Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

And plan 'C' may be simply keep him, hope he has solid 23-24 season and trade him next March.

Supposedly Savard, Wideman & Edmundson are good with the younger players off the ice, so how much value is that worth?

2 minutes ago, DON said:

And plan 'C' may be simply keep him, hope he has solid 23-24 season and trade him next March.

Supposedly Savard, Wideman & Edmundson are good with the younger players off the ice, so how much value is that worth?

Part of the equation is where do HuGo see the "Fab Five" playing next season ... if it is with the Habs there just isn't room for both Savard and Edmundson ... Wideman remains a reasonably priced 7D for next season.

I think a potential Edmundson trade will depend on the return.  I don’t mean that in the literal way.  If the target return is draft picks, this year would the season to trade him.  If the target is young players, next year would be better season to trade him.  

Picks take longer to develop generally, so it pushes the actual return further down the road.  

Realistically our five rookie dmen... Where do they project?

1 pairing - Guhle

2 pairing - Barron/Harris

3 Pairing - Kovavic (have really not seen him enough to know)

Christ who knows - Xhejak

So for development we kinda want want a solid minute guy for the 1st pairing at least? Im not sure if either Edmonston is the best fit with his back issues. I'd say moving him now is for the best.

17 minutes ago, Plutarch said:

1 pairing - Guhle

So for development we kinda want want a solid minute guy for the 1st pairing at least? Im not sure if either Edmonston is the best fit with his back issues. I'd say moving him now is for the best.

I want Xhekaj to be top-4, but I believe he will be a 3rd pair guy, which he almost is right now.  He needs to work on his discipline and defence.

3 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

I want Xhekaj to be top-4, but I believe he will be a 3rd pair guy, which he almost is right now.  He needs to work on his discipline and defence.

For all the talk about how well Guhle has played and how Arber needs to improve,  Arber is +1  and Guhle is -14

I know not everyone believes in +/- but it must count for something. 

2 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

For all the talk about how well Guhle has played and how Arber needs to improve,  Arber is +1  and Guhle is -14

I know not everyone believes in +/- but it must count for something. 

Guhle plays against better opposition, so the +/- needs to be taken with a huge grain of salt, like it should be at the best of times.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Plutarch said:

1 pairing - Guhle

I think you ranked it perfectly 👍

Xhekaj- Kovacevic is my 3rd pair for the rebuild 

I hope for Guhle - Barron as the top pair but Barron is far from that level at this point 

I think the 2nd pair is up for grabs as far as the rebuild goes

13 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Xhekaj- Kovacevic is my 3rd pair for the rebuild 

I hope for Guhle - Barron as the top pair but Barron is far from that level at this point 

I think the 2nd pair is up for grabs as far as the rebuild goes

I would say all rookie d-men are questionmarks at moment and are also rookie d-men in the NHL, so pigeonholing them at this point seems a "tad' premature,:popcorn:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DON said:

I would say all rookie d-men are questionmarks at moment and are also rookie d-men in the NHL, so pigeonholing them at this point seems a "tad' premature,:popcorn:

Totally agree in terms of slotting ... but deciding whether they will be in the top 6 next season is important to the planning process, and possibly the upcoming trade deadline, as it would mean there is room for only one of Savard and Edmundson.

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

... there is room for only one of Savard and Edmundson.

I would disagree with that.  Savard is a RHD, which we have a shortage of.  He is more valuable from his handedness alone and I would call him out best defenseman this year when healthy, but the bar is low.  Edmundson is the dispensable one.

22 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

I would disagree with that.  Savard is a RHD, which we have a shortage of.  He is more valuable from his handedness alone and I would call him out best defenseman this year when healthy, but the bar is low.  Edmundson is the dispensable one.

They are definitely light on the right side now so trading Savard will leave a big gap plus he has 2 more years after this one on his contract so he will be more difficult to trade anyway. In 2 years perhaps Barron and Mailloux will be ready. I think Edmundson will also fetch a bigger return so he seems like the more obvious one to trade.  That is assuming he is healthy.

I think this team has been lacking a steady veteren dman that is steady defensively, but also adept at moving the puck since Markov (Weber was injured and ineffective for long stretches due to his ailments before the last hurrah performance in the finals).

We’ve been signing a bunch of guys suites for middle/bottom pairing roles, and keep throwing kids into the fire before they are ready.  

with Nashville falling, I’m wondering if it would be worth picking up a guy like McDonough might be an option (who should never have been traded and along with Subban could have been part of a dynamite first pairing for 15 years…. Sorry still bitter about the Gomez trade!!!)

I know he is too old to fit the window to be a main piece for when we will truly be ready to be a legit contender. I also knows he carries a full NMC. But if he was willing would it be worth it to try and get him to mentor our young D for three years, if it meant moving a 2024 first rounder (one from Calgary)?

is rather have a guy like him to be a leader and mentor for the D than an Edmondson, or Savard.

when Chelios, Kurvers, Svoboda all came up, we had Robinson as an anchor. It wouldn’t hurt to have that type of guy again to guide Guhke, Harris, Wifi, and the other young D.

I doubt McDonough is coming north of the border to a team in a rebuild ... but a viable target on the Predators might be Ekholm ... doesn't have a NTC and I believe has experience playing on the right-side despite being a left-shot.

