Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

Just rewatched all of Bourque's goals from last season. Most came from within 5 feet of the net, and most involved some kind of power move to the net.

He averages over a hit a game, has been suspended twice for illegal checks (and has actually worked towards not being a dirty hitter) and constantly goes to the dirty areas... how much bigger does he need to play?

I swear, sometimes I think Thor himself could play for Montreal and we'd nitpick his play. "That pussy? He had a chance to crush Chara's skull with Mjölner and didn't. A guy his size should literally be killing opposing players on the ice. How bout Thor, Desharnais and a 2nd for Hercules?"

7:58am, made my day.

Guest Stogey24

Just rewatched all of Bourque's goals from last season. Most came from within 5 feet of the net, and most involved some kind of power move to the net.

He averages over a hit a game, has been suspended twice for illegal checks (and has actually worked towards not being a dirty hitter) and constantly goes to the dirty areas... how much bigger does he need to play?

I swear, sometimes I think Thor himself could play for Montreal and we'd nitpick his play. "That pussy? He had a chance to crush Chara's skull with Mjölner and didn't. A guy his size should literally be killing opposing players on the ice. How bout Thor, Desharnais and a 2nd for Hercules?"

I'm advocate of borque. The one problem with him is that he tends to not show up SOME night. 2011-12 season borque had 8 points and the 2012-2013 he had 13 points. That's just not enough for a coveted power forward/goal scorer.

I don't think Bourque will ever be a guy you can count on to bring "it" night after night after night. To my imperfect knowledge, he's never been that guy. However, the Bourque of last season brought it reliably enough to make himself a very valuable element of a team that desperately lacks dirty-mean-bastard power forwards who drive the net. I think of him as an upgrade on Andre Kostitsyn, playing a comparable role on the team - just meaner and less of a worthless drunken bum. Otherwise put, I'd rather have him on the team doing his thing for 65% of games than not have him at all. Now if he relapses into his 2011 form, that's another story; THAT Bourque was an absolute and total waste of roster space.

• Upvote 2

Guest Stogey24

Someone who would look great on the habs is Matt Martin. Not really sure who the Isles would be after. Throw Moen in there though for sure.

Markov, Moen and Desh for Strome/Martin?

The Isles would be taking on over $10 million in salary (slightly less if they have Strome in the NHL), they'd never do that (heck, getting them to take on $1.0 million right now may be a challenge). Martin is a fan favourite for them and a very important player (especially now with him and Clutterbuck to mix things up). I don't think they move him unless it's part of a bigger deal to get them an upgrade. It's too team-friendly of a contract to part with otherwise.

I so much want a Desharnais for Stafford swap.

FORWARDS
Max Pacioretty ($4.500m) / Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m) / Brian Gionta ($5.000m)
Alex Galchenyuk ($3.225m) / Danny Briere ($4.000m) / Drew Stafford ($4.000m)
Rene Bourque ($3.333m) / Lars Eller ($1.325m) / Brendan Gallagher ($0.870m)
Travis Moen ($1.850m) / Ryan White ($0.700m) / Brandon Prust ($2.500m)
George Parros ($0.938m)
DEFENSEMEN
Andrei Markov ($5.750m) / P.K. Subban ($2.875m)
Josh Gorges ($3.900m) / Raphael Diaz ($1.225m)
Jarred Tinordi ($1.083m) / Francis Bouillon ($1.500m)
Alexei Emelin ($2.000m) / Davis Drewiske ($0.638m)
GOALTENDERS
Carey Price ($6.500m)
Peter Budaj ($1.400m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,110,833; BONUSES: $2,697,500
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $2,886,667

and plenty of cap space left for some D help (especially if Tinordi is sent down).

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS

(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,110,833; BONUSES: $2,697,500

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $2,886,667

and plenty of cap space left for some D help (especially if Tinordi is sent down).

Depends on how many bonuses Gallagher/Galchenyuk/Tinordi can hit. Management would be wise to leave some sort of allowance for bonuses so in reality, there isn't a ton of room for a D (or much else) - there's Tinordi's salary plus a few hundred thousand (the rest going to bonus or injury/recall/future acquisition allowances). I don't think you want to go into this season planning to go over the cap via the bonus cushion - that's a decision you make if you're in contention closer to the deadline but ideally not now.

