Jump to content

Permanent Trade Proposal Thread


dlbalr
 Share

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, habs rule said:

I would not give up a 40 goal scorer for a 25 goal scorer and 2 1st's. We need offence that means goals.

 

it is quite the opposite, Backstrom is an elite Center, among the very best at his position. It is for this reason the trade won't happen, Pacioretty doesn't help their team get better, But Backstrom definitely helps our team get better. The picks mean nothing to them, they are not close to rebuilding yet, it is for all these reasons the trade has pretty much no chance of happening, not because we wouldn't want to make the trade, but because they wouldn't. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Link67 said:

 

it is quite the opposite, Backstrom is an elite Center, among the very best at his position. It is for this reason the trade won't happen, Pacioretty doesn't help their team get better, But Backstrom definitely helps our team get better. The picks mean nothing to them, they are not close to rebuilding yet, it is for all these reasons the trade has pretty much no chance of happening, not because we wouldn't want to make the trade, but because they wouldn't. 

my mistake I thought he was a winger for some reason. Still would not make that trade, we need a goal scorer, a guy with a ton of assists needs a scorer, only my opinion

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Stogey24
27 minutes ago, habs rule said:

my mistake I thought he was a winger for some reason. Still would not make that trade, we need a goal scorer, a guy with a ton of assists needs a scorer, only my opinion

Great passers make good goal scorers

 

Pacioretty for Backstrom is a no brainer, but that would never happen. Backstrom is basically a career point per game player and with his style of play, he'll be that for a long time to come. Not to mention the contract he's on. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/19/2017 at 1:49 PM, Link67 said:

 

 

Nope, not a chance in my opinion

 

dang it!! :(

 

On 8/19/2017 at 2:37 PM, habs rule said:

I would not give up a 40 goal scorer for a 25 goal scorer and 2 1st's. We need offence that means goals.

 

I just figure he is a #1C, and Chucky could get to 40, IMO, so give up a MaxPac and couple of 1st; for a #1C. I figure is the only way to get one.

(edit)I would even go as far as 3x 1st and 1x 2nd but I know it's starting to sound like NHL??

Edited by ehjay
add to post
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, ehjay said:

 

dang it!! :(

 

 

I just figure he is a #1C, and Chucky could get to 40, IMO, so give up a MaxPac and couple of 1st; for a #1C. I figure is the only way to get one.

(edit)I would even go as far as 3x 1st and 1x 2nd but I know it's starting to sound like NHL??

Sure, it sounds a little EA sports, but I think more importantly you're forgetting about the Juulsen, Sergachev and Poehling you just traded away. 

 

Trading all your firsts in the next three years is basically a recipe for the worst prospect pool in hockey 3-4 years down the road 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Meller93 said:

Sure, it sounds a little EA sports, but I think more importantly you're forgetting about the Juulsen, Sergachev and Poehling you just traded away. 

 

Trading all your firsts in the next three years is basically a recipe for the worst prospect pool in hockey 3-4 years down the road 

 

Well, have a perfect example of that; NY Rangers had ZERO 1st picks in 2013, 14, 15 nor 2016.

Did Sather dig a big enough hole for their new GM.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, habs rule said:

my mistake I thought he was a winger for some reason. Still would not make that trade, we need a goal scorer, a guy with a ton of assists needs a scorer, only my opinion

I wouldn't make the specific proposed trade either. 

 

Backstrom is a great player but at the same time people are often justifying these trades by saying "we get the center we need" and regardless of the players involved, it seems to be a situation where we're trading from a position of weakness due to our "need". 

 

Pacioretty specifically is also undervalued here and the two 1st rounders added are what

make the trade a no go. Pacioretty for Backstrom straight up is a better starting point for a fair trade discussion. We could hear people crying that Washington got ripped off but it wouldn't be by as much as us trading Paciorerty and 2-3 firsts for Backstrom.

 

All in all, I'm not part of the camp that would want to trade Pacioretty or Gallagher for a center at this point. They seem to be proposed trades that involve us overpaying for the center. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

I wouldn't make the specific proposed trade either. 

 

Backstrom is a great player but at the same time people are often justifying these trades by saying "we get the center we need" and regardless of the players involved, it seems to be a situation where we're trading from a position of weakness due to our "need". 

 

Pacioretty specifically is also undervalued here and the two 1st rounders added are what

make the trade a no go. Pacioretty for Backstrom straight up is a better starting point for a fair trade discussion. We could hear people crying that Washington got ripped off but it wouldn't be by as much as us trading Paciorerty and 2-3 firsts for Backstrom.

 

All in all, I'm not part of the camp that would want to trade Pacioretty or Gallagher for a center at this point. They seem to be proposed trades that involve us overpaying for the center. 

