Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

1 hour ago, habs rule said:

I do not like this trade. Beulieu will be as good as fowler. Desharnais has better numbers than Cogliano. Not only that we give up sherback a FIRST  and some one else. No I do not see the value.

I have my doubts that Beaulieu will be as good as Fowler (and I think Fowler is a bit overrated based on the first couple of years of his career).  Beaulieu continues to be a guy who has flashes of top four potential and other moments that make him look like a fringe player.  Is he a sure fire top four guy?  This is his fifth pro year and he hasn't really shown that to be the case yet with any sort of consistency.  Fowler has his warts but is a legitimate top four defender.

That all said, the Ducks aren't trading Fowler.  Despres' LTIR situation will likely be enough to allow them to keep the core intact for the foreseeable future (and Despres is dealing with some severe concussion symptoms so he's going to be out for a long time).

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

I have my doubts that Beaulieu will be as good as Fowler (and I think Fowler is a bit overrated based on the first couple of years of his career).  Beaulieu continues to be a guy who has flashes of top four potential and other moments that make him look like a fringe player.  Is he a sure fire top four guy?  This is his fifth pro year and he hasn't really shown that to be the case yet with any sort of consistency.  Fowler has his warts but is a legitimate top four defender.

That all said, the Ducks aren't trading Fowler.  Despres' LTIR situation will likely be enough to allow them to keep the core intact for the foreseeable future (and Despres is dealing with some severe concussion symptoms so he's going to be out for a long time).

Well even so 5 guys for Fowler which includes sherback and a first is too much. Drop sherback and the 1st I think we got a deal. :)

Brandon Sutter is like if Lars Eller had a few better opportunities to play top six, got overrated due to it, never amounted to his potential, then got badly injured right after the team he got traded to decided to sign him on his potential and parents reputation than his actual play.

2007 had a few guys like that in Sutter, Eller, and Backlund, 

Islanders are struggling and may look to make some changes.

One player who has never lived up to his potential in New York is Ryan Strome.  

With our needs at centre, I'd target him as a "buy-low" candidate.  Something similar to what St. Louis paid for Yakupov. 

Two of those three players going Calgary's way have next to no value.  Andrighetto cleared waivers a month ago (and has struggled since coming back up) so his value is pretty much nothing.  Desharnais is in there for money reasons and doesn't really have value either.  Beaulieu by himself isn't worth a legitimate top four defender.  I agree with adding to him to get that top four guy - I literally posted an article about that about the same time you posted that proposal - but the plus needs to be a player and/or prospect of more significance than a fringe guy.

I'll also attempt a trade that will get laughed at:

To Montreal:

James van Riemsdyk

To Toronto:

Noah Juulsen

Zack Fucale 

1st round pick 

Or how about:

To Montreal:

Jarome Iginla

Francois Beachemin

To Colorado:

David Desharnais

Nikita Scherbak

1st round pick

2nd round pick 

I think the Habs should be looking at Minnesota for a top-4 d-man.  The Wild have five players worthy of protecting in the expansion draft but can really only protect 4 (and I think they'd like to get to 3 if they could).  I think Marco Scandella is someone that would represent an upgrade on Beaulieu and is someone I suspect they'd be willing to move.  Scandella has a cap hit of $4M for this year and the next three and is currently on LTIR so this hypothetical offer would be for a little further down the road when he's healthy and back in game action.

To Minnesota:

D Nathan Beaulieu ($1M, RFA)

D Greg Pateryn ($800K through 2017-18)

C Jacob de la Rose ($925K, RFA, AHL)

To Montreal:

D Marco Scandella $4M through 2019-20)

D Nate Prosser ($625K, UFA)

C Brady Brassart ($836K, RFA, AHL)

(Brassart is a depth AHL centre to replace de la Rose and balance the contracts while Prosser is a depth NHL d-man who basically would assume Pateryn's 6/7 role)

As of this very moment, the Habs don't have the cap space to do this deal, it'll be a few weeks (until injured players return and players are sent back to St. John's) before the money will be there to do this.  The Wild aren't in great shape cap-wise so it's not as simple as just throwing Desharnais in to match money either; part of the allure for Minnesota in this offer is the cap space.

