, here's a half-hearted attempt at a trade idea:

To Montreal:

To Boston:

F Cam Hillis (balancing the number of contracts...plus I had a dream a while back that I wrote something about him being traded to Boston)

Why for Montreal: Short-term LD help with Matheson out long-term and probably Edmundson and he dabbled on RD with the Habs in the past.  Frees up $1.5M on the cap in 2023-24.  This assumes that Byron won't be back this season or least until late in the year when they've been able to move out a veteran or two.

Why for Boston: Saves $2.3M (full-season) this year.  Once McAvoy and Marchand return, they'll be out of LTIR and needing to free up cap space.  This would solve that.  They have enough depth defensively to absorb Reilly's loss with Stralman signing and Foligno is doing nothing up front; Hoffman can't be any worse.  They're in win-now mode and this deal helps on that front in the form of cost savings and the potential of adding scoring help.  Granted, they can free up similar money by burying these two in the minors so a lot comes down to whether they think Hoffman can fill a void.

I think Drouin ($5.5M) could be subbed in - less short-term savings for Boston but they clear more off the cap next year.  I'm not sure the Habs want to add $3M so in that scenario, I imagine they might ask the Bruins to retain a small chunk of Reilly's deal (say, $750K - 25%). 

Both are complicated deals to fill a small void but with so many teams capped out, even a small move isn't always the easiest to make.

i like it, you know I am a sucker for reclamation projects and I liked Mike when he played for the Habs. Also, this gets rid of Hoffman who is clogging the bottom 6 and is not useful to the kid’s development upfront 

21 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

... i like it, you know I am a sucker for reclamation projects and I liked Mike when he played for the Habs ...

IMOI this is a band-aid, not a reclamation project for the Habs ... maybe for another deadline deal.

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

To Montreal:

To Boston:

I also like it ... and on an expiring contract Foligno could be veteran deadline depth if the Habs retain 50% of whatever is left at that time.

I would have preferred picking up Valimaki on waivers. He’s another young prospect, but at least he is a bit older. I’d rather out try out a two way 24 year old dman than go with three 20-22 years olds. We have first chance at waiver pick ups and should be taking advantage of those opportunities.

38 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I would have preferred picking up Valimaki on waivers. He’s another young prospect, but at least he is a bit older. I’d rather out try out a two way 24 year old dman than go with three 20-22 years olds. We have first chance at waiver pick ups and should be taking advantage of those opportunities.

Not certain there was a roster slot/need at the time ... they can't claim everyone ... but given the endorsements found on here their passing was a bit surprising.

46 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Not certain there was a roster slot/need at the time ... they can't claim everyone ... but given the endorsements found on here their passing was a bit surprising.

A couple of years ago, he looked well on his way to being a top-four guy.  Then he got hurt and last season he just struggled.  If he can get back to his pre-injury level, he could be a top-four player still but if his play last year is a sign of things to come, he's a pricey depth piece.  With Montreal's tight cap situation to start the season (until Byron went on IR), they'd have had a hard time fitting him in.

• 2 weeks later...

I dunno, the Canuckleheads have this 23-year-old LD Jack Rathbone, who can really skate and was a PPG guy over 40 games in the AHL last season. But he can barely crack their atrocious, injury-depleted NHL lineup at D. The coaching staff clearly doesn’t like him. Would there be any percentage in the Habs poking around regarding him? Presumably the return would be fairly modest, but I don’t know who we might be sending back. Anyhow, it’s just a thought for a minor move.

I've always been leery of Rathbone's ability to defend.  There's also the fact he'd have to stay up with the big club.  Right now, it's not impossible (Xhekaj could definitely use some time in Laval) but then when Matheson comes back, there's a logjam that forces them to waive someone, carry 8 D, or send one of Guhle/Harris down.  None of those are great scenarios.

I guess a lot depends on your confidence level in Harris playing his off-side (and the confidence that someone will inevitably get hurt by the time Matheson returns).  They could run a second pairing of him and Edmundson and then use Rathbone/Kovacevic on the third pairing (Wideman should be in the press box as soon as possible).  I just don't know if his offensive upside is enough to offset the defensive adventures that usually occur when he's on the ice.

I much rather see Harris play RD or LD and outperform all in Laval to develop into a stud than to see him do well in the NHL but to a lesser level of his potential

To Van:

Gallagher

2nd rounder

To MTL:

Myers

The Canucks get the better player, a hard-working hometown boy who can hopefully galvanize their listless lineup. They get rid of Myers, a useless plug. We get out of the end of Gally's albatross contract, and pay a decent pick for the privilege.