 

we have nothing else to offer besides quality wingers, so if that isn't what we're offering then we aren't getting a top 6 Center of any kind, which is also a problem, a big one. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Link67 said:

 

we have nothing else to offer besides quality wingers, so if that isn't what we're offering then we aren't getting a top 6 Center of any kind, which is also a problem, a big one. 

I've agreed for awhile that we should probably acquire a top 6 center as I don't want Danault in the top 6. At the beginning of the off season I was on my own island when it came to the Duchene rumors, stating that I'd take him on my team. At the time I would have contemplated trading Galchenyuk for him despite Galchenyuk being one of my favorite, if not my favorite Hab. The only reason I would have contemplated the move is due to the reality that Galchenyuk didn't seem to have a defined position and we do need that center.

 

Galchenyuk has more upside than Gallagher but my thought had less to do with Galchenyuk's skill set and once again his position. Gallagher and Pacioretty play an important role for our team in their defined roles and even if we did acquire a top 6 center, the propositions I've seen have been quite lateral moves, despite the improvement to our position of need.

 

Trading Pacioretty for a player like Tavares would most likely prove to be a slight upgrade but imagine having a player like Tavares next to Pacioretty, rather than instead of him.

 

With our forwards corps as it is, I don't see it worth trading Gallagher for Nugent Hopkins or even Pacioretty for Backstrom. Both Drouin and Galchenyuk may be better players as wingers, up for debate, but I don't think the position of center is so foreign to them that we cannot at the very least avoid trading 1 of 2 of our better forwards for a comparable center in return. We should rather just move one of our great wingers to center.

 

After all all these years of having that gaping hole in center, I think the better route would have been to sign a free agent a la Joe Thornton, just as an example. If we have to wait until next summer for that to happen, since we missed our window of opportunity, it may be best to wait until the trade deadline when we may be able to get a top 6 center for draft picks, or next summer when we can sign one for "free".

 

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

Personally I think Backlund, not Ovechkin, was Washington's best player last season.  I don't see them giving him up. 

 

And yet Pacioretty was our best player as well and he seems to be oh so available amongst fans. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Stogey24
9 hours ago, Commandant said:

Personally I think Backlund, not Ovechkin, was Washington's best player last season.  I don't see them giving him up. 

He's one of the best players in the game. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Stogey24
9 hours ago, Link67 said:

 

we have nothing else to offer besides quality wingers, so if that isn't what we're offering then we aren't getting a top 6 Center of any kind, which is also a problem, a big one. 

Exactly what I was going to say. What do people want to Trade? Plekanec? You have to give to get. Especially when you have a surplus of something and a deficiency of another 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I really like Pacioretty... but here is the thing. 

 

He's had 70 points... 0 times

Backstrom has been over 70... 6 times, including the last four seasons in a row.  He had 86 points last year. 

 

This isn't a knock on Pacioretty to say Nicklas Backstrom is just better. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I really like Pacioretty... but here is the thing. 

 

He's had 70 points... 0 times

Backstrom has been over 70... 6 times, including the last four seasons in a row.  He had 86 points last year. 

 

This isn't a knock on Pacioretty to say Nicklas Backstrom is just better. 

Yes, I would trade backstrom for pacioretty in a heartbeat.

 

but is he 2 firsts, or 3 firsts better? Not for me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Meller93 said:

Sure, it sounds a little EA sports, but I think more importantly you're forgetting about the Juulsen, Sergachev and Poehling you just traded away. 

 

Trading all your firsts in the next three years is basically a recipe for the worst prospect pool in hockey 3-4 years down the road 

I'm just sick of not having a real #1C. And year after year we seem to draft players that don't become one; since way longer then I can/want to remember. Now I get the draft is the draft yet still other teams have managed to find a real #1C in drafts after Habs picks. So if this team can get a center so I can stop being frustrated about that at the cost of having what we have now again in prospects in 4-5 years from now... yeah I bite but I will also (i hope,wish and pray) shut my yap about #1C for a bit too :)

And the Only reason I include MaxPac in that (ridiculous) rain of picks is because he is older then any other current roster wingers with any "trade value" and I figure because of his Great contract he might "save" us a pick or have it swapped for something lower that in turn maybe will help not have as big of a hole there in a few years. Maybe a little also because I don't think the Habs can keep him in 2 years, so get something that is a real mountain (ha! Real Mountain!) need on this Team before we loose him for nothing.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guys don't get me wrong here, I don't WANT to trade Pacioretty,  I love the guy, he is an elite goal scorer, I have defended him from his unfair critics for several seasons now. But what he brings on the wing, which is high and consistent production, i would simply rather have at Center. I am not one to poke around the bushes of fantasy land when it comes to hockey discussions, I am aware to receive quality players you need to give quality packages. 

