Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

23 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

Perhaps Byron may be of interest to Edmonton as well.  I don’t think there’s any confirmation he will for sure return this season, only hopeful speculation.

Adding a player on LTIR offers no in-season cap benefit.

42 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

As Edmonton didn’t add any cap since Kane was injured, I’m not sure how they would need to clear cap space for his return.  I’m not a cap expert though.  Perhaps Byron may be of interest to Edmonton as well.  I don’t think there’s any confirmation he will for sure return this season, only hopeful speculation.

They didn't acquire anyone but they did add cap by turning around and recalling players (Janmark and Kostin) when Kane was injured and another recall since then (the current one is Vincent Desharnais).  To activate Kane, those guys (or someone else making the same money or more) have to all come off the roster to get compliant again.

Actually, Byron for Puljujarvi might be of interest to Edmonton.  They barely have enough cap space to absorb Byron's higher AAV while adding that money to their LTIR pool would let them keep the three players they have up now (they'd fit into Byron's cap hit) and then activate Kane into Puljujarvi's roster spot.  That said, it doesn't work cap-wise for Montreal.

7 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

I wouldn’t be opposed to Edmundson and Xhekaj for Puljujarvi and Broberg, even if Montreal had to add something else like a late round or conditional pick, as long as it doesn’t include Montreal’s or Florida’s first.

Why the Fxck would we be adding anything???? Even if we didn’t add anything, I’m don’t think I’d want to make that deal, even though I’d live to get Broberg.

7 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Why the Fxck would we be adding anything???? Even if we didn’t add anything, I’m don’t think I’d want to make that deal, even though I’d live to get Broberg.

Yup, proposing to trade Xhekaj just seems so wrong.

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Broberg is very frustrating to watch. He is very good at skating... But doesn't seem capable of doing anything else. The amount of times I've seen him skate himself into trouble... It's shocking. I want no part of that player. Maybe he clicks but I wouldn't bet on it.

On 1/14/2023 at 2:42 PM, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I agree the Oilers are thinking shorter term and Edmundson is a better fit. I also don't think the Habs will trade Xhekaj because he brings something to the team no one else brings plus his true value hasn't been established yet. I am sure they want to continue to see him develop and not short change themselves by trading him too early if at all. 

I do not know if I posted this already. I remember writing it, but I may have deleted the text and not posted.

If I manged the Habs assets like a football/soccer team, I would "sell" some players that have gained more value than expected (Xhekaj, Roy, Evans) to address a club need (RD, goaltender)

I know the NHL is not managed that way, I just feel like a team like EDM may overpay for a player like Xhekaj, compared to what it cost the Has to "develop" him through the system. To a lesser degree, the Dach for Romanov trade is the closest recent trade that I can think of as an example.

20 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I know the NHL is not managed that way, I just feel like a team like EDM may overpay for a player like Xhekaj, compared to what it cost the Has to "develop" him through the system.

The fallacy in this is that while Xhekaj cost us nearly nothing, not even a draft pick, replacing him would not be as easy and certainly not as cheap. The same issue applies in the Premier League, too, selling a player only makes sense if you have a solid pipeline of replacements in your academy team.

That's kind of the same as investing in the stock market: you shouldn't decided whether to sell based on how much you paid for a stock. Instead, you should consider its future value. So, if you can "sell" Chiarot, for example, for a first-round pick because other teams are desperate, you should probably do it because his future value will be lower than it is now. But how much you spent on Chiarot really isn't relevant.

18 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

If I manged the Habs assets like a football/soccer team, I would "sell" some players that have gained more value than expected (Xhekaj, Roy, Evans) to address a club need (RD, goaltender)

If considering that approach, one would have to wonder whether any of those three have gained enough value to make it worthwhile trading them ... Evans would likely be the most valuable, and even healthy he likely isn't bringing a significant return.