Notwithstanding the fact that the Canucks are pretty much decimated on defence right now, look at what Vancouver has coming up contract-wise.  Horvat this summer and Pettersson the year after that.  Myers is off the books in 2024 and they need his money to keep those guys.  Adding Gallagher means that they can't afford to keep one of those other two in all likelihood.

Alvin is, I think, keenly aware of the need for cap flexibility - yet he just chained himself to JT Miller, possibly due to the bullying of the owner. I doubt he has the slightest interest in Gallagher.

Despite my earlier post about Rathbone (who I still think is worth the Habs inquiring about), the Canucks and Habs seem poor trade partners. Both are looking to clear dead-weight contracts and are looking for youth. The Canucks are desperate for help on D, which is where the Habs need to hoard assets. 

• 2 weeks later...

For context

Pelletier would be the local media popular starting point but I would prefer building a deal starting with Coronato (a teammate of Sean Farrell) ... cap-issues would be a challenge (quite possibly an insurmountable obstacle) ... I'd rather take back a contract than retain salary for four seasons ... Maybe Lucic if he would waive his M-NTC (unless the Habs are on his 10-team "trade to" list ... he did supposedly almost sign with Montreal back in 2016) ... OR ... maybe include Wideman and instead get back Kylington and Zadorov (SHORT-term send Harris and/or Xhekaj to Laval and assess the newbies possible roles for the long-term, and/or trade one/both), but might make it tougher to get a good prospect. 

13 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

For context

Pelletier would be the local media popular starting point but I would prefer building a deal starting with Coronato (a teammate of Sean Farrell) ... cap-issues would be a challenge (quite possibly an insurmountable obstacle) ... I'd rather take back a contract than retain salary for four seasons ... Maybe Lucic if he would waive his M-NTC (unless the Habs are on his 10-team "trade to" list ... he did supposedly almost sign with Montreal back in 2016) ... OR ... maybe include Wideman and instead get back Kylington and Zadorov (SHORT-term send Harris and/or Xhekaj to Laval and assess the newbies possible roles for the long-term, and/or trade one/both), but might make it tougher to get a good prospect. 

I can’t see a scenario where HuGo retain salary for the duration of Anderson’s contract. I also think there would be interest from a few teams. 

Nothing to do with your post but I wonder if anything we have might interest Edmonton as a replacement for Kane? Edmonton could use the LTIR to game the system like Tampa did. 

Hoffman or Drouin perhaps?

12 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

... Nothing to do with your post but I wonder if anything we have might interest Edmonton as a replacement for Kane? Edmonton could use the LTIR to game the system like Tampa did. 

Hoffman or Drouin perhaps?

Hoffman or Drouin would be a more direct substitution ... but Edmundson might be the better addition for them ... HOWEVER, Kane is currently expected to be back no later than trade deadline-ish (3-4 months, see below) ... I doubt the Oilers consider using LTIR to make a trade unless post-surgery, early in his rehab, indications are that Kane will be out the whole season.

9 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Nothing to do with your post but I wonder if anything we have might interest Edmonton as a replacement for Kane? Edmonton could use the LTIR to game the system like Tampa did. 

I was thinking the same thing. Kane is out 3-4 months and they will miss him badly. He brings such a physical presence up front that no one else on the team can replace. Plus Calgary is struggling. Perhaps the market for Josh Anderson will heat up? As always, navigating the salary cap is an issue.

13 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I can’t see a scenario where HuGo retain salary for the duration of Anderson’s contract. I also think there would be interest from a few teams ...

Totally agree ... I should have phrased it that way rather than just as my preference.

9 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I was thinking the same thing. Kane is out 3-4 months and they will miss him badly. He brings such a physical presence up front that no one else on the team can replace. Plus Calgary is struggling. Perhaps the market for Josh Anderson will heat up? As always, navigating the salary cap is an issue.

Unless Kane ends up being out for the rest of the season, the Oilers will have to bring his full AAV back onto the cap when he returns ... so unlikely the Oilers make a LTIR-based trade ... IMO (for what little it is worth) the NHL should consider leaving the AAV for time missed on LTIR off the cap, encouraging more creativity/trading and help contenders compensate and non-contenders rebuild/re-tool/re-stock ... BUT, it would require STRICT enforcement of LTIR.