Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

36 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

PLD at $7 million seems reasonable to me. 

Which isnt what is expected for a power forward looking for max contract in 2024.

Was noted 8 years at $8m is likely the ask. No discount.

Who knows maybe Brisson is simply playing hard ball and using Montreal for leverage?

13 minutes ago, DON said:

Which isnt what is expected for a power forward looking for max contract in 2024.

Was noted 8 years at $8m is likely the ask. No discount.

Who knows maybe Brisson is simply playing hard ball and using Montreal for leverage?

Old school tactics of using Montreal as leverage is certainly possible. 

If his output is a bit below Suzuki then I would think his salary will be as well. 

If the ask is 8 then perhaps they meet at 7/7.5 or close to it.? I don’t expect a discount on his salary but I also don’t expect any hardball negotiations because he genuinely wants to be here. 

If PLD’s goal is to get paid then he won’t be a Canadien. 

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

It’s tough to turn down a large man with excellent speed and skill that wants to play for you - even if we are set at centre maybe PLD would allow Dach back with Suzuki. 

Salary demands are indeed going to be the tipping point in whether he signs here. I hope Hughes’ negotiating skills are as good as his reputation. 

PLD at $7 million seems reasonable to me. 

I will add that even though HuGo may not care about a Francophone hero on the team, millions of fans do care and those fans are very loud in Molson’s ear. 

The only way PLD is not a Hab is if he sustained a very serious injury or his contract demands are ridiculous IMO

I tend to agree. It feels to me that those fans who are skeptical about PLD are overthinking things - looking a gift horse in the mouth. But as you say, his contract expectations have to be reasonable. FWIW. I doubt he will accept $7 mil.

39 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I tend to agree. It feels to me that those fans who are skeptical about PLD are overthinking things - looking a gift horse in the mouth. But as you say, his contract expectations have to be reasonable. FWIW. I doubt he will accept $7 mil.

The outlook for the cap (a year from now) will also have an impact of what Hugo will be willing to accept, I expect.

Suzuki gets paid a bit under 8 million a season and has better production than Dubois. 

I can see a similar contract (7.8) for Dubois but I’m not sure how he would expect more than Suzuki with lesser production. 

I agree that on the open market Dubois would likely fetch more than that but again if he is money hunting then the Habs aren’t a fit. 

Habs aren’t pursuing Dubois, it’s the other way around. 

21 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

We don't know that the Habs aren't pursuing. I think it's a case of Hughes checking the price but doesn't want to overplay his hand at this point as he can afford to wait. We all assume Dubois wants to play for the Habs and he probably does. 

26 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

We don't know that the Habs aren't pursuing. I think it's a case of Hughes checking the price but doesn't want to overplay his hand at this point as he can afford to wait. We all assume Dubois wants to play for the Habs and he probably does. 

We also don't really know how much Dubois wants to play for the Habs. He may just be trying to get leverage, or he may want to be a Hab badly enough to accept modestly lower contract. Or something in between.

3 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Suzuki gets paid a bit under 8 million a season and has better production than Dubois. 

I can see a similar contract (7.8) for Dubois but I’m not sure how he would expect more than Suzuki with lesser production. 

I agree that on the open market Dubois would likely fetch more than that but again if he is money hunting then the Habs aren’t a fit. 

Half of Suzuki's 8-year contract covers RFA seasons ... this summer, a Dubois contract would cover only one RFA season ... UFA seasons are more expensive to "buy" ... so 8x$8.5M would likely be reasonable (no idea if it would be enough for PLD) ... especially with the cap projected to start going up in the next couple of years once the Covid/flat-cap escrow is paid-off.

2 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Half of Suzuki's 8-year contract covers RFA seasons ... this summer, a Dubois contract would cover only one RFA season ... UFA seasons are more expensive to "buy" ... so 8x$8.5M would likely be reasonable (no idea if it would be enough for PLD) ... especially with the cap projected to start going up in the next couple of years once the Covid/flat-cap escrow is paid-off.

Valid point that I hadn’t considered!

If 8.5 does HuGo do it?

This draft should start answering questions about how HuGo plan to address our needs then we will see if Dubois fits. 

I still believe Dubois will be a Canadien at some point. 

2 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Valid point that I hadn’t considered!

If 8.5 does HuGo do it?

This draft should start answering questions about how HuGo plan to address our needs then we will see if Dubois fits. 

I still believe Dubois will be a Canadien at some point. 

The lottery will go a long to determining what other moves HuGo look at ... Getting Bedard or Fantelli adds elite talent at centre, meaning a trade for PLD likely means either he, Dach or Suzuki ultimately would move to the wing (maybe even two of them) ... from what I've read, after those two (maybe Carlsson as well) I think whoever is drafted is projected as lower impact and longer-term.

7 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

8.5 million for a 60 point player? 

Depends on what they project PLD, and the cap, to be.

Bit over 8M for a guy who I feel can hit ppg at his peak.

He's had huge clouds over him at the end of CLB and entire time in Winnipeg. Plus anyone who WANTS to play here... If we aren't overpaying to acquire him. I'm not too worried about the cap hit. He's a solid player.

21 hours ago, Plutarch said:

Bit over 8M for a guy who I feel can hit ppg at his peak.

He's had huge clouds over him at the end of CLB and entire time in Winnipeg. Plus anyone who WANTS to play here... If we aren't overpaying to acquire him. I'm not too worried about the cap hit. He's a solid player.