Even if that approach were adopted, I think those are generally off-season deals more than in-season deals. ... coming to the deadline, Montembeault might be the one player who has added unexpected value this season and could perhaps bring some value at the deadline for a team looking for goaltending depth ... Monahan hasn't so much added value as shown he has recovered from the hip issues, but had the bad luck to suffer an unrelated injury.

6 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I don't understand the talk of trading Xkekaj. He brings an element to the Habs that no one else brings plus he is cheap! You really have to think twice about trading guys on good contracts. 

And he's 21 (22 at the end of the month) 

He's not my favourite prospect.  I think he tops out on the third pair, but he's cheap and young. 

I don't get trading young players when the goal is to rebuild. 

• Like 1

I don’t want Xhekaj traded, or Evans. I like both players.

but this is the trade thread where we shoot the breeze on what trades may be possible and stiff line that.

Looking at the Habs LD: Matheson, Guhle and Harris seem to have greater trust from coaches than Wifi. Then there is Norlinder and the other prospects. 
That is a lot of LDs without even considering Edmundson!

So, yeah, this conversation « is a thing »

48 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I don’t want Xhekaj traded, or Evans. I like both players.

but this is the trade thread where we shoot the breeze on what trades may be possible and stiff line that.

Looking at the Habs LD: Matheson, Guhle and Harris seem to have greater trust from coaches than Wifi. Then there is Norlinder and the other prospects. 
That is a lot of LDs without even considering Edmundson!

So, yeah, this conversation « is a thing »

I agree that this thread should be for trade proposals. I just didn't see any trade proposals for Arber (trade him for whom?) only suggestions that he could/should be traded.  Perhaps it's hard to establish what his trade value is?  How many rookie defensemen have more goals than he does?  I think the answer is zero. I think he tops out at more than a 3rd pairing defensemen. He is certainly at least a 3rd pairing defensemen right now. 

You need more than 3 prospects on LD.  You don't just trade Xhekaj cause Norlinder is in Laval.  There is no proof that Norlinder will even make it in the NHL, he could bust, and then you have the issue of injuries too. Or one of the other LDs could bust.  The thing with prospects is if you have four LHD prospects and one becomes a top 4 defender and the other three bust, you are doing pretty good (especially since none of our D prospects was taken higher than Guhle at 16th.  The next highest is RD Mailloux at 31.... the rest are third round and lower.  So don't assume they are all gonna work out. 

This is how the Leafs ended up making the huge mistake of trading Tuukka Rask to Boston.  They figured we have Rask and Justin Pogge and only need one goalie prospect, and then Pogge busted. 

On 1/14/2023 at 4:53 PM, TurdBurglar said:

I wouldn’t be opposed to Edmundson and Xhekaj for Puljujarvi and Broberg, even if Montreal had to add something else like a late round or conditional pick, as long as it doesn’t include Montreal’s or Florida’s first.

In that scenario Edmonton should be adding for us to take Puljujarvi, not the other  way around. Also, under no circumstances should we be trading young cost controlled assets unless the return is astronomical and Broberg although a good prospect, isn’t that.

5 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I agree that this thread should be for trade proposals. I just didn't see any trade proposals for Arber (trade him for whom?) only suggestions that he could/should be traded.  Perhaps it's hard to establish what his trade value is?  How many rookie defensemen have more goals than he does?  I think the answer is zero. I think he tops out at more than a 3rd pairing defensemen. He is certainly at least a 3rd pairing defensemen right now. 

it was earlier in the thread, I forget what the proposal was. 👆 look up 🙃

On 1/17/2023 at 1:59 AM, alfredoh2009 said:

On 1/17/2023 at 1:59 AM, alfredoh2009 said:

It doesn't matter. There is no way Wifi is getting traded unless the return is excellent. Far more likely Edmunston or Savard are dealt. 

I think any trade involving WiFi would likely be part of a major “hockey trade” scenario, with multiple players implicated. You know - the sort of thing where a team acquires a major piece and additional elements are included to round the deal out. That’s not typically a trade you’d expect a rebuilding team to make.

