Jump to content

Permanent Trade Proposal Thread


Recommended Posts

54 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

 

I agree that I'd take him for two or three years. But he might be looking for a five- or six-year contract.

I think he’s got at least 3 years of being among the top goal scorers, but he also seems very motivated to break Gretzky’s record, so even if he doesn’t score 45-50 afterwards, I still see him scoring 30+.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Middle school humor meant for small minds. Maybe you ought to write fart jokes on your own time instead of burping up your daily dose of baloney on here?   "Duhhhh...faith in Bergevin...duhh

2009-2010 82 games/54 points 2010-2011 79/67 2011-2012 82/81 2012-2013 48/47 2013-2014 59/66 2014-2015 82/86 2015-2016 78/70 2016-2017 77/66   I said:

Posted Images

51 minutes ago, DON said:

He needs 200 more g to pass Gretzky.

Do you think he will do it or not?

As long as he stays healthy and still  plays with good players, I think he makes it.  He doesn’t have the same speed, but his shot is still lethal.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Who cares?  It’s not like we’ve had even one 45-50 goal scorer for the past 30 years. If he was a UFA this year I’d take him. Even 2 or 3 years would go a long ways to improving our cup chances while price and a Weber are still elite.  But I wouldn’t trade him.  I can’t see the caps ever trading him either. There are already enough riots in USA cities for the franchise to trade the best player they’ve ever had.  It would be like us trading Richard, or Edmonton trading Gretzky, Messier or Coffey - oh, scratch that.

 

Savard refused to trade Lafleur in fear of the repercussions and even when he considered it, the only guy he considered was a for another Quebecer in Perrault.

 

I do not believe adding Ovie makes teh CH a serious cup contender.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

 

I do not believe adding Ovie makes teh CH a serious cup contender.

If the KK and Suzuki we saw in the playoffs are real, you don’t think Ovie on the wing with Suzuki or Kk would make us more offensively potent?  Would not improve the PP?  Adding a guy with a history of playoff production does not overnight transform the team overnight??

 

I still think our D is suspect (unless Romanov has a Hughes Maker type of impact) and is below average, while others have been raving about how Edmundson is going to improve and already “good” d.  I think we need an elite winger or two with an elite Dman.  Buts it’s been argued here ad nasuem that our me D is not a problem.  If the D is good as everyone says they are adding Ovie wouldn’t make us a contender???  If that’s the case we may as well trade price and Weber now, because we are a LONG way off from being a cup contender.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Buts it’s been argued here ad nasuem that our me D is not a problem.

 

I think what most people are saying is that our defence has improved significantly, and we have Romanov coming. And, as a result, the biggest gap is the lack of scoring on the wing (which was painfully apparent to me many times this season).

 

I don't think anyone is saying we are a cup contender now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

If the KK and Suzuki we saw in the playoffs are real, you don’t think Ovie on the wing with Suzuki or Kk would make us more offensively potent?  Would not improve the PP?  Adding a guy with a history of playoff production does not overnight transform the team overnight??

 

I still think our D is suspect (unless Romanov has a Hughes Maker type of impact) and is below average, while others have been raving about how Edmundson is going to improve and already “good” d.  I think we need an elite winger or two with an elite Dman.  Buts it’s been argued here ad nasuem that our me D is not a problem.  If the D is good as everyone says they are adding Ovie wouldn’t make us a contender???  If that’s the case we may as well trade price and Weber now, because we are a LONG way off from being a cup contender.


Those are a lot of ifs. I agree that we need an elite winger the same way we needed an elite center ( which we don’t have yet)

 

But 35 year old Ovechkin that couldn’t make the difference for the Caps is not what the Habs need 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

 

I think what most people are saying is that our defence has improved significantly, and we have Romanov coming. And, as a result, the biggest gap is the lack of scoring on the wing (which was painfully apparent to me many times this season).

 

I don't think anyone is saying we are a cup contender now.

For sure we are non TBL or an elite team like that.  But, I think if the Suzuki and KK we can saw in the playoffs are the ones we get for the most part - with the usual young player dips and growing pains, and you add two wingers and one true top pairing dman, I think we can be considered in that divisional leader category.  Once you get there than you can say anything can happen and we are a team with a legitimate chance.  
 

What I hate is the narrative as a barely bubble team when I hear we just need to get in the playoffs and anything can happen. Or  look at stl they were last in the division and won  the cup.  They were a very good team, who was underachieving and with new coaching and goaltending, became what they should have been in the first place.
 

I think we are at a cross roads now.  We finally have a couple of legitimate top end young players and a couple of aging elite players in goal and d.  We also have theee key UFA’s after this year.

