Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

25 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I am not saying that you focus totally on the future but I would be concerned if a GM wasn't somewhat forward looking especially in today's salary cap world.  Today's move getting Staal was a great move for the present without sacrificing much of the future, 

I think we need to get Ekholm now if at all possible. 

This is all in time IMO. 

Not that I want us to hurt the future through a bad deal but Ekholm directly addresses a big need and we have the trade capital to do it. 

We can win this year

14 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I think we need to get Ekholm now if at all possible. 

This is all in time IMO. 

Not that I want us to hurt the future through a bad deal but Ekholm directly addresses a big need and we have the trade capital to do it. 

We can win this year

I agree that Ekholm addresses a need, no doubt.  They will have to give up some of their future to get him. It's just a question of how much of their future is acceptable to give up as you want a legitimate shot at it every year like Detroit did for a number of years. 

43 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Don't disagree that they should ... but when a GM is looking at a years' paid vacation then unemployment their vision tends to get VERY short-term

Assuming the quote is accurate -- and was said in seriousness.

Just now, tomh009 said:

Assuming the quote is accurate -- and was said in seriousness.

Waite said it on TSN690 (start around 2:20) and I doubt MB would be kidding around when firing a guy ... at least I hope not ... and after the run MB has has (3 playoff appearances with largely the team he inherited and then one first round loss and four times missing the playoffs) it makes total sense to me ... and I feel his moves last fall reflect  his awareness of his vulnerability.

4 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Waite said it on TSN690 (start around 2:20) and I doubt MB would be kidding around when firing a guy ... at least I hope not ... and after the run MB has has (3 playoff appearances with largely the team he inherited and then one first round loss and four times missing the playoffs) it makes total sense to me ... and I feel his moves last fall reflect  his awareness of his vulnerability.

Fair enough on the quote.

But his offseason moves were ones we have been clamouring for, and they did not look like desperation moves (whether or not they actually were), he did not give away the future with those, other than some length contracts.

So, yeah, I'm sure he feels the pressure. Whether job security is the driving factor in his decisions, I can't tell.

8 hours ago, tomh009 said:

The Athletic had nine team exec proposals for deadline trades -- that they claimed made good sense. One of them was Eklund to Winnipeg, for Perreault, Heinola and a 1st.

That would match up fairly well with Armia, Brook and a 1st, I think.

I think you'd need to go a higher level on the prospect.  Heinola was a 1st rounder that hasn't looked out of place in his limited NHL action.  I think it has to be Guhle in that particular framework.

On MB's media zoom call today, a journalist (Arpon Basu?) asked if he was lookin gto get cap space through a trade. MB said price for cap space is high, the ask seem sot grow depending on how much cap space is involved.

I had been looking at proposing a trade with LAK because the y are in rebuild mode and they have a lot of cap space. Cap Friendly reports these 5 teams as having most cap room. What would you do?

TEAM   PROJECTED CAP HIT PROJECTED CAP SPACE

CURRENT CAP SPACE

Florida PanthersFlorida Panthers           $77,921,202       $3,578,798       $9,654,432
Detroit Red WingsDetroit Red Wings           $73,456,698       $8,043,302       $21,698,210
Ottawa SenatorsOttawa Senators           $72,660,642       $8,232,978       $22,209,894
New Jersey DevilsNew Jersey Devils           $73,256,854       $8,243,146       $22,237,324
Los Angeles KingsLos Angeles Kings           $71,644,960       $9,855,040       $26,585,689

18 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

On MB's media zoom call today, a journalist (Arpon Basu?) asked if he was lookin gto get cap space through a trade. MB said price for cap space is high, the ask seem sot grow depending on how much cap space is involved.

I had been looking at proposing a trade with LAK because the y are in rebuild mode and they have a lot of cap space. Cap Friendly reports these 5 teams as having most cap room. What would you do?