So yes, I’m sure the Habs are focusing on shipping out veterans and expiring contracts for picks and prospects.

WTF are people thinking suggesting the Habs trade Wifi?

Dude has skills that have been sorely missing for years.

is cheap, can skate, shoot and hit.

his passing and play reading can improve, he’s shown nothing but growth and ability to overcome his whole life and I’d bet he will improve his shortcomings and end up being a solid NHL’er for a decade. And he will play for Mtl relatively cheaply, guaranteed he will stick around for way less than any reasonable replacent would cost.

Edmundson, Matheson and Savard are the problems between being either/and slow, sloppy and too often out of lineup they all need to get gone asap.  Team was better with 4-5 rookies on the blue line than with all of these bums (have liked Savard the most this year of these three)

3 hours ago, hockeyrealist said:

WTF are people thinking suggesting the Habs trade Wifi?

Dude has skills that have been sorely missing for years.

is cheap, can skate, shoot and hit.

his passing and play reading can improve, he’s shown nothing but growth and ability to overcome his whole life and I’d bet he will improve his shortcomings and end up being a solid NHL’er for a decade. And he will play for Mtl relatively cheaply, guaranteed he will stick around for way less than any reasonable replacent would cost.

Edmundson, Matheson and Savard are the problems between being either/and slow, sloppy and too often out of lineup they all need to get gone asap.  Team was better with 4-5 rookies on the blue line than with all of these bums (have liked Savard the most this year of these three)

If you look at the LD situation Montréal has Edmundson, Matheson, Guhle, Harris and Xhekaj.  None of which have convincingly shown they can play RD, except maybe Harris, so it creates a logjam when all are all healthy.  Out of those 4, Xhekaj has the lowest ceiling, but he does add the grit that the others don't. 

The trading Xhekaj idea came from me to get Broberg, who should be better long term than any of the current LD not named Guhle.  So trading Xhekaj was only to upgrade, not solely to just get rid of him.  I wouldn't want to trade him as a throw in unless the return is really worth it and also replaces Xhekaj.  Once Edmundson gets traded, the logjam goes at LD goes away.

17 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

If you look at the LD situation Montréal has Edmundson, Matheson, Guhle, Harris and Xhekaj.  None of which have convincingly shown they can play RD, except maybe Harris, so it creates a logjam when all are all healthy.  Out of those 4, Xhekaj has the lowest ceiling, but he does add the grit that the others don't. 

The trading Xhekaj idea came from me to get Broberg, who should be better long term than any of the current LD not named Guhle.  So trading Xhekaj was only to upgrade, not solely to just get rid of him.  I wouldn't want to trade him as a throw in unless the return is really worth it and also replaces Xhekaj.  Once Edmundson gets traded, the logjam goes at LD goes away.

You still have Norlinder and I believe most other D prospects are LDs

Logjam gets a pause for maybe a couple of years until waiver exemptions come into play 

56 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

You still have Norlinder and I believe most other D prospects are LDs

Logjam gets a pause for maybe a couple of years until waiver exemptions come into play 

It would be a great problem to have in a couple of years when it will be clearer how Guhle, Harris, Norlinder, Trudeau and in this hypothetical situation, Broberg, would slot into a lineup.  A couple of years also changes a lot in respect to who will still be apart of the roster as well. 

I guess I'm the only one who believes in the long run, Broberg would make the defense better than Xhekaj would. 

7 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

I guess I'm the only one who believes in the long run, Broberg would make the defense better than Xhekaj would. 

Or, going back to the original trade proposal, that giving up Edmundson and Xhekaj for Puljujarvi and Broberg is an overpayment ... Oilers have been trying to move Puljujarvi's cap-hit off their books (i.e., he has little if any "hockey-trade" value) and not certain Broberg is fair return for Edmundson ... don't see a need to include WiFi.