 

I think we need to make a decision. Do we go out and do what it takes to get top line wingers and an elite dman to add to the group, or do we cut bait with some of our UFA’s in return for younger players that will make us stronger for the future - or even Price or Weber .  What I hate is adding more depth bottom feeders and say we have a chance because anything can happen in the playoffs, especially with Price in net.

 

If we want to resign Petry and Gallagher (I can’t see us retaining Danault after this year unless he signs for a serious home town discount), I think we need to add the horses we need for a run now. And no, I don’t think Kovalchuk is the answer. If he’s relatively cheap, he may be a good addition for the 3rd or 4th line - if we plan on running 4 scoring lines, but he shouldn’t be who we are looking forward in the first two lines.  I also don’t want to see Lekhonan on the top two lines.  Get some legitimate wingers for KK and Suzuki. We have one in Gallagher and okay regular season one in Tatar, but I’d like two more wingers.  Drouin is a Tatar like option on one of the lines IF we get a real high end winger to round out the line he’s on, in which case we get one more elite winger and a better scoring winger for the third line.  I’d like to see four scoring lines with lekhonan and Armia on the third and Byron on the 4th

 

we have prospects, picks, Domi and I’d even say Danault if the return is good enough to make the moves to put together a team than can compete.  Admittedly, this optimism may be based on a house of cards If Suzuki and KK are not ready to be top line players and Romanov is at a minimum unable to improve the third pairing.  

with that said, at least with Suzuki and KK, I don’t think I have been as optimistic on young habs as I was when we had Gallagher, Galchenyuk and Subban after the lockout. Aside from the Semin and Briere type experiments, MB has only gone out and hit the top player available once and that was Vanek at the deadline.  Radulov was a good pickup, but was a wildcard that not a lot of people were willing to sign and no one was willing to commit term. Vanak choked in the playoffs when we got him (which I think was in part how MT used him), burn I’d like to see the habs go try and get one of the top wingers available- although a more permanent solution this time around.

 

If we’re not going to do that, I think we need to make some hard choices with our UFA’s or even Weber/Price to to build around Suzuki/Kk, and move them for younger elite players.

 

i really do think we can put a solid team together and with the cap crunch and the playoff disappointments a lot of team had this year, I think there are going to be elite to very good wingers available, as well as top pairing or at least high end top 4 dman.

 

ad long as we are not moving Suzuki, Kk, Romanov and Caufield, for the right return anyone should be available,  first decision we need to make though is, do we want to take a run next year and not waste any more of price/Weber years, or are we going wait and build more for 2 to 3 year down the road and continue to let Suzuki, KK grow and get experience.

 

we need to keep in mind next year, Gallagher is going to want $7M+ (probably in the $7.5-$8.5 range).  Petry will want $7m+, Danault $6M+ and than we have to resign KK next year and Suzuki and Romanov the following year - which could be expensive depending on the year they have.

 

there is an opportunity this year with the salary cap and some teams that may make the change the culture mistake trades. I’d like to see us benefit from those.

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Habsfan89 said:

Depends on injuries or season being stop.

 

But he would check 2 important box's 

Improve our PP 

Improve our scoring 

Would be crazy risky  move, but even a washed up Kovalchuk was difference maker in a few games.

I think Ovi will get close to Gretzky's goal total, but he would need to play into his 40s to pass him.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:


Those are a lot of ifs. I agree that we need an elite winger the same way we needed an elite center ( which we don’t have yet)

 

But 35 year old Ovechkin that couldn’t make the difference for the Caps is not what the Habs need 

That was base in the hypothetical that he was a UFA this year, rather than next year. Would he be the only piece? No. But we would be a damn sure would be a better team with him than without. Hell, take Domi out of the lineup and insert Ovi and we probably beat the flyers in the playoffs.

 

as for the centre - I think we may finally have the elite centres. It would help immensely if we can get them elite wingers to play with, to help their progression.  How many times did we see KK and Suzuki setup guys who couldn’t finish?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

 

 

I think we need to make a decision. Do we go out and do what it takes to get top line winger YES and an elite dman NO to add to the group

 

, or do we cut bait with - ... Price or Weber  NO

 

And no, I don’t think Kovalchuk is the answer. If he’s relatively cheap, he may be a good addition for the 3rd or 4th line - Agree

 

 burn I’d like to see the habs go try and get one of the top wingers available- although a more permanent solution this time around. Agree

 

there is an opportunity this year with the salary cap and some teams that may make the change the culture mistake trades. I’d like to see us benefit from those. Agree

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

But 35 year old Ovechkin that couldn’t make the difference for the Caps is not what the Habs need 

He did have 4g in 8gms for Caps, so dont think it was his fault they lost.

