Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

I read your article Brian and I must admit that I would sacrifice our own 2nd for a guy like Cody McLoed + a late pick.

He would fit really nicely.

I would also like Mcleod, but I think a 2nd is too high. A 3rd - 4th liner is 4th pick at best, unless packaged. Maybe a 2nd + prospect if they throw in Hejduk. Would fill our need for a 3rd line winger for Chucky and Eller, one with experience.

Ryder - Pleks - Gionta

Wolvie - DD - Gallagher

Chucky - Eller - Hejduk

Prust - Halpern - McLeod

White, Bourque(until he's ok, unless we trade him)

Got a nice grindy 4th line with 2 guys that will drop the gloves. Give us Armstrong and Moen for added depth or to trade for a defenseman. With Bourque not at 100%, gives him time to come back to 100% and slot him in the lineup over one of the rookies if they struggle.

I still think Canadiens fans greatly undervalue Travis Moen and don't realize that these fourth line scraps you covet couldn't hold Moen's jockstrap on a bad day in a penalty kill or top line grind situation.

Moen is a big game player. Moen was great for us against Boston. You need him on the roster in a playoff run.

• Upvote 1

I still think Canadiens fans greatly undervalue Travis Moen and don't realize that these fourth line scraps you covet couldn't hold Moen's jockstrap on a bad day in a penalty kill or top line grind situation.

Moen is a big game player. Moen was great for us against Boston. You need him on the roster in a playoff run.

I agree only way Moen doesn't crack the regular playoff line up is if the Habs trade for a significant upgrade.

Agreed... Moen is more useful then most give him credit for... which is why I cannot see MB overpaying for Clowe.

I also think Armstrong has played well enough to earn a regular spot on the 4th line for the playoff run.. too many people keep benching him when he has done quite well.

The Habs are stocked on forwards, so I could see a 2 for 1 deal as an upgrade...

The more I think about it the more I want MB to add a top notch Defenceman... With Markov + Addition, Subban and Gorges, and Emelin and Boullion... really would make the Habs tougher to play against. If you want to win you have to build on your strengths and Price is the strength of the team... give him one more great D and look out...

So, from my list of players in the final part of my deadline series (it can be found on the main site), here is a trade proposal (since I promised I'd post one):

To Edmonton: MTL 3rd in 2013

To Montreal: LW/RW Ryan Jones

For Edmonton, Jones has been struggling since returning to the lineup, this frees up a spot for a youngster down the stretch. Jones would probably slide in on the 4th line to start with Montreal while logging some PK time. However, he'd supplant Moen/Armstrong as the first player to be promoted should injuries/benchings arise.

Yeah, about that article...

Regehr isn't mentioned as a possibility? I know he's not the player he was in 2004, but he plays the PK (leads Buffalo's defensemen in time on ice shorthanded), he throws the body, he's good for 18 minutes a game, and he's currently overpaid but an UFA in 3 months.

No way would I trade Beaulieu to get bouwmeester. Why would you want to move one of your top defensive prospects (1a/1b), for a guy who has NEVER been in the playoffs in the NHL or Junior?

Yes he eats big minutes but he doesn't make those around hon better and has never raised his game when it counted.

I agree with you on Bouwmeester success, however I am wondering how many football teams would be lined up to take Dan Marino at anytime during his playing career? Maybe if we didn't have a glut of top notch defense prospects this would not make sense. Without going to our current roster, this is where we got depth. If you are going to buy you have to have an acceptable currency. If you are saying he wouldn't be a good fit in Montreal, I would disagree. I think he is a perfect complimentary piece for what we have already.

Oh goodness... Boumeester would put the Habs over the top this year... I would definitely trade one of our d prospects for him...

With a top 4 of Markov - Emelin, Subban - Boumeester... Yikes. Even Gorges - Boullion allow you to match up to the stacked Pens.

Yeah, about that article...

Regehr isn't mentioned as a possibility? I know he's not the player he was in 2004, but he plays the PK (leads Buffalo's defensemen in time on ice shorthanded), he throws the body, he's good for 18 minutes a game, and he's currently overpaid but an UFA in 3 months.

Sure, he's a possibility. I didn't cover every possible name. The one thing with him is that he'll cost considerably more than Leopold to get, would the Habs be willing to part with a higher pick for a pure rental? I'm leaning towards guessing no which is why I went with Leopold over Regehr in there.

i think Ryder and Halpern are enough and if Bergevin stands pat till next thursday, good by me.

Will basically be adding Prust-Diaz and Bourque over next month, which should be good enough for all depth needed.

Trade prosal...

Tinordi, White, and a 2nd round pick for Boumeester and Stempniak.

