Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

Yeah good points. He doesn't get along with Noel, apparently, so maybe a little MT magic might help, his agent sez he is not going back to the KHL. If we don't give up much we could maybe take a flyer on him, his game seem to fit what we doing in Montreal. He was 1st rounder #8 overall so the skill level is there, but his head may not be. :habslogo:

Yeah, Gandler was smart to get out in front of the KHL thing and make sure it's not reported that he'd go there next year. If memory serves me right, the threat was at the beginning of this year since he didn't want to report to the minors when the lockout started. I don't think the asking price will be cheap though given the skill level and the fact he still has several years before he becomes a UFA.

Bergevin said something in his presser along the lines of 'anyone with their own agenda won't be on this team.' Burmistrov in his young history has reportedly threatened to go back to the KHL (while under contract) and is now demanding a trade because he feels he isn't being played enough...and did so at the trade deadline as well. This after not even 200 career NHL games. Don't get me wrong, I like Burmistrov (a former Barrie Colt no less) and he'd be a useful player but those elements don't exactly suggest he's a high character player, which Bergevin made a point of mentioning about every third sentence in his press conference. As a result, I can't see the Habs pursuing him.

Then again, Grabovski had similar character issues with us and went on to become an important contributor and even assistant captain in TO. I think our problem then was a lack of internal leadership structure, which hopefully we have now. Not only within the players and coaches, but within the management, to take care of these kinds of problems before they go beyond the point of no return.

You're right, Bergevin's comments would suggest that Burmistrov isn't the kind of acquisition he's looking to make, but he'll probably at least inquire about it. It's not often that you can get top level skill at a discount, if you can avoid a locker room distraction.

Then again, Grabovski had similar character issues with us and went on to become an important contributor and even assistant captain in TO. I think our problem then was a lack of internal leadership structure, which hopefully we have now. Not only within the players and coaches, but within the management, to take care of these kinds of problems before they go beyond the point of no return.

You're right, Bergevin's comments would suggest that Burmistrov isn't the kind of acquisition he's looking to make, but he'll probably at least inquire about it. It's not often that you can get top level skill at a discount, if you can avoid a locker room distraction.

I wouldn't take that rat back on the team for free.

My favourite part of watching Habs/Leafs games is the hope that Grabovski will skate up Subban's wing with his head down.

Guest Stogey24

Brumistov is not on Montreal's radar. We already have guys capable of doing what he does.

Edited by Stogey24

Brumistov is not on Montreal's radar. We already have guys capable of doing what he does.

yes we do but he is bigger and possibly more skilled or at least as skilled than say desharnais. It is only a suggestion.

So, uh, who wouldn't like to see Yakupov and Galchenyuk reunited on the Habs?

What would that take?

DD or Plek with Markov and Diaz or Weber and some seconds or one of Dietz, Thrower, Pateryn or Bennett.. or Maybe either of Collberg or Kristo.

I personally feel there are tones of options to move up in the draft or trade for a young stud. Lots of tradable vets. Good second tier D prospects. Some possiblle offensivly elite smallish wingers. Realistically... we cant have a roster with DD, Gallagher, Kristo, Collberg and Hudon.

Imo, the time is right, and Bergevin should put his stamp on this team with a quality move and consolidate some resources.

I also think that Detroit knocking out Chicago could be a blessing in disguise..

So, uh, who wouldn't like to see Yakupov and Galchenyuk reunited on the Habs?

What would that take?

DD or Plek with Markov and Diaz or Weber and some seconds or one of Dietz, Thrower, Pateryn or Bennett.. or Maybe either of Collberg or Kristo.

I personally feel there are tones of options to move up in the draft or trade for a young stud. Lots of tradable vets. Good second tier D prospects. Some possiblle offensivly elite smallish wingers. Realistically... we cant have a roster with DD, Gallagher, Kristo, Collberg and Hudon.

Imo, the time is right, and Bergevin should put his stamp on this team with a quality move and consolidate some resources.

I also think that Detroit knocking out Chicago could be a blessing in disguise..

any indication that the oilers would be willing to trade yaks? I would love to have him. But probably too expensive for us at this point. Oh and why is Chicago losing a blessing? just wondering.

any indication that the oilers would be willing to trade yaks? I would love to have him. But probably too expensive for us at this point. Oh and why is Chicago losing a blessing? just wondering.

