Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

2 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

I don't see why any team out there would take Desharnais back in any package for an elite center. I think Desharnais in a trade would involve either draft picks or a defender coming back the other way.

I don't think the Islanders do that trade with Desharnais involved. Substitute Desharnais for Plekanec and you may have a deal. 

I literally don't even think Colorado does the deal with Desharnais being the only forward involved but Sergachev and a 1st are certainly enticing pieces. 

Any trade with Desharnais involved is not for Desharnais value, but for the Cap Space.

Any team taking on Desharnais, doesn't give two shits about him... they are willing to take him cause thats the cost of getting the prospects they want from the Habs. 

He's UFA on July 1st so they'd only have him a couple months. 

17 hours ago, Commandant said:

Any trade with Desharnais involved is not for Desharnais value, but for the Cap Space.

Any team taking on Desharnais, doesn't give two shits about him... they are willing to take him cause thats the cost of getting the prospects they want from the Habs. 

He's UFA on July 1st so they'd only have him a couple months. 

I agree with you guys and you both (illWill) make great points but one would think giving up a player like Tavares or Duchene would indeed leave a hole in their respective forward corps. Sergachev and a 1st rounder are both enticing pieces but our 1st round pick probably doesn't end up being high and Scherbak is the lone foward going the other way that these teams apparently give a crap about? I think they might prefer to receive a player they care about when shipping out a franchise player. 

I'm still not convinced I do the trade if I'm either the Avalanche or Islanders. 

The Islanders and Avalanche seasons (2016-17) are essentially done.  The Avs are putrid and may need to rebuild.  The Isles will not be able to catch any of the big 5 in the metro.

They may want a long term piece at forward, but don't need something ready for this season. 

28 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

How to blow it as a GM: Spend $12M on Jarome Iginla, Carl Soderberg, and Joe Colbourne.

What are former overpaid former Bruins?

I'll take How to blow it as a GM for 1000, Alex.

• Upvote 1

Funny, both the Avs and the Isles were widely regarded as teams on the way up not that long ago. It just goes to show how hard it is to rebuild, and - once again - that 'tanking' even for multiple seasons is no guarantee of success. There may also be a warning in this to those who want MB to move our best prospects for short-term assets in order to win now. Rebuilding is difficult, and doing it from a position of weakness can be disastrous.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Funny, both the Avs and the Isles were widely regarded as teams on the way up not that long ago. It just goes to show how hard it is to rebuild, and - once again - that 'tanking' even for multiple seasons is no guarantee of success. There may also be a warning in this to those who want MB to move our best prospects for short-term assets in order to win now. Rebuilding is difficult, and doing it from a position of weakness can be disastrous.

Colorado did a terrible job building their defence and signed free agents based what seems to be the opinion of those who scream about advanced stats being fake. 

Brooklyn made very good trades and were honestly on the right path but a bad free agent replacement to Okposo and handling a fragile forward base just crumbled like a deck of cards. The Isles also run into an issue the Habs have. They have drafted a lot of guys prospect watchers liked but either failed at developing them or they were never that good to begin with. 

To Montreal: John Tavares

To NY: Sergachev, Desharnais, Scherbak and a 1st

If I'm the Habs I definitely go for this Deal. We are talking about a bonafide superstar (added bonus: he's not 5'9.) Problem is, I don't think the Isles would go for this proposal. Even if you switch Desharnais for Plekanec...still not sure Brooklyn would go for it! It would really suck to see Sergachev go, but you gotta give something to get something! Scherbak used to be my favorite prospect, but I'm starting to have doubts about him! He seems to be having a hard time in the AHL.

Montreal should acquire Marco Scandella. Minnesota won't likely be able to protect him in the expansion draft. He's a left handed defenceman from Montreal who has scored 11 goals just two seasons ago. 

I don't know what the cost would be, but I think there's a real fit there.

2 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Montreal should acquire Marco Scandella. Minnesota won't likely be able to protect him in the expansion draft. He's a left handed defenceman from Montreal who has scored 11 goals just two seasons ago. 

I don't know what the cost would be, but I think there's a real fit there.

There's definitely a fit.  (Jonas Brodin could be another, depending on if they want to go 7/3/1.) 

I had a proposal for him a little more than a month ago.  Unfortunately, it still isn't a fit cap-wise with all the injuries the team currently has.

• 2 weeks later...

Not exactly a trade proposal, but Alex Burmistrov is on waivers from Winnipeg. I think MTL should claim him--if they get the chance-- see how he works out and if he is a success, waive Desharnais when the time comes. I mean, our forward depth is depleted to the point where we have just recalled Bobby Farnham :-(

3 minutes ago, PMAC said:

Not exactly a trade proposal, but Alex Burmistrov is on waivers from Winnipeg. I think MTL should claim him--if they get the chance-- see how he works out and if he is a success, waive Desharnais when the time comes. I mean, our forward depth is depleted to the point where we have just recalled Bobby Farnham :-(

$1.55 million cap hit for a guy that might be a slight upgrade on Chris Terry.  If you add that now, that's pretty much it for what they'll be able to spend moving forward (and no, waiving a much better player in Desharnais wouldn't free up a whole lot anyways cap-wise as only a pro-rated $950K would come off).  As someone who has seen him plenty of times going back to his junior days, he's not worth it.