Just Suzuki and KK had 4g for Habs.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, DON said:

He did have 4g in 8gms for Caps, so dont think it was his fault they lost.

Just Suzuki and KK had 4g for Habs.

 

He got his points, but it still was not sufficient for the team to win. It is the Ovi from before their Stanley cup.

Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Ovi is not leaving washington so its a moot point, but of course you take him.  He solves the PP issue.

Agreed.  He’s not going anywhere. He’ll break Gretzky’s record in Washington.

If he was ever available, he would instantly become our top winger and first 50 goal scorer since richer, only he’a 1000 times better than richer.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

 

He got his points, but it still was not sufficient for the team to win. It is the Ovi from before their Stanley cup.

Price pitched a coupe of shutouts and and had an astronomical GAA, but that wasn’t enough for us to win.  The caps are a much bette team than us, but they’re one of those teams that came up flat after the shutdown. That’s not on Ovi.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Agreed.  He’s not going anywhere. He’ll break Gretzky’s record in Washington.

If he was ever available, he would instantly become our top winger and first 50 goal scorer since richer, only he’a 1000 times better than richer.

 

Ha haaa, Richer. 😄

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

 

He got his points, but it still was not sufficient for the team to win. It is the Ovi from before their Stanley cup.


Seems their goaltending was a major flaw this year all around as well.

 

Would love to see Ovi laying people out and sniping one timers in the bleu, blanc et rouge.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Much talk about Hoffman and Dadonov as possible UFA signings to mitigate the need to make a BIG trade ... found an interesting comparison on RDS:

Screen Shot 2020-09-26 at 3.39.24 PM.jpg

 

Very similar rankings in NHL for Tirs Tentées de L'Enclave and Buts Attendus, but Tirs Tentées du Bas de L'Enclave, Tirs sur Réception and Tirs Déviés show the difference in their styles ... Hoffman 3rd in league of one-timers but Dadonov much higher in shots from in close and shots tipped/deflected.

 

Would love to add both (assuming MB is satisfied that the issues with Hoffman's wife in Ottawa were either over stated or resolved) but Dadonov's greater seeming willingness to "get his nose dirty" seems like what the habs need more.

image.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, GHT120 said:

 

 Dadonov's greater seeming willingness to "get his nose dirty" seems like what the habs need more.

 

 

He seems like the better player, based on advanced stats (Natural Stats Trick) and heath map (HocckeyViz):

image.png

 

But his production dipped this past season, and he is not overly big which was what the players mentioned in their exit interviews as needed for the team.

 

He may be a good addition to a line with KK-Armia

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/25/2020 at 9:05 AM, alfredoh2009 said:


Those are a lot of ifs. I agree that we need an elite winger the same way we needed an elite center ( which we don’t have yet)

 

But 35 year old Ovechkin that couldn’t make the difference for the Caps is not what the Habs need 

1 player doesn't make or break a team. Their is a reason why hockey is a team sport.  Pittsburgh has the best player in the league and we took them out is that all on Sid? No. Edmonton has the 2nd best player in the league and they lost. Is that on Mcdavid no. Caps losing isn't on Ovechkin. Ovechkin would make a big difference on the habs especially on the PP.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

... But his production dipped this past season, and he is not overly big which was what the players mentioned in their exit interviews as needed for the team.

He may be a good addition to a line with KK-Armia

 

He played all of Florida's games and his goals per 82 games actually went up from 25 (18/19) to 29 ... his assists slightly dropped from 42 in 18/19 to a pro-rated 35 ... Habs need talented size that play to their size ... next in line is average sized talent that plays bigger than their size ... seems that may be Dadonov

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

 

He played all of Florida's games and his goals per 82 games actually went up from 25 (18/19) to 29 ... his assists slightly dropped from 42 in 18/19 to a pro-rated 35 ... Habs need talented size that play to their size ... next in line is average sized talent that plays bigger than their size ... seems that may be Dadonov

I agree which is why I brought up his name. I would take him over hall.

Link to post
Share on other sites

With the Stall trade ... Hockey30 (as is their very raison d'etre) speculates that Stall was moved to make room for Domi or Danault ... with the 22nd pick as part of the deal ... what/who else would be reasonable?

 

Kaapo Kakko would further enhance the Finnish flavour of the Habs ... but the 22nd and Kakko is not a "win now" move ... also, ***might*** take more than Domi or Danault

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...