I wouldn't call it a blessing in disguise but the Habs' draft picks would move up a notch (to 24, 54, etc). Plus, a soon-to-be division rival getting at best the 27th pick instead of one in the teens never hurts.

Well, it has been a little while since an actual proposal was made in here so I'll give it a go. Desharnais seems to be the one that everyone wants gone but his value isn't going to be overly high at the moment given his late season struggles leading into his new contract. With that in mind, this is about where I peg his value at the moment:

To Montreal: David Jones

To Colorado: David Desharnais

(Straight up isn't great, a deal with these two likely would need a bit of balancing but that would be the core of the trade)

Both players are 'change of scenery' guys. Jones has one less year on his deal but makes $4 M per instead of Desharnais' $3.5. He had an awful year in 2012-13 but before that had two straight 20 goal seasons. At 6'2, 210, he would add some needed size to the wing - he isn't a power forward by any stretch but he's not soft. He's not overly old either (will turn 29 in the summer). For Colorado, they save a bit of money in the short-term, hedge their centre situation with Stastny soon to be a UFA (and O'Reilly's offer sheet deal expiring), and get a little younger.

I don't expect anyone to think this is a terrific deal but that's the point. If you want to trade Desharnais, it's not going to be for a high end guy or a top draft pick. My guess is that it probably is going to be a move like this.

Well, it has been a little while since an actual proposal was made in here so I'll give it a go. Desharnais seems to be the one that everyone wants gone but his value isn't going to be overly high at the moment given his late season struggles leading into his new contract. With that in mind, this is about where I peg his value at the moment:

(Straight up isn't great, a deal with these two likely would need a bit of balancing but that would be the core of the trade)

Both players are 'change of scenery' guys. Jones has one less year on his deal but makes $4 M per instead of Desharnais' $3.5. He had an awful year in 2012-13 but before that had two straight 20 goal seasons. At 6'2, 210, he would add some needed size to the wing - he isn't a power forward by any stretch but he's not soft. He's not overly old either (will turn 29 in the summer). For Colorado, they save a bit of money in the short-term, hedge their centre situation with Stastny soon to be a UFA (and O'Reilly's offer sheet deal expiring), and get a little younger.

I don't expect anyone to think this is a terrific deal but that's the point. If you want to trade Desharnais, it's not going to be for a high end guy or a top draft pick. My guess is that it probably is going to be a move like this.

This is a great, thoughtful post. Nice to read a REALISTIC trade proposal for once. And, without claiming much expertise about Jones, I'd at least consider making that trade. He'd help us in an area of positional weakness (RW) and represent a guy who might be able to do some minutes now and then in the top-6 if he can recover his mojo, or else stand in front of the net on the PP. This was the same logic that led me to advocate signing Fatendresse.

I also think Colorado has been a pathetic environment for the last couple of seasons, so it may not be fair to give up on Jones altogether just because he floundered in an inept organization. The obvious problem is the salary - you also have to factor in the cost of Desharnais's eventual replacement, unless Galy is ready for C duty - and that is why this proposal will probably be crapped on by most posters around here.

Given their Quebec fetish, I fully expect the Avs to pounce on any such offer, though.

I don't think we necassrily need to trade DD. I'd rather convert him to the wing, where he played effectively when he was called up originally. Put him with Eller and maxpac, or Galy squared, or pleks and Bourque. This allows us to see if he can still contribute offensively after a terrible second half and playoffs.

At worst we move him during the year. If he is effective, we keep him, or he increases his trade value.

The guys I'd want to move are moen (doesn't play with the toughness needed from a guy his size - just isn't mean enough), gorges (we need our defensive dman to be tougher and more physical, given the way the game is being called), Gionta (he just doesn't bring it on a regular basis anymore and is clearly past his best before date, he is also not effective in front of the net).

The other guy I'd add is Bourque. He had a good year, but given what I've seen in him in Calgary I don't expect that to continue. I do expect to see the continuance of brain dead plays and dumb penalties. May as well move him before his value goes down.