Edit for context: Before I add Farnham's name to the capsheet, the Habs' cap space would allow them to acquire a $1.26 million player...if they wait until the trade deadline.  (As of today, they can add a guy making $524,000 which is why the Farnham recall puts them back into LTIR.  In theory, they could add Burmistrov or someone else into LTIR but not only would that lessen what little they have to spend at the deadline, they'd create some problems when it comes time to activate the injured guys.)

Moot point; Burmistrov claimed by Arizona. Hopefully, now  Bergy can get Hanzal for a mediocre pick:D

Had another dream last night that MB scooped in and grabbed John Tavares at the trade deadline from the Isles for Gallagher, Plekanec, Sergachev and 2 first round picks.

46 minutes ago, JGC21 said:

Had another dream last night that MB scooped in and grabbed John Tavares at the trade deadline from the Isles for Gallagher, Plekanec, Sergachev and 2 first round picks.

was that a deam or a nightmare. Too much

1 hour ago, habs rule said:

was that a deam or a nightmare. Too much

Oooh no, don't think that would be too much, Tavares is an elite player and he would look some good in a Hab jersey, even if lost some nice pieces to get it done.

58 minutes ago, DON said:

Oooh no, don't think that would be too much, Tavares is an elite player and he would look some good in a Hab jersey, even if lost some nice pieces to get it done.

If Tavares was signed beyond next season, it'd be a lot easier of a price to swallow.  Your top prospect, a core winger, and two first round picks (plus Plekanec who, while overpaid for his current role, is still a decent player) for what basically amounts to a 1.5 year rental.  Having him and Price both as pending UFA's at the same time would be a very scary thought.

Whatever it would take to add basically a point/game guy, to compliment Galchenyuk, I would be for it.

I would even toss in Therrien to help get it done!

Edited by DON
add crap

38 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

If Tavares was signed beyond next season, it'd be a lot easier of a price to swallow.  Your top prospect, a core winger, and two first round picks (plus Plekanec who, while overpaid for his current role, is still a decent player) for what basically amounts to a 1.5 year rental.  Having him and Price both as pending UFA's at the same time would be a very scary thought.

$20M per year is what it would cost for both Price/Tavares.  This is where tough choices need to be made with Markov, Emelin, Flynn - all coming off the books.  I think MTL could fit them both in but that means Radulov and Galchenyuk would cause a rinkle as well.  Good GM's could figure this out.

3 hours ago, dlbalr said:

how much will Tavares get net year?

3 hours ago, DON said:

Whatever it would take to add basically a point/game guy, to compliment Galchenyuk, I would be for it.

I would even toss in Therrien to help get it done!

I don't think Le Genius would help the deal.:P

Tavares will get 10-12M easily; I imagine he's looking for a payday after playing below his market value for so long.  I doubt we'll be in position to get him with our big deals coming up, but he's the type of player you make room for.

I used to like Frank Corrado when he was in the Canucks organization...he looked like a smart bottom pairing guy to me. He had publicly expressed frustration at being passed over in TO...maybe we could acquire him for a song? I don't like our bottom-end depth on the blueline, exposed as inadequate due to Markov's injury. 

13 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I used to like Frank Corrado when he was in the Canucks organization...he looked like a smart bottom pairing guy to me. He had publicly expressed frustration at being passed over in TO...maybe we could acquire him for a song? I don't like our bottom-end depth on the blueline, exposed as inadequate due to Markov's injury. 

I wouldn't mind adding someone like him but I don't think the Leafs have any intention of moving him for a nominal return.  (If they did, I'd have to think they'd have let him go by now instead of basically having him sit for a year and a half.)  The only problem is what to do with him when everyone else comes back.  Barberio requires waivers again and I'm not sure they want to risk running him through again which means they'd be carrying eight. 

I'd like to see them target someone who's already in the minors that can be brought up if necessary, kind of like what they did with Victor Bartley last year.  That way they're in the system if more injuries strike without affecting the current roster.  (Plus St. John's could badly use defensive help.)

7 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I wouldn't mind adding someone like him but I don't think the Leafs have any intention of moving him for a nominal return.  (If they did, I'd have to think they'd have let him go by now instead of basically having him sit for a year and a half.)  The only problem is what to do with him when everyone else comes back.  Barberio requires waivers again and I'm not sure they want to risk running him through again which means they'd be carrying eight. 

I'd like to see them target someone who's already in the minors that can be brought up if necessary, kind of like what they did with Victor Bartley last year.  That way they're in the system if more injuries strike without affecting the current roster.  (Plus St. John's could badly use defensive help.)

Good post, dlbalr, thanks.