Why for Minnesota?  While all three players are expansion-draft eligible, they could only lose one meaning that at least two of those three players would be there for next year.  If they were to lose Scandella in that draft (the likely outcome currently), they lose him for nothing.  Pateryn represents a bottom pairing upgrade over someone like Christian Folin while de la Rose should be a competent NHL checker, even if his overall upside is limited.  The Wild will need some cheap depth forwards next year to counter extensions for guys like Granlund and Niederreiter.  If Beaulieu were to stay past the expansion draft, he'd slot in as a 3rd pairing player which, on a team with the depth that they have, is a good fit for him.

Why for Montreal?  Scandella is a 20+ minute player whose skill set would work well as a complement to Weber on the top pairing.  He's shown enough that he's a legitimate top four player, filling one of their two big needs moving forward.  While it's adding considerable salary beyond this year, it's worth doing if it fills a long-term spot.  It unfortunately would more or less cap them out which would make it more challenging to add another forward later on but that's where moving Desharnais to match salary may make more sense for the other team.  Prosser is a serviceable #7 and would allow the Habs to keep Barberio and Hanley as injury replacements in St. John's.

I would have liked to sub de la Rose for someone that's expansion-exempt to make it a bit more appealing for the Wild but the players that fit that bill either are considerably more valuable (such as McCarron or Scherbak) or nowhere near as valuable.  I think this may be a bit low value-wise but that's basically the core of the idea I have.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, illWill said:

To Montreal:

James van Riemsdyk

To Toronto:

Noah Juulsen

Zack Fucale 

1st round pick 

Or how about:

To Montreal:

Jarome Iginla

Francois Beachemin

To Colorado:

David Desharnais

Nikita Scherbak

1st round pick

2nd round pick 

I wish Fucale was worth something, but he seems to be fading as a prospect. And supposedly Iginla has zero intention of moving anywhere before retiring, especially to the east.

But Van Reimsdyke might look good in a Hab jersey.

19 minutes ago, illWill said:

To Montreal:

James van Riemsdyk

To Toronto:

Noah Juulsen

Zack Fucale 

1st round pick 

Or how about:

To Montreal:

Jarome Iginla

Francois Beachemin

To Colorado:

David Desharnais

Nikita Scherbak

1st round pick

2nd round pick 

I think the value's pretty close on the first one given van Riemsdyk's track record although I don't think the Leafs would have a use for Fucale.  There would also have to be something to balance out the cap element.  Personally, I wouldn't do that but I wouldn't be surprised if that was the asking price.

The second feels like an overpay to me.  Iginla's off to a bad start (he's more of a 2nd/3rd liner now, trending towards the latter) and Beauchemin is only a short-term defence upgrade (this year and next).  Dealing two key young assets (Scherbak and the 1st) for that is too much.  This also wouldn't work cap-wise, you're adding nearly $10M while sending out $3.5M.

23 hours ago, Commandant said:

Calgary laughs at that. 

Just trying to bump this thread.  And I've noticed it's a lot easier to bash trades than suggest them it would seem.

• Upvote 4

On 11/19/2016 at 9:57 PM, JGC21 said:

Just trying to bump this thread.  And I've noticed it's a lot easier to bash trades than suggest them it would seem.

The trade was..... montreal acquiring dougie hamilton and a draft pick for

Sven Andrighetto (cleared waivers = no value)

David Desharnais (no value)

Nathan Beaulieu.

Say the 5th round pick is the value of the first two guys combined.

So you are essentially trading Dougie Hamilton straight up for Nathan Beaulieu, and you wonder why I said that Calgary wouldn't come close to doing that trade?

Hypothetically, you suggest a trade here on the forum and people say.. yes that could work. 

What happens then?  Do we call Marc Bergevin and Brad Treliving and they make the deal?  Whats the next step after you put up an acceptable proposal?

28 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Hypothetically, you suggest a trade here on the forum and people say.. yes that could work. 

What happens then?  Do we call Marc Bergevin and Brad Treliving and they make the deal?  Whats the next step after you put up an acceptable proposal?

You done yet, or you got more friendly posts saved up to to dump on the guy?

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

To Montreal

Logan Couture

Tommy Wingels

To San Jose

Max Pacioretty

David Desharnais

Actually don't hate it. Slap the "C" on Weber and call it a day. Although I'm not sure if it would makes sense for both teams position wise 

3 hours ago, Commandant said:

We continue to talk about hockey like fans do. 

Shit dude... better not talk about what you like or don't like about any players on the Habs since you have no direct affect on them, right?

• Upvote 1