Trade proposal I'd offer is Gorges, bourque, Moen, our 1st and 3rd for Paajarvi and edmonton's first.

I also think Colorado has been a pathetic environment for the last couple of seasons, so it may not be fair to give up on Jones altogether just because he floundered in an inept organization. The obvious problem is the salary - you also have to factor in the cost of Desharnais's eventual replacement, unless Galy is ready for C duty - and that is why this proposal will probably be crapped on by most posters around here.

My biggest hesitation with the proposal is whether or not Galchenyuk is ready to be a full-time C. If the Habs were leery about his readiness, they could look to pick up a veteran guy on a one year deal to play a 3rd line C role (and then shuffle to the wing if/when Galchenyuk's ready). The centre market isn't terribly deep but it's better at the low end (3rd/4th liners) than the high end (1st/2nd) and wouldn't cripple the salary situation either.

Trading Desharnais for a winger doesn't make sense until Galchenyuk shows he's ready to be a centerman, or we sign a player for 3rd line duty and hope Eller has truly become a 2nd line guy.

I'm not confident in either option yet.

Trade proposal I'd offer is Gorges, bourque, Moen, our 1st and 3rd for Paajarvi and edmonton's first.

Why does Edmonton do that? They take on a boatload of salary (for secondary pieces at best) and give up the 7th overall pick which in this draft has the potential to be a very important core piece. I don't see Edmonton as being a good trade partner for the Habs for reasons we've been over before.

Matheson and other Edmonton writers have been clam outing for the Oilers to move in secondary pieces, character guys and size.

They also have trouble signing UFA's. bourque is a local boy from a small town near Edmonton and Moen and Gorges are western boys. All are signed long-term and would allow them to buy-out Horcoff and have Bourque and Moen take his place at a smaller cap hit.

There is already talk of Edmonton moving down in the draft according to Matheson.

Why does Edmonton do that? They take on a boatload of salary (for secondary pieces at best) and give up the 7th overall pick which in this draft has the potential to be a very important core piece. I don't see Edmonton as being a good trade partner for the Habs for reasons we've been over before.

Mathewson and other Edmonton writers have been clam outing for the Oilers to move in secondary pieces, character guys and size.

They also have trouble signing UFA's. bourque is a local boy from a small town near Edmonton and Moen and Gorges are western boys. All are signed long-term and would allow them to buy-out Horcoff and have Bourque and Moen take his place at a smaller cap hit.

There is already talk of Edmonton moving down in the draft according to Matheson.

Okay, that logic makes sense. Is it worth moving down in the draft to add secondary guys though? Those are the types of players you try to peddle second round picks for, not a draft pick that is likely to yield a front liner. There's a need for Edmonton for those players you listed, but I know if the Habs had a top 10 pick and chose to drop down ~15 spots to add an additional $7 M of secondary players (and that includes backing out Paajarvi's cap hit), I'd be less than impressed.

The reason I added the 1st rounder is that it sounds like it is available. Bourque can be a second line guy for them.

Frankly I'd ask for the 1st and then try to swap seconds if that doesn't work. From everything I've read the oilers are looking to add the type of guys I've listed. I also think they'd be interested in Gionta if it wasn't for his most recent injury, although I doubt Gionta would be willing to go there.

Okay, that logic makes sense. Is it worth moving down in the draft to add secondary guys though? Those are the types of players you try to peddle second round picks for, not a draft pick that is likely to yield a front liner. There's a need for Edmonton for those players you listed, but I know if the Habs had a top 10 pick and chose to drop down ~15 spots to add an additional $7 M of secondary players (and that includes backing out Paajarvi's cap hit), I'd be less than impressed.

The reason I added the 1st rounder is that it sounds like it is available. Bourque can be a second line guy for them.

Frankly I'd ask for the 1st and then try to swap seconds if that doesn't work. From everything I've read the oilers are looking to add the type of guys I've listed. I also think they'd be interested in Gionta if it wasn't for his most recent injury, although I doubt Gionta would be willing to go there.

There's a difference in saying they'd entertain trading down compared to whether a pick is readily available (to go that far down). I could see them dropping from 7 to 10 or so and acquiring another pick or a player of some sort but that's a far cry from 7 to 24 or 25 (still TBD). If a team is going down that far, it has to be for a more substantial piece and as much as Bourque and Gorges in particular are quality guys, neither qualifies to me as substantial enough.