Sabres fans seem to have a low opinion of Stafford.

Understandably so given that he had just six goals last year. He has the big ticket deal ($4M for another two years) and has scored over 20 goals just once in his career so they're assuming he's as tough to move as many perceive Desharnais to be.

Guest Stogey24

Understandably so given that he had just six goals last year. He has the big ticket deal ($4M for another two years) and has scored over 20 goals just once in his career so they're assuming he's as tough to move as many perceive Desharnais to be.

He needs to get out of Buffalo

Or maybe he's just not that good.

He had one season with an unsustainably high shooting percentage.

In the year he got 30 goals, he had a shooting percentage of 17.3%..... anything over 12% is a big warning sign that a guy can't continue at that level of production.

In the last two years his numbers regressed as he shot 8.8% and 5.0%

Nearly all forwards in the NHL will have a shooting percentage between 8 and 12 % over their career. If you see a season that is drastically out of whack with that (either too high or too low), it likely means the pace is unsustainable. For a guy who is too low, the goals will go in if he keeps shooting. For a guy too high, they are gonna stop going in eventually.

It seems to be a general mistake to reward a guy with a fat contract based on one season.

It's not always an avoidable mistake; sometimes the guy has a great 'contract' year, and you're stuck either losing him or paying up.

Nevertheless, the One Season Reward seems to be a reliable recipe for cap headaches.

So how about this for a crazy idea.

To Edmonton:

Diaz

To Montreal:

Hartikainen + pick

Frees up 1.25M in cap space bringing our cap space to ~4.5M. Sign Hainsey for 3 years @ 3.5M-4M. Defense sorted out. Hartikainen will be a good 3rd-4th line checker in the future. Still gives us Pleks/Eller/DD to move for any other piece we might need, or cap space to sign Hainsey.

Hainsey - Subban

Gorges - Markov

Emelin - Boullion

So how about this for a crazy idea.

To Edmonton:

Diaz

To Montreal:

Hartikainen + pick

Frees up 1.25M in cap space bringing our cap space to ~4.5M. Sign Hainsey for 3 years @ 3.5M-4M. Defense sorted out. Hartikainen will be a good 3rd-4th line checker in the future. Still gives us Pleks/Eller/DD to move for any other piece we might need, or cap space to sign Hainsey.

Hainsey - Subban

Gorges - Markov

Emelin - Boullion

When did Ron Hainsey become a 1st pair dman ?!?!

When did Ron Hainsey become a 1st pair dman ?!?!

He isn't. He's a second pairing guy. Can play 20 minutes a game but certainly not a guy you sign for any serious length of time. Carolina and Columbus are the top teams going for him from what I've read. If you believe tinfoil hats, none of the owners want him on their team.

hainsey at 3.5 per year is not a bad idea, but I doubt he takes it. He wants more like 4 to 4.5 and I wouldn't go that high. If the owners don't want him on their team due to his lockout activities ? I find that ridiculous. These are the same guys who will sign anybody for stupid money, now suddenly they have standards. Yeah right! :habslogo:

hainsey at 3.5 per year is not a bad idea, but I doubt he takes it. He wants more like 4 to 4.5 and I wouldn't go that high. If the owners don't want him on their team due to his lockout activities ? I find that ridiculous. These are the same guys who will sign anybody for stupid money, now suddenly they have standards. Yeah right! :habslogo:

Exactly! Hainsey at 3.5 is ok, anything above is a no.

We don't need a first pairing guy to play with Subban, just a quality top 4 player.

At this point, PK is the only true first pairing D man we have.

Yes with Markovs slow down last year I'd have to agree, but I will hope Markov gets a little quicker after finally playing a full season.

As I'm sure you're all aware Andrei wears a massive knee brace, the more he plays and gets comfortable with it should help.

Heck maybe one day he will have the confidence to play with out it....that would certainly help his mobility.

Do we really want Hollywood Hainsey back?

Subban Gorges

Markov Hainsey

Boullion Tinordi

Diaz..

Or

Subban Tinordi

Markov Gorges

Boullion Diaz

Drewiske

You tell me.. Add Emelin to that 1st group.. Solid. It'd be like making a mid season trade when Emelin comes back.

Subban Emelin

Hainsey Gorges

Markov Tinordi....