I would be shocked if Montreal trades for him when he'll be free next offseason.  They won't be a contender, so there's no point in bolstering the center position a year early at the cost of picks/prospects.  The real question is what is the team trying to accomplish next season?  If the goal is to make the playoffs, they could use them, if it's another development year, I don't see a point of paying for him.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

I would be shocked if Montreal trades for him when he'll be free next offseason.  They won't be a contender, so there's no point in bolstering the center position a year early at the cost of picks/prospects.  The real question is what is the team trying to accomplish next season?  If the goal is to make the playoffs, they could use them, if it's another development year, I don't see a point of paying for him.

I don’t want to overpay for PLD in assets or salary, if he’s going to top out as 60-70 point player at a time we are having almost an 80’s like resurgence in the number of 100 and 90 point players, as well as 50 goal scorers - with two 50 goal scorers.

Regardless of how we pick up (ie win the lottery), I think there is value in seeing what we have in Dach and Slafkovsky- will either or both take a significant step forward? If both are show they are legit top 3/top 6 players, I’d rather use assets to bolster the blue line.

on the flip side, it may help to have PLD as an experienced young centre to help the development of our young wingers - particularly if Dach proves to be a better option on the wing. If PLD’s approach with the jets is I’m not signing long term, AND the only team I’m willing to commit to on a sign and trade is Montreal, and the cost is cheap, I’m not opposed to making a play for him.

What I am completely opposed to is gibing up higher-end prospects and picks for a guy we can get for free - assuming he really does want to come to Montreal. I do think waiting until he is a UFA is one way to test how badly he actually wants to come to Montreal.

So, suppose that Monahan is re-upped on reasonable terms, and works out--do we still need PLD? Monahan is four years older, yes, but still probably has four or five good years left. He can also provide development and leadership. And a bird in hand is always worth more than the ones in the bush ...

41 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

So, suppose that Monahan is re-upped on reasonable terms, and works out--do we still need PLD? Monahan is four years older, yes, but still probably has four or five good years left. He can also provide development and leadership. And a bird in hand is always worth more than the ones in the bush ...

I wouldn’t want to sign Monohan for anything other than a  cheap 1 yr incentive laden contract - and that’s only if the plan is to move Dvorak+ for help on the D. If move Dvorak, and Monohan is willing to sign a cheap bonus laden contract, than I don’t mind rolling the dice on his health for another year. It’s probably another development year for us anyway. If he stays healthy and is productive, I’d still look to move Monohan at the deadline, and than sign PLD as a UFA cost free. 

I wouldn’t want to sign Monohan even for a year, unless we have a better idea about his recovery, and there is no way I’d want him signed to a multi-year deal. The guy’s broken down. I also wouldn’t want a logjam that prevents us from assessing what we have in Dach by Dvorak, Monohan, and trading for PLD this summer.

• 4 weeks later...

https://theathletic.com/4501177/2023/05/09/pourquoi-le-cinquieme-choix-au-repechage-est-un-casse-tete-pour-le-canadien/

"In 2008, the New York Islanders agreed to reverse their fifth pick with the Toronto Maple Leafs' seventh pick, and were awarded a third-round pick the same year and a second-round pick the following year. . For the CH, it would be a way to monetize the place that the draw gave him."

Cant see them trading down; but.

Would a 2nd & 3rd be worth trading down a couple spots with Philly or Caps?

Or demand more in this particular year?

11 minutes ago, DON said:

https://theathletic.com/4501177/2023/05/09/pourquoi-le-cinquieme-choix-au-repechage-est-un-casse-tete-pour-le-canadien/

"In 2008, the New York Islanders agreed to reverse their fifth pick with the Toronto Maple Leafs' seventh pick, and were awarded a third-round pick the same year and a second-round pick the following year. . For the CH, it would be a way to monetize the place that the draw gave him."

Or demand more in this particular year?

OR ... might Anaheim (5 years out of the playoffs, 4 Top 10 picks in that time), Columbus (3 years out of playoffs, 6 playoff appearances in their 23 seasons, only once into the 2nd round) or San Jose (4 years out of playoffs) be tempted to trade down if HuGo have someone they REALLY want.

On 4/15/2023 at 5:29 PM, hab29RETIRED said:

... I wouldn’t want to sign Monohan even for a year, unless we have a better idea about his recovery, and there is no way I’d want him signed to a multi-year deal. The guy’s broken down. I also wouldn’t want a logjam that prevents us from assessing what we have in Dach by Dvorak, Monohan, and trading for PLD this summer.

Habs SHOULD have the best idea about his health of any team.

1 hour ago, DON said:

No. Habs have lots of mid-level prospects already, we need some top-line/top-pairing players, and trading down does not help that.

10 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

No. Habs have lots of mid-level prospects already, we need some top-line/top-pairing players, and trading down does not help that.

Agree 100%, if anything I would think Hughes would look at trading up if the right deal can be made. 

3 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Habs SHOULD have the best idea about his health of any team.

They should have been more careful with him this year given his injury history. And given how Caufield, Guhle, and others were handled this year, I really don’t have a heck of a lot of confidence in their medical and training staff.

4 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Agree 100%, if anything I would think Hughes would look at trading up if the right deal can be made. 

AND which of the 4 would ever consider trading down? None of them, is likely a very safe bet, no?  

Last year he tried to deal pick #26+ ??stuff to move up and still had no takers.

And given that 5-10 ranking is not clear, might not be big difference (and russian kid may fall to 7?) between 5 & 7.

But, I am all for packaging up Florida's or Calgary's (2024 or 2025) 1st round picks for a young rh d-man or a specific player in this draft they really are high on.