On 1/5/2023 at 12:32 PM, hab29RETIRED said:

I know he is too old to fit the window to be a main piece for when we will truly be ready to be a legit contender. I also knows he carries a full NMC. But if he was willing would it be worth it to try and get him to mentor our young D for three years, if it meant moving a 2024 first rounder (one from Calgary)?

You're one that typically doesn't like when the Habs sign players on the decline so I'm surprised you're suggesting this.  McDonagh's contract is above market value as he's already showing signs of slowing down.  I don't think that trend is going to change so I certainly wouldn't advocate trading a first-rounder for him.  I'm not sure I'd want that contract for free, to be honest.

8 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

You're one that typically doesn't like when the Habs sign players on the decline so I'm surprised you're suggesting this.  McDonagh's contract is above market value as he's already showing signs of slowing down.  I don't think that trend is going to change so I certainly wouldn't advocate trading a first-rounder for him.  I'm not sure I'd want that contract for free, to be honest.

I’ve always said you need a good veteran dman to mentor a good dman. Getting veteren grunts isn’t the same as having a veteren dman that was elite, or a veteren forward like Perry. It’s why i hated MB. He’d keep binging grunt veterans, or guys that were clearly washed up (Briere). It’s why I wanted to resign a Markov for 2 years. I can’t believe he didn’t resign Markov and a few years later resigned a bum like a Hoffman. Had we kept Markov, and Not made the idiotic Sergechev trade, we’d have a stud on D right now.

McDonough is declining, but isn’t washed up. We aren’t bringing him here to get in the playoffs like the MB Hail Mary signings to see if anything can happen🙄. We would be bringing him in to mentor our young D, so they are ready to be elite in 2-3 years. This team needs a skilled veteren D man to help guide the kids. If his value is lower all the better. If he can be a leader in year 3, when hopefully we are ready to make the playoffs, he’d be an asset at the end of his deal as well.

I agree completely with the principle that you need vets to mentor the kids.

That being said, we already have Edmundson, Savard, and Matheson. If you’re focusing on puck-moving D specifically, why not just stick with Matheson? (And there’s Wideman too, of course). 

Maybe Matheson has been invisible this season due to injuries, but that can happen to anyone. 

Do we really want to give up assets for McDonagh, therefore? This might actually be a case where, once we unload Edmundson, a bit of Bergevin-style bargain bin UFA hunting could actually make sense.

Come to think of it, I’m not sure that a player needs to be mentored by a veteran of the same profile. Good ol’ pylon Skills Gill took PK under his wing and that seemed to work out OK. 

27 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I agree completely with the principle that you need vets to mentor the kids.

That being said, we already have Edmundson, Savard, and Matheson. If you’re focusing on puck-moving D specifically, why not just stick with Matheson? (And there’s Wideman too, of course). 

Maybe Matheson has been invisible this season due to injuries, but that can happen to anyone. 

Do we really want to give up assets for McDonagh, therefore? This might actually be a case where, once we unload Edmundson, a bit of Bergevin-style bargain bin UFA hunting could actually make sense.

Come to think of it, I’m not sure that a player needs to be mentored by a veteran of the same profile. Good ol’ pylon Skills Gill took PK under his wing and that seemed to work out OK. 

We had a grizzled vet stud in Markov already back than. Right now we need our young kids be top pairing guys. I don’t see Matheson or Edmondson as top pairing dmen. I’d rather have a vet on the top pair, that you can rotate kids with.

who knows given his salary, we may not even have to give up much for McDonough, unless Nashville is willing to eat a portion of his salary to move him to a contender.

i liked when we had Robinson that a Chelios, Svoboda, kurvers could play with. Rightnow IMO, our only true top pairing dman is Guhle and he is a rookie.

I think the playoff race will be very interesting in the Western Conference this year. Winnipeg and Vegas have improved substantially and Seattle doesn't appear to be going away.  Colorado is starting to get some of their guys back and Nashville is on a roll right now. That means Edmonton and Calgary are far from being a lock to make the playoffs. I would expect Holland and Treliving to be gone if their teams don't make the playoffs. There is a lot of pressure on both of them to get there. 

Who can we pry from those teams?  Holloway, Bourgault, Pelletier, more draft picks? 

19 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I think the playoff race will be very interesting in the Western Conference this year. Winnipeg and Vegas have improved substantially and Seattle doesn't appear to be going away.  Colorado is starting to get some of their guys back and Nashville is on a roll right now. That means Edmonton and Calgary are far from being a lock to make the playoffs. I would expect Holland and Treliving to be gone if their teams don't make the playoffs. There is a lot of pressure on both of them to get there. 

Who can we pry from those teams?  Holloway, Bourgault, Pelletier, more draft picks? 

Calgary is going to pick up Monahan aren’t they?

Edmundson to Edmonton is going to happen too

4 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I’ve been seeing Monahan linked to Colorado for a few weeks now.  

18 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Edmonton certainly is a plausible candidate to bid hard in the Edmundston sweepstakes. Not only do the names go well together, but EDM is desperate to solidify their blueline. I’ve heard serious rumblings that they’re pursuing Jason Chychrun, though. If they land him, then that’s one fewer buyer for good old Joel. I assume it will come down to whether Holland decides they need a blood-and-guts “stabilizer” (Edmundson) or a puck-moder (Chychrun). I think Edmundson will cost less and actually give them more of what they really need in the playoffs, but there’s a case for building on your strength (puck-moving) with a guy who is a much better overall player than our guy.