Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

Interesting new rumour today ... Aleksander Barkov in Florida may be on the market ... July 2022 UFA ... three years further along the development curve ... has a 35 goal season ... wonder if those two teams might "solve each others problems"?

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

Interesting new rumour today ... Aleksander Barkov in Florida may be on the market ... July 2022 UFA ... three years further along the development curve ... has a 35 goal season ... wonder if those two teams might "solve each others problems"?

The report from TSN yesterday was that teams are asking about him thinking Barkov won't re-sign.  They're being told that he's unavailable so no, he's not on the market.

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

Win now isn't necessarily the same as "win the Cup" ... in this case it is (IMO) go far enough this season to get the GM an extension, with the hope that all could fall into place with a Cup.

Fair enough. But I think this team is very much capable of (but not guaranteed!) getting into the conference finals, whether with Kotkaniemi or Dubois. I personally don't see Dubois as a "must-have", and I worry how badly the rest of the team might be impacted (whether directly because of the trade, or because of cap issues) if we go all in on him.

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

The report from TSN yesterday was that teams are asking about him thinking Barkov won't re-sign.  They're being told that he's unavailable so no, he's not on the market.

They may be told he's unavailable but MB said he wasn't looking to trade PK ... by which I mean nothing for or against that trade but just that GMs say what they have to say when asked such questions ... it may or may not be honest ... which is why I said "may".

HYPOTHETICAL THOUGHT:  How much would MB have to give away in terms of futures to make Jarmo Kekäläinen consider a deal with Byron, Lehkonen and the futures for Dubois?

***IF*** he could pull it off MB would obviously make the Habs better this year ... PLD, NS or KK would have to move to the wing for this season but it would upgrade the Habs from a good top 9 to an exceptional top 9.

19 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

HYPOTHETICAL THOUGHT:  How much would MB have to give away in terms of futures to make Jarmo Kekäläinen consider a deal with Byron, Lehkonen and the futures for Dubois?

The next three first-round picks?

On 1/15/2021 at 6:29 PM, GHT120 said:

***IF*** he could pull it off MB would obviously make the Habs better this year ... PLD, NS or KK would have to move to the wing for this season but it would upgrade the Habs from a good top 9 to an exceptional top 9.

The top 9 would be exceptional, but the cap situation would be unmanageable.  Right now,  there’s no way to resign the this years team without some real creative moves.  This off-season Tatar, Danault, Mete and KK will be looking for raises and there isn’t any cap space for it as it stands, without adding $5m for PLD in the mix.

9 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

The top 9 would be exceptional, but the cap situation would be unmanageable.  Right now,  there’s no way to resign the this years team without some real creative moves.  This off-season Tatar, Danault, Mete and KK will be looking for raises and there isn’t any cap space for it as it stands, without adding $5m for PLD in the mix.

It would definitely force MB to be creative if they acquired PLD. They do have some savings next year as Alzner's cap hit goes from 3.9 to 1.9M, the cap hit for Jake Allen goes down or disappears entirely if he is selected by the Seattle team. You are right that there will be raises forthcoming, especially Danault and KK depending on the year he has this year. Not sure that Mete can expect much. I expect that Tatar could be the one sacrificed to make things work next year.

1 minute ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

It would definitely force MB to be creative if they acquired PLD. They do have some savings next year as Alzner's cap hit goes from 3.9 to 1.9M, the cap hit for Jake Allen goes down or disappears entirely if he is selected by the Seattle team. You are right that there will be raises forthcoming, especially Danault and KK depending on the year he has this year. Not sure that Mete can expect much. I expect that Tatar could be the one sacrificed to make things work next year.

Not really a reply but building on your point in cap management next year. I expect most of the players to return, including Tatar.

I don’t know how, bu my hunch is that the Habs would do sufficiently well this year in the playoffs that new contracts (on a flat cap year) will be team friendly.

Also, players would want to be part of a cup contending team in Montreal

6 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

I have always assumed one of Tartar or Danault would be gone after this season ... PLD would likely (absent other roster moves to create additional cap space) mean both would be gone ... but adding a highly talented, BIG, young centre would be the upside ... you can't plan for next season every season.

Not a trade (technically ... but potentially ... sort-of) but this seemed the best thread ... 

Would he be an upgrade over Mete as the 7D?  

Even if just a lateral move, Honka is a RHD (Habs have only two on the roster) ... plus, it would save $35K (pro-rated) for the rest of the season ... NOTE: RHD Fleury is on the taxi squad but is (IMO) unlikely to get NHL time (absent injuries) and he might benefit more from playing in the AHL than practicing in Montreal ... and there is always a chance Mete could clear waivers and go to the taxi squad ... although, likely unlikely.

Id rather keep Mete as at least he is NHL proven where Honka is not.  Honka might be worth a pickup for a team with less d depth than we have though.

Romanov has looked good on RD.

Fleury likely goes to the AHL once that season starts so he will get game time.

40 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

I guess Dallas could not find anyone that was willing take him on a trade, so they need to take a chance on the waivers.