 

He is not my first choice to send out the door for a major Center like Tavares, I would rather we exercise every other avenue to bring in a Tavares to Montreal with a Pacioretty playing at his side. But ultimately if a GM says "You know I just can't see myself trading Tavares/Backstrom/Insert True 1C name here, unless you make Pacioretty the center piece on your end". You ponder it for a moment, maybe you call back in an hour, but you ultimately have to make that deal happen, because this team has been starving for a 1C for too long. 

 

This team already has a legitimate #1 Goalie, it has a legitimate #1 Defenseman, if it had a legitimate #1 Center, imagine the possibilities for a team with that kind of make up going forward, the fundamental needs to be a contender would be in place. You would only have to move around the pieces in the outer ring of the puzzle from there until the pieces all fit and we achieve what I think we all want in the end.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Eklund babbling about Duclair from Ariz to Habs of course aint happening but would Duclair help Habs?

 

Still a fairly unproven winger, but what should he cost the Habs? A 2nd pick and mediocre prospect (say a Scherbak)?

 

He had one full year in NHL and got 20g 44pts.

 http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=143840

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can see the argument to an extent. Backstrom clearly does produce at a higher rate. At the same time, I really do believe Pacioretty might just about be one of the best goal scorers in the league along with Tarasenko. Now and for the next few years.

 

Similar to the fact that centers are more difficult to acquire than wing, I think goal scorers are more difficult to acquire than passers. We'd be solving a  huge void only to create another massive one.  Backstrom gets his 80 points with 60 assists. With Pacioretty gone, who is he going to turn into a 40 goal scorer?  Drouin is more of a setup man so all expectations would have to be on Galchenyuk. After that, we'd literally have no one else to score goals. Heck we've even had Galchenyuk on the team for the past few years and it has still felt like Pacioretty has been our only true scorer up front, even when Galchenyuk did put in 30.

 

My opinion is that solving the center issue should have been and is a priority. At this point though, I've seen avenues that teams have taken to acquire a top 6 center without having to give up their best player in return.

 

Furthermore, Backstrom hasn't proven to be that playoff performer who brings you a cup. If we were talking Kopitar in his prime, Toews, Sedin in prime, maybe even Bergeron in prime, Crosby, Malkin... players with rings or consistency throughout the playoffs... then you'd have me thinking about trading away Pacioretty and a couple of firsts.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Stogey24
10 hours ago, DON said:

Eklund babbling about Duclair from Ariz to Habs of course aint happening but would Duclair help Habs?

 

Still a fairly unproven winger, but what should he cost the Habs? A 2nd pick and mediocre prospect (say a Scherbak)?

 

He had one full year in NHL and got 20g 44pts.

 http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=143840

 

He's been rumoured many times. I think he be a decent pick up 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Stogey24
7 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

I can see the argument to an extent. Backstrom clearly does produce at a higher rate. At the same time, I really do believe Pacioretty might just about be one of the best goal scorers in the league along with Tarasenko. Now and for the next few years.

 

Similar to the fact that centers are more difficult to acquire than wing, I think goal scorers are more difficult to acquire than passers. We'd be solving a  huge void only to create another massive one.  Backstrom gets his 80 points with 60 assists. With Pacioretty gone, who is he going to turn into a 40 goal scorer?  Drouin is more of a setup man so all expectations would have to be on Galchenyuk. After that, we'd literally have no one else to score goals. Heck we've even had Galchenyuk on the team for the past few years and it has still felt like Pacioretty has been our only true scorer up front, even when Galchenyuk did put in 30.

 

My opinion is that solving the center issue should have been and is a priority. At this point though, I've seen avenues that teams have taken to acquire a top 6 center without having to give up their best player in return.

 

Furthermore, Backstrom hasn't proven to be that playoff performer who brings you a cup. If we were talking Kopitar in his prime, Toews, Sedin in prime, maybe even Bergeron in prime, Crosby, Malkin... players with rings or consistency throughout the playoffs... then you'd have me thinking about trading away Pacioretty and a couple of firsts.

 

2016/17-13 pts in 13 playoff games 

 

2015/16- 11pts in 12 playoff games 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Stogey24 said:

He's been rumoured many times. I think he be a decent pick up 

 

And today Eklund it is according to three sources...

 

"On Ryan Nugent-Hopkins...


With the Leon Draisaitl deal done it is no surprise to hear RNH's name being mentioned again in trade rumors. Before trading for Ryan Johansson it is amazing how close the Predators came to trading for Nugent-Hopkins. But now there is a team which makes a ton of sense and honestly I believe it would be the best thing for RNH: Montreal. The Habs need a No. 1 center and RNH needs a fresh start, and according to at least three sources, it could very well happen."

 

I wouldn't put this in rumours seeing who posted this; but just would like to see Habs add Nugent-Hopkins. Obviously Gallagher would still seem biggest piece going West for him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...