Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

42 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

It would be a great problem to have in a couple of years when it will be clearer how Guhle, Harris, Norlinder, Trudeau and in this hypothetical situation, Broberg, would slot into a lineup.  A couple of years also changes a lot in respect to who will still be apart of the roster as well. 

I guess I'm the only one who believes in the long run, Broberg would make the defense better than Xhekaj would. 

I don't disagree completely with you, it depends hwow your definition of "better" translates to organizational objectives:

* better = more wins?

* better = more goals for?

* better = more entertaining games to watch? better paying customer experience?

* better = win a cup?

50 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Or, going back to the original trade proposal, that giving up Edmundson and Xhekaj for Puljujarvi and Broberg is an overpayment ... Oilers have been trying to move Puljujarvi's cap-hit off their books (i.e., he has little if any "hockey-trade" value) and not certain Broberg is fair return for Edmundson ... don't see a need to include WiFi.

If Holland trades Broberg and Puljujarvi for Edmundson, he doesn't have a job next year.  Puljujarvi has negative value and in no trade will he have positive value, but Broberg has a lot of value, much more than Edmundson.  Would you trade Guhle and Dadanov for Barrie?  That's close to an equivalent trade reversed as Broberg and Puljujarvi for Edmundson.  Yes, Guhle has more value the Broberg, but Dadanov is more of a cap dump the Puljujarvi, and Barrie is top-4 RHD, which has more value than LHD normally. 

18 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I don't disagree completely with you, it depends hwow your definition of "better" translates to organizational objectives:

* better = more wins?

* better = win a cup?

Better defense = less goals against = more wins = higher chance of winning a cup = better for fan experience.

34 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

* better = more wins?

* better = win a cup?

I don't think those are unique/distinct outcomes ... they could all fit together nicely.

Read an interesting proposal on a B-rated sports news site that was sort of interesting.

If Montreal’s pick is outside the top-5 this year after the draft lottery is completed, trade that to Winnipeg for Dubois.

What do you guys think?

32 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

Read an interesting proposal on a B-rated sports news site that was sort of interesting.

If Montreal’s pick is outside the top-5 this year after the draft lottery is completed, trade that to Winnipeg for Dubois.

What do you guys think?

Interesting idea ... but since the Habs would be trading it because of a perceived lack of elite draft options, would Winnipeg be that keen on it ... what else would they expect to be included.

27 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Interesting idea ... but since the Habs would be trading it because of a perceived lack of elite draft options, would Winnipeg be that keen on it ... what else would they expect to be included.

That was the proposal, nothing else included.

I want to say it looks even, but Dubois is still an RFA, and Dach fetched more last year.  Although the rumours of him wanting out of Winnipeg would come into play as well.

10 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

That was the proposal, nothing else included.

I want to say it looks even, but Dubois is still an RFA, and Dach fetched more last year.  Although the rumours of him wanting out of Winnipeg would come into play as well.

Dach was coming off a 9g/26pt season ... Dubois is on pace for 35g/85pt season ... there are other factors at play on each side but ultimately, I am comfortable saying that a 6th or lower pick isn't getting PLD out of Winnipeg ... and depending how things go in the playoffs, the "wants out of Winnipeg" rumours might well disappear.

8 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

What do you guys think?

No way we trade either of our first rounders for a 25 year old. If Dubois really wants to come here he can sign another one year deal and come here as a UFA. Otherwise no reason to divert from the rebuild.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Neech said:

No way we trade either of our first rounders for a 25 year old. If Dubois really wants to come here he can sign another one year deal and come here as a UFA. Otherwise no reason to divert from the rebuild.

agreed, he has been injured too much for my liking and may be too expensive for the rebuild cap-wise 

17 hours ago, Neech said:

One outside the top 5 pick for PLD? That seems like a bargain for the Habs but what if Mickayov(sp) falls to that level? Interesting dilemma for HuGort but I doubt bey much that the Jets would be interested in that deal. 

29 minutes ago, PMAC said:

One outside the top 5 pick for PLD? That seems like a bargain for the Habs but what if Mickayov(sp) falls to that level? Interesting dilemma for HuGort but I doubt bey much that the Jets would be interested in that deal. 