Value wise I'd say you're in the neighbourhood of what the Flames would want - I think he'll fetch more than Iginla if he does go. As I noted with the last Bouwmeester proposal though, how do you fit him in on the cap for next year? A Kaberle compliance buyout alone wouldn't do it, at least one or two others would have to be dealt as well.

It's not just next year. If you are paying Bouwmeester $6.75m. What do you pay Subban on his next deal - $8m?

Value wise I'd say you're in the neighbourhood of what the Flames would want - I think he'll fetch more than Iginla if he does go. As I noted with the last Bouwmeester proposal though, how do you fit him in on the cap for next year? A Kaberle compliance buyout alone wouldn't do it, at least one or two others would have to be dealt as well.

It's all good. i would just add this to the discussion. The 64 m cap is just an artifical number that we are aiming for. Since I have not heard of any fall out from the lock out, could we not expect a cap back at the 70M mark?

Trade prosal...

I can't stomach Montreal trading away another defence prospect, even to land Bouwmeester. Tinordi is here to stay. MB can't trade him (or Beaulieu). Let's build our blueline from within first, and then sign a crafty veteran if need be.

Projected blueline (2015)

Subban - Tinordi

Markov - Emelin

Diaz - Gorges

Beaulieu - Patteryn

Trade prosal...

NOOOOOO! That reminds me of an Houle deal. No. No. Ten thousand time NO! And, obviously, I do Not think Jay Bowmeester is the key missing piece in our quest for the 25th

Look guys, let's not bog this thread down with realistic proposals that involve giving up GOOD assets to get GOOD players.

Let's try and determine what superstars we can get with our scrap pile.

Now, Malkin is UFA after next season so the Penguins are probably looking to get anything possible for him. How about Ryder, Weber and a 2nd?

Too much?

• Upvote 1

I can't stomach Montreal trading away another defence prospect, even to land Bouwmeester. Tinordi is here to stay. MB can't trade him (or Beaulieu). Let's build our blueline from within first, and then sign a crafty veteran if need be.

Projected blueline (2015)

Subban - Tinordi

Markov - Emelin

Diaz - Gorges

Beaulieu - Patteryn

It's this type of post that makes me HOPE MB trades a D prospect for Bouwmeester...

The Habs have lots of talent on the backend, so why not give up a little bit to go for the Cup this year. Trading Beaulieu (in your scenario a 7th Dman) for a proven minute eater who can play against the top lines in the playoffs seems like a no brainer to me... DO IT!

It's this type of post that makes me HOPE MB trades a D prospect for Bouwmeester...

The Habs have lots of talent on the backend, so why not give up a little bit to go for the Cup this year. Trading Beaulieu (in your scenario a 7th Dman) for a proven minute eater who can play against the top lines in the playoffs seems like a no brainer to me... DO IT!

Problem with your statement is the "who can play against the top lines in playoffs" because Bouwmeester you see...

Problem with your statement is the "who can play against the top lines in playoffs" because Bouwmeester you see...

Bouwmeester and Subban would be DYNAMITE. Roll those two against Malkin and Iginla and let Markov and Emelin focus on Crosby.

Bouwmeester and Subban would be DYNAMITE. Roll those two against Malkin and Iginla and let Markov and Emelin focus on Crosby.

While Bouwmeester is a veteran in the NHL, you cannot expect him to perform like anything other than a rookie in the playoffs. He has never been in the playoffs, he has no playoff experience. Let's not lose sight of that.

• Upvote 1

While Bouwmeester is a veteran in the NHL, you cannot expect him to perform like anything other than a rookie in the playoffs. He has never been in the playoffs, he has no playoff experience. Let's not lose sight of that.

Huh? The game doesn't change from Hockey to Racketball... they still play hockey in the playoffs. A veteran like Bouwmeester has played in enough NHL games that thinking he'd perform like a "rookie" is laughable.

He's a high quality NHL defenceman. Adding him, without subtracting any key player from the lineup, would make the team better...

I just think paying a guy $6.5M who hasn't played one playoff game is a risk. When making a trade at the deadline you want playoff experience, not a question mark. Bouwmeester is too much risk than reward.

• Upvote 1

Playing GM just isn't my scene. But I'd love to see them get Jagr to play with Pleks. Is one of our 2nd round picks too much? Not enough? Would a prospect be needed? I was so surprised Molson bought out Gomez. A nice playoff run with plenty of home dates would be a nice reward for cutting that big cheque.

Playing GM just isn't my scene. But I'd love to see them get Jagr to play with Pleks. Is one of our 2nd round picks too much? Not enough? Would a prospect be needed? I was so surprised Molson bought out Gomez. A nice playoff run with plenty of home dates would be a nice reward for cutting that big cheque.

I think at this point, a 2nd plus something else will be warranted. Come deadline day, the price may come down a tad but for now (with Dallas talking extension with him), they're going to want more than just a 2nd I would guess.