Swapping seconds (37 and 54/55) with one of the players you proposed (probably not Moen, his value isn't that high) to me would be a lot more realistic. I could only see the Habs doing that though if they all but knew they were landing someone via free agency or had another trade lined up to fill the vacated spot. They just don't seem to line up well as trading partners.

You gotta keep in mind what Piitsburgh gave up for Douglas Murrey. I think Gorges is better then him - not nearly as physical, but gorges is the better dman. I think if you offer the Oilers a package to fill multiple holes and obtain guys signed for multiple years, that would be worth something to a team like oilers, given their difficulty in signing UFA's.

There's a difference in saying they'd entertain trading down compared to whether a pick is readily available (to go that far down). I could see them dropping from 7 to 10 or so and acquiring another pick or a player of some sort but that's a far cry from 7 to 24 or 25 (still TBD). If a team is going down that far, it has to be for a more substantial piece and as much as Bourque and Gorges in particular are quality guys, neither qualifies to me as substantial enough.

Swapping seconds (37 and 54/55) with one of the players you proposed (probably not Moen, his value isn't that high) to me would be a lot more realistic. I could only see the Habs doing that though if they all but knew they were landing someone via free agency or had another trade lined up to fill the vacated spot. They just don't seem to line up well as trading partners.

You gotta keep in mind what Piitsburgh gave up for Douglas Murrey. I think Gorges is better then him - not nearly as physical, but gorges is the better dman. I think if you offer the Oilers a package to fill multiple holes and obtain guys signed for multiple years, that would be worth something to a team like oilers, given their difficulty in signing UFA's.

There's a lot of players better than Murray and his UFA status increased his value. Gorges has 5 years left at a rate that a lot would agree is an overpayment which hinders his. That said, I agree that he'd fit a need - as would the other guys you proposed - but just not for a top 10 pick. I believe they could accomplish acquiring players of that ilk for more secondary pieces (2nd round picks, prospects, perhaps Paajarvi in a 1-1 swap) without losing the #7 pick which would make more sense for them.

My biggest hesitation with the proposal is whether or not Galchenyuk is ready to be a full-time C. If the Habs were leery about his readiness, they could look to pick up a veteran guy on a one year deal to play a 3rd line C role (and then shuffle to the wing if/when Galchenyuk's ready). The centre market isn't terribly deep but it's better at the low end (3rd/4th liners) than the high end (1st/2nd) and wouldn't cripple the salary situation either.

Bring back Koivu? ^_^

Alternative to David Jones, what about Drew Stafford?

The competition for top 6 icetime would be phenomenal.

Alternative to David Jones, what about Drew Stafford?

The competition for top 6 icetime would be phenomenal.

Stafford is a comparable to Jones for sure, he certainly could benefit from a change of scenery. There would always be a concern about dealing within the division though (I know for some it's not an issue but others really don't like the idea). But value wise it's on par with Jones.

Stafford is a comparable to Jones for sure, he certainly could benefit from a change of scenery. There would always be a concern about dealing within the division though (I know for some it's not an issue but others really don't like the idea). But value wise it's on par with Jones.

Quite frankly, I would do either of those deals but I am not sure if either of the other teams would touch it. My guess is that you are more libel to get it done in a package. I agree that filling center ice may become an issue. I would also add that, you don't know if Eller comes back to the player he aspires to be. Sometimes with those major injuries, the player is never the same. As Hab Retired stated, it might be wiser to hold on to DD for a little bit.

Guest Stogey24

Quite frankly, I would do either of those deals but I am not sure if either of the other teams would touch it. My guess is that you are more libel to get it done in a package. I agree that filling center ice may become an issue. I would also add that, you don't know if Eller comes back to the player he aspires to be. Sometimes with those major injuries, the player is never the same. As Hab Retired stated, it might be wiser to hold on to DD for a little bit.

I think on the brighter side of the Eller situation, is the fact that he has the off season to forget about that Goliath collision. Those kind of hits can really scare a guy off the puck. Lets hope he shakes those jitters off.