The Jets still have some leverage as Dubois will be an RFA instead of a UFA so I think they would hold out for a bit more. A deal like that would definitely speed up the rebuild for the Habs, not sure I would do it but I get the attraction of getting Dubois.  Kudos to Dubois for putting together an excellent season with all the rumours floating around of him wanting to move. He has been a professional this year. 

2 hours ago, PMAC said:

I don’t think we should either. If PLD really wants to be a hab, let him wait one more year and when we don’t have to give up any assets.

3 hours ago, PMAC said:

It's a good price, but we're still at the stage of amassing premium assets rather than fine-tuning by swapping them out for shorter-term pieces. Add that to the chance of him coming here for free in a year, and it would be a bonehead move to acquire Dubois.

For once, let's live out the fairytale of a Quebec star signing here to win a Cup!

6 hours ago, PMAC said:

It's a risk as PLD will have only one year left under team control until he becomes a UFA. Unless they can do a sign and trade -- but as the Jets have not been able to sign him for the long term, they surely get less value for the trade.

Elliot Friedman reporting the cost for Toews is a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

Would it be worth trading Drouin and a 2nd, maybe Colorado’s next year, for Toews with as much retention as Chicago would do for that price.  Then flip Toews to a contender with 50% retained salary for a 1st or equivalent?

This is with the assumption there isn’t a trade before that gives Montreal another 2nd for this year which could possibly be used.

I guess it would make more sense if Chicago tried to get the 1st or equivalent and pay Montreal their 2nd, which would drop to a 3rd or lower because if Drouin, to retain in that deal though.

3 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

Elliot Friedman reporting the cost for Toews is a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

Would it be worth trading Drouin and a 2nd, maybe Colorado’s next year, for Toews with as much retention as Chicago would do for that price.  Then flip Toews to a contender with 50% retained salary for a 1st or equivalent?

This is with the assumption there isn’t a trade before that gives Montreal another 2nd for this year which could possibly be used.

I guess it would make more sense if Chicago tried to get the 1st or equivalent and pay Montreal their 2nd, which would drop to a 3rd or lower because if Drouin, to retain in that deal though.

Why wouldn’t Chicago simply retain 50% themselves, if they can get a 1st? Why would they want Drouin???unless they think Drouin would be a gaurantee them Bedard!

i think a 2nd for Toews is with retention.

47 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Why wouldn’t Chicago simply retain 50% themselves, if they can get a 1st? Why would they want Drouin???unless they think Drouin would be a gaurantee them Bedard!

What he's proposing is a double retention, Chicago keeps 50% (for example), Habs keep 25% and the final buyer only pays 25%.

20 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

What he's proposing is a double retention, Chicago keeps 50% (for example), Habs keep 25% and the final buyer only pays 25%.

Oh, ok. I still don’t see Chicago bothering with picking up Drouin who probably wouldn’t bring more than a 5th at best, but more likely a 6th/7th. The only advantage would be to take a 2nd pick from us since we would be lower in the standings, but I certainly don’t see them taking the one we have from the Avs.

I could see us getting something to facilitate a deal and pick up part of the salary, but I don’t see us getting more than chicago would.

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

i think a 2nd for Toews is with retention.

The first was with double retention.  Chicago can't double retain themselves.

• 2 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Are you proposing this to improve the team or to improve the lottery odds?

He is a former first rounder and MSL may get some blood from this stone 

Also, he may be a better option than Drouin, Dadonov and Pitlick next year. Cheap contract

Belzile or Ylonen can go to Laval to help their playoff chances

Finally, there is also a chance he may help with the tank 

32 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

He is a former first rounder and MSL may get some blood from this stone 

Also, he may be a better option than Drouin, Dadonov and Pitlick next year. Cheap contract

Belzile or Ylonen can go to Laval to help their playoff chances

Finally, there is also a chance he may help with the tank 

He'd help with the tank but he's not an NHL-calibre player.  He also doesn't fit the style of play the Habs are trying to get to.  There will be better fits available on waivers if you want to pick someone up simply to allow Belzile or Ylonen to go down.