You would think Edmonton would roll the dice. They have the worst D in the conference- yea that includes Ottawa, who at least has at least one elite Defenceman.

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

I guess Dallas could not find anyone that was willing take him on a trade, so they need to take a chance on the waivers.

His value has cratered and he didn't have a great year in Finland either.  Even with Edmonton as H29 mentions, I don't think he's any better than any of the nine they have between the NHL roster and taxi squad.

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

His value has cratered and he didn't have a great year in Finland either.  Even with Edmonton as H29 mentions, I don't think he's any better than any of the nine they have between the NHL roster and taxi squad.

Yeah, I was surprised by his middling performance in Liiga. He doesn’t seem to be the player he was. I don’t think he has any nagging injuries so maybe he is demoralized or something similar and now no longer has the competitive drive he once had. Future potential still? Maybe, but the odds are getting longer.

• 3 weeks later...

*** IF *** MB has any deal pending with a US-based team, tonight is the time to make it ... and send a jet to bring the player to Montreal before midnight (semi-serious about that) ... Habs only have 4 games in the next 14 days ... not an issue with Scotia-North Division deals as "There are no preventive isolation measures for people arriving from other Canadian provinces".

*** NOT *** saying MB needs to make a trade, just that tonight is the perfect time

10 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

*** IF *** MB has any deal pending with a US-based team, tonight is the time to make it ... and send a jet to bring the player to Montreal before midnight (semi-serious about that) ... Habs only have 4 games in the next 14 days ... not an issue with Scotia-North Division deals as "There are no preventive isolation measures for people arriving from other Canadian provinces".

*** NOT *** saying MB needs to make a trade, just that tonight is the perfect time

I know you are not saying MB needs to make a trade but We should stick with our team. We have something special here

13 hours ago, zumpano21 said:

I sometimes wonder if Tatar should be moved before the deadline this year. He’s streaky at the best of times and tends to disappear in the playoffs.

I would not be surprised at all. That he was benched last night and we didn’t miss him isn’t an especially great sign.

Weird that our two highest-profile expiring contracts, Danault and Tatar, have both stunk out the joint this season, despite being on the best version of the Habs in their careers. Or maybe it’s because of that very fact - ?

45 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I would not be surprised at all. That he was benched last night and we didn’t miss him isn’t an especially great sign.

Weird that our two highest-profile expiring contracts, Danault and Tatar, have both stunk out the joint this season, despite being on the best version of the Habs in their careers. Or maybe it’s because of that very fact - ?

I have to wonder if both aren't perhaps a bit sensitive to, or pressured by, not having been extended ... especially Danault if he did in fact turn down the deal he is rumoured to have turned down ... I think both know that with a flat cap and revenue issues they won't be getting the offers they would have thought a year ago that they would get ... they know they need BIG (for them) seasons to get decent offers ... of course if that mental/emotional issue is impacting them there may be a question of whether they are worth betting on long-term

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I wouldn’t mind moving both - especially if Danault did turn down the offer that has been reported.  I really think we need an upgrade on D.  We probably lose both as UFA’s anyways and than lose another player in the expansion draft.

Even though our D is a weakness, I think we probably lose a dman or Allen.  At this point is I’d leave Chariot and Edmondson exposed over even a younger player like Mete. The only locks to protect are Petry and Weber.

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

I have to wonder if both aren't perhaps a bit sensitive to, or pressured by, not having been extended ... especially Danault if he did in fact turn down the deal he is rumoured to have turned down ... I think both know that with a flat cap and revenue issues they won't be getting the offers they would have thought a year ago that they would get ... they know they need BIG (for them) seasons to get decent offers ... of course if that mental/emotional issue is impacting them there may be a question of whether they are worth betting on long-term

Could be the case with Danault. Tatar is going to be streaky like all goal scorers.  I don’t think I’d want to resign either. Definitely not Danault fir what he’s already reportedly turned down. In any event, how many older guys can we afford lock up, when we’ll have Suzuki, KK and Romanov to deal with in the next two years and have around $19m committed long term to Price and Weber?  Petry and Gallagher’s cap hit and terms are okay, but with a flat cap, there isn’t a heck of a lot of flexibility.

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Could be. It might also be a case of those guys feeling a little more pressure in their contract years and that pressure is making it harder to perform. Some guys light it up in their contract years, some go the other way. It has made Tatar a little more expendable with Toffoli able to play the left side. 

9 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I wouldn’t mind moving both - especially if Danault did turn down the offer that has been reported.  I really think we need an upgrade on D.  We probably lose both as UFA’s anyways and than lose another player in the expansion draft.

Even though our D is a weakness, I think we probably lose a dman.  At this point is I’d leave Chariot and Edmondson exposed over even a younger player like Mete. The only locks to protect are Petry and Weber.

I agree, I still think we need another top 4 defenceman, they are not easy to find. I think of Chiarot, Edmondson and Kulak as valuable 3rd pairing defenceman but not top 4, Romanov will be a top 4 at some point. Hard to say where Mete will fit in, he has such great wheels however  defensively has a lot of work to do but he is only 22.