TEAM   PROJECTED CAP HIT PROJECTED CAP SPACE

CURRENT CAP SPACE

Florida PanthersFlorida Panthers           $77,921,202       $3,578,798       $9,654,432
Detroit Red WingsDetroit Red Wings           $73,456,698       $8,043,302       $21,698,210
Ottawa SenatorsOttawa Senators           $72,660,642       $8,232,978       $22,209,894
New Jersey DevilsNew Jersey Devils           $73,256,854       $8,243,146       $22,237,324
Los Angeles KingsLos Angeles Kings           $71,644,960       $9,855,040       $26,585,689

Byron is IMO the ideal contract to move out because it not only helps this season but for the next two as well ... but that also makes him the hardest to move.

• Don't want to face him frequently, so Ottawa is my least favourite option
  • LAK have lots of veteran players next season (Kopitar, Carter, Brown) so Byron doesn't necessarily have any utility to them ... meaning you likely have to "pay" them more"
  • NJD have a young team and likely let Zajac go as a UFA so Byron could have some utility to them, so perhaps a little less costly
  • Florida as a lot of 25+ players so may not need Byron's veteran leadership
  • Detroit may be the best target ... Byron strikes me as an Yzerman type player (fast, defensively responsible) and they aren't locked in to a lot of veteran leadership going forward

Out of the top-4 LDs that I would like the Habs to try to get (Cam Fowler, Hampus Lindholm, Esa Lindell, Ryan Suter and Jonas Brodin), I am crossing my fingers we can get Brodin in a trade like this:

To Montreal: Jonas Brodin 27 years old and a $4.166M this year, then  7 years at 6M/yr. He has a NTC

(That is a long contract that I am not sure MB would like)

To Minnesota: 2021 1st, Paul Byron ($3.4M/2.5 years left), Arthuri Lehkonen ($2.4M/0.5 yr) and Ryan Poehling ($0.9M/0.5yr)

What Minnesota would get cap hit and contract flexibility after this year, two NHLers to allow some of their prospects to continue developing in the minors while improving their roster, a good prospect from Lakeville Minnesota (Poehling), and a shot to a decent prospect in the draft.

Montreal becomes a cup contender.

What are the Habs losing of consequence out of that trade?  If you're trading for a cost-controlled top-four defenceman, it's going to hurt.  Losing Byron is no big deal, neither is Lehkonen whose usage is beginning to suggest he'll be let go anyway this summer (assuming Ducharme is still the coach).  Poehling isn't a high-ceiling prospect and a mid-round first is a mid-round first.  That's not all that much of a return for Minnesota.  They need a core piece if they're dealing a core guy and none of these assets qualify as that.  Brodin also has a full no-move clause that I'm not sure he'd waive that soon after signing.

Also regarding Minnesota, Matt Dumba is the one that's going to be moved.  It probably won't be at the trade deadline but by the time the expansion draft comes, he'll be somewhere else.

22 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

What are the Habs losing of consequence out of that trade?  If you're trading for a cost-controlled top-four defenceman, it's going to hurt.  Losing Byron is no big deal, neither is Lehkonen whose usage is beginning to suggest he'll be let go anyway this summer (assuming Ducharme is still the coach).  Poehling isn't a high-ceiling prospect and a mid-round first is a mid-round first.  That's not all that much of a return for Minnesota.  They need a core piece if they're dealing a core guy and none of these assets qualify as that.  Brodin also has a full no-move clause that I'm not sure he'd waive that soon after signing.

Also regarding Minnesota, Matt Dumba is the one that's going to be moved.  It probably won't be at the trade deadline but by the time the expansion draft comes, he'll be somewhere else.

I was just wishing for something like that. I thought Poehling and a First would be the value going the other way with the two others being cap space in return. It would allow them to protect Dumba

If it had a chance to stick, I would propose some added assets from the Habs; but I doubt MTL/MIN trade with each other this season.

Minnesota is also firmly in a playoff spot. 

Why are they trading their #1 defenceman?  Most points and most ice time on the team?  Who is at 4.16 million and then 6 million cap hit?

And you are giving 2 fourth line/13th forwards on this team... a 1st rounder and Ryan Poehling?

LOL

Trade has about as much chance of happening as the Habs trading for Connor McDavid.

12 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Minnesota is also firmly in a playoff spot. 

Why are they trading their #1 defenceman?  Most points and most ice time on the team?  Who is at 4.16 million and then 6 million cap hit?

And you are giving 2 fourth line/13th forwards on this team... a 1st rounder and Ryan Poehling?

LOL

Trade has about as much chance of happening as the Habs trading for Connor McDavid.

I am trying Commandant, looking at LDs I would like to sign. You know I suck at evaluating player's trade value (hence the potato head avatar), but I try.

Its not even so much value (which is off, yes); but Minnesota is not even thinking about trading Brodin.  It's like asking if the Habs are looking to trade Petry at the deadline.  Its a playoff team and they aren't giving up their #1 D.

I'd start with non-playoff teams if you are looking at the trade deadline. 

Or look at the TSN trade bait board for who is available. 

https://www.tsn.ca/tsn-hockey-s-trade-bait-list-1.203546

4 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Its not even so much value (which is off, yes); but Minnesota is not even thinking about trading Brodin.  It's like asking if the Habs are looking to trade Petry at the deadline.  Its a playoff team and they aren't giving up their #1 D.

I'd start with non-playoff teams if you are looking at the trade deadline. 

Or look at the TSN trade bait board for who is available. 

https://www.tsn.ca/tsn-hockey-s-trade-bait-list-1.203546

I tried those already and came out empty handed, best fit is NSH Ekholm. No one on the TSN list makes the Habs better.

1 minute ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I tried those already and came out empty handed, best fit is NSH Ekholm. No one on the TSN list makes the Habs better.

Yup, which is why Ekholm will cost a lot (supply/demand) and is pretty much the only person that Habs fans are talking about. 

Other teams that need a LD will be targetting him too. 

27 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Yup, which is why Ekholm will cost a lot (supply/demand) and is pretty much the only person that Habs fans are talking about. 

Yup, Minnesota seems firmly entrenched in a playoff spot right now and I don't seem them trading a defenceman unless they were offered a deal so good that they couldn't  say no too.  I don't want MB making that kind of offer.  Supply and demand does not favour the Habs right know when looking for a LD, Ekholm won't be cheap especially since he is under a decent contract for 1 more year.  Plus MB does not have any cap room. When you combine that with the prognosis for Chiarot returning early then I don't see a deal getting done. 

Dallas is in seventh place and seven points out of a playoff spot (Chicago, of all teams!) albeit with games on hand. Depending on how their next few games go, they may throw in the towel and sell. Or not.

Yes, Dallas, with the second-most loser points in the league ...

26 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Dallas is in seventh place and seven points out of a playoff spot (Chicago, of all teams!) albeit with games on hand. Depending on how their next few games go, they may throw in the towel and sell. Or not.

Yes, Dallas, with the second-most loser points in the league ...

But Dallas is already in LTIR ... they may be/become a trading partner (Olesiak - maybe ???) but doubt they would be a spot to just move cap-hit

5 hours ago, Commandant said:

I would go for David Savard who is a RD, if I can't get Ekholm. He has another year on his contract and can take on some of Webers minutes to spare Weber for the play-offs. That sets us up well for next year as well with Romanov moving up to the top 4.

Just now, Habs44 said:

I would go for David Savard who is a RD, if I can't get Ekholm. He has another year on his contract and can take on some of Webers minutes to spare Weber for the play-offs. That sets us up well for next year as well with Romanov moving up to the top 4.

I wouldn't mind Savard ... but he is a pending UFA so just a rental most likely

26 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

But Dallas is already in LTIR ... they may be/become a trading partner (Olesiak - maybe ???) but doubt they would be a spot to just move cap-hit

Not for cap space, no. I was thinking of prying a decent D from them.

14 hours ago, GHT120 said:

14 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Not for cap space, no. I was thinking of prying a decent D from them.

Given the flow of the discussion, I was just covering all the bases.

I would seem that Olesiak is the most likely to be traded ... he is a pending UFA ...  Stars have a clear "Big Three" (used ironically) in TOI ...  JO is 3-ish minutes behind that trio, but he is also 3+ minutes above his previous TOI high ... not